PDA

View Full Version : You Like to watch Good Offense or Good Defense?

Bullaholic
07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Obviously, the good teams have enough of both, but which one do you like to watch more in a game---a good offensive team or a good defensive team? Do you take more pride in your team holding their opponents to less than 10 or scoring more than 35 in a game?

I guess I've been spoiled by the Bulls over the last 13 years under Danny Henson---I love the "offensive fireworks", and we trust that we can "outscore" the other team consistently, but I also understand that the championship teams do probably have the better defenses.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Offense puts them in the seats...

Defense wins championships...

thewyliefan
07-30-2006, 11:46 AM
nicely put

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
nicely put

It's actually someone else's quote i just can't remember who. I
think it might have been Lombardi.

Bullaholic
07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Offense puts them in the seats...

Defense wins championships...

Let's take it a step further, to actual games, Red. I know the Bulls would have been playing Sweetwater in the semis last year if we had a little more "D" and a kicker available against Monahans (All credit still to the Loboes--they were the better team that night). Do you think that if the Mustangs had a little more "D" against Tatum that they would have been playing for the title last season? Or, would more Mustang offense in that game have won it ?

Adidas410s
07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
obviously watching offense and scoring is more exciting! However...I love the games that are in the 20's (maybe low 30's) where it comes down to the end and which team can come up with the big play (either offense or defense) at the end of the game to win.

VWG
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Good question.
I would say my first response would be that I like to watch a good offense. The offense that can move the ball down the field, whether it be through the air or on the ground. It's nice to see an offense click and hit on all cylinders.
Overall, I would just rather see a good football game. Whether the score is 38 to 36 or 10 to 7..... it doesn't matter. I would much rather watch a good hard fought ballgame than see a 21 point blowout.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Let's take it a step further, to actual games, Red. I know the Bulls would have been playing Sweetwater in the semis last year if we had a little more "D" and a kicker available against Monahans (All credit still to the Loboes--they were the better team that night). Do you think that if the Mustangs had a little more "D" against Tatum that they would have been playing for the title last season? Or, would more Mustang offense in that game have won it ?

Tatums defense caused two or three turn-overs in the first half
when we had the ball inside their 20 yard line. That was a case
of their defense stepping up. We let them put 32 on us. :thinking:

Bullaholic
07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree, Red---the Tatum "D" was the thing I heard about on that team all season---and it showed when it counted. I just wish that the Bulls would have had the chance to play Sweetwater last season, just because of that "special" mix of offensive firepower on both teams---I think it would have been one outstanding contest, given the team "personalities" and the large numbers of really avid fans of both teams. Hate to dwell on what "might" have been. Oh well, maybe this season, Red.

District303aPastPlayer
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Theres just something about a backside linebacker coming through the line and totally sticking the QB, causing a fumble, and a CB on a blitz picking up the ball and scoring that does it for me...

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I agree, Red---the Tatum "D" was the thing I heard about on that team all season---and it showed when it counted. I just wish that the Bulls would have had the chance to play Sweetwater last season, just because of that "special" mix of offensive firepower on both teams---I think it would have been one outstanding contest, given the team "personalities" and the large numbers of really avid fans of both teams. Hate to dwell on what "might" have been. Oh well, maybe this season, Red.

I see ya'll are returning 6 starters on defense next season. That
would say the D will probably be the Bulls strength next year.

We will probably meet in the first round. Abilene Wylie will play
Gainesville in the Division I bracket and Sweetwater will play
either Bridgeport or Decatur in the first round. :D

Phantom Stang
07-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
obviously watching offense and scoring is more exciting!
I'll have to say, that I got pretty excited when the Haltom defense held Southlake Carrol to "three and out", on the opening series of their game last year.;)

That excitement lasted until Haltom's first play from scrimmage, when the center snapped the ball over the quarterback's head, and a Dragon defender recovered it in the endzone for a TD. The final score was...
SLC 69 - Haltom 7 :doh:

ILS1
07-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Offense wins games.

Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

:D

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I'll have to say, that I got pretty excited when the Haltom defense held Southlake Carrol to "three and out", on the opening series of their game last year.;)

That excitement lasted until Haltom's first play from scrimmage, when the center snapped the ball over the quarterback's head, and a Dragon defender recovered it in the endzone for a TD. The final score was...
SLC 69 - Haltom 7 :doh:

Just think of how the Lubbock Cooper Pirates felt last year.

On the first play from scrimmage to start the season they
attempted a pass that was intercepted by Sweetwater's Brittan
Pittman and returned for a touchdown. Final score...

Sweetwater...40
L. Cooper........6

Phantom Stang
07-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Just think of how the Lubbock Cooper Pirates felt last year.

On the first play from scrimmage to start the season they
attempted a pass that was intercepted by Sweetwater's Brittan
Pittman and returned for a touchdown. Final score...

Sweetwater...40
L. Cooper........6
That's an excellent example of Defense being exciting!!:clap:

Emerson1
07-30-2006, 01:09 PM
There is nothing more frustrating then your defense making a stand on 4th and goal on the 1. Then your offense comming in and fumbling the ball.

Chris Hart
07-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Most of the time I'm partial to a wide open spread offense that executes a drive to perfection, but, I must admit that last year I was very impressed with the Wimberley defense. Probably one of the top 3 high school defenses that I've seen live. It must've been very comforting to Wimberley fans last year when their offense scored that 10th point, it was probably like turn out the lights, we've got this one. They had some studs, but they played together great and were shock full of confidence. The true attributes of a GREAT defense, and they were indeed!

YoePride05
07-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I like to watch a good defense. I love those hits that bring everyone off their chair a little bit. And the go get'em attitude of the players. A good offense can be fun to watch, especially if they can move the ball both on the ground and in the air. But I've always been a defense girl.

If they don't score, they can't win. ;)

bobcat1
07-30-2006, 07:53 PM
If they don't score, they can't win.

My thoughts exactly! I love me some Defense.