PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone!

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
HOW ABOUT THAT FLOYD LANDIS WINNING THE 2006 TOUR DE FRANCE!! BEST TOUR DE FRANCE WE EVER HAD!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HOW ABOUT THAT FLOYD LANDIS WINNING THE 2006 TOUR DE FRANCE!! BEST TOUR DE FRANCE WE EVER HAD!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Your religous beliefs don't allow you to have a TV. But, you get on
national TV and give an interview to ESPN (the mom)? :thinking:

STANG RED
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Amazing comeback!!! Wasnt he like 8 1/2+ minutes back with only 2 stages to go? I think he shocked everyone in the race.

Old Dog
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
How long before the French start whining openly. Lance retires and France really thought they had a shot.................Haw, Haw, Haw.......

pirate44
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
great news Phil_C. the french couldnt beat a testicular cancer survivor or a guy with a bad hip. next year we'll have to send over a guy on crutches. or maybe a blind guy.

Sweetwater Red
07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
great news Phil_C. the french couldnt beat a testicular cancer survivor or a guy with a bad hip. next year we'll have to send over a guy on crutches. or maybe a blind guy.

Gotta keep it somewhat competitive...:D .

Bullaholic
07-25-2006, 04:22 PM

Busted! P44.....you saw Leno's monologue last night. :D

Congrats for another proud American win!

pirate44
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Busted! P44.....you saw Leno's monologue last night. :D

Congrats for another proud American win!
are you kidding. i havent stayed up past 10:00 in years. i stole the crutch joke off the Jim Lago morning show here in Corpus. i threw in the blind thing to prevent myself from the plagerizing thing:D

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Amazing comeback!!! Wasnt he like 8 1/2+ minutes back with only 2 stages to go? I think he shocked everyone in the race.

Right you are Stang! In the 16th stage last Wednesday he had a ten second lead but had a bad race and got 8 minutes behind and the experts wrote him off because they didn't think he could overcome that deficit. But there was still another mountain stage 17 the next day and he went on the attack early and the other riders didn't think he could keep up the pace. They were wrong and he won the stage that day and got within 30 seconds of the leader. Knowing he was better in the time trials on Saturday the experts were right in that he was able to pull off the win on Saturday.
As a note of interest Floyd won by 57 seconds over second place and 1'29" over third place. This is a very close race. It would be like three NFL teams fighting for the final wild card playoff spot on the last day of the season and the team winning it by getting a field goal and winning in overtime.

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
How long before the French start whining openly. Lance retires and France really thought they had a shot.................Haw, Haw, Haw.......

:) But I think the French seem to like Floyd better than they did Lance.

pirate44
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
let him win a few more and see how their attitude changes

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:39 PM

44 Our first American winner of the Tour de France was Greg LeMond in 1986. After his big victory he was almost killed in a hunting accident and it took him two years to recover. He got back to the Tour in 1989 and won it by the closest margin ever - 8 seconds. He won the tour again in 1990.

STANG RED
07-25-2006, 04:40 PM

If youll remember, they liked Lance the first couple of times also. They didnt really begin turning on him till his last 2 or 3 wins.

pirate44
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
44 Our first American winner of the Tour de France was Greg LeMond in 1986. After his big victory he was almost killed in a hunting accident and it took him two years to recover. He got back to the Tour in 1989 and won it by the closest margin ever - 8 seconds. He won the tour again in 1990.
are these 3 americans the only time the US has been dominant in this sport?

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes even though there have been others who have done well. But these are the three ones who dominated.
Hopefully Floyd will come back from his hip operation and do good next year. Another American Levi Leipheimer has just signed with the Discovery Channel (Lance's old team) and could be a bigger factor with that support. We will see.

Phil C
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
An American has won the Tour de France 11 times in the past 21 years including the last 8 in a row.

pirate44
07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
An American has won the Tour de France 11 times in the past 21 years including the last 8 in a row.
how many of those were french?

could you imagine the United States hosting a sporting event and letting another country dominate like that? i dont think so. at least i hope not.

oh yeah, i totally forgot about the darn marathons :doh:

Phil C
07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
how many of those were french?

could you imagine the United States hosting a sporting event and letting another country dominate like that? i dont think so. at least i hope not.

oh yeah, i totally forgot about the darn marathons :doh:

The last time a Frenchman won it was in 1985 and his name was Bernard Hinault. Thus it has been a long drought for the French.