PDA

View Full Version : dont forget to buy the kids clothes this weekend

pirate44
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Happy weekend shopping!
Tax-free shopping one of busiest times of the year

By Elvia Aguilar/Caller-Times
July 31, 2006

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story was corrected to reflect that there were no additions to the tax-free list

Local stores are preparing for what has become one of Texas' biggest shopping weekends of the year.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Texas shoppers will get a break from state and local taxes during the sales tax holiday. This year's tax holiday for clothing and footwear begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday and ends at midnight Sunday.

Most clothing and footwear priced under $100 are exempt from sales taxes, saving shoppers about $8 for every $100 they spend. Layaway plans also can be used to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.

Texas, which started the tax-free holiday in 1999, is among 13 states and the District of Columbia to offer the tax break. This year Texas shoppers can expect to save about $49 million during the three-day weekend.

State Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn said there are no additions this year to the tax-exempt list but also said she would like to see more changes in the future.

"There is no reason for a three-day traffic jam," Strayhorn said. "We should expand the number of days to five and that also will help retailers."

She also would like to see backpacks and school supplies added to the tax-free list as well as safety gear such as car seats, bicycle helmets and work boots.

"There are a lot of people making a living out there using those boots," Strayhorn said.

This year, five states - Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee - added computer equipment to their tax-exempt list for their tax holidays.

The sales tax holiday hasn't achieved the retail sales impact of Christmas or Father's Day, economists say, but it does stimulate additional spending that wouldn't be seen otherwise.

"In the grand scheme of things the sales tax holiday doesn't have a huge impact in our economy, but people do seem to enjoy it and merchants do, too," said economist Ray Perryman, head of the Waco-based Perryman Group.

Craig Shearman, spokesman for the National Retail Federation, said tax holidays are extremely successful. He estimates retailers see revenue gains of 10 percent to 100 percent during the three-day weekend.

"There's something magical about tax holidays because people are naturally drawn to stores to save some money," Shearman said.

Total national spending during the back-to-school season is estimated to reach $17.6 billion, up from $13.4 billion last year, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.

In Corpus Christi, stores already are stocking up with extra clothes, shoes and employees to make sure they have an advantage over their competitors.

The Academy Sports and Outdoors store on South Padre Island Drive will be open for 24 hours each of the three days. Academy hired 62 additional employees to help during the back-to-school season.

"Our goal is to give our customers alternative times for shopping," store director Scot Timmins said.

Contact Elvia Aguilar at 886-3678 or

marlin fan
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
which one of my downlow parents is buying my school cloths????:confused:

CalallenWildcat
07-31-2006, 03:00 PM
The craziest shopping weekend of the year...luckily I stocked up on school clothes already.

KTJ
07-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Tax-Free weekend is one of the biggest scams the state of Texas has ever pulled off.

CalallenWildcat
07-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Tax-Free weekend is one of the biggest scams the state of Texas has ever pulled off.

Yep

Fal44
07-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Good thing I already got all my clothes except my shoes but I am going to the valley this weekend O NO!

pirate44
07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
why is it a scam? :confused:

GetRDoneStangs
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
why is it a scam? :confused:

Not everyone believes that tax cuts are a good thing......not saying that is what is up with KTJ....(before you slam me)

BUT, anytime we can save a few bucks it has to be a good thing!!

Some people will spend more because they are...."saving" money, resulting in actually spending more... could be what some may think...:thinking:

If you go and get what u need, not everything u want... the weekend is a good thing for Texans....Just my 2 cents worth!!

KindaCool
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
this weekend is the biggest load of crap ever

if you think fighting parking lots, lines in stores, and crabby women to save a few bucks on tax, then you're crazy

CalallenWildcat
07-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
Some people will spend more because they are...."saving" money, resulting in actually spending more... could be what some may think...:thinking:

There you go

if you think fighting parking lots, lines in stores, and crabby women to save a few bucks on tax, then you're crazy

That's Kinda100PercentCorrect!

pirate44
07-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by KindaCool

i would never go through all that trouble to save 8 bucks on a hundred dollar purchase, but that is a small reason why it is a good deal. everyone knows that it is one of the biggest days for SALES which means even more savings. also, for the few of us that dont care if the clothes come from wal-mart, a late night trip is no trouble at all. also, other places have sales that arent affected by the sales tax savings. if you put up with the traffic (most big cities, the traffic is bad anyway) and crowds, you can come away with a large savings especially if youre shopping for several kids. but i certainly dont knock the people who dont wannna put up with the crowds.

SintonFan
07-31-2006, 08:23 PM

I thought FoFo was just reminding us that we COULD save 8+ percent this weekend. What's your problem dude. Isn't it kindacool to save a few bucks or are you just too rich for us po' white folks.:rolleyes:
And for everyone one else... this weekend is fun to me. We drive our 4x4 Explorer haphazardly in that traffic. It reminds me of Nascar but only in a strip mall kinda way.;)

KindaCool
07-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
.are you just too rich for us po' white folks.:rolleyes:
thats hardly the case, IMO, all the trouble you have to go through to save a few dollars just isn't worth it - didnt mean to ruffle feathers, if i'd known i'd get jumped for giving an opinion, ill just not say anything

SintonFan
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
thats hardly the case, IMO, all the trouble you have to go through to save a few dollars just isn't worth it - didnt mean to ruffle feathers, if i'd known i'd get jumped for giving an opinion, ill just not say anything
If I'd known you'd get your feelings hurt because I gave mine Ida "jumped" on twice as bad.:eek:

piratebg
07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
All I know is I get to save about $1.50 on pampers when I get groceries this weekend. That's enough for me. :D

pirate44
07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
All I know is I get to save about $1.50 on pampers when I get groceries this weekend. That's enough for me. :D
i am the proud parent of a recently 100% potty trained little boy. its heaven. the only thing i have to stock up on is lightening mcqueen and mater underwear:D

piratebg
07-31-2006, 08:43 PM
i am the proud parent of a recently 100% potty trained little boy. its heaven. the only thing i have to stock up on is lightening mcqueen and mater underwear:D

I've got one on the pot and two to go. My youngest son is 19mo and getting closer to his training, and we have a ways to go with their sister.

LH Panther Mom
07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
i am the proud parent of a recently 100% potty trained little boy. its heaven. :D
Mine are potty trained too. :D

I got most everything the boys need weekend before last. Several things were on clearance, and I had a $10 coupon off total purchase. Now we just have to get shoes and some school supplies. I guess I'll fight the crowds for the shoes, since the boys didn't see anything on sale.

pirate44
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Mine are potty trained too. :D

you must be proud :D

3 boys is nothing to stick a shake at though. you are one tough momma. my parents potty trained 4 boys within a 5 year age difference. that bathroom must have been through hell and back. :D