PDA

View Full Version : ESPN fires Reynolds

Bulldog_12
07-25-2006, 12:41 PM
ESPN reportedly has fired Baseball Tonight analyst Harold Reynolds. No reason for the firing has been given yet. This is disappointing. He was easily the best. To replace him with Phillips is stupid.

Link to story (http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm)

Emerson1
07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Fire Stephen A. Smith

Bulldog_12
07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Fire Stephen A. Smith

I was thinking the same thing.

Reynolds (or anybody for that matter)>>>>>>Stephen A. Smith

CalallenWildcat
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Stephen A. Smith is the WORST.

Reynolds got under my skin sometimes, but I liked him better than the others.

Maroon87
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Bad move by ESPN.

Sweetwater Red
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
ESPN reportedly has fired Baseball Tonight analyst Harold Reynolds. No reason for the firing has been given yet. This is disappointing. He was easily the best. To replace him with Phillips is stupid.

Link to story (http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm)

There's defininitely more to this. Whether it comes out is a
different story.

big daddy russ
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Stephen A. Smith is the WORST.

Reynolds got under my skin sometimes, but I liked him better than the others.
The thing about Reynolds is the same thing with Kruk-- they know the game inside and out. They know the players, they can scout a team or a guy, and they just give great insight.

He always sounded like he'd had one too many shots, but I liked him for the same reasons I liked David Aldridge. It's just too bad that ESPN is turning into Warner Brothers-Bristol instead of being a network dedicated to covering sports as well as possible.

pirate4state
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM

WTH??? :weeping:

3afan
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
will be interesting to find out why

Maroon87
I generally like Kruk except when gets on his high horse about "the sanctity of the game." For Kruk to pull that card is quite a reach.:rolleyes:

I also like Jeff "The Cowboy" Brantley.

Adidas410s

Steve Phillips knows the game. He was the Mets' GM a few years back and is well respected in the baseball world. While he doesn't have quite that comfortable style that you had with Reynolds, he's still a good source of information.

CalallenWildcat
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The thing about Reynolds is the same thing with Kruk-- they know the game inside and out. They know the players, they can scout a team or a guy, and they just give great insight.

He always sounded like he'd had one too many shots, but I liked him for the same reasons I liked David Aldridge. It's just too bad that ESPN is turning into Warner Brothers-Bristol instead of being a network dedicated to covering sports as well as possible.

Agreed. On all counts. I liked Gammons due to the fact that he always knew what personnel moves needed to be made (and were being made) and I hope he comes back. Getting rid of Reynolds is ridiculous.

Bulldog_12
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I saw BBTN the other night when they were discussing the ARod situation and all said that he should be traded except Kruk. He then proceeded to throw a temper-tantrum and get pissy. You could tell there was a little tension between he and Reynolds, so maybe something happened off camera to prompt the firing. I hope Harold punched Kruk then said screw this, Im outta here and dumped a bottle of jack on the desk and lit it on fire. That woulda been cool.:D

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
while that's a little extreme, i don't really like kruk

SWMustang
07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Kruk has really started to look like one of those dinosaurs from that TV show

