PDA

View Full Version : Home Sweet Home

Ranger Mom
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Well that was trip I don't wanna repeat anytime in the near future!!!

The drive to Toyah took about 2 hrs, then we got to turn off on (what we were told was 15 miles of blacktop)....well it may have been blacktop 20 years ago, but there was not much "black" left...just caverns where blacktop used to be. After that bone jarring drive we hit 15 miles of dirt road. Which turned out to be the most rugged, rutted, caliche rock filled road I have ever driven down. I finally pulled into the rig 1 hour after I started down the black top. One hour to go 30 miles.

I ran up on the rig and asked the tool pusher if I could PLEASE use his bathroom, and ran back down the stairs and across to his trailer. When I came out, I decided that women must not be a common occurance on a rig, because I counted 9 of them just staring at me.

The tool pusher told me to get the heck out of there because it was fixing to rain and I would be stuck there. The thought of having to stay overnight with those scary looking roughnecks got me into gear - quick fast and in a hurry.

On my way back down the dirt road I noticed hundred of rabbits laying in the road....asleep! I didn't wanna hit one, so I honked for 15 miles...I guess the caliche is softer than the blacktop, because by the time I got there, I didnt' see anymore.

At 9:30 I hit the interstate and started back home....I figured it was smooth sailing from there on out. Wouldn't you know...a freak rainstorm hit me. It was lightening all around me and thundering like crazy. I literally have blisters on my hands from holding the steering wheel so tight, and my jaws hurt from clenching my teeth.

About 10:30 I started getting really sleepy and it was still lightening all around me, it reminded me of strobe lights it was so constant. I decided to crank up the A/C and turn up the tunes. I jammed to Classic Rock until I pulled into my driveway....now I am WIDE AWAKE!!!:eek: :eek:

I agree with Pirate4State's post a week ago today.........MONDAY SUCKS!! (or today did anyway)!!

Bandera YaYa
07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Wow...omg I am sure glad you made it home safe!!!! GEezzzzzzzzzz :eek:

Bandera YaYa
07-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Just curious, why did YOU have to take him...... :thinking:

piratebg
07-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Welcome home. Come check out the chat if you have some time. :)

Ranger Mom
07-31-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Just curious, why did YOU have to take him...... :thinking:

Well...the crew went out last night...and when they got there, they were shorthanded. He called Chad and asked him if he wanted to work and said could meet him halfway. I told him I would take him. (Chad's truck has NO brakes)!

Well...due to unforeseen circumstances, they were tripping pipe (and if you don't know anything about a drilling rig, you probably don't know what I am talking about), but there is no way the toolpusher can leave the rig.

So........there it is! Momma to the rescue!

One cool thing though....the rig is at the base of the Davis Mountains...so it's a really pretty backdrop (That's exciting us to West Texas people)!:p

IHStangFan
07-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

The drive to Toyah took about 2 hrs, then we got to turn off on (what we were told was 15 miles of blacktop)....well it may have been blacktop 20 years ago, but there was not much "black" left...just caverns where blacktop used to be. After that bone jarring drive we hit 15 miles of dirt road. Which turned out to be the most rugged, rutted, caliche rock filled road I have ever driven down. I finally pulled into the rig 1 hour after I started down the black top. One hour to go 30 miles.

I ran up on the rig and asked the tool pusher if I could PLEASE use his bathroom, and ran back down the stairs and across to his trailer. When I came out, I decided that women must not be a common occurance on a rig, because I counted 9 of them just staring at me.

The tool pusher told me to get the heck out of there because it was fixing to rain and I would be stuck there. The thought of having to stay overnight with those scary looking roughnecks got me into gear - quick fast and in a hurry.

On my way back down the dirt road I noticed hundred of rabbits laying in the road....asleep! I didn't wanna hit one, so I honked for 15 miles...I guess the caliche is softer than the blacktop, because by the time I got there, I didnt' see anymore.

At 9:30 I hit the interstate and started back home....I figured it was smooth sailing from there on out. Wouldn't you know...a freak rainstorm hit me. It was lightening all around me and thundering like crazy. I literally have blisters on my hands from holding the steering wheel so tight, and my jaws hurt from clenching my teeth.

About 10:30 I started getting really sleepy and it was still lightening all around me, it reminded me of strobe lights it was so constant. I decided to crank up the A/C and turn up the tunes. I jammed to Classic Rock until I pulled into my driveway....now I am WIDE AWAKE!!!:eek: :eek:

I agree with Pirate4State's post a week ago today.........MONDAY SUCKS!! (or today did anyway)!! oh MAN! I think I know exactly where youre talking about....Toyah....it reminds me of something out of a Quinten Tarentino movie. ESPECIALLY once the sun goes down. THOUGHT about staying there overnight once to board our horses.....we kept driving!! LOL.

Bandera YaYa
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Well...the crew went out last night...and when they got there, they were shorthanded. He called Chad and asked him if he wanted to work and said could meet him halfway. I told him I would take him. (Chad's truck has NO brakes)!

