PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Spears

Emerson1
08-01-2006, 12:20 AM
I hear is out for a month after knee sugery on sunday. Is this true?

kepdawg
08-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I hear is out for a month after knee sugery on sunday. Is this true?

That sounds about right.

Gp83
08-01-2006, 12:25 AM
I have not heard about this.

kepdawg
08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Gp83
I have not heard about this.

Torn meniscus in his right knee during the first practice of camp on Saturday.

piratebg
08-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Cowboys DE Spears needs knee surgery; OT Adams not ready

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
July 29, 2006

OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears tore cartilage in his right knee in the first workout of training camp Saturday and will have arthroscopic surgery Sunday that will keep him out up to three weeks.

"The problem with that is that he misses all of the work and he needs it badly," coach Bill Parcells said.

Spears, a first-round pick before last season, had the start of his career slowed by injuries to the same knee, right ankle and right calf during his first training camp. He still managed to break into the starting lineup midway the season, and is expected to hold down the left end of Dallas' 3-4 front again this season.

"It could always be worse," said Spears, who may only miss one preseason game. "Fortunately it's something that won't keep me down long. We can go ahead and do the surgery because it's needed. You get this problem taken care of and you don't have to worry about it down the road. ...

"It's tough, man, because I don't want to miss. That's my big thing. That's the thing that bothered me at first because last year I missed camp a lot. But going into this year, I kind of know the defense that we're playing, I know my role, so that'll help me out."

Kenyon Coleman took over for Spears on the left side of the line Saturday. Jay Ratliff also is battling for time there. Parcells said he'd considering moving right-side starter Chris Canty to the left side if Spears is out for an extended time. He prefers keeping third-round pick Jason Hatcher on the right side.

Greg Ellis, a starter from 1998 until late last season, wasn't mentioned as an option. Ellis has talked openly about being upset with his demotion, saying he'd like to be released or traded. Parcells responded Friday by saying Ellis can either follow along or retire.

Ellis and Parcells talked on the field for several minutes during a break in Saturday's afternoon practice. After the workout, Ellis said he wanted to wait until Sunday before talking to reporters.

The Cowboys already are moving players around on the offensive line because starting left tackle Flozell Adams went on the physically unable to perform list after failing his conditioning test Friday. Adams is recovering from knee surgery in October.

"I just don't want to put him at risk right now because he's an important player for us," Parcells said.

Marc Colombo and rookie Pat McQuiston replaced Adams. Parcells said he wants to keep veteran newcomer Jason Fabini and Rob Petitti on the right side, presumably because they're fighting for the starting job.

Petitti played right tackle all last season after winning the job as a seventh-round pick in training camp. His performance tailed off during the season, prompting the signing of Fabini. But Petitti has won praise from Parcells for his offseason work.

"Petitti looks like a different person, completely," Parcells said.