PDA

View Full Version : THSCA All-Star Football game

Gobbler Fan
08-01-2006, 05:16 AM
MIKE FORMAN - Advocate Sports Writer
AUSTIN - Cuero's J.T. Rudd thought his days of playing defensive end were behind him until he arrived at the University of Texas to begin practicing for the Texas High School Coaches Association's All-Star football game.

Rudd discovered the South squad included seven other linebackers and as a result, Rudd will start at defensive end in today's game, which is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

"I'm used to it and I've done it pretty much my whole life," Rudd said. "I figured I might as well play there one more time. It will be the last time so I want to make the best of it."

Rudd will be joined in the South's starting lineup by Shiner's Dylan Hagens, who will play right guard.

The head coach for the South squad will be Gregory-Portland's George Harris, who previously coached at Refugio.

Rudd played eight positions at Cuero - guard, center, tight end, defensive end, linebacker, fullback, wide receiver, and deep snapper - but will move to linebacker at the University of Houston, where he will begin working out Wednesday.

Rudd played mostly defensive end and tight end while helping to lead the Gobblers to the Class 3A, Division II semifinals last season. He had 57 tackles, including 32 solo stops, 28 tackles for losses, including nine sacks, 13 quarterback pressures, one caused fumble, and two fumble recoveries.

Rudd graded out as 98 percent as a blocker and had 23 pancake blocks and nine of his 18 receptions went for touchdowns. Rudd was selected as the MVP of the Advocate's all-area team and was a first-team pick on the Texas Sports Writers Association's all-state team.

"It's different," Rudd said of playing in the all-star game. "When I was a fan, I thought it was all about winning. But now that I'm here, I know it's about being with guys who are going to all these big schools and being a part of that with them."

Blitzing is not allowed in the all-star game so Rudd has had to adjust his approach to playing defensive end.

"He's familiar with it because he played there at Cuero but it's going to be tough for him because he can't blitz," said South defensive coordinator David McKinney, who previously coached at Refugio before moving to Gregory-Portland with Harris. "But he's quick and that should help him. He lost some weight to play linebacker. He's just going to have to get used to holding back."

The 6-foot-2 Rudd should be a lot quicker than he was last season, after dropping from 235 to 220 pounds to prepare for his college career.

"I've just been eating right," Rudd said. "I cut out junk food and sodas. I knew I would have to get lighter to play linebacker."

The 6-7, 270-pound Hagens played on the offensive line during his career at Shiner and will do so at Baylor. Hagens helped lead the Comanches to the Class 1A regional playoffs last season while grading out at 98 percent and recording 23 pancake blocks.

But Hagens is getting his first experience at playing in an offense that operates out of the shotgun and will frequently put the ball in the air.

"It's real different coming from a strictly run offense," Hagens said of blocking in Shiner's veer offense. "It's a lot quicker. But it's real good for me. It will get me used to playing with more speed."

Hagens suffered a setback when a defensive player fell on his left leg during the first day of practice but recovered in time to learn a starting position.

"It's been a little learning process for him," said offensive line coach Art Arguijo, the former Woodsboro head coach, who has now an assistant coach under Harris at Gregory-Portland. "He's used to firing off and driving people instead of pass blocking."

Hagens has no doubt what he's learned preparing for the all-star game and the competition he'll face in the game, will help him when he reports to Waco to begin working out at Baylor on Wednesday.

"I'm going to be doing a lot of pass blocking," Hagens said. "Definitely a lot of pass blocking."

NOTES: Former Schulenburg head football coach Brad Oden was a member of the selection committee for the South. Oden resigned after last season and had planned to teach at Schulenburg. But Oden has taken a position as an assistant coach at Rice Consolidated.

Charles Breithaupt, athletic director for the University Interscholastic League, said the Class 5A state championship football games will be played at 2 p.m., and 7 p.m., on Dec. 23 on the Alamodome in San Antonio. Breithaupt said holding the state championship games at a single site for the first time since 1921 will be a "historic moment for the UIL."

Breithaupt said all UIL coaches and officials are now required to participate in the Coaches and Officials Positive Experience (COPE) program either with a UIL staff member or a local administrator.

Breithaupt admitted the UIL has looked into a separate realignment and reclassification for football but said it is unlikely to occur anytime in the near future.

Will this game be shown on T.V. ?

Go get em J.T. !

injuredinmelee
08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
the game is usually on Fox Sports. I hope it is this year too. I will check the listings later.

