PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like Texas high school football?

kepdawg
07-25-2006, 11:40 PM
I know it seems like a simple question, but I am curious about your answers.

Why do you like Texas high school football?

sahen
07-25-2006, 11:46 PM
because we can watch the best play before they become famous....:)

Bullaholic
07-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Because the kids who play HS football are still "our kids from our town" and they are out there giving all they have got just for their town, families, coaches, school, and themselves for nothing but the honor of participating and trying to do well. They aren't prima-donna millionaires full of themselves---they're just kids, plain and simple.

CalallenWildcat
07-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I posted a poem on here a few weeks ago called "Friday Nights" - it pretty much sums up why I like Texas HS Football

BJG40
07-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Excerpts from the #1 speech by Vince Lombardi....

"Every time a football player goes to ply his trade he's got to play from the ground up — from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, you've got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he's never going to come off the field second.

"Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization — an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win — to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.

"It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. That's why they are there — to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules — but to win.

"And in truth, I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didn't appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat.

"I don't say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle — victorious."

I cant say it any better than that and I believe that high school ball, played in our great state of Texas, is what Lombardi is speaking of in its purest form.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Friday Nights by CalallenWildcat

It starts with the lights, oh so bright and oh so high above the
green grass, painted up to be a gridiron, the shrine of towns
across the state, where fans come out, dressed for the weather,
in school colors, faces painted, ready to cheer loudly for their
children playing for the pride of the school and town, trying their hardest
to beat their rival, or whoever they may be playing that night, so
the town can have bragging rights for another year, until the
lights go up again, above the green grass, shining like a beacon
letting everyone in town know that it is once again a football night.
So it is in Texas, where each fall teenagers play to make their town proud.
So it is in Texas, where each fall entire communities pack stadiums on Fridays.
So it is in Texas, where high school football is not just a way of life, it's
THE WAY OF LIFE!

GreenMonster
07-26-2006, 12:16 AM
because it's the SHIZZLE!

big daddy russ
07-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I go for the fajitas.

Old Tiger
07-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Booster Club Burgers
Cool Stadiums
And It's just simply the best

hawkfan
07-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Because it keeps me employed

eagles_victory
07-26-2006, 12:57 AM
its not one thing its hard to describe its just everything its the whole game when it comes together its such a beautiful game the passion just cannot be matched. Its a place you can go and forget about your problems for 3 hours.

SintonFan
07-26-2006, 03:23 AM
TEXAS HS Football is simply the purest form of the sport. It is the most dynamic on all levels. It is the funnest to watch. You get to see how the hometown boys work pays off. Then after the season(or game) is over, you still are friends with co-workers, family, and ex-neighbors and can have a big laugh or serious conversation on how it all went without feeling bad about who you rooted for.
Texas HS Football is rooted in our passion as a state, town and people.:cool:

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Because as a coach's kid, it's what I was raised on. Because as an adult, I forgot just what fun it was to watch until 1997, when my oldest son stepped onto the field for his first 7th grade game. Because as a mom, I watched that same son, who was shy and not so coordinated, turn into a self-confident young man, full of heart and determination, and watched him learn to give beyond his God-given talent in all aspects. Because my heart broke when he and his teammates were shattered after losing in the playoffs. Because this season I have the opportunity to watch my 7th grader play his first "real" game and my sophomore play his first varsity game. Because of the sweat and determination that each football player across the state puts forth to get ready for the Friday Night Lights.

:weeping: :weeping: :weeping: And because they grow up so quickly.

CenTexSports
07-26-2006, 07:33 AM
For me the game is secondary.

1) Hundreds (or more) of friends, family and strangers getting together to support their kids, school, and town with an excitement and anticipation that you can feel.
2) The playing of the National Anthem and school song. I don't care how many games you go to but if you don't get chill bumps when the National Anthem plays, there is something wrong with you.
3) The efforts of the kids.

maestro
07-26-2006, 07:55 AM
community passion.....

total community pride and participation.

Maroon87
07-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Texas HS football for me is distilled in one experience I had a couple of years ago while driving from Houston to CC on a Friday evening in early September. I'm on 59 southbound, and as I go through Rosenberg, I see the football stadium lights were on. Later, the same thing in El Campo, then Ganado, Edna, Victoria...in Refugio you drive within a half mile of the stadium and sure enough, lights.

I had goosebumps the size of Mt. Everest.

I just wanted to tackle somebody...:)

Tiger Baseball
07-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Friday Nights by CalallenWildcat

It starts with the lights, oh so bright and oh so high above the
green grass, painted up to be a gridiron, the shrine of towns
across the state, where fans come out, dressed for the weather,
in school colors, faces painted, ready to cheer loudly for their
children playing for the pride of the school and town, trying their hardest
to beat their rival, or whoever they may be playing that night, so
the town can have bragging rights for another year, until the
lights go up again, above the green grass, shining like a beacon
letting everyone in town know that it is once again a football night.
So it is in Texas, where each fall teenagers play to make their town proud.
So it is in Texas, where each fall entire communities pack stadiums on Fridays.
So it is in Texas, where high school football is not just a way of life, it's
THE WAY OF LIFE!

