PDA

View Full Version : Andrea Yates found not guilty by reason of insanity...

Maroon87
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Verdict just announced.

Sinton94
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Verdict just announced.

THAT"S SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blastoderm55
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Good grief, didn't her mother even say it was premeditated??? Ah well, guess premeditation by a psycho is still a psycho.

pirate44
07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
rediculous

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Ridiculous. I have a very personal problem with the insanity plea. But I'm not gonna go into that. All I will say is this: don't you almost HAVE to be insane to kill a person?

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Who is this lady again?

Blastoderm55
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Who is this lady again?

Lady from Houston who drowned all her kids in the tub.

CHS_CG
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
all I am goin to say is somebody should drown her in a bath tub then let her up for air right b4 she passes out and do it 4 more times!

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
She'll be found guilty in the long run.

luvhoops34
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
If anybody should have been found guilty it was her husband. He completely ignored all the warning signs and left her alone with all those kids. He's the guilty party in my book.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM

True...and I still say...How did the dad NOT notice she was
unstable? I mean with her long enough to have what 5 kids?

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM

Wrong. Can't try her again. Now if they would have declared "mentally incompetant to stand trial" I would agree with you. But they didn't, they already said "not guilty by reason of insanity."

Trust me on this one, I've been around the block a few times on this insanity plea stuff.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Wrong. Can't try her again. Now if they would have declared "mentally incompetant to stand trial" I would agree with you. But they didn't, they already said "not guilty by reason of insanity."

Trust me on this one, I've been around the block a few times on this insanity plea stuff.

GOD ???

Maroon87
07-26-2006, 12:37 PM
This was already her second trial. The original conviction was tossed out due to some technicality.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 12:39 PM
This was already her second trial. The original conviction was tossed out due to some technicality.

Here is a link to the reason?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/17/yates.trial.ap/index.html

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat

Trust me on this one, I've been around the block a few times on this insanity plea stuff. I think you missed what I was making my point about.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:43 PM

New evidence was introduced. They have now exhausted all evidenced. She won't be tried again.

Tiger WR - ok so that is what you meant. That's the first conclusion I jumped to, then I said, "no wait maybe he doesn't realize" :)

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:45 PM
lol...brain farts happen

pirate4state
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
wow ....

slpybear the bullfan
07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
UNBELIEVABLE...

The trial is an absolute farce. The doc said her insanity stimmed from her "loss of identity" rather than postpartum depression. Reason given for loss of identity? Her husband was a controlling, intimidating spouse.

BULL$&!^.

I heard this strategy of "blaming it on the husband" before the first trial and said it would never work. Oh well... I guess we live in a much, much sadder world than what i thought.

A lady chases down her five children one by one... holds each one down in the tub, kicking and screaming while they drown... pulls their body out... and grabs the next one... and does it five times. The last kid was seven and knew what was happening. She testified she had to chase the kid around for a long time.

Not Guilty?

Bull$#@!.

It is gut wrenching to hear about this story.

Parents... please go hug your kids extra special when you see them.

Andrea Yates... please go rot away and then burn in hell. I hope you spend every waking moment for all time seeing those kids.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
These defense teams and their ability to pick the 12 stupidest
people on the planet for juries! :mad:

See O.J. trial...:mad:

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
And the Michael Jackson jury

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 01:04 PM
And the Michael Jackson jury

Right that too...:mad: .

slpybear the bullfan
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
She was on trial this time for three of the murders.

I sincerely hope the state presses forward, studies this trial, and convicts her on the next two murders.

injuredinmelee
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Yates will spend the rest of her life in institutions espite the not guilty by insanity. She will be a permanent resident of Vernon State hospital.

DU_stud04
07-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Verdict just announced.

thats terrible...just get ride her already, one less crazy person we have to deal with

maestro
07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
well...what can you do????

good grief...

Bandera YaYa
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I have so many thoughts about this case. Being a mother, I cannot imagine a "sane" mother doing this to one child, much less all of hers. It is something that just doesn't seem possible to me...at all, so I have to believe that she was totally out of her mind...blazing crazy to have done this deed. Then there are the beautiful children who suffered such a tragic end to their precious lives. I have seen them laughing and smiling and playing with each other and with their mom. They all looked happy and loving. Again, I can't imagine their mother killing them if she were sane at the time..What I think is the real tragedy here, is the father, her husband, that seeminly ignored her condition and then kept making her have another child! He has gotten off scott free........hell, he has remarried already. I think this is a case of the overbearing husband, expecting perfection in a wife...a wife that couldn't live up to his standards, taking pill after pill to try to make herself perfect and well. What I think was really strange, was how Rusty (the husband) acted right after the tragic incident. He seemed too calm and too quick to say he loved his wife and stood by her. He has said she was a loving mother and a kind person........well he stood by her so well, he divorced her and moved on down the road.......that seems just really odd to me. All that said, Andrea will have to live, knowing what she did, in whatever state of mind she was in at the time. I don't see how a sane person could endure life, knowing that she purposefully killed all her kids. My take is that she was totally insane from stress or too many pills or whatever. I have to think that, being a mom.....anyways, God bless those little souls..... :(

