PDA

View Full Version : I'm pulling an all-nighter...

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Big test tomorrow morning. My prof is a Nazi. I'm brewing a huge pot of strong coffee.

If anyone has anything interesting to post, feel free.

Emerson1
07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I know I could, but I don't want to. G'night

mistanice
07-27-2006, 12:56 AM
anything interesting? how about you help me find a place to live in CS. Looking for an apt. 2b/2bth!!! ive found 2 that are in a good location for me. Eastmark and University commons. u know anything about those 2?

MHSvarsity2007
07-27-2006, 12:59 AM
week 0 is only 36 short days away

eagles_victory
07-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Big test tomorrow morning. My prof is a Nazi. I'm brewing a huge pot of strong coffee.

If anyone has anything interesting to post, feel free. at college orientation they made a big thing about how this was not the right way to go about a test or something lol

sahen
07-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
at college orientation they made a big thing about how this was not the right way to go about a test or something lol the peopel at orientation dont know what they are talkin about, you are not a true college student until you pull an all nighter, and for some people, like me, it is the best way to go....if i study all week for a test i forget what im doing....

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
anything interesting? how about you help me find a place to live in CS. Looking for an apt. 2b/2bth!!! ive found 2 that are in a good location for me. Eastmark and University commons. u know anything about those 2?
My first two years up here I lived in some duplexes right behind both of those. We used to jump the fence and raid the Eastmark pool. Right across the street from the Wolf Pen Creek Amphitheater and Park, one of the last stops on the bus route on the way to school.

Last I checked, the Commons were nicer but Eastmark is cheaper and bigger. Eastmark doesn't look as nice from the outside (it's older), but they're nice on the inside. Comes with a big pantry. Don't know if you've started cooking your own food yet or not, but when I got out on my own I realized that I could waste $5 on a burger or I could do up my own steak dinner for cheaper. Pantries come in handy.

Eastmark also has a great maintenance staff and takes care of all their stuff. I've had three real good friends who've lived there and they've all loved it. I can't say as much about the Commons because I only know two people that have lived there and I only knew those girls through other people. I've been to two parties at a four-bedroom over there, but can't remember much from those nights.

The Commons looks nice from the outside. If they have a good maintenance staff, I'd give them $800 a month for a two bedroom.

You might also want to check out the duplexes I used to live in. If you only have one roommate, it may not work out, but they're friggin' huge and pretty nice. Mine was on Azalea Ct and from what I've seen, those are the nicest. I paid $900/mo. my first year, then talked them down to $825.

It was a steal. Nice place, college community (so the cops don't get involved as much as they do in residential neighborhoods), 3 beds, two baths, WASHER AND DRYER INCLUDED, nice pantry, almost 1300 square feet. Also, the living area was big and open. The most my utilities ever ran was $280 one August with the a/c wide open. If you're just careful in how hard you run it, though, it wouldn't be hard to keep it under $200.

I think they've gone up since then. Maybe $975, but still a great deal.

Oh, and if you decide to rent one of those duplexes, try to steer clear of Arie Kahan (aka Manuel Drive Apts). He was my landlord the second year (my duplex got bought out mid-lease) and they've been known to Jew people.

They tried to take out from mine and my roommates deposits for stuff that we had requested that they fix months earlier. We were charged $20 each for a couple of knobs on the utility room door. We had also offered to touch up the nicks in the paint on the interior, but they told us not to worry about it, so we just filled in the holes from our posters and shelves. Wound up getting charged for that, along with a bunch of nick-knack stuff.

In the end, I got shafted. I framed the check he sent me. $4.78 out of $300, and the place looked better than it did when I moved in.

Even with all that, I'd still recommend those places over just about any other place I've seen.

