PDA

View Full Version : Who here sells/has sold alcohol liquor???

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I have a question...

I go into a speedy stop last night to buy some beer... I've been there before, have been carded there before (quite a few times) and have been carded by the SAME person...

She cards me this time, types in my birthdate, then looks at it again and says "Wait, this is expired... oh, nevermind, I was looking at something else..."

I thought "Okay, whatever"...

Then she asks "Do you have another license?"

I say "No.."

And she says "I will sell this to you this time, but you need to get a new license because this one says you are under 21 until 4-11-04"... then she said something about learning about it at a TABC class or something...

Does this sound right? I mean my license hasn't expired, and I figure they put "Under 21 UNTIL" there for a reason, and it's got my birthday on it three times if you count the actual birthday, the date the license expires AND "under 21 UNTIL" (just missing the lights flashing)...

I have been carded plenty of times over the last two years and three months or whatever it is now and this is the FIRST time I have ever heard of this...

I was nice about it, had a confused look on my face but decided to discuss it with her as I made my way out by saying "That's not just for the new ones is it?" because mine is the older style, she didn't answer right away so I kept walkin' out and she said "No, TABC says" and then she stopped as the other cashier broke her off and was telling her something... hopefully informing her that she didn't know what she was talking about...

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
She is full of snydertigersrul.

I don't have any facts to back this up but, I don't think she
knows what she's talking about.

SintonFan
07-29-2006, 12:26 PM
It's because you look 20 gobbla. Drink more beer so you'll look your age.:)

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It's because you look 20 gobbla. Drink more beer so you'll look your age.:)

You know me, I drink all I can, but it isn't working (maybe that's a good thing)...

SintonFan
07-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
You know me, I drink all I can, but it isn't working (maybe that's a good thing)...
It takes a few years.;)
BTW, I got me's a one of those new fangled swimmin pools in my back yard now. We spend all weekend making margaritas, drinking silver bullet and soaking up the rays.:p

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It takes a few years.;)
BTW, I got me's a one of those new fangled swimmin pools in my back yard now. We spend all weekend making margaritas, drinking silver bullet and soaking up the rays.:p

I had a swimming pool in the backyard a few days ago, but it's pretty much dry now since the rain stopped...

No sliver bullet though...

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
She is full of snydertigersrul.

heh... poor fella...

Blastoderm55
07-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Um, if its says you're under 21 until 4-07, how are they selling you beer?

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Um, if its says you're under 21 until 4-07, how are they selling you beer?

Um, It meant '04... I just edited it... thanks...

4-11-04...

Blastoderm55
07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Ah, it all makes sense now. Yeah, she probably just wanted to see more pictures of you. :p

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Ah, it all makes sense now. Yeah, she probably just wanted to see more pictures of you. :p

Ha, that's scary... I don't think I'll go back again...

sinton66
07-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Sounds like she has a reading comprehension problem. "Under 21 until 4-xx-04", guess she didn't realize that was TWO YEARS ago?

Phil C
07-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Enjoy it while you can. There will come a time when they won't ask you for an id. :)

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 06:14 PM
she wasnt properly informed about the validation of an ID... TABC says that an ID can be valid til the birthdate of said individual. Furthermore, her saying that your ID is invalid is actually the wrong way to go about the situation. TABC states that you should allow a person the utmost respect and allow them to keep their integrity while refusing their sale of alcohol. The way she would have gone about this should have sounded like this...
"I'm sorry sir, but at this time TABC prevents me from selling alcohol at this time. Would you like a soda or some candy?"

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Sounds like she has a reading comprehension problem. "Under 21 until 4-xx-04", guess she didn't realize that was TWO YEARS ago?

Well she knows it was two years ago, and understands that it IS saying I am 21... she sold me the alcohol after saying "I will sell it to you this time but you need to get another license"... basically she is saying that my license, though it HAS NOT expired, is not valid enough to buy beer because I obtained the license before turning 21...

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Well she knows it was two years ago, and understands that it IS saying I am 21... she sold me the alcohol after saying "I will sell it to you this time but you need to get another license"... basically she is saying that my license, though it HAS NOT expired, is not valid enough to buy beer because I obtained the license before turning 21...

and in her saying that, she is wrong.

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
and in her saying that, she is wrong.

You know where I can get that in legit writing??? :D

I'd like to take it with me next time...
:D

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 06:46 PM
You know where I can get that in legit writing??? :D

I'd like to take it with me next time...
:D

its written in the TABC instruction handbook

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
All I could find is that in 2001 the new licenses were released that had the state capitol building in the background etc...

It mentioned in there that "the current licenses are valid and will be phased out within the next 6 years"... meaning 2007, which mine expires in...

luvhoops34
07-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Gobbla,

I'm having a comprehension problem. Why would you NOT be able to buy beer if you are over 21 and your license has your birth date on it.

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Gobbla,

I'm having a comprehension problem. Why would you NOT be able to buy beer if you are over 21 and your license has your birth date on it.

because the girl who was selling it is an idiot

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Gobbla,

I honestly have no clue...

I got this license before I turned 21... it says "Under 21 until 4-11-04"... she is pretty much saying that since I was under 21 when I got the license that I need a new one to buy beer..... I'm pretty sure that the good folks runnin' our show here in Texas don't put that on there for no reason.... they put it on there to let you know I'm under 21....... until that date........

sinton66
07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
That's correct, Gobbla. Since licenses only renew every six years, that statement was added so store clerks wouldn't have to be bothered doing the math and having to figure it out for themselves. Basically, if the license is a valid Texas license, it is valid for the purchase of alcohol regardless of what she believes. If she hassles you again about it, ask to speak to her supervisor. It matters not WHEN you turn 21, only that you ARE 21.

Gobbla2001
07-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
That's correct, Gobbla. Since licenses only renew every six years, that statement was added so store clerks wouldn't have to be bothered doing the math and having to figure it out for themselves. Basically, if the license is a valid Texas license, it is valid for the purchase of alcohol regardless of what she believes. If she hassles you again about it, ask to speak to her supervisor. It matters not WHEN you turn 21, only that you ARE 21.

Yah... I mean the only thing I can come up with is that she believes that my style of license is no longer valid... It says I'm 21, so I'm sure she knows that... but she is having a problem with it not being valid...

I have searched and searched for new legislation on it and I have found none... the last I found was what I mentioned earlier... my license is valid and the style will be phased out by the end of next year...

sinton66
07-29-2006, 07:50 PM
That's why I suggested you involve her supervisor, she obviously doesn't understand something.;)

luvhoops34
07-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I have the old style license and it renews the end of this year. Of course, nobody is asking to see my license when I purchase alcohol.....:eek: Sounds like this girl is a dumb *%$.

Manck
07-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Or just go to a different beer store.

Snydertigersrul
07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
My wife sells beer/wine. Where she works at.

big daddy russ
07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I was a bartender for years. It's good.

As long as it is a valid Texas ID and clearly states your birthdate, they can sell you alcohol. My girlfriend turns 21 on Tuesday. She'll go out Tuesday night (and probably Thursday and Saturday) with her old-school vertical license (the ones they issue to minors these days). If they were to turn yours down they'd have to turn that one down the day after her birthday.

As my dad always says, that girl is the smartest girl minimum wage could buy.

PS: Sorry for getting back to you so late--- took a roadtrip this weekend.

Bandera YaYa
07-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
because the girl who was selling it is an idiot WEll now, she is working at a convenience store...............probably not a college educated gal....lol
:rolleyes: