PDA

View Full Version : CFN's official preseason top 5

3afan
08-01-2006, 07:19 AM
http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rankings/Preview2006_1_10.htm

5. Miami
Predicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 10-1 2005 Record: 9-3
Why Miami should be No. 1 ... The defense will once again be among the best in the nation with size, speed, and backups that would start for about 100 other teams. The safeties are among the best in Miami history with Brandon Meriweather and Kelly Phillips each deserving of All-America consideration and Anthony Reddick and Lovon Ponder more than good enough to step in without missing a beat. There isn't a deeper linebacking corps in the ACC. The defense will be among the best in the country, but ...
Why Miami isn't No. 1 ... ... Miami can't win every game if there are offensive issues like there were throughout last season. This year's team has enough talent to think about the national title, but there are just enough holes to keep it from happening with an offensive line that doesn't look to be appreciably better than last year's disaster and not enough overall skill level among the stars on offense to overcome the potential problems up front.
Relative Strengths: secondary, linebacker Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, backup quarterback

4. Oklahoma
Predicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 8-4
Why Oklahoma should be No. 1 ... Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson. The ultra-talented running back is the type of star good enough to carry the team on his back against a relatively average schedule. The defense should be among the best in America even though there aren't too many sure-fire, household name All-Americans. The pass rush should be unstoppable with too many good ends to get on the field at any one time.
Why Oklahoma isn't No. 1 ... After a down year, there are still too many question marks on the offensive line and with QB Rhett Bomar to assume it’ll be an easy run to a third championship game in four seasons. What happens when Peterson has 150 carries by midseason? If he goes down for any time, forget about a national title. 2007 is when the team should be truly ready to explode and become a juggernaut again.
Relative Strengths: running back, defensive line Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, special teams

3. Ohio State
Predicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 10-1 2005 Record: 10-2
Why Ohio State should be No. 1 ... QB Troy Smith should make the spread offense sing making big play after big play with his legs as well as his arm. The receivers are big, fast, and talented with Ted Ginn Jr. appearing to be ready to blossom into a superstar wideout. The backfield is full of talent with star freshman Chris Wells ready to push possible All-Big Ten runner Antonio Pittman. The line might be the best in the Jim Tressel's six years in Columbus with a world of talent, especially at tackle. There's no reason whatsoever to worry about the defensive back seven that has to replace all its starters. The line needs to come up with a steady pass rush, but that's nitpicking; All-America tackle Quinn Pitcock and the boys will be a rock against the run.
Why Ohio State isn't No. 1 ... It's one thing to look great in practice; it's another to be consistent under fire. The Buckeye defensive back seven will eventually be unbelievable, but how long is it going to take?
Relative Strengths: quarterback, offensive line Relative Weaknesses: defensive experience, linebacker

2. Texas
Predicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 8-3 2005 Record: 13-0
Why Texas should be No. 1 ... The backfield is loaded with talented backs, there's plenty of experience and next-level ability in the receiving corps, and the line will once again be among the best in the country despite losing All-Americans Jonathan Scott and Will Allen. The defensive cupboard is hardly bare with a tremendous end tandem of Tim Crowder and Brian Robison sure to be among the best in the country and more than enough talent in the back seven to fill up the All-Big 12 team.
Why Texas isn't No. 1 ... Oh yeah, quarterback. If Jevan Snead and Colt McCoy can be merely adequate, the Longhorns could be back in the national title game. However, neither appear to have anywhere near the magical quality Vince Young possessed.
Relative Strengths: offensive line, running back Relative Weaknesses: quarterback, backup linebacker

1. USC
Predicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 12-0 2005 Record: 12-1
Why USC is No. 1 ... You're forgetting what a recruiting factory USC is. If John David Booty's back isn't ready and he can't take over for Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez (with his legal troubles behind him) will step in and be a star. Reggie Bush and LenDale White are out, Chauncey Washington, who's finally academically eligible, and true freshmen Emmanuel Moody and Stafon Johnson, are in. Star receiver Dwayne Jarrett is currently ineligible, but he's supposed to be back by the start of the season. If not, no biggie. Steve Smith returns to join NFL-caliber freshman Vidal Hazelton along with veterans Chris McFoy and Patrick Turner. Those are only the high profile players. The second team linebackers and safeties would start for at least 100 other teams. The offensive line should be solid and the pass rush will be tremendous.
Why USC shouldn't be No. 1 ... Matt, Reggie and LenDale were all-timers. You don't just replace three of the greatest college players of all-time, do you? There's still a question about the overall experience while the secondary has to rebound after a underwhelming 2005. Miami also thought it could simply reload after 2002.
Relative Strengths: receiver, linebacker Relative Weaknesses: secondary, special teams

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-01-2006, 07:28 AM
wow...doesnt it feel kinda like dejavu? 'horns got this.

hawkfan
08-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Notre Dame not even in the top 5? What a load of hogwash.

wedo
08-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Man thats a shocker!! I thought Norte Dame would be in the top five nor did i think texas and usc would be that high at the begining of the season!! But i'll take it!!! Hook'em!!!!!

