PDA

View Full Version : Tech DB stabbed in nightclub brawl

kepdawg
07-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech DB stabbed in nightclub brawl

Anthony Hines expected to be released from hospital later this week

03:02 PM CDT on Monday, July 31, 2006

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News

Texas Tech football player Anthony Hines was stabbed during a fight at a Lubbock nightclub early Saturday morning.

Hines said he was “just a little sore” when reached at his hospital room Monday after having surgery to repair a punctured colon.

Hines, a sophomore defensive back from Denison, said he was trying to play peacemaker when he was stabbed.

“Me and my friends went to a club called Heat and pretty much some dudes just didn’t like us,” Hines said. “I guess that night they decided to fight us. I wasn’t fighting anybody at all. I was trying to get everybody to back up [saying] ‘Come on, let’s go.’”

Hines said his attacker had hidden the knife when he assaulted him.

“I didn’t know he stabbed me until about 10 seconds later,” Hines said. “I looked down and I was bleeding.”

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach said he is still gathering information about the incident and could not make a determination as to whether Hines or others would face disciplinary action.

Leach confirmed that other players were involved, including freshman linebacker Dewayne Baziel from Galveston, who received stitches for an eye injury.

“I think there was just kind of a massive brawl,” Leach said. “There was a frat party and then this brawl broke out and somebody had a knife.

“The unfortunate thing about it is, I would like our team and our players to do a better job of selecting where they go. With that said, there’s no justification for criminal behavior.”

Leach said he wasn’t familiar with Club Heat, where the incident took place. He said players are warned to avoid certain nightspots in Lubbock.

“After this deal, this place is one of them,” Leach said.

Hines’ mother, Chantel Hines, said her son expects to be released from University Medical Center in a couple of days. Hines is a backup strong safety who played mostly on special teams last season.

Texas Tech players report for preseason workouts Sunday. The first practice is Monday and the season opener is Sept. 2 against SMU.

How soon Hines could return to practice, and under what conditions, remains to be determined. Leach said he is still waiting for the legal process to play out before determining any disciplinary action for offensive lineman Gabe Hall, who was cited for driving while intoxicated in June.

“We have to look into it thoroughly,” Leach said. “I have two concerns here. One is team and player welfare, and the second would be to determine if there was any misbehavior on our part that we need to address.”

E-mail kwhitmire@dallasnews.com

Phil C
07-31-2006, 04:42 PM
:(

AggieJohn
07-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Tech DB stabbed in nightclub brawl

Leach said he wasn’t familiar with Club Heat, where the incident took place.

yeah, leach knows nothing, because he gets his liquor shipped right to his office

http://aggies9496.com/Images/ClasslessClowns/ClasslessClowns1.jpg

GetRDoneStangs
07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Being the gentleman that he is........doesn't he prefer the "Gentlemens Clubs??":D

Bull Butter
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Being the gentleman that he is........doesn't he prefer the "Gentlemens Clubs??":D

That would be the "gentlemanly" Mike Price:)