PDA

View Full Version : Graham to eliminate freshman football

VWG
07-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Sources tell me that Graham will play two teams consisting of soph. / freshman this season. It appears that there will be two JV squads in a sense, with an "A" team and a "B" team.
There will not be a freshman only team.
I don't know how this will work in scheduling.
Anybody got any other info. on this?

KTA
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
im from graham, and I havent heard anything (yet)

Keith7
07-29-2006, 12:00 AM
i don't know why they would do that.. graham always seems to have 10000 people playin on all levels

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Sources tell me that Graham will play two teams consisting of soph. / freshman this season. It appears that there will be two JV squads in a sense, with an "A" team and a "B" team.
There will not be a freshman only team.
I don't know how this will work in scheduling.
Anybody got any other info. on this?

How big would the freshman team have been before the merger? If
it was going to be like only 18-20 kids then this would make sense.

GreenMonster
07-29-2006, 11:27 AM
interesting concept. Maybe everyone should do this.

Keith7
07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
gainesville has had to do it a few times in the past due to people failing and/or injuries.. normally makes for a tough j.v. team

tigerpride_08
07-29-2006, 12:49 PM
thats not a good move..give the freshman a team to at least give them a chance to play...

VWG
07-29-2006, 01:32 PM
It's not a numbers crunch. I am sure Graham will have about 35 to 45 kids come out for freshman football.
There are a couple of theories that have floated around to me.
One is that Case McCoy, the youngest of the McCoy's, is an incoming freshman and his dad wants him to play up with better competition.
Second is that McCoy didn't have a freshman team at Jim Ned.
So, they had two JV squads. This might have been due to a numbers crunch since it is a 2A school.
Whatever the reason this has to be the first time this has happened at Graham. I can't even remember any other schools in the North Texas area doing this unless they didn't have the numbers to put a freshman team together, which is definitely not the case in Graham.

BMOC
07-29-2006, 02:13 PM
The idea of having a freshmen squad(s) and sophomore and JV squads is to provide playing time and experience for down the road. Getting rid of a freshmen team and combining it with your sophomores is going to take away playing time from someone....and that could hurt later on down the line.

GreenMonster
07-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
The idea of having a freshmen squad(s) and sophomore and JV squads is to provide playing time and experience for down the road. Getting rid of a freshmen team and combining it with your sophomores is going to take away playing time from someone....and that could hurt later on down the line. says you. I say it gives the Fish more motivation to compete for their playing time in practice and places them up against stronger competition on a daily basis. To get better it is a must to challenge one's self. I like this concept. Sink or swim, no doggy paddling allowed.

maestro
07-29-2006, 03:22 PM
this is probably not the case here but...

budgets.....gas prices.....

i would not be surprised to see some changes.....especially during tourney times for volleyball, basketball, baseball......

it's getting expensive just to fire up the buses...

joetexas
07-29-2006, 03:59 PM
not a big deal... lots of schools do this. it actually lets some of those 9th graders who have not played much to play more because the guy that has played in front of them maybe moved up to Team A.

KTA
07-29-2006, 09:13 PM
I talked to Coach McCoy today and here is what he told me

Graham is having a big class of kids come up so they are going to have.....

A freshman team
A fresh/jv team
and a true JV team

he said its because he wants all the kids to be able to play. Also said hes going to have to find games for them as well. So to end all of this madness yes Graham WILL have a freshman team.

luvhoops34
07-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Thank you KTA_ for giving us the WORD from the man himself. :cool:

RMAC
07-30-2006, 12:32 AM
I heard the same thing as KTA . . . and he's also doing this so his son can play JV ball . . . he's too good to play at the freshmen level.

Fal44
07-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Fal always has a JV and Freshman team to start but by the middle of the season its one small team...