Adidas410s
08-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Kinda odd that they have Texas going 10-2 and ranked #2...since I'm assuming those 2 losses would be to #'s 3 and 4 in Oklahoma and Ohio State. :thinking:

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
seriously, CFN is off it's everlovin rocker

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Ugh...never getting the respect we deserve:

91. SMU SMU Preview
Predicted Finish: 5-7 2005 Predicted Finish: 1-10 2005 Record: 5-6
There will be an interesting mix of fast, talented young players, a lot of inexperience, and good building blocks. Bobby Chase leads a deep and experienced receiving corps, DeMyron Martin is one of the league's best backs heading a very fast, very good backfield, and the starting five up front should be fine. However, there's no experience whatsoever at quarterback and absolutely no developed depth on the line. The offense might have been bad throughout last year, but the defense saved the day time and again keeping the team in several games. There are lots and lots of speed in the back seven, but little experience outside of safety Joe Studivant and linebacker Wilton McCray. The line will be fantastic with Adrian Haywood and Justin Rogers among the best in the conference.
Relative Strengths: running backs, defensive line Relative Weaknesses: secondary, offensive line

3afan
08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
18. Notre Dame
Predicted Finish: 8-4 2005 Predicted Finish: 5-6 2005 Record: 9-3
Yes, this is the lowest you’ll see the Irish ranked anywhere (remember that these rankings are based on how good the teams are from top to bottom) and yes, the potential is there for a BCS Championship appearance if Charlie and the boys get out of September unbeaten. However, this is a tremendously flawed team with average corners, a limited pass rush from the front four, and no developed depth anywhere meaning the machine might quickly grind to a halt if injuries hit the skill positions. The secondary didn't get any faster in the off-season, although a few freshmen should provide some immediate help, the offensive line is average, and the overall athleticism and talent level, which was exposed in the Fiesta Bowl by Ohio State, is a year or two away from being up-to-snuff for a national title-caliber powerhouse. There's a whole boatload of talent on the way and this will be a USC-like program by 2008, but not all of the stars are in South Bend quite yet. Remember, outside of the win over an average Michigan squad, last year's team didn't beat anyone with a pulse.
Relative Strengths: quarterback, receiver Relative Weaknesses: linebacker, secondary

wedo
08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
I think that Cal and West Virginia are gonna have good records and might squeez in the NC if somone up top looses!!! But both schedules are really weak!!

Txbroadcaster
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
They say that one of the Horns weakness is back up linebacker...Guess they have never heard of Sergio Kindle, a kid many have said would be starting if not for the talent of the returning starters.

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
They say that one of the Horns weakness is back up linebacker...Guess they have never heard of Sergio Kindle, a kid many have said would be starting if not for the talent of the returning starters.

Take everything CFN says with a grain of salt. A large grain.

wedo
08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

He can back up all three linebacker positions he's that good!!!

BTEXDAD
08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
seriously, CFN is off it's everlovin rocker

Agreed. #1 No way USC can go unbeaten. Some Pac 10 teams will get some revenge this yr.
#2 Even though I'm horns fan, there's no way they should be ranked preseason number 2. Too many question marks.

#4 Oklahoma and Stoops still getting too much respect for winning Nat championship in yr that is now ancient history (2000)
I think it will be OHio st vs Auburn for Nat championship

KTJ
08-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Agreed. #1 No way USC can go unbeaten. Some Pac 10 teams will get some revenge this yr.
#2 Even though I'm horns fan, there's no way they should be ranked preseason number 2. Too many question marks.

The only question mark we really have is at QB. Everything else is pretty much set in stone.

Our defense will be amazing and probably better than last years.

wedo
08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
The only question mark we really have is at QB. Everything else is pretty much set in stone.

Thats exactly what i think!!! IF Colt and Jevan can just do enough then the running game, the defense and our recieving core will carry us all the way!!!! Defense wins Championships!!!!!! Hook'em!!!

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Our defense will be amazing and probably better than last years. RB?

KTJ
08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
RB?

Jamaal
Selvin
Henry
Vondrell
Chris

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Jamaal
Selvin
Henry
Vondrell
Chris

i think that the ags RB core will be able to compete against the horns this year.....

They are pretty deep depth wise...

lewis
lane
goodson
alexander
boothe

Emerson1
08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Lewis
Lane

and you can stop there.

BTEXDAD
08-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Believe me, I hope this happens too, but being ranked that high preseason, I'm not sure. Not after losing, VY, David Thomas, Will Allen and Jonathan Scott from offense and Huff, Dibbles, Rod Wright, Aaron Harris and Ced Griffin from def.
I realize they had lots of depth and have a lot of players with experience coming back, but those are some amazing seniors that they lost.

The ohio state game will be huge. Wish it was a little later in year.

Emerson1
08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
#2 was to high of a ranking last year to after Cedric Benson and Derrick Johnson left.

Texas rotated on just about every position except QB throughout the season. Huffs backup Marcus griffin saw plenty of playing time and Aaron Harris was average from the Tech game on.

