PDA

View Full Version : Fans Standing Up at Games

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 11:47 AM
This is an old issue, but how do you feel when fans in front of you stand up for the entire game. Personally, I love it, but if you have kids or older folks with you, are you out of line to ask them politely to sit down now and then? I've seen some near fisticuffs happen in some of these situations involving less than polite fans. Do you find any other types of fan behavior at games irritating? Real-life experiences?

Ranger Mom
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
LOL!! (Sorry LHPM).....those annoying cowbells!!

I'm all for the noise makers, but some of those really big cowbells hurt my ears!!

44INAROW
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
People sit down at football games? ;)

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Propane tanks are the shiz for making noise.

On a side note we pissed this lady from Robinson off during softball because we woudl do it right behind her. The she tried to bust some UIL BS on us and we were like that's only for indoor events.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I stand up very often. Especially, when Skye Green runs a sweep
cause that's usually good for a TD :D. I keep in mind if elderly
people are standing near by. Kids usually are either in the student
section or too young to even be concerned with watching the game.

Emerson1
07-26-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't mind people standing at HS football games. But at wrestling events and nba games I have seen people almost get into fights because people wouldn't sit down.

pirate44
Originally posted by 44INAROW
i wish they would every now and then. thankfully Phil_C who sits in front of our seats is very considerate and sits down sometimes

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Propane tanks are the shiz for making noise.

On a side note we pissed this lady from Robinson off during softball because we woudl do it right behind her. The she tried to bust some UIL BS on us and we were like that's only for indoor events.

Those things hurt to!! Normally they wouldn't bother me, but I had a really bad sinus infection one day, and shouldn't have been at a football game in the first place, but I was.

Everytime they would shake those my ears felt like they were being stabbed with a bunch of little knives!!

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! (Sorry LHPM).....those annoying cowbells!!

I'm all for the noise makers, but some of those really big cowbells hurt my ears!!

You should've been at our semi-final game last year.
200 airhorns !!! :D

Old Tiger
Ouch!

Bullaholic
The only times I have ever confronted another fan about their behavior is when they cuss the players by name and really belittle and abuse them verbally for a bad play. It o.k. to get upset with entire units and coaches, but never, ever is there any justification for a personal attack on a player.

Sinton94
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I hate it when fans scream at the coaches " come on coach run the ball, throw the ball, you should have went for it" There are some real losers out there that actually think they know more than the coaches.

I'll take a fan standing up cheering for his or her team over these goof balls any day.

KTJ
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This is an old issue, but how do you feel when fans in front of you stand up for the entire game. Personally, I love it, but if you have kids or older folks with you, are you out of line to ask them politely to sit down now and then? I've seen some near fisticuffs happen in some of these situations involving less than polite fans. Do you find any other types of fan behavior at games irritating? Real-life experiences?

Welcome to the West Side of DKR.

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Sinton94
I hate it when fans scream at the coaches " come on coach run the ball, throw the ball, you should have went for it" There are some real losers out there that actually think they know more than the coaches.

I'll take a fan standing up cheering for his or her team over these goof balls any day. Sometimes they do, if you get what I'm saying.

Gobbla2001
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
I love standing... that's why I stand at the fence...

Sinton94
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Sometimes they do, if you get what I'm saying.

Then they should become coaches.:D

3afan
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
it dont bother me

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I love standing... that's why I stand at the fence...

Too cheap to buy a ticket ? :D :D :D

Sinton94
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

We have fans that have reserved tickets and still stand at the fence.

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, it's called "half-time". :D

I probably stand 90-95% of the time during play. We normally sit in roughly the same spot, surrounded by the same folks, who are standing as well. The first time I sit near someone, I warn them that I'm loud (even without the cowbells, RM :p ).

3 years ago at Burnet, we got whatever seat we could find. Unfortunately, it was in front of a band mom who had absolutely NO interest in the game itself, only in halftime. She did however, tell us "This is a football game, for Pete's sake....why are you standing?". LHPD politely told her that we would sit at the half so she could watch her child, but that since the people in front of us were standing, so would we. ;)

The thing that irks me is when some wanna-be (coach or player) thinks that they could do SUCH a better job. We have one fan that to listen to him, he can coach, block, hit, run, throw, catch, tackle, punt and kick better than anyone out there. :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM

Ha... nah, I pay, but the fence is better, plus Old Green's down there so we usually talk about what's going on and make bets on which cheerleader will fall first and how many it'll take to pick her up etc... (jk).... and it's quicker to get to the smokin' area...