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 01:37 AM
i like to play vollyball

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
at college orientation they made a big thing about how this was not the right way to go about a test or something lol
LOL. 'They' are liars. ;)

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 01:40 AM
i also hate the card swipe at the dorm, i think they kicked me out and didnt tell me, cause my card stopped working. kinda took my anger out on the card swipe though, it now has concavity tangent to the y axis on the horizantal asymptote.... very complex indeed

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by sahen
the peopel at orientation dont know what they are talkin about, you are not a true college student until you pull an all nighter, and for some people, like me, it is the best way to go....if i study all week for a test i forget what im doing....
Amen, brother.

E_V, one of these days (probably within your first year up here) you're going to have a class like this. These are the profs that make bets with their colleagues on who can have the most baggy-eyed stragglers stroll into their class on test day, only to get through the test and pass out just as they're turning the test in.

Out of the 22 people we started with, we're down to 7 right now. Nobody has an A. I think I've got the highest grade in the class and I'm going to have to do all the extra credit that's left (six movie or book reviews) just to ace the class.

Not gonna happen.

sahen
07-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Amen, brother.

E_V, one of these days (probably within your first year up here) you're going to have a class like this. These are the profs that make bets with their colleagues on who can have the most baggy-eyed stragglers stroll into their class on test day, only to get through the test and pass out just as they're turning the test in.

Out of the 22 people we started with, we're down to 7 right now. Nobody has an A. I think I've got the highest grade in the class and I'm going to have to do all the extra credit that's left (six movie or book reviews) just to ace the class.

Not gonna happen. those classes suck....it really sucks that your taking one of them in the summer too, most professors are easier in the summer from what i have heard, apparantly not that one...

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Amen, brother.

Not gonna happen.

haha, i had a chem teacher like that. started the class with about 180 students. after the first test half droped after he only gave a 6 point curve(i broke the curve for everyone:D ) and well....the class average was about a 68

i think 50 students finished the class

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by sahen
those classes suck....it really sucks that your taking one of them in the summer too, most professors are easier in the summer from what i have heard, apparantly not that one...
Yeah, his idea of a good time is "30 Chapters in 30 Days." Our book is 1500 pgs long. Our ideas of good times don't intersect anywhere on this path.

He's serious about covering every Chapter. And this guy's at Blinn, not some prestigious college that begins with the letter "Harv" and ends with "School of Law."

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
haha, i had a chem teacher like that. started the class with about 180 students. after the first test half droped after he only gave a 6 point curve(i broke the curve for everyone:D ) and well....the class average was about a 68

Some of our students got lucky. We have a scantron quiz everyday (quizzes count for about 30% of your grade) and they knew immediately that this wasn't the class for them.

The first test wasn't too bad, and I say that loosely. We had one A (me), a B, four C's, and a D. Keep in mind, though, that every student that stuck this class out is pretty serious about school, so your average class wouldn't have done this 'well.' I'm the only student who's not in a four-year school. We have one at LeTourneau, three at A&M, one at UMHB, and one at Sam Houston.

That class you had, though, sounds even tougher. Can't say I pity you. I'm glad I'm not finishing up with a BIMS or Biology degree.

For Christmas, I'm buying my prof tickets to the Nutcracker, cause he's been busting our balls like no other.

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 02:17 AM

For Christmas, I'm buying my prof tickets to the Nutcracker, cause he's been busting our balls like no other.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
no, not doing anything in biology or chem, just had to take chem1 and 2 for a piece of paper that says mechanical and aerospace engineer.:D still have way more ahead of me though, i wish my classes were as easy as that chem class now hahahaha

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 02:22 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
no, not doing anything in biology or chem, just had to take chem1 and 2 for a piece of paper that says mechanical and aerospace engineer.:D still have way more ahead of me though, i wish my classes were as easy as that chem class now hahahaha
LOL. Good luck. I hate math.

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 02:27 AM
LOL. Good luck. I hate math.

i do now....hahaha i love classes outside the math part sometimes, think i might try a triple minor with my double major. sounds tasty huh?