Adidas410s
07-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
I heard the same thing as KTA . . . and he's also doing this so his son can play JV ball . . . he's too good to play at the freshmen level.

seriously though...why let Stansell start this year if he has no intentions of starting him when he is a senior??? :thinking:

VWG
07-30-2006, 10:35 AM
I am confused. Graham's enrollment for the 2005 season was 740, and this year it's at 763.5. Not a huge increase. Last year, according to DCTF Graham had a total of 39 varsity players on the roster. Graham would probably get about 115 to 120 kids 9th through 12th grade out for football. You break that down and you're looking at about 20 to 21 kids for the three sub-varsity squads. Not many kids per team.
Also, from what I have heard, McCoy ELIMINATED two jr. high teams last year. Where Graham used to have an A,B,and a C team in both 7th and 8th grade he eliminated the C teams.
The jr. high has plenty of kids that could have fielded C teams, which would let every kid see a ton of playing time at that age level.
So now McCoy is adding a sub-varsity team due to increased enrollment?????
Sorry guys, I ain't buying it. I think it's for other reasons.
I am not doubting KTA's conversation with the coach, but I think the response was very politically correct.... and maybe there are other underlying reasons for the changes.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm with VWG...this move doesn't pass the smell test.

Matthew328
07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
If McCoy needs games for one of his teams tell him to call Everman...they have 4 teams at Everman..

a Freshman team
a sophomore team
a JV team
a Varsity team

Usually the sophomore team is alwasy looking for games...they usually only have 6 games scheduled per year...the rest of the time they are on JV.....

KTA
07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
"Where Graham used to have an A,B,and a C team in both 7th and 8th grade he eliminated the C teams. "

When I went to JR here in Graham we had 7th grade A, and B, and 8th Grade A, and B. Adding a C team is just watering it down too much. And this was right around the time Graham was 4A.

VWG
07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by KTA_KTA_KTA
When I went to JR here in Graham we had 7th grade A, and B, and 8th Grade A, and B. Adding a C team is just watering it down too much. And this was right around the time Graham was 4A.

I don't know how long Graham has played with three teams in the junior high level, but I do know that they had three teams for both 7th & 8th grade in 2004 season. One way to look at it is with a C team those kids who sit the bench or don't get to see much playing time get to start and play a ton. They get the experience of seeing what it's like, instead of just being a practice squad kid.
Don't you think that having 3 sub varsity teams will water Graham's talent down? If they do have an all freshman team, then some of the really talented freshman will be playing up with the new team created. This will take away from their strength as a freshman team. The fresh/soph team will again suffer as most of the good soph. players will either be battling for varsity spots or the JV team. It's a trickle down effect. I'm sorry but I just don't see the increase in numbers coming to hold water to this theory.
It's got to be something else.

44INAROW
07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
interesting concept. Maybe everyone should do this.

its getting like that down here with some of the teams we play, especially after the 1st six weeks and grades come out.

Cameron Crazy
07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
They are doing it because Coach Mccoys son will get a better chance of playing on a higher level.

RMAC
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
He's doing it so his kid can play at a higher level. The reason he doesn't just move him to varsity is b/c he does not have th size to play at the varsity level. He might be tall, but he doesn't weight enough. But I would bet you about 5 to 1 that come the 2007 season his son is taking the snaps and stansell gets moved to WR his sr. year.

Steer Fever
07-30-2006, 11:54 PM
It comes down to his son is what it is. This is going to blow up in his faceand there is going to be contoversy al over Graham come football season. You can't take away that his son is great the kids i have talked who played last year sya that he even could have started for them b/c he knew the system and could really throw the ball well. All in all it is stupid idea and by the end of the season you will be seeing Case be taking some snaps
Also i have been hearing from players in 7 on 7 that is Mccoy to Mccoy show. Just hat his dad wants to see

kepdawg
07-31-2006, 12:05 AM
So either:

1. Graham will have a large freshman class thus creating the need for an additional team?

or

2. The coach wants to play his son up, but for some crazy reason thinks he has to create a new team to do so?

Cameron Crazy
07-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
So either:

1. Graham will have a large freshman class thus creating the need for an additional team?

or

2. The coach wants to play his son up, but for some crazy reason thinks he has to create a new team to do so? Exactly!!! Its so stupid people here are really ticked off..

