PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio will host both 5A Texas Football Titles games...

SintonFan
07-26-2006, 03:36 AM
at the Alamodome in '06 and '07.
This is what the UIL will be expected to announce later today.:cool:
Now let 3A follow suit and I'll be in heaven.;)

3afan
07-26-2006, 05:24 AM
good idea for TV, good idea for local fans - potentially bad idea for one or both teams & their fans IMO ... will be interesting to see how the logistics work out

wedo
07-26-2006, 07:51 AM
IMO it would work out better and be a little more fair if they rotate the site like the BCS was doing it withe their NC game! After 07 they should have it at Texas Statium and after that maybe houston!!!

Phil C
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
You need it as close to South Texas as you can because of the weather considerations. Odds of good weather increase more in South Texas. 3A would be good if they could have it in Kingsville at Javalina Stadium.

Maroon87
07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
That's cool. I just wish it were outdoors though. Football is meant to be played in the elements.

3afan
07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You need it as close to South Texas as you can because of the weather considerations. Odds of good weather increase more in South Texas. 3A would be good if they could have it in Kingsville at Javalina Stadium.

thats too far south - what if one of the 3A title games was Perryton (711 miles) & Carthage (440 miles) - thats nuts

Phil C
07-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
thats too far south - what if one of the 3A title games was Perryton (711 miles) & Carthage (440 miles) - thats nuts

True but the odds of no snow and good weather in South Texas outweighs the bad. I remember in the early 60s George West had to play a state championship game in Lubbock (I think) in a blizzard.

Phil C
07-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Now if you can get a dome stadium up north then maybe

3afan
07-26-2006, 08:35 AM
thats easy for fans to say - they dont have to deal with the logistics of taking a team, band, etc. 500+ miles

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 08:40 AM

Kingsville? No.

San Marcos - Bobcat Stadium - yes. San Antonio - Alamo Stadium - yes. Houston - Robertson Stadium - yes. Dallas - Ford Stadium - yes.

My guidelines for selecting stadiums for state championship games:

5A - Large Stadium, 65,000+. Must be deemed in good condition (no Cotton Bowl or Rice Stadium). Must be in a major population center (no Kyle Field).
4A - Mid-sized to large stadiums, 30,000+. No Amon Carter Stadium unless they renovate it. Can be in a large population center, but a mid-sized city is preferred. PREFERRED STADIUMS: Kyle Field, Jones AT&T Stadium, Floyd Casey Stadium, the new UNT stadium if they ever build it. Other stadiums that could be used: Ford Stadium, Alamodome, Reliant Stadium, Texas Stadium / Dallas Cowboys Park, Robertson Stadium, DKR.
2A and 3A - small-to-mid-sized stadiums, 15,000-65,000. No Amon Carter unless they renovate it. PREFERRED STADIUMS: Jones AT&T Stadium, Floyd Casey Stadium, Ford Stadium, Bobcat Stadium, Robertson Stadium, Pizza Hut Park, the new UNT stadium if they ever build it, Alamo Stadium for some history.
1A & Six-Man - any of the 10,000-25,000 seat stadiums in Texas.

3afan
07-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Kingsville? No.

San Marcos - Bobcat Stadium - yes. San Antonio - Alamo Stadium - yes. Houston - Robertson Stadium - yes. Dallas - Ford Stadium - yes.

5A - Large Stadium, 65,000+. Must be deemed in good condition (no Cotton Bowl or Rice Stadium). Must be in a major population center (no Kyle Field).
4A - Mid-sized to large stadiums, 30,000+. No Amon Carter Stadium unless they renovate it. Can be in a large population center, but a mid-sized city is preferred. PREFERRED STADIUMS: Kyle Field, Jones AT&T Stadium, Floyd Casey Stadium, the new UNT stadium if they ever build it. Other stadiums that could be used: Ford Stadium, Alamodome, Reliant Stadium, Texas Stadium / Dallas Cowboys Park, Robertson Stadium, DKR.
2A and 3A - small-to-mid-sized stadiums, 15,000-65,000. No Amon Carter unless they renovate it. PREFERRED STADIUMS: Jones AT&T Stadium, Floyd Casey Stadium, Ford Stadium, Bobcat Stadium, Robertson Stadium, Pizza Hut Park, the new UNT stadium if they ever build it, Alamo Stadium for some history.

I have yet to hear a good reason as to why the current system (let the teams pick) needed to be changed - except for the TV part. put some guidelines in place for stadium capacity (so the HP/Marshall thing dont happen again) and the system works fine

IMO

kepdawg
07-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Kingsville? No.

Is there a reason you think 5A needs 35,000+ more seats than 4A?

wedo
07-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's cool. I just wish it were outdoors though. Football is meant to be played in the elements.

Thats true b/c i hate watching the Super Bowl when its in a dome on turf!!!

wedo
07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
to me the rotation still seems better!!! Let them play in dallas, who care if its snows!!! If your a true champion you can win no mattter what!!!