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Harris will change his normal gameplan...

http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_football/article/0,1641,CCCT_11856_4885347,00.html

Summer no break for G-P coaches
Harris to coach THSCA football all-stars tonight

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
August 1, 2006

AUSTIN - This year, the high school football season started earlier than usual for George Harris and the Gregory-Portland coaching staff.

Picked to lead the South in tonight's Texas High School Coaches Association all-star football game at UT's Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Harris and his assistants have been hard at work since February. It started with a phone call from THSCA executive director D.W. Rutledge and continued with the arrival of 38 highlight tapes for each player on the roster.

The preparation has been quite a process.

"It's going to be interesting," said Harris, whose counterpart on the North sideline is Amarillo's Larry Dippel. "We have seven quarterbacks and seven or eight linebackers. The biggest thing is getting the rotation figured out."

Having spent 45 years in the business, Harris knows a thing or two about putting the right player in the right place.

Harris began his career in 1960 at G-P as an assistant under Ray Akins. After 22 years with the Wildcats, Harris joined the staff at Refugio as defensive coordinator before taking over as head coach in 1992.

The Bobcats went 106-17-1 and won eight district championships under Harris, who returned to G-P in 2001. Since then, the Wildcats are 49-15, including five straight playoff appearances.

Although tonight's objective is the same as it is every Friday during the regular season, the game plan isn't.

"You can't run the Wing-T in a game like this," Harris said of the scheme used by the Wildcats. "We had to put together a whole new offense, one we hope to use to some degree this season. We're going to try and use a lot of this stuff. We'll see how it goes."

It should go well tonight with a roster full of the state's top college-bound players, including three locals - Calallen's Jeff Blankenship, Flour Bluff's Andre McCorkle and Alice's Trent Perkins.

A linebacker, Blankenship is headed to Blinn College after helping the Wildcats reach the Class 4A Division II championship game. He finished with 297 career tackles, including 174 as a senior.

McCorkle rushed for nearly 2,000 yards and scored 23 touchdowns as the driving force behind Flour Bluff's undefeated run to the District 31-4A title last season. Set to continue his career at Texas State, McCorkle also tied for the team lead with three interceptions.

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Perkins signed with Oklahoma State after earning Most Valuable Offensive Lineman honors in 31-4A. He finished with 33 pancake blocks and didn't give up a sack.

Harris is glad to have the trio on his side tonight.

"It's exciting being able to coach some of the guys from our district," he said. "This time we won't have to figure out ways on how to stop them."

Tonight's game

What: 72nd Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star football game

When: 7:30 p.m.

Where: Memorial Stadium (Austin)

Tickets: $10 at the gate

Television: FSN

Watch List

Gregory-Portland coach George Harris and his staff lead the South against Amarillo's Larry Dippel and the North. Among the 38 players on the South are Calallen LB Jeff Blankenship, Flour Bluff RB Andre McCorkle and Alice OL Trent Perkins.

2006 local THSCA Football All-Stars

Jeff Blankenship

Position: Linebacker

High School: Calallen

College: Blinn College

Last Season: Blankenship played a big role in helping Calallen to the 2005 Class 4A Division II title game. The Defensive Player of the Year in District 31-4A finished with 174 tackles - 23 for a loss - to lead the team for a second straight year. He also led the Wildcats with 13 QB hurries, five caused fumbles and three fumble recoveries, one of which he returned for a TD.

Andre McCorkle

Position: Running back

High School: Flour Bluff

College: Texas State

Last Season: A threat to score at any time, McCorkle earned MVP honors after helping lead the Hornets to an undefeated regular season and the District 31-4A title. He rushed for 1,978 yards and 23 touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 179 yards and a score. His three INTs also tied for the team lead.

Trent Perkins

Position: Offensive lineman

High School: Alice

College: Oklahoma State

Last Season: The 6-foot-5, 285-pound Perkins ended his high school career as the Most Valuable Offensive Lineman in District 31-4A. He graded out at 93 percent from his spot at tackle, registered 33 pancake blocks and didn't give up any sacks in helping the Coyotes to a 7-3 record - the program's first winning season since 2000.

Javier Becerra

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or HYPERLINK mailto:becerraj@caller.com becerraj@caller.com

44INAROW
08-01-2006, 07:55 PM
1st Qtr - North leads 7-0

Did I hear the announcer correctly? He said the guy kicking the PAT's for the North was 100% on PAT's during his high school career..... That is phenomenal..............:clap: :clap: