PDA

View Full Version : Astros get Aggressive

Bulldog_12
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
I just read this story that claims the Astros are doing everything and making everyone available to get a big name bat. Things could get very interesting this weekend.
Agressive Astros (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5820522)

shellman54
07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
yeah, but i heard in an interview with Drayton that he was already stretched with payroll, and would not add anymore to it. difference of opinion, or constructive lying?

htowntransplant
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
a trade i would make:

to baltimore

nieve
lidge
everett

to houston

miggy

imagine the lineup.

biggio - 2b
burke - CF
berkman - 1B
tejada - SS
huff - RF
ensberg - 3B
wilson - LF
ausmus - C
pitcher

now the only "automatic outs are at the 8 and 9 hole as sopposed to the 7-8-9, where u are pretty much giving away an inning. u can then make qualls ur closer and push dave borkowski into a more setup-ish role.

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
yeah, but i heard in an interview with Drayton that he was already stretched with payroll, and would not add anymore to it. difference of opinion, or constructive lying?
In the article they pointed out that the Astros may drop as much as $50 million in payroll this offseason. The Rocket, Bagwell, and Petitte's (via free agency) contracts are likely to come off the books. The Astros typically keep their payroll in the $80-$90 million range. They could theoretically pick up another stud and still have plenty of room for him.

On that note, though, I think this is the last year of Ensberg's contract that pays him $500K a year and Huff will also be a FA. They'll have to do something with at least one of those guys.

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 12:23 PM
i wonder if the stros do sign pettitte though this offseason, i think he loves it here, so why wouldn't he resign

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I just read this story that claims the Astros are doing everything and making everyone available to get a big name bat. Things could get very interesting this weekend.
Agressive Astros (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5820522)

The Astros had a big bat in Carlos Beltran and they let him go.

shellman54
07-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

i still think they got shafted on that. Boras wanted Beltran to play in New York, simple as that.

Bulldog_12
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
i still think they got shafted on that. Boras wanted Beltran to play in New York, simple as that.

I agree with that. I think Houston lost Beltran no matter what.

District303aPastPlayer

you think Beltran didnt want to go? seriously... houston=small market team... as opposed to NY=large market team

AggieJohn
i still think they got shafted on that. Boras wanted Beltran to play in New York, simple as that. because he could move merchandise there more than others

Gobbla2001
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM

Yah, but the Astros have already showed they can make it to the World Series without him... plus he wanted more money than the 'Stros wanted to pay... and they made the World Series...

Everett's batting average has jumped the last 20 games (I believe) and he is GREAT on defense, so why get rid of him???

I can see letting Nieve out and Lidge... Lidge will probably be great next year, but you gotta win one when you can I guess and they have faith in this year's chances I assume...

I hope whatever they do works out, tricky business it must be...

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
you think Beltran didnt want to go? seriously... houston=small market team... as opposed to NY=large market team

There's something to be said for playing in small markets. Just
ask A-Rod which he would prefer right now...:D .

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
you think Beltran didnt want to go? seriously... houston=small market team... as opposed to NY=large market team he's a very secluded guy

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't know if ya'll remember, but the difference in money was negligible. If I remember correctly, the Astros offered him $99 million and he signed for just over $100 mil.

He had no ties whatsover to Houston and saw NY as an endorsement opportunity (and facetime op) waiting to happen. Where'd all those endorsements go?

Gobbla2001
07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know if ya'll remember, but the difference in money was negligible. If I remember correctly, the Astros offered him $99 million and he signed for just over $100 mil.

You freaking sports dictionary :mad:

I always thought it was the money, but in the round about way it is...

I just know they lost two big bats that offseason: Kent and Beltran...

Everyone boos Beltran at Minute Maid because of why he left...

Everyone standing O's Kent at Minute Maid because they understand the reasons he left (family stuff)...

Bulldog_12
07-27-2006, 12:57 PM

He had no ties whatsover to Houston and saw NY as an endorsement opportunity (and facetime op) waiting to happen. Where'd all those endorsements go?

Thats all true, but if you figure all of that stuff out, it IS for the money. After all of the endorsements and merchandising he would have been making a TON more than that 100 mil in NY.

shellman54
07-27-2006, 12:58 PM
to which the important question arises, are athletes more in it for the money or to win?

Bulldog_12
07-27-2006, 12:59 PM
to which the important question arises, are athletes more in it for the money or to win?

Im sure it starts out to win, but slowly moves to money as they find out that it is actually a job.

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Thats all true, but if you figure all of that stuff out, it IS for the money. After all of the endorsements and merchandising he would have been making a TON more than that 100 mil in NY.
Maybe. The only thing with that is that he had a lot more opportunities to be the face of an organization here in Houston. That accounts for a lot.

Now if he can keep up the rate at which he's been ripping the ball this year for a few consecutive years, he may be the face of the Mets when Pedro retires. That's some bank and that would make leaving worth it.

shellman54
07-27-2006, 01:05 PM
not with David Wright on that team.

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Shellman, I won't lie to you, if someone flashed $100 million in my face and told me to go live in the sewer that everyone calls NYC, I'd take the money and run. Even if I was going from a contender to a team like the Royals.

I think that earlier in an athlete's career, he's worried about gaining that financial stability and the wealth that everyone wants growing up. But as they progress through their careers, they become more financially stable for both the present and the future. When that happens, they begin to worry more about being happy and in the right situation. That's why you have guys like Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, the Rocket, etc take a contract at far less than their value to play for a team they want to play for.

On the other hand, if someone told me I could stay in Texas but I'd have to settle for $99 million, I'd gladly accept the money. And the fact that Texas doesn't have a state income tax.

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
not with David Wright on that team.
I forgot all about him. You're right. Beltran will never be the face of that team.

shellman54
07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Shellman, I won't lie to you, if someone flashed $100 million in my face and told me to go live in the sewer that everyone calls NYC, I'd take the money and run. Even if I was going from a contender to a team like the Royals.

I think that earlier in an athlete's career, he's worried about gaining that financial stability and the wealth that everyone wants growing up. But as they progress through their careers, they become more financially stable for both the present and the future. When that happens, they begin to worry more about being happy and in the right situation. That's why you have guys like Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, the Rocket, etc take a contract at far less than their value to play for a team they want to play for.

On the other hand, if someone told me I could stay in Texas but I'd have to settle for $99 million, I'd gladly accept the money. And the fact that Texas doesn't have a state income tax.

i would too. i guess being a native texan, makes me want to stay here. Even so, knowing that I would not have a harsh crowd day in and day out, would still be in the 4th biggest market in the US, and would still be fianacially set for life, would make Houston seem more pleasing.

Fal44
07-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Do yall think the astros can still make a run..? Cause I am loseing faith in them.. I just cant see them making the playoffs they way the play they have one or 2 great games and then they stink up the joint for about 3 or 4.. O and the Rangers Still suck went to the game and the blew the lead twice dang giambi and A-rod both hit some bombs

Maroon87
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
The Astros are only 5 games out of the wildcard. They were much worse off 2 years ago at this time and made it.

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
yeah but they didn't have the reds being as hot as they were

Maroon87
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Counting tonight the Astros play Cincy 7 more times this season. They'll have their chances to cut into the lead but they've gotta start beating other teams too.

wedo
07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Tejada would be great for the Astros!!! His bat is great !!!! And i know Everett plays good defense but, is he actually better defensively than Tejada?

shellman54
07-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Tejada would be great for the Astros!!! His bat is great !!!! And i know Everett plays good defense but, is he actually better defensively than Tejada?

yes, he is. i rag on everett alot, but he has alot of skills at the shortstop postion. now, if he could just rub some of that off on his bat...........

big daddy russ
07-28-2006, 01:57 AM
i would too. i guess being a native texan, makes me want to stay here. Even so, knowing that I would not have a harsh crowd day in and day out, would still be in the 4th biggest market in the US, and would still be fianacially set for life, would make Houston seem more pleasing.
Believe it or not, Houston's only the 17th largest market in the majors (http://home.nycap.rr.com/nickandaj/marketsize.html). As far as media market size, I think Houston's only 13th. It's been so long since I was in the business, though, it may have changed.

Media markets have a lot do with the metroplex, economy, financial growth in a city, etc. New York will always be #1, LA #2, and Chicago #3. But this is where it gets interesting. Boston's actually the #4 market as of the last time I checked, and it isn't even one of the ten largest cities in the US.

Take that one step further, Atlanta's not a top-ten city, either (I think they're right around #15), but they're the #7 market-- and that's why TBS was able to develop from a small, local cable station into a Superstation.

On the flip side, San Jose, California is the tenth-largest city in the US, is in a metroplex which includes two more of the top 50 cities (San Fran and Oakland), and they're seventh. Dallas, only the third-largest city in Texas and ninth in the US, is the seventh market because of the metroplex.

The nation's seventh-largest city, however, is only the 37th market. That's why the Spurs are considered a small-market team. By the same token, the city of Corpus Christi is the 57th-largest city in the US, has a larger population than both Buffalo, NY and Columbus, OH-- and barely trails Tampa, FL, but only carries the 129th-largest media market.

Did you follow all of that, Shellman? ;)

Originally posted by Fal44
Do yall think the astros can still make a run..? Cause I am loseing faith in them.. I just cant see them making the playoffs they way the play they have one or 2 great games and then they stink up the joint for about 3 or 4.. O and the Rangers Still suck went to the game and the blew the lead twice dang giambi and A-rod both hit some bombs
They can still make a run. They'll have to win some key games here and there, but there are still some 70 games to be played and they're only 6 games behind the Reds for the Wild Card. It could easily happen. Cincy's only one hammy away from the cellar.

Maroon87
07-28-2006, 02:00 AM
Cincy's only one hammy away from the cellar. [/B]

You mean Griffey Jr. ?:thinking:

big daddy russ
07-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
You mean Griffey Jr. ?:thinking:
Junior and Kearns. Heck, that entire outfield.

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2006, 06:42 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Thread piracy....sort of)

When Ricky Williams "retired" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: he stated that he had never particularly cared to play football, or something to that affect. Sorry, but if that's the case, why not only use it to get you through college, but then go pro? Hello! Be a man and stand up to your momma. When he "unretired", what was the reason? $8.5 million or he wanted to win?

Sweetwater Red
07-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Thread piracy....sort of)

When Ricky Williams "retired" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: he stated that he had never particularly cared to play football, or something to that affect. Sorry, but if that's the case, why not only use it to get you through college, but then go pro? Hello! Be a man and stand up to your momma. When he "unretired", what was the reason? $8.5 million or he wanted to win?

When he unretired it was because he owed Miami like $7 million.
He had no other way to pay them.

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2006, 07:15 AM
When he unretired it was because he owed Miami like $7 million.
He had no other way to pay them.
That was supposed to be my point, but I left out the "owed" part. :p ;)

Maroon87
07-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Junior and Kearns. Heck, that entire outfield.

They traded Kearns to the Nats a few weeks back for a bunch of relievers and Royce Clayton.

big daddy russ
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
They traded Kearns to the Nats a few weeks back for a bunch of relievers and Royce Clayton.
Wow, I'm out of the loop. He was on my fantasy team before the All-Star break, too.

tigerpride_08
07-28-2006, 11:04 AM
to the orioles:

Everret...replaced
Taveras...as much and i want to keep him
Ensberg...no need for him since aubrey showed up

Astros get:
Miguel