:clap: :clap: Couldn't have been said any better!

sww-bull52
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I can always tell it's the season when we take our first road trip and on almost every highway or Farm/Market road the traffic is heavier than usual and almost every vehicle has the windows painted or at least window decals.

The morning of the first game I always wake up with butterflies the size of condors and I am totally useless at work.

STANG RED
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
What I like best, is watching skinney little boys, working so hard to learn and play the game, and watching them develop into fine young men, as they develop through the years. There is always several little fellas out of every 7th grade class, that you would never expect to really do much athletically, that end up being big studs, by the time they get to be seniors.
I love how Texas High School football, unites entire communities in a common cause.
I love the enthusiasum of the players, students, and parents.
I love the smell of overpriced nachos and hotdogs, at the stadium.
I love all the sounds and sights that you will only see and hear at a high school football game in Texas.

tigerpride_08
07-26-2006, 10:34 AM
personally, i like high school football then college and NFL football...

sww-bull52
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
I love the splitting headache I have by the fourth quarter and the way I can barely speak above a whisper the next day.
I love the way my shoes stick to the stands after my wife gets excited and spills her Coke or coffee all over the place. I love it when the people behind us ask us to sit down because they can't see over us people who stand up the whole game. I love it when someone sits in my season ticket seat and is gone by the end of the first quarter because my group is so rowdy.

Don't get me wrong. I DO love these things and can't wait till I can experience them again.

Ranger Mom
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I just like to yell and scream and not even have to be mad first!!:D

44INAROW
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
What I like best, is watching skinney little boys, working so hard to learn and play the game, and watching them develop into fine young men, as they develop through the years. There is always several little fellas out of every 7th grade class, that you would never expect to really do much athletically, that end up being big studs, by the time they get to be seniors.
I love how Texas High School football, unites entire communities in a common cause.
I love the enthusiasum of the players, students, and parents.
I love the smell of overpriced nachos and hotdogs, at the stadium.
I love all the sounds and sights that you will only see and hear at a high school football game in Texas.

DITTO X 2

garageoffice
07-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I love the effort, the struggle, the coordinated skills, the ups, the downs, the big plays, the little details, the whistles, the crowd, the kids, the parents, the players, the fans, the band, the cheerleaders, the student body, the teachers, the administrators, the coaches, the stadiums, the caravans, THE GAME!

What's not to love?

sww-bull52
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I love the effort, the struggle, the coordinated skills, the ups, the downs, the big plays, the little details, the whistles, the crowd, the kids, the parents, the players, the fans, the band, the cheerleaders, the student body, the teachers, the administrators, the coaches, the stadiums, the caravans, THE GAME!

What's not to love?

AMEN

yoemenkracker30
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
because when you're in high school....you're playing for your school, your pride, and your community....most people only have this one shot...not everybody goes to play college ball so they leave it all on the field

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh, one more reason.....I get to ring my cowbells! :D

LHMom
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
My son wrote a couple of GREAT poems about high school football, one of which was published in his senior yearbook. (But I'd be in real trouble if I posted them here.)

There are so many behind the scenes stories, struggles and triumphs. Everyone is in alignment - same goals.

Rituals, road trips, bonds, unity...

Oh - and WINNING is the best! :)

sinton66
07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Because in high school, the participants still play for the love of the game, pride, committment, and fellowship, NOT bazillions of dollars. It's the game of football in its' absolute purest form.

STANG RED
07-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Why are there 3 times as many posts on the "What do you hate about high school football" string, as there are on this one?
Does that mean that people like to complain 3 times more than not?:thinking: Interesting.............

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Why are there 3 times as many posts on the "What do you hate about high school football" string, as there are on this one?
Does that mean that people like to complain 3 times more than not?:thinking: Interesting.............

Ha, I was just thinking the exact same thing!

kepdawg
07-26-2006, 08:12 PM

Maybe a lot of the people here don't actually like the game!

sww-bull52
07-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Maybe a lot of the people here don't actually like the game!

NO WAY!!!! :doh:

Ranger Mom
07-26-2006, 08:41 PM

In my case, that is the thread that Snydertigersrul is spouting off in!!:D

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
For me, it's because I spent 5 minutes or so on my "why I like" post. My "gripe" was pretty easy to come up with....but when someone had another gripe, it reminded me of one more I had. ;)

Gobbla2001
07-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I used to like the West Oso drill team...

Ranger Mom
07-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I used to like the West Oso drill team...

Are those the skanks that I watched??

formermbcouns
07-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I like the way it brings small towns and communities together.

piratebg
07-27-2006, 02:11 AM
For me, I love the opening kickoff, at least the atmosphere that is created. The teams take the field and get in their positions. The kicker gets the ball and places it on the tee. Fans from both sides stand up and the noise begins. The drum roll starts(from the Sinton HS Band) and the stage is set. The kicker gets his running start with 10 of his teammates right behind him. The kick goes up, the music starts, and the game is on......Texas High School Football Rocks!!!