rockdale80
07-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I have so many thoughts about this case. Being a mother, I cannot imagine a "sane" mother doing this to one child, much less all of hers. It is something that just doesn't seem possible to me...at all, so I have to believe that she was totally out of her mind...blazing crazy to have done this deed. Then there are the beautiful children who suffered such a tragic end to their precious lives. I have seen them laughing and smiling and playing with each other and with their mom. They all looked happy and loving. Again, I can't imagine their mother killing them if she were sane at the time..What I think is the real tragedy here, is the father, her husband, that seeminly ignored her condition and then kept making her have another child! He has gotten off scott free........hell, he has remarried already. I think this is a case of the overbearing husband, expecting perfection in a wife...a wife that couldn't live up to his standards, taking pill after pill to try to make herself perfect and well. What I think was really strange, was how Rusty (the husband) acted right after the tragic incident. He seemed too calm and too quick to say he loved his wife and stood by her. He has said she was a loving mother and a kind person........well he stood by her so well, he divorced her and moved on down the road.......that seems just really odd to me. All that said, Andrea will have to live, knowing what she did, in whatever state of mind she was in at the time. I don't see how a sane person could endure life, knowing that she purposefully killed all her kids. My take is that she was totally insane from stress or too many pills or whatever. I have to think that, being a mom.....anyways, God bless those little souls..... :(

Well whatever state she was in she should face the electric chair in my mind. There are too many people that do things like this and blame some events in their past so that they dont have to face their punishment. If she was not happy with her husband then she could have packed up and left. If she was not happy with her husband and the burden he put upon her then she should have snapped on him. But to tell me that the husband should be held accountable for her actions is beyond my belief. She MURDERED 5 children for absolutely no reason, and that is the bottom line. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. What do you expect the husband to do? Stay married to the woman that killed his 5 children and be at her side? Marriages have their problems, and I am not advocating divorce, but if it is too much their are other outlets than MURDER. That is like saying people that rape women did it because they were molested as children and it is not their fault, but their crazy uncle, father, or neighbor. Restore accountability in America and stop playing the blame game.

Bandera YaYa
07-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Well whatever state she was in she should face the electric chair in my mind. There are too many people that do things like this and blame some events in their past so that they dont have to face their punishment. If she was not happy with her husband then she could have packed up and left. If she was not happy with her husband and the burden he put upon her then she should have snapped on him. But to tell me that the husband should be held accountable for her actions is beyond my belief. She MURDERED 5 children for absolutely no reason, and that is the bottom line. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. What do you expect the husband to do? Stay married to the woman that killed his 5 children and be at her side? Marriages have their problems, and I am not advocating divorce, but if it is too much their are other outlets than MURDER. That is like saying people that rape women did it because they were molested as children and it is not their fault, but their crazy uncle, father, or neighbor. Restore accountability in America and stop playing the blame game. Hey, I can't disagree with you either! I can totally see that side too. Part of me wants to see her burn in hell. I hate what she did...i can't imagine it.....it's beyond anything I could ever imagine. I think she should be made accountable....just saying I think it's not just black and white here.,....lot's of grey ....

injuredinmelee
07-26-2006, 09:52 PM
the chair is too good a punishment for this whacko. I hope she is tortued and beaten on a daily basis by the rest of the whack jobs in Vernon. I hope she lives in pain and anguish for all eternity. There is no excuse for what she did. None at all.

DaRaiderz
07-26-2006, 10:36 PM
The insane defense is just crap. Anyone who kills a person is insane in my opinion in some form or fashion. She deserves the chair for killing those children.

If she was so nuts and everyone knew it like they claim, then the father of those children should be put on trial for negligent entrustment for leaving her alone with the kids.

spiveyrat
07-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey, I can't disagree with you either! I can totally see that side too. Part of me wants to see her burn in hell. I hate what she did...i can't imagine it.....it's beyond anything I could ever imagine. I think she should be made accountable....just saying I think it's not just black and white here.,....lot's of grey ....

I'm with ya, YAYA. I probably would have been more condemning of her before my daughter was born. But my wife did experience some post-partum depression after her birth and I saw a big change in her. Not enough for her to kill our kids or herself, but she definitely had "the blues". It lasted a few months and was an "off and on" kind of thing. She went in to the doctor 2 or 3 times for hormone shots that did help her. So, I'm definitely not condoning what she did because it makes my stomach twist. But through my experience, I can see a lot more of the grey that YaYa speaks of. You guys who haven't been married and had kids yet, when you do get married, look for signs of depression after your wife has given birth. If you see them, take your lady to the doctor. It can be treated. :)

