PDA

View Full Version : why the Astros should think before dealing...

maestro
07-28-2006, 05:22 PM
this week's sports illustrated magazine has a good article about the history of hasty trades.

goodness, how to motivate professional players??

SWMustang
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Go ahead and deal. They ain't going to the playoffs this year. They've been buyers often at the trade deadline and had to give up young talent. I think that's part of the problem this year - that and the Astros just suck... The year they got Randy Johnson, The 'Stros we're widely regarded as having the best farm system in MLB. Go ahead and part with some players and rebuild for a run in 2008.

AggieJohn
07-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Go ahead and deal. They ain't going to the playoffs this year. They've been buyers often at the trade deadline and had to give up young talent. I think that's part of the problem this year - that and the Astros just suck... The year they got Randy Johnson, The 'Stros we're widely regarded as having the best farm system in MLB. Go ahead and part with some players and rebuild for a run in 2008. when your paying 1 million dollars each time roger pitches, your not looking too just throw in the hat for the year

SWMustang
07-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I agree, but it's not happening this year. Need to think of the future and cut your losses. I'm sure you could get some top line prospects if you put Roger on the rent-a-player market.

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
when your paying 1 million dollars each time roger pitches, your not looking too just throw in the hat for the year

It doesn't do any good to pay him a million a start when he's
only getting 0.01 runs in support. They need a bat I don't
understand why they aren't offering up their entire triple A team
for Abreu or Soriano. Well, I do but you get my point.

AggieJohn
07-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It doesn't do any good to pay him a million a start when he's
only getting 0.01 runs in support. They need a bat I don't
understand why they aren't offering up their entire triple A team
for Abreu or Soriano. Well, I do but you get my point. that's exactly why they are looking to deal

Sweetwater Red
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that's exactly why they are looking to deal

The teams mention are different everyday on ESPN. But, I
heard last night that Detroit, Minnesota, and Houston are the
front runners for Soriano. When I go home today it will probably
be completely different but will know for sure by 3 pm Monday.