Mustangpride09
07-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by VWG
One is that Case McCoy, the youngest of the McCoy's, is an incoming freshman and his dad wants him to play up with better competition.

Then why doesnt he simply move his son up to JV?

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-31-2006, 06:37 PM
That is what he should do.

Or go over and get the new team creamed by Everman if he wants some "higher competition".

Pudlugger
07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
La Grange did this in 2001 when my son was a freshman. They didn't have enough sophs for a jv team so they combined them. Initially many parents complained due to the reduced playing time for their kids, but the coaches wisely substituted liberally and the team was really salty. In fact, in their second game they played Bay City jv (their varsity was 4a State Champ in 2000) in their stadium in 106 degree heat. With the continuous substitutions and depth the Leps pulled ahead late in the fourth to win 22-20. Needless to say the Black Cats were very upset to lose to a 3a school even though we were 3a State Champs also in 2000. BTW, the two varsity teams met in the HEB Classic at the Alamo Dome the next night and the Leps lost a tough defensive contest 9-3. The next year the BC jv game was rained out in La Grange so the Cats never did get a chance for payback. Too bad.

As for the experience my son got, I'd say it was a plus overall as he definately got to practice and play with a higher level of players. Even though he played about half the total time he would have had as a frosh starter, he had to compete with some big sophs who moved up to varsity latter in the season. That competition and heightened physical contact toughened him up fast.

lepfan
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
La Grange did this in 2001 when my son was a freshman. They didn't have enough sophs for a jv team so they combined them. Initially many parents complained due to the reduced playing time for their kids, but the coaches wisely substituted liberally and the team was really salty. In fact, in their second game they played Bay City jv (their varsity was 4a State Champ in 2000) in their stadium in 106 degree heat. With the continuous substitutions and depth the Leps pulled ahead late in the fourth to win 22-20. Needless to say the Black Cats were very upset to lose to a 3a school even though we were 3a State Champs also in 2000. BTW, the two varsity teams met in the HEB Classic at the Alamo Dome the next night and the Leps lost a tough defensive contest 9-3. The next year the BC jv game was rained out in La Grange so the Cats never did get a chance for payback. Too bad.

As for the experience my son got, I'd say it was a plus overall as he definately got to practice and play with a higher level of players. Even though he played about half the total time he would have had as a frosh starter, he had to compete with some big sophs who moved up to varsity latter in the season. That competition and heightened physical contact toughened him up fast.
That was a fun year wasn't it Pud????? Man I miss those days! The 'big big' guy did tell me that they also wanted to give the then sophs. a taste of winning...they had not had a winning season since 7th grade. They got a taste of it and kept on wanting (and getting) more. At first I was like...why they want to go and do that...but then as the season started I was happy it worked out the way it did. There was a lot of bonding...especially in the stands...:) The fun followed us.:D

Bandera YaYa
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
That was a fun year wasn't it Pud????? Man I miss those days! The 'big big' guy did tell me that they also wanted to give the then sophs. a taste of winning...they had not had a winning season since 7th grade. They got a taste of it and kept on wanting (and getting) more. Gee long time no see......you still in Kansas?? :D

lepfan
07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Gee long time no see......you still in Kansas?? :D Yep...it is growing on me...BUT it will never be like my Texas home!

Pudlugger
08-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Hey Lepfan, how's Cale doing? Alby starts summer workouts Aug 11th at Trinity. He red shirted last season due to a back injury, but he's been cleared to play and has been training hard. He's 6'1" and 280 now. Coach has moved him from tackle to guard due to his quickness. They scrimmage Howard Payne in Brownwood Aug 26. Say hey to all.

lepfan
08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Hey Lepfan, how's Cale doing? Alby starts summer workouts Aug 11th at Trinity. He red shirted last season due to a back injury, but he's been cleared to play and has been training hard. He's 6'1" and 280 now. Coach has moved him from tackle to guard due to his quickness. They scrimmage Howard Payne in Brownwood Aug 26. Say hey to all. He is doing good! He spends a lot of time riding the sand dunes on his quad... he really likes this place up here.