Well...due to unforeseen circumstances, they were tripping pipe (and if you don't know anything about a drilling rig, you probably don't know what I am talking about), but there is no way the toolpusher can leave the rig.

One cool thing though....the rig is at the base of the Davis Mountains...so it's a really pretty backdrop (That's exciting us to West Texas people)!:p awwwww......yep, good ole mammas!!!! Well glad he made it to work and you made it home! :)

Cameron Crazy
07-31-2006, 11:55 PM

I agree with Pirate4State's post a week ago today.........MONDAY SUCKS!! (or today did anyway)!! Glad your back im glad they didnt kidnap you!

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 12:12 AM
RM, you have a boring life probably, but you make it sound so interesting

IHStangFan
08-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
RM, you have a boring life probably, but you make it sound so interesting youre such an ahole, but thats what makes you so damn funny :p

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
RM, you have a boring life probably, but you make it sound so interesting

I wish my life was boring...I seem to get myself into more "predicaments"!!

I don't understand why!

Snydertigersrul
08-01-2006, 06:19 AM

I don't understand why!

I'm glad that you made it back safe.

sww-bull52
08-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Glad you made it home safe.
Wish you coulda brought some of that rain back to this area.:)

injuredinmelee
08-01-2006, 07:28 AM

One cool thing though....the rig is at the base of the Davis Mountains...so it's a really pretty backdrop (That's exciting us to West Texas people)!:p

Greyhound

44INAROW
08-01-2006, 08:21 AM

I don't understand why!

predicaments = being a good momma........... we do things for our kids that we wouldn't do for anyone else :)

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
I seem to get myself into more "predicaments"!!

I don't understand why!

Yeah, it might be better for me to just leave that one be :D

Glad you made it safely.

CHS_CG
08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
atleast you didnt have to break out any condoms ahahaha

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
atleast you didnt have to break out any condoms ahahaha

68 :D

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Greyhound

There is no way "Greyhound" could have gotten down that 30 mile stretch of road (and I use that term loosely)!!

I really have to wonder how they got some of that equipment on that rig out there!

Oh yeah.......after Monahans...the speed limit was 80 the rest of the way!!

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I really have to wonder how they got some of that equipment on that rig out there!

Planes and helicopters.

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. (but there is a wrong way to eat a burrito!)

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Planes and helicopters.
)

I doubt that very seriously!!

pirate4state
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Glad that you made it home safe & sound!!! :)

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I doubt that very seriously!!

Perhaps they came in with a UFO, shot down a burst of light, and the rig just appeared :D

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Perhaps they came in with a UFO, shot down a burst of light, and the rig just appeared :D

You are just being silly now!!

I went through narrow cattle guards, so I know at those spots they would have had to take the fence down to be able to get through!

Unless there is a nice smooth back road they didn't tell me about!!:thinking:

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
You are just being silly now!!

I went through narrow cattle guards, so I know at those spots they would have had to take the fence down to be able to get through!

Unless there is a nice smooth back road they didn't tell me about!!:thinking:

There might be, check Google Maps.

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
There might be, check Google Maps.

It doesn't matter, I don't ever have to go back!

I don't have the coordinates anyway...what would I put in??

"out in the middle of nowhere"?

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
It doesn't matter, I don't ever have to go back!

I don't have the coordinates anyway...what would I put in??

"out in the middle of nowhere"?

Toyah, TX. Then Follow the road you took from Toyah to the rig. Figure out if there is another road somewhere in that vicinity.

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Toyah, TX. Then Follow the road you took from Toyah to the rig. Figure out if there is another road somewhere in that vicinity.

Contrary to popular belief...I DO have a life!!

Some of those roads we were on were made specifically to get that equipment down.

Besides, google hasn't updated their satellite stuff because my house still doesn't show the patio we built 3 years ago.

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Contrary to popular belief...I DO have a life!!

Some of those roads we were on were made specifically to get that equipment down.

Besides, google hasn't updated their satellite stuff because my house still doesn't show the patio we built 3 years ago.

You sure about that first assertion? :D j/k

Yeah, Google does need to do some satellite updating.

At least you don't have to go out there again :)

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
You sure about that first assertion? :D j/k

Yeah, Google does need to do some satellite updating.

At least you don't have to go out there again :)

All in all, it wasn't a bad trip....if I hadn't of had to rush to get back.

I wouldn't have minded doing a little hiking in the mountains actually!

CalallenWildcat
08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
All in all, it wasn't a bad trip....if I hadn't of had to rush to get back.

I wouldn't have minded doing a little hiking in the mountains actually!

Yes, mountains are nice. Big Bend has some amazing hiking trails if you are ever out that way.

My all-time favorite hike was actually at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It was a guided hike along the side of a mountain (no trail, just gotta find your way) to the foot of what is called a "wild" cave. Then, armed with flashlights, we explored the cave in a way only a wild one could be explored (this involved some degree of rock climbing!). I'd recommend that hike to anyone.