DU_stud04
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Now if you can get a dome stadium up north then maybe

hey, were building one,.....texas stadium is partially a dome......haha

3afan
07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg

30K is plenty big enough for 5A, especially if neither team is local or even close

Adidas410s
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
True but the odds of no snow and good weather in South Texas outweighs the bad. I remember in the early 60s George West had to play a state championship game in Lubbock (I think) in a blizzard.

since when did good weather become a requirement for the high school playoffs??? If it's cold...you'll play. If it's snowing...you'll play. If it's raining...you'll play. If it's 65 and a clear sky...you'll play.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:04 AM

Yes. 5As are typically located in or near a major city. When these teams go to the playoffs, people from around their area come and watch. 4As are usually located in outlying areas of smaller cities. They don't have as large of a base to draw fans from.

I have yet to hear a good reason as to why the current system (let the teams pick) needed to be changed - except for the TV part. put some guidelines in place for stadium capacity (so the HP/Marshall thing dont happen again) and the system works fine

Ok, you're an El Paso team. You are playing a Houston team in the state finals. You won the coin flip. Where are you going to choose to play? The Houston team isn't going to like that drive to El Paso one bit.

3afan
07-26-2006, 09:05 AM
actually - around 2000 I think there was a state title game, 1A I think, played in Abilene, moved from Friday night to Saturday afternoon cause the temp got down into the teens ..... but thats an extreme case --- agree that POSSIBLE weather should not be a factor in determining sites

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
30K is plenty big enough for 5A, especially if neither team is local or even close

For 4A, yes I agree. For 5A, I want the ability to put more fans in than just the fans from the school. These are schools that have home sides for 7,000 fans they fill every game in the regular season. My estimate of the typical 5A is that there are 12,500 community fans (from the school boundaries) and 2,500 students per school. That fills up a 30,000 seat stadium without room for people from the area around the school or for casual football fans in the area the game will be played.

Bullaholic
07-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I think that is great---after all, the folks in the southern part of the state don't get to see the really good teams from the north play very often. ;) :D

kepdawg
07-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Yes. 5As are typically located in or near a major city. When these teams go to the playoffs, people from around their area come and watch. 4As are usually located in outlying areas of smaller cities. They don't have as large of a base to draw fans from.

I don't have time to elaborate (I will hopefully remember to do so after work), but that preimse is flawed.

3afan
07-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Ok, you're an El Paso team. You are playing a Houston team in the state finals. You won the coin flip. Where are you going to choose to play? The Houston team isn't going to like that drive to El Paso one bit.

OK, that could happen if a neutral site could not be agreed upon ... but what if the pre-determined site was Houston? at least with the flip both teams had a chance ............... by the way when the flip is involved the teams have to have their home site determined prior to the flip

certainly the current system is not perfect (see HP/Marshall) ....... but IMO if you set stadium guidelines then its fine

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:12 AM
OK, that could happen if a neutral site could not be agreed upon ... but what if the pre-determined site was Houston? at least with the flip both teams had a chance ............... by the way when the flip is involved the teams have to have their home site determined prior to the flip

certainly the current system is not perfect (see HP/Marshall) ....... but IMO if you set stadium guidelines then its fine

I agree with you, just trying to play Devil's advocate :D

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I don't have time to elaborate (I will hopefully remember to do so after work), but that preimse is flawed.

Maybe that's not how it works around the state, but that's certainly how it works in South Texas.

3afan
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
For 4A, yes I agree. For 5A, I want the ability to put more fans in than just the fans from the school. These are schools that have home sides for 7,000 fans they fill every game in the regular season. My estimate of the typical 5A is that there are 12,500 community fans (from the school boundaries) and 2,500 students per school. That fills up a 30,000 seat stadium without room for people from the area around the school or for casual football fans in the area the game will be played.

you are way overestimating fans IMO - half the sutdents in schools dont care about the football team, or sports .... and 12.5K "community fans" is also high ... maybe not for the elite programs .... just look at the attendance at the past state title games and you'll see :cool:

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:20 AM
you are way overestimating fans IMO - half the sutdents in schools dont care about the football team, or sports .... and 12.5K "community fans" is also high ... maybe not for the elite programs .... just look at the attendance at the past state title games and you'll see :cool:

Where can I find these attendance numbers?
What types of programs go to the state championship games (SLC, Katy, Lufkin) if they aren't "elite programs?"
We went to the state championship this year (in 4A). I know a lot of people in high school right now who had never been to a football game in their life, because they hate it. But they made the trip (to the ridiculously small stadium in Round Rock) to support their classmates. State championship games are magical. People you never thought you'd see at a game are there.

BTW, our side in RRISD stadium seated 5,500. We had to cease ticket sales at 7,500. And we're a 4A from Corpus.