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 02:36 AM
i do now....hahaha i love classes outside the math part sometimes, think i might try a triple minor with my double major. sounds tasty huh?
ROFL. How many degrees are you getting?

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 02:48 AM
ROFL. How many degrees are you getting?

im double majoring, one in mechanical engineering, one in aerospace engineering, with a minor in business, science, and math.....maybe spanish hahaha

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 02:53 AM
im double majoring, one in mechanical engineering, one in aerospace engineering, with a minor in business, science, and math.....maybe spanish hahaha
:eek: How many hours is that gonna be? Ever thought about just nixing the business and science and getting an MBA? I don't know how those minors work with your majors, but that may actually be more school than a Master's. I know my minor (Poli Sci) will be an extra 18 hours.

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 03:03 AM
This sucks, I'm starting to get cross-eyed.

I.... need.... more.... coffee.

Been trying to switch betwen the DL and my notes, but it's just not working. I wish I owned an IV machine. I also wish Carlos Valdez was a good buddy of mine. That way I could go automatic drip with straight caffeine.

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 03:05 AM
:eek: How many hours is that gonna be? Ever thought about just nixing the business and science and getting an MBA? I don't know how those minors work with your majors, but that may actually be more school than a Master's. I know my minor (Poli Sci) will be an extra 18 hours.

im getting the minors to go with my majors jsut cause i need a few classes to keep my mind fresh, and it will take 6 years for the double major the rate im going(3 more!!!)

i dont mind, scholorships are my friend

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 03:08 AM
im getting the minors to go with my majors jsut cause i need a few classes to keep my mind fresh, and it will take 6 years for the double major the rate im going(3 more!!!)

i dont mind, scholorships are my friend
LOL. That's cool. Most people spend four... well, five years trying to get out of school. Then they spend the next 50 trying to go back. I'd much rather be doing what I'm doing right now than going back to slave labor.

spiveyrat
07-27-2006, 06:46 AM

That was you???!!! :mad:

DU_stud04
07-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
That was you???!!! :mad:

hahaha, i folded my test after i got it and walked out slowly....cant let anyone else find out

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
My prof just spoon fed me some rump roast. That's right, he handed me my butt. Three days of studying and one all-nighter and I still didn't know the stuff. That's OK, though, neither did the other girl in my class. Maybe he'll curve it a little.

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, his idea of a good time is "30 Chapters in 30 Days." Our book is 1500 pgs long. Our ideas of good times don't intersect anywhere on this path.

He's serious about covering every Chapter. And this guy's at Blinn, not some prestigious college that begins with the letter "Harv" and ends with "School of Law." i thought it was supposed to be "blindergarten"

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i thought it was supposed to be "blindergarten"
It is. Unfortunately, I'm always the last person to register for classes, so I tend to get stuck with all the guys like this.

But hey, that's what I get in exchange for my investment in wasted time prior to registration. I'm a huge procrastinator.

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
It is. Unfortunately, I'm always the last person to register for classes, so I tend to get stuck with all the guys like this.

But hey, that's what I get in exchange for my investment in wasted time prior to registration. I'm a huge procrastinator. so have i

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
so have i
I feel your pain, AJ. I'm still holding onto a 3.2 at Blinn, but if I keep procrastinating the way I have been it'll drop as soon as I get to San Marcos.

AggieJohn
07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
I feel your pain, AJ. I'm still holding onto a 3.2 at Blinn, but if I keep procrastinating the way I have been it'll drop as soon as I get to San Marcos. i'm busting my a$$ right now since i found out i might graduate cum laude

big daddy russ
07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
i'm busting my a$$ right now since i found out i might graduate cum laude
Really? That's awesome. I'm going to try to get into grad school after I finish. I'd like to go to UT simply because they have one of the top ten programs in the nation (both Poli Sci and Comm-- whichever I wind up going with), but we'll see if I stay in San Marcos after we see the grades.