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
The only thing I can do better than the guys on the field is ref :D

Seriously, though, most games I'm on the sidelines with a camera. When I am in the stands, I usually sit about half the time and stand the other half. This is consistent with the rest of the people around me. So the standing up doesn't really bug me at all.

3afan
07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

The thing that irks me is when some wanna-be (coach or player) thinks that they could do SUCH a better job. We have one fan that to listen to him, he can coach, block, hit, run, throw, catch, tackle, punt and kick better than anyone out there. :mad: :mad:

we had this old fart behind us, all he ever did was criticize everything and everyone - it got so bad we moved our season tix this year

KTJ
07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I even stand up for basketball games.

Emerson1
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
we had this old fart behind us, all he ever did was criticize everything and everyone - it got so bad we moved our season tix this year
Well the people in front of us only sat there once after your other son critisized the halftime show.

DU_stud04
07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
i dont mind people standing up, i love to stand up during the game. it is usually the student section that stands the entire game and they almost always get it the same location. usual fans know this and if they do not want to be bothered by people who are standing....simple sit where you know they arent

other than that, both sides can come to an agreement if necisary.

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Standing up is the best way to go.

Old Green
07-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Ha... nah, I pay, but the fence is better, plus Old Green's down there so we usually talk about what's going on and make bets on which cheerleader will fall first and how many it'll take to pick her up etc... (jk).... and it's quicker to get to the smokin' area... Plus you're closer to the action and youget to hear the great Coach J......... Ask"what happened" because he was coaching:devil: :D

MHSvarsity2007
07-26-2006, 12:57 PM

everybody always sits down at our games. i went to like 4 abilene high games last year and they were all standing and i was like wow. this is madness. the only time we stand up is if something splendid happens.

Originally posted by KTJ
I even stand up for basketball games.

the student section stands the whole time during basketball games....most of the time.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
You should've been at our semi-final game last year.
200 airhorns !!! :D

Ummmm......I was there!!:D

Adidas410s
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The only times I have ever confronted another fan about their behavior is when they cuss the players by name and really belittle and abuse them verbally for a bad play. It o.k. to get upset with entire units and coaches, but never, ever is there any justification for a personal attack on a player.

don't sit in the Graham stands then. There is one guy there that absolutely DRIVES ME NUTS!!! I find it embarassing to even be sitting anywhere near the guy...let alone that some would take his CONSTANT negative actions as reflective of others in the town. The sad part is...his wife isn't much better than him! :(

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Then they should become coaches.:D They are it's just on Saturday mornings in the coffee shop ;)

Old Green
07-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Too cheap to buy a ticket ? :D :D :D I like to take in one or Sinton games a year. Sinton66, SintonFan and myself like to stand and watch the games together. I think every school has fans like us who like to stand at the fence:)

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I like to take in one or Sinton games a year. Sinton66, SintonFan and myself like to stand and watch the games together. I think every school has fans like us who like to stand at the fence:)

Yeah, they all do. I was just pokin' fun. I knew he'd be a good
sport. :D

Old Green
07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, they all do. I was just pokin' fun. I knew he'd be a good
sport. :D That we are:D :D

pirate4state
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM

I'll take a fan standing up cheering for his or her team over these goof balls any day. I thought this is what the coaches want to hear? Some feedback. ;) :D :D :D

44INAROW
07-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Plus you're closer to the action and youget to hear the great Coach J......... Ask"what happened" because he was coaching:devil: :D

I am curious - who is coach J?

FEEDBACK ROFL P4S.. good one

maroonpirate04
07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
It's great when fans are standing up especially when the game is intense and exciting to see who's gonna win the final battle of the night. It also shows school spirit and the love for your team or town.

Adidas410s
07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
It's great when fans are standing up especially when the game is intense and exciting to see who's gonna win the final battle of the night. It also shows school spirit and the love for your team or town.

whoa...this almost sounds like Phil has a 3rd name to post under! ;)

injuredinmelee
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
everybody always sits down at our games. i went to like 4 abilene high games last year and they were all standing and i was like wow. this is madness. the only time we stand up is if something splendid happens.

the student section stands the whole time during basketball games....most of the time.

so you mean you dont stand much at Merkel games?

injuredinmelee
07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I dont do well with the guys with airhorns.

DaHop72
07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I dont do well with the guys with airhorns. And you politely ask them not to blow them?:evillaugh :evillaugh

Bull's-eye
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
If you don't like fans standing, then don't go to an Aggie home game. They have a tradition of standing during the game.

