PDA

View Full Version : Two-A-Days.....

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Just got back from making a few laps on the HS track. Some of the local young guys were running bleachers....don't know if they were all going to play at some college or in HS---Stopped and asked them..."You guys ready for 2-a-days?" To a man they replied, "Yes sir". I said--"Good Luck, and take care of yourselves in this heat, but I know you have mixed emotions about the start of 2-a-days". Who could ever forget the "joys" of 2-a-days. I thought I was bullemic for the first few practices way back when in the day. :D

maestro
07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
very few true two-a-days anymore....

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by maestro

You're right, maestro---They're probably all still laughing, but they knew my "heart" was in the right place, even if my head wasn't. Practice has changed a lot---and necessisarily so, too many heat related deaths are occurring.

AggieJohn
07-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You're right, maestro---They're probably all still laughing, but they knew my "heart" was in the right place, even if my head wasn't. Practice has changed a lot---and necessisarily so, too many heat related deaths are occurring. mainly cause kids don't eat like they used too

hawkfan
Originally posted by maestro

So true, We have so many staff days we are only getting to do about four or five days of 2-a-days.

Gobbla2001
Originally posted by AggieJohn
mainly cause kids don't eat like they used too

nm

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
We had the "visit" tonight. Wednesday of next week - fittings for helmets, pads, etc. WOOHOO!!! It's almost here. :)

Are ya'll going to get sick of me if I have two games to report on? :D

LHMom
07-26-2006, 09:58 PM
AH! The visit! I loved that!

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We had the "visit" tonight. Wednesday of next week - fittings for helmets, pads, etc. WOOHOO!!! It's almost here. :)

Are ya'll going to get sick of me if I have two games to report on? :D

I think I have an idea about "the visit" but you gals go ahead and tell us for sure.

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think I have an idea about "the visit" but you gals go ahead and tell us for sure.
The coaches come to visit the parents of the projected varsity players. :)

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The coaches come to visit the parents of the projected varsity players. :)

Well congrats to the varsity Liberty Hill Panther in your house, LHPM. It don't get much bigger than that in Texas for a young man.

DU_stud04
07-26-2006, 10:37 PM
we had3adays.....

kaorder1999
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
check this out....the earliers you can start 2 a days is August 7. You HAVE to have 4 days of non contact drills which means no blocking dummies, no contact at all. We start school August 10 which means we can suit up in full pads until the 2nd day of school. That is freaking crazy

Emerson1
07-26-2006, 11:36 PM
We have 1 days of 2 a days, not sure if its even contact.

wedo
07-27-2006, 08:30 AM
My senior year we had one big long practice from like 2:30 till dark with an 45 min break!!! It was hot!!! I remember it was so hot on day the grass was burning my feet and i had cleats on!! And when we did up downs you could just feel the heat off the ground!!!

STANG RED
07-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I loved playing hs football, but sure dont miss those two a days. It seems like we had at least 2 full weeks of real two a days, but it felt like it was a month at least. I think we started at 6 am and went till 10 or 11 for the monrning session, and came back at about 5 went till ??? whenever. I remember it was usually dark when I was heading home, and I remember thinking I was going to starve to death before I got there.
You know, come to think of it, we may have had a full week of two a days without pads, and then 2 full weeks with pads. I really cant remember for sure. 74, 75, 76, & 77 was a long time ago!!!
But I definately remember the pain!!!

44INAROW
07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I really cant remember for sure. 74, 75, 76, & 77 was a long time ago!!!

Oh it was a LONG time ago, but I sure have some great memories of those day :p

STANG RED
07-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Oh it was a LONG time ago, but I sure have some great memories of those day :p

Yeah, but the bad thing is, Im wondering what great memories I have forgotten.:D

Maroon87
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
I went through 4 years of two a days. In fact we were the last freshman class at Calallen to have two a days at least that I know of. My soph year the fish began only having one a day practices while everyone else was 2 a day. As much as I hated them then, I have good memories of them. Probably because I don't have to go through them anymore...;)

garageoffice
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
check this out....the earliers you can start 2 a days is August 7. You HAVE to have 4 days of non contact drills which means no blocking dummies, no contact at all. We start school August 10 which means we can suit up in full pads until the 2nd day of school. That is freaking crazy

That's really more of a comment on when your district chooses to start school than how long you have two-a-days. The UIL standard for starting practice is the first Monday in August. Last year that was 8/1, but this year it is 8/7. Schools in Texas have been moving their start dates up over the years in spite of the fact that they always complain about the high cost of A/C. Most schools now start around the middle of the month which, in other years would give them about 2 weeks of time for two-a-days.

It wasn't really that long ago that most schools started classes the week before Labor Day. Of course, back then the UIL had a different standard for practices, too.

pirate4state
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
This is all so crazy. School starts on August 14th which means 2-a-days are only gonna last a week? AND we have to wait until Sept. 1st for the first game? grrrrrr....:mad: :D :D

footballgal
07-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I am not sure when they start in PI yet, but my cousin in Cotulla says they start Aug. 1st. I feel so bad for them, because it's soooo hot in Cotulla, whatever it's in Laredo add a few more degrees. (Town is in a "hole" literally and it gets really, really, hot and so does the towns water! There is hot and then there is boiling hot water! :( ) FYI, Cotulla Cowboys will be 2A this year, hoping they do well in that classification. My cousin who is a soph, was named on DC mag. as top soph/player to watch in the dist. Currently is the 3rd back, but I know he is going to do well, you look at him and you can tell he is a fullback, did exceptionally well in JV as a freshman last season.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
The last two years, we would go out in shorts, shirts, and helmets for Monday-Friday from 8:00-12:00, with conditioning and weights afterwards, and a 30 minute break at 10:00. Then on Saturday we would come in and go full pads for the same amount of time. Ahh, those were the good old days, I'd do anything to go back through it all again.

Old Tiger
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
The weight lifting wasn't too bad it was the conditioning after the second practice that got me.

garageoffice
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I am not sure when they start in PI yet, but my cousin in Cotulla says they start Aug. 1st. I feel so bad for them, because it's soooo hot in Cotulla, whatever it's in Laredo add a few more degrees. (Town is in a "hole" literally and it gets really, really, hot and so does the towns water! There is hot and then there is boiling hot water! :( ) FYI, Cotulla Cowboys will be 2A this year, hoping they do well in that classification. My cousin who is a soph, was named on DC mag. as top soph/player to watch in the dist. Currently is the 3rd back, but I know he is going to do well, you look at him and you can tell he is a fullback, did exceptionally well in JV as a freshman last season.

They can't start any actual practices until the 7th. Check out the link:

UIL Football (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/football/)

Fal44
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
We start on the 7th but we start school on the 14th so these are going to be the shortest 2 days I have ever been in...

footballgal
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
They can't start any actual practices until the 7th. Check out the link:

UIL Football (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/football/)
I probably misunderstood, I think he said it was a monday and looking at the calendar that's on the 7th, so your right.

wedo
07-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
. Ahh, those were the good old days, I'd do anything to go back through it all again.

Exactly how i feel !!!!!! When i go to the first two a day practices i really miss it!!! And then when i go to the game and hear the school song and fight song i get goosebumps!!! I wish i could go back in time!!!!!!

Old Tiger
07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Ahh, those were the good old days, I'd do anything to go back through it all again. Maybe with a different set of coaches