PDA

View Full Version : Coach of the Year Joins A&M's Staff

kepdawg
07-27-2006, 07:41 PM
JUCO basketball coach of year joins A&M staff

11:29 AM CDT on Thursday, July 27, 2006

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News

Jeremy Cox, who led Arkansas-Fort Smith to the national junior college basketball championship last season, was named an assistant at Texas A&M.

Cox was named the NJCAA Men’s Basketball Coach of the Year after leading Arkansas-Fort Smith to a 33-8 record. He fills one of two vacancies on A&M coach Billy Gillispie’s staff after the departures of Buzz Williams and Steve Forbes.

Cox, who was also an assistant at Wyoming (1991-92) and UT-San Antonio (1993-97), was 84-17 at Arkansas-Forth Smith, including three consecutive 20-win seasons. He was previously the head coach at Garden City (Kan.) Community College where he was 93-36 over four years.

E-mail kwhitmire@dallasnews.com

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 07:44 PM
good hire billy g

3afan
07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
so what transfer is coming with the coach?

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
so what transfer is coming with the coach? the ones that want too

GetRDoneStangs
07-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
good hire billy g

Dittos !!:clap: .. Could lead to some awesome recruits!!!

eagles_victory
07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Gillespie has some kinda connection to UAFS I think the coach who replaced him at UTEP came from UAFS I know there was a connecetion in there somewhere

Bulldog_12
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
This has been out for a while now. I posted it a few weeks ago. But its cool. lol. In related news, A&M picked up a HUGE recruit for 2007 in DeAndre jordan. He is a 6'11 Power Forward from Houston. His other top picks were Texas, Indiana, and LSU.

maestro
07-28-2006, 07:05 AM
I thought that the aggies played the toughest defense in the conference last year.

they got scored on but every shot was severly tested with all out hustle.

something good may be happeneing in aggie land hoops.

big daddy russ
07-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by maestro
I thought that the aggies played the toughest defense in the conference last year.

they got scored on but every shot was severly tested with all out hustle.

something good may be happeneing in aggie land hoops.
They had LSU on the ropes last year in the Tourney, but lost on a miracle. We'll see if they can capitalize on that success this year.

Who knows, A&M hoops may turn into the biggest sport on campus next year. OK, maybe that's stretching things a little too far.

Bulldog_12
07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
They had LSU on the ropes last year in the Tourney, but lost on a miracle. We'll see if they can capitalize on that success this year.

Who knows, A&M hoops may turn into the biggest sport on campus next year. OK, maybe that's stretching things a little too far.

Not stretching things too far at all. I work for the 12th man foundation and have heard more people call for basketball tickets than anything else. BCG is really getting people excited here. We have LSU on the schedule this year, so we will see if it takes another miracle shot to beat us again.

KTJ
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM

No offense to anyone, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Good pickup for A&M.

big daddy russ
07-28-2006, 10:06 AM
I was talking about the following that football has. There are just so many people who are nuts about Aggie football. A&M is one of those schools like Wisonsin, UT-Knoxville, Florida, and UT-Austin. No matter how good the basketball team gets, they'll always be overshadowed by the football team.

Bulldog_12
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
I was talking about the following that football has. There are just so many people who are nuts about Aggie football. A&M is one of those schools like Wisonsin, UT-Knoxville, Florida, and UT-Austin. No matter how good the basketball team gets, they'll always be overshadowed by the football team.

After a 5-6 year last year, trust me, there is more excitement about basketball than anything else.