GetRDoneStangs
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
If you don't like fans standing, then don't go to an Aggie home game. They have a tradition of standing during the game.

I am beginning to think KTJ really likes the Ags!!!:D :D :D :D

GetRDoneStangs
07-26-2006, 05:58 PM
We have fans that have reserved tickets and still stand at the fence.

Lots of folks do the same at The Bowl, we joke the best seat in the house is standing at the top on the fence! I have'nt set in my seats in years.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 06:04 PM
That's exactly were I stand. You can see the whole play develop
better. My boss is always giving me his season tickets which are
smack on the 50 yard line about 7-10 rows down from the press
box and I would prefer the view from the fence/railing. :D

STANG RED
07-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I stand at the fence alot, and follow the the line of scrimmage up and down the fence. On a good night, I'll get in a good 1000 yds. of walking or better.
When I'm actually at my seat, I like to sit, and wish everyone in front of me would. But thats only for maybe a quarter of most games anyway.

LHMom
07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
As LHPM can vouch for - I have not sat down at all for 5 years of LH varsity games, except at half-time, and when an injured player was on the field. (OK - and for a couple of minutes when I first learned that my son tore his ACL.) And as she (LHPM) stated above, we pretty much had a "seating chart" so those around us knew what to expect. If anyone ever did sit down behind us before the game, we warned them politely that we would be standing the entire game, so that they had the opportunity to select different seats.

On a related note, at the first home game of last year, many of our spirited senior class were standing on the front row and some folks complained. This was their way of showing their spirit. So they had professional signs made that they put at the end of the row that said, "This section will be standing." and purple "senior" shirts made that on the back said, "If you can't see.... STAND UP!"

Txbroadcaster
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I will add a twist to this topic, I like to..no I NEED to Stand when I broadcast a football game. I will sometimes sit during a blow-out or something like that, but for me to get into the game, and really be apart of it I have to be standing with my notes in front of me.

Sometimes that can get tough such as doing 6 games in one weekend and such. But IMO easier to get excited uring a play if I am standing, compared to if I am sitting

big daddy russ
07-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I don't know if it's already been brought up, but that's what I love about A&M games. They throw down if you're sitting during the game.

You stand the entire first half, halftime while the band's playing, then you get a 10- or 15-minute break, then you stand throughout the second half.

Some people may complain about it, but that's what I love about HS and college football. The passion, the tradition, all the emotion rolled up into three hours. If you don't like that, go watch a Cowboys or Texans game.

I was at the SMU game last year with a bunch of friends when some Mustang fans behind us started complaining about how everyone had been standing through three quarters. My buddy Eric finally got tired of hearing them bellyache, turned around and told them, "You got the wrong tickets to the wrong game."

When that kid behind us told Eric that the students at SMU had the good sense to sit down, Eric just shook his head and told them, "We don't encourage pansies here at Kyle Field." He then pointed at me and told them, "That guy broke his foot last weekend. He doesn't have medical insurance, so he hasn't seen a doctor and doesnt' have a cast on it. If he's still standing, you can do the same. If you don't like it, you're welcome to leave."

Now I'm a big SMU fan, but that may have been one of the greatest things I've ever heard. It's also one of the reasons I've grown so fond of Kyle.

htowntransplant
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
i have a bad experience with standing up during a sporting event. recently, my fiancee and I went to the astros game and an astro doubled or something and we got up to cheer, and some old lady behind me yelled out towards us "SIT DOWN!!" i was fuming!! first off, what do u expect when u go to a sporting event? if it was the postseason, i wouldnt sit down at all.. thats just me...sorry if i offend anyone. it is my right to cheer as i so please. its not like the lady even asked us nicely....she yelled it out with an attitude. :mad:

sinton66
07-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Anybody stands up in front of me (at the fence), I'll just climb them.:D

Chris Hart
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I have reserved tickets for my family at the 50 yd line, and I generally stand during every play. I do take breaks between plays, but I'm usually up again before the next play begins unless one of the little ones is getting restless. I've had my same tickets longer than anyone near by where we sit, so i won't have any problem telling them that I've been there long enough to stand through the entirity if I see fit:D

injuredinmelee
07-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
And you politely ask them not to blow them?:evillaugh :evillaugh

I cut a guys hose to his big horn once. I asked him not to blow it again. He did.

MHSvarsity2007
07-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
so you mean you dont stand much at Merkel games?

:rolleyes: correct.