PDA

View Full Version : kids *%&#*

luvhoops34
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Since last semester, I have been after my daughter to go see her counsler and find out exactly how many more hours and what classes she needs to graduate. She changed majors in the middle of her sophmore year. To make a long story short, she has to take speech over because they won't accept the class she took and until she takes it and one or two other classes this fall (she is limited to 10 hours) she can't take any of her upper class stuff.

So, it's going to be at least December '07 before she graduates and that's if she does summer I & II. I

I guess I'm just annoyed because I feel she should have been more responsible about making sure she was on the right track for her major. I know it's her life, but I've invested a lot of time, effort and $$$ into getting her to this point. And I intend to see it through to the end.

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
all students do that man, it does suck though, i didn't do it and cost my mother a lot of money. NOW, i'm paying for school

pirate44
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
you have every right to be upset. sorry bout the whole thing

SWMustang
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
How old is your daughter? Is there any way to sit down with her and outline a timetable for when she will be done or when you will quit paying? As it drags on, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask her to help shoulder some of the expense... or maybe she does already.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I feel your pain, 34. I hope you're not looking for it to get better in the next month or so. ;) Mine's 21. I told him the other day that I felt like he was too old for me to tell him what to do. His response was to sheepishly look at me and say that he wasn't. At least I taught him something. :D

LHMom
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
UGH> College! My son is home for a semester to make money to pay me back for a wasted semester. He'll go back in January. Both my kids have a 5 year limit that I will pay for college. If they are not done in 5 years, they will be responsible for the rest.

SWMustang
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
UGH> College! My son is home for a semester to make money to pay me back for a wasted semester. He'll go back in January. Both my kids have a 5 year limit that I will pay for college. If they are not done in 5 years, they will be responsible for the rest.

Mine aren't that old yet, but I think that's a wonderful idea. It's good to let them know upfront what you will provide - and paying for their education is quite generous in my book.

Emerson1
07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by LHMom

Even if they are getting an 8 year medical degree?

SWMustang
07-25-2006, 05:22 PM
The people I've known that went to med school did so on loans and grants - mostly loans. I think most new docs come out heavily indebted.

Emerson1
07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Thats why you charge $115 to take blood pressure.

luvhoops34
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
My daughter initally went to college on a volleyball scholarship. But at that time, they only played for two years. Since then, I have paid some and the rest she has paid herself or gotten grants. But I have footed a lot of the spending money and paid for extras.

I'm just annoyed because I WANT IT TO BE OVER!!!

She has a lot on her plate right now with a new baby, and she is getting married in three weeks. But those were her choices, not mine. I"m happy about the baby, but the timing is chitty. And of course her main focus right now is the baby, which is as it should be.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, when she told she would finish in May of '07, I knew it wouldn't happen. It's just kind of hard when the cold hard truth jumps up there and slaps you in the face.

I just want her to get her degree so she can get a good job and not have to depend on anybody.

GreenMonster
07-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Dude, if she is a student at Midwestern State in Wichita Falls don't blame her. It's probably her adviser's fault. I had the WORST advisers at MSU. My last semester I ended up taking 24 hours of class to be able to graduate. ( I had no choice, they were adding 3 more classes to my degree plan if I didn't finish right then.) I took classes I didn't need and had 2 sophmore level classes left to take right at the end because I had been told that they weren't necessary. I even had one class that I showed up for on the first day and was informemd by the Prof that I couldn't be in his class due to some BS. That one steamed me pretty good because I had been signed off by my adviser, my department head, the head of that particular department, and the Dean to get into the stupid class. The prof also informed me that it was still my responsibility to "DROP" the class or it would be registered as an "F" on my transcript. This took another act of Congress because everyone that had signed off on me the first time had to sign off for me to be able to drop for some reason. I don't know about every school out there but I know that at MSU the main goal was to get as much $$ out of the student possible before giving them a degree. No one had a clue about what was required from any department but their own and most didn't know what their own department required. Total BS and I'm glad it's over with.