PDA

View Full Version : Miami Sinks Pirates

maroonpirate04
07-31-2006, 12:05 AM
Well Pirates Of The Caribbean 's sank to #2 this past weekend Miami Vice took the #1 spot and overcame their biggest challenage now their test will be to see how long it will stay at #1. Pirates is now considered to be The Biggest Opening Of All Time beating Spiderman (2002) for the top spot.

kaorder1999
07-31-2006, 12:36 AM
miami vice was a decent flick

Emerson1
07-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
but so was pirates 2

maroonpirate04
07-31-2006, 12:39 AM

I wanted to watch this film but no sure about it, Before the release. The trailor didn't look all that good. Also the thought of an 80's tv show into a movie:( Usually brings disappointment to the box office. Must be good in order to knock off Pirates off the top spot.

maroonpirate04
07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Watch for POTC 3 due in May 2007 to kick off the summer blockbuster season

Emerson1
07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
I hope it's nothing like the matrix reloaded.

maroonpirate04
07-31-2006, 12:54 AM
POTC 3 is suppose to be the final installment, I think Disney should consider making more parts. They are making some serious money. Now I heard that X-Men is now considering another part .XM3 was supposed to be the final

big daddy russ
07-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
Must be good in order to knock off Pirates off the top spot.
Or they had one of the best marketing campaigns.

Most of the time, the way a movie is marketed has more to do with its initial success than the quality of the flick. The Blair Witch Project and War of the Worlds were both horrible movies according to 99% of the people I know (although I never saw War of the Worlds) but still did great at the box office.

The movies that have the best chance of tanking are the ones with the trailers that talk about how much the critics loved them and all the awards it won at Cannes and Sundance. The ones that have the best chance of succeeding are the ones with the trailers that have:
a) a great plot summary
b) stuff that blows up
c) a killer song that goes great with everything else that's happening
d) is a sequel/remake/etc of a previous movie/series.

The trailer for Miami Vice had three of these, therefore you could pretty much predict that it would do great... and opening weekend is always the biggest weekend for a movie. Pirates has been out what, three, maybe four weeks?

What a critic thinks is a great movie is completely different from what Joe Average thinks is a great movie, and Joe Average knows this. Unfortunately, some of those movies that the critics like are some of the best movies out there. So people go see The Blair Witch Project instead of something like that.

DU_stud04
07-31-2006, 01:09 AM

heard it was crap from several movie go'ers. im skipping this one.