Runningback are already trembling
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8715/hookemhorns0152iwyq1.jpg

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Lewis
Lane

and you can stop there. do you know nothing of micheal goodson........

big daddy russ
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
The Horns and Trojans will be good teams, but SHOULDN'T be in the top five. Sure, they're probably two of the three most talented teams in the nation (throw FSU in there, too), but there's way too much inexperience at way too many key positions.

OU meets FSU in the NC. UT finishes 10-2. USC Finishes 9-3 (definite loss to Cal... either Oregon, ASU, or 'Zona will also upend them).

Typically, I'm pretty high on CFN's predictions. I can't say I'm high on these, however.

wedo
08-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Unless OU o-line started juicin then Adrian Peterson will get hurt or not be as big as a factor agian this season!! b/c Bomar will get sacke again and again and teams will put 8 in the box to stop A.D.

Emerson1
08-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Horns and Trojans will be good teams, but SHOULDN'T be in the top five. Sure, they're probably two of the three most talented teams in the nation (throw FSU in there, too), but there's way too much inexperience at way too many key positions.

OU meets FSU in the NC. UT finishes 10-2. USC Finishes 9-3 (definite loss to Cal... either Oregon, ASU, or 'Zona will also upend them).

Typically, I'm pretty high on CFN's predictions. I can't say I'm high on these, however.
Other than QB, where is Texas inexperienced?

big daddy russ
08-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Other than QB, where is Texas inexperienced?
Just QB. The most important position on the field.

That comment actually referred more to USC than UT, but the Horns won't be in the NC either. Eventually, they'll need their QB to step up, put them on his shoulders, and lead them to a comeback. That'll happen at least twice, whether against OU, OSU, the other OSU, Tech, or someone else entirely.

A BCS Bowl? Good possibility.

The BCS NC @ Glendale? Miami, Ohio State, and FSU couldn't make it the past couple of years with all that raw talent. They didn't even sniff it. I have no reason to believe that Texas can break that cycle.

KTJ
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM
I don't see a justifiable reason why Texas shouldn't/couldn't be ranked in the top 5.

What other teams don't have question marks or are actually that much better? This is one of those years where no one team actually stands out. The race to PHX is wide open.

BTEXDAD
08-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I don't see a justifiable reason why Texas shouldn't/couldn't be ranked in the top 5.

What other teams don't have question marks or are actually that much better? This is one of those years where no one team actually stands out. The race to PHX is wide open.

You're probably right, ktj. I'm trying to be realistic on Horns, but I guess when you think about it, all teams have lost key players and have ???
I said in earlier post that I thought it would be Auburn and Ohio st in NC, but just found out yesterday that OSU lost 8 starters from defense that carried them last year. I didn't realize that.

KTJ
08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
You're probably right, ktj. I'm trying to be realistic on Horns, but I guess when you think about it, all teams have lost key players and have ???
I said in earlier post that I thought it would be Auburn and Ohio st in NC, but just found out yesterday that OSU lost 8 starters from defense that carried them last year. I didn't realize that.

Oh, I'm being realisitc too. I don't want people to think I'm not. I realize how tough it is to make it to the NC game and I definitely realize how tough it is to repeat.

But I'm just saying that there isn't one team in the nation right now that doesn't have a question mark somewhere on their roster. And since that's the case, I don't see why Texas can't be ranked as high as they are. Also....the argument that "USC should be ranked #1 until someone beats them" comes into play as well. UT isn't getting that kind of pub from anyone. I wonder why USC did.

What surprises me the most is that these pre-season mags don't have ND ranked #1. I really hope they lose every game they play because once they get on that winning roll, the media will eat them up. As you can tell, I'm not a ND fan.

:D

BTEXDAD
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

What surprises me the most is that these pre-season mags don't have ND ranked #1. I really hope they lose every game they play because once they get on that winning roll, the media will eat them up. As you can tell, I'm not a ND fan.

:D
I like that.
You've probably seen where ESPN classic does that Who's number 1? thing for all kinds of things. Greatest baseball teams, greatest comebacks, worst flameouts, etc.
One of the shows was "most overatted". Some of the picks were individuals, some teams or programs. Notre dame football was number 7 most overrated.

Bulldog_12
08-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
http://collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rankings/Preview2006_1_10.htm

4. Oklahoma
Predicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 8-4
Why Oklahoma should be No. 1 ... Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson. The ultra-talented running back is the type of star good enough to carry the team on his back against a relatively average schedule. The defense should be among the best in America even though there aren't too many sure-fire, household name All-Americans. The pass rush should be unstoppable with too many good ends to get on the field at any one time.
Why Oklahoma isn't No. 1 ... After a down year, there are still too many question marks on the offensive line and with QB Rhett Bomar to assume it’ll be an easy run to a third championship game in four seasons. What happens when Peterson has 150 carries by midseason? If he goes down for any time, forget about a national title. 2007 is when the team should be truly ready to explode and become a juggernaut again.
Relative Strengths: running back, defensive line Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, special teams

Well, scratch this........:D