Bandera YaYa
07-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I'm with ya, YAYA. I probably would have been more condemning of her before my daughter was born. But my wife did experience some post-partum depression after her birth and I saw a big change in her. Not enough for her to kill our kids or herself, but she definitely had "the blues". It lasted a few months and was an "off and on" kind of thing. She went in to the doctor 2 or 3 times for hormone shots that did help her. So, I'm definitely not condoning what she did because it makes my stomach twist. But through my experience, I can see a lot more of the grey that YaYa speaks of. You guys who haven't been married and had kids yet, when you do get married, look for signs of depression after your wife has given birth. If you see them, take your lady to the doctor. It can be treated. :) Awww...you wife is one lucky gal! In a marriage it takes each of you supporing and really looking out for each other when things happen.....post-partum is a legit but horrible thing to go thru....I just don't think Yates had the support she needed.....if she had, this might of had a very different ending........we all should be aware of what's going on with the people we love, be it a spouse, a parent or a child....we all need and require a little extra help and understanding at times in our lives. And, in the end, it is between her and God....He knows the truth. Everyone hug their kids, spouses and parents as often as you can......peace!

KindaCool
07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
so instead of killing her asap, tax payers get to pay for a lifetime of room and board and therapy sessions - wish i could get tax payers to pay room and board for my kid currently in college and the two headed that way in a few years

maybe i could set up a paypal for the cause

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by KindaCool
so instead of killing her asap, tax payers get to pay for a lifetime of room and board and therapy sessions - wish i could get tax payers to pay room and board for my kid currently in college and the two headed that way in a few years

maybe i could set up a paypal for the cause

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hell, even when they are given the death penalty they sit on
death row 20 years until their appeals run out. What's the
difference?

Not arguing your point...just bashing the system.

KindaCool
07-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Hell, even when they are given the death penalty they sit on
death row 20 years until their appeals run out.

thats true, and to quote ron white - "most states are abolishing the death penalty - our state is putting in an express lane"

i say give her the needle without the pain killers

Macarthur
07-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I think the big question here is should we execute people that are insane? And maybe the bigger question is can we quantify insanity?

Theoretically, I am pro-death penalty. However, you all remember the story a couple of weeks ago in which DNA proved an innocent man was put to death a few years ago. I know there is no question who killed the kids in this case, but in my mind, if we execute one innocent person, the entire institution of executions is flawed.

So back to my original question, if we had a way to quantify insanity, I would be okay with the insanity plea. However, it just seems so subjective.

And to answer my other question, I would be in favor of executing someone that is insane as long as there is no mental retardation present.

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 10:20 AM
IMO in a case of a crime as horrific and appauling as this the state
of mind she was in shouldn't be a factor.

Bandera YaYa
07-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I heard one of the jurors talk this morning about how hard the decision was, but I have to believe that they did the correct thing, they heard the evidence, etc. and we did not. As for us paying for her hospital stay and all.....heck look at who is using the Lone Star card next time you are in the grocery store......me, I'd rather my hard earned money go to treating the mentall ill then the loser with the card, buying beer and cigs with real money, while his/her 3 dirty kids run amuck in the aisles......

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I heard one of the jurors talk this morning about how hard the decision was, but I have to believe that they did the correct thing, they heard the evidence, etc. and we did not. As for us paying for her hospital stay and all.....heck look at who is using the Lone Star card next time you are in the grocery store......me, I'd rather my hard earned money go to treating the mentall ill then the loser with the card, buying beer and cigs with real money, while his/her 3 dirty kids run amuck in the aisles......

Been there...Stop at a store to get a pack of smokes and a
woman in front of me is buying chips, jerky, donuts, candy bars, etc....and whips out her LSC.

Just think how much farther that would stretch if she was at the
grocery store buying meat, bread, and cheese...:thinking: .

Bandera YaYa
07-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Been there...Stop at a store to get a pack of smokes and a
woman in front of me is buying chips, jerky, donuts, candy bars, etc....and whips out her LSC.

Just think how much farther that would stretch if she was at the
grocery store buying meat, bread, and cheese...:thinking: . Doesn't that just burn the hella outta ya?? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... damn stupid, uneducated ...
UGH!!!! Get a job!!!! Every time I witness that, I just wanna slap the tar outta them!!!! :mad: :mad:

Sweetwater Red
07-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Doesn't that just burn the hella outta ya?? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... damn stupid, uneducated ...
UGH!!!! Get a job!!!! Every time I witness that, I just wanna slap the tar outta them!!!! :mad: :mad:

Yes it does disgust me. Especially when I see the deductions on
my check stub every Friday. I think that they shouldn't be allowed
to use them at convenience stores period.

Bandera YaYa
07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Yes it does disgust me. Especially when I see the deductions on
my check stub every Friday. I think that they shouldn't be allowed
to use them at convenience stores period. That's a great idea! Dont' they know things are way more expensive at the corner stop and shop!!! No wait....we are taking uneducated here...... :rolleyes:

Macarthur
07-27-2006, 01:10 PM
IMO in a case of a crime as horrific and appauling as this the state
of mind she was in shouldn't be a factor.

How do you figure?

Isn't her state of mind the central question here?

By you post, I guess your answer is that you would execute the person regardless of their state of mind?