Adidas410s
07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
actually - around 2000 I think there was a state title game, 1A I think, played in Abilene, moved from Friday night to Saturday afternoon cause the temp got down into the teens ..... but thats an extreme case --- agree that POSSIBLE weather should not be a factor in determining sites

they did play the 2000 Six Man state title game at Wylie and I do remember it was on a Saturday afternoon. That was a bitterly cold year too. When we played Gatesville the week before in the D1 state title game, it was somewhere around 10 degrees at kickoff with a nice breeze out of the north. BRRRRRRRR....

KTJ
07-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Kingsville? No.

I think you're really over-estimating the amount of people who watch these games.

When Aldine Eisenhower and Midland Lee played at DKR, which seats over 82,000, that place was no where close to being full. No where close.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I think you're really over-estimating the amount of people who watch these games.

When Aldine Eisenhower and Midland Lee played at DKR, which seats over 82,000, that place was no where close to being full. No where close.

I don't expect DKR to be full...I expect it to have PLENTY of room. I don't expect the Alamodome to be full even. But I want people to not have to stand on a railing all game to be able to watch (and if you say it doesn't happen, I'll give you examples of games where it did)

KTJ
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't expect DKR to be full...I expect it to have PLENTY of room. I don't expect the Alamodome to be full even. But I want people to not have to stand on a railing all game to be able to watch (and if you say it doesn't happen, I'll give you examples of games where it did)

I also think you're underestimating the Cotton Bowl. If large colleges/universities can play there, then so can a high school team.

I'm not saying I don't believe you about being squished at a game. I'm just saying I think you're numbers are a bit skewed.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I also think you're underestimating the Cotton Bowl. If large colleges/universities can play there, then so can a high school team.

Cotton Bowl, I've been there, done that, and it's in dire need of renovations. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a game there. But the only reason why colleges play there is because of the tradition. HS Football doesn't really have a tradition at the Cotton Bowl. Besides, why would we choose the Cotton Bowl over Texas Stadium, Dallas Cowboys Park, or for smaller schools, Ford Stadium?

Phil C
07-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Better yet play in McAllen down in the valley. :)

Emerson1
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
I hope a team from El Paso and Amarilla make it to state just so this stupid idea will get shot down.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I hope a team from El Paso and Amarilla make it to state just so this stupid idea will get shot down.

Can't happen, they are both Region 1.

KTJ
07-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Cotton Bowl, I've been there, done that, and it's in dire need of renovations. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a game there. But the only reason why colleges play there is because of the tradition. HS Football doesn't really have a tradition at the Cotton Bowl. Besides, why would we choose the Cotton Bowl over Texas Stadium, Dallas Cowboys Park, or for smaller schools, Ford Stadium?

You're the one that brought the idea of the Cotton Bowl up as you shot it down immediately in your presentation. LOL! :D

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
You're the one that brought the idea of the Cotton Bowl up as you shot it down immediately in your presentation. LOL! :D

Yep I did...because it's a dump. A dump with college tradition, I'll give you that, but it's also a dump with NO high school tradition. If they would renovate it, it could host games as well.

Buccaneer
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
AUSTIN — The Alamodome in San Antonio will be the site for state football championship games for Class 5A Divisions I and II, the University Interscholastic League announced Wednesday.

The decision is part of a two-year trial approved by the UIL’s Legislative Council in June. The 5A championship game site will be in place for the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

The 5A Division I and II state title games will be played on the same day, on Dec. 23. In the past, the games were played on different weekends.

The UIL, the governing body for Texas public school athletics, had said it was looking to hold the games in a major metropolitan area such as Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. The games will be televised by Fox Sports Net Southwest.

Classes 1A through 4A will continue using a site agreed to by the championship game teams and selected the week before the games.

3afan
Originally posted by Emerson1

that specific example cant happen but there are dozens of like example at all regional borders

Cameron Crazy
SLC will be in the title game

KTJ
07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
El Paso Montwood vs Brownsville Pace

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
El Paso Montwood vs Brownsville Pace Either that one or SLC vs Lufkin.

3afan
07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Either that one or SLC vs Lufkin.

SLC/Lufkin would be a semifinal since SLC is RI and Luf is RII :D

District303aPastPlayer
07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
The 5A Division I and II state title games will be played on the same day, on Dec. 23. In the past, the games were played on different weekends.

someone guess as to how they are going to pull that one off

3afan
07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
someone guess as to how they are going to pull that one off

DI and DII brackets are the same now - so they end on the same week. so they can do one game at 2pm, clear the stadium and do the other at 7pm

District303aPastPlayer
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
DI and DII brackets are the same now - so they end on the same week.

oh yeah... they have what... 132 teams in the playoffs now?

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
oh yeah... they have what... 132 teams in the playoffs now?

128. Which is like 64 too many. I would only take two teams to the playoffs per district.

pirate4state
07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Cool! San Antonio is the place to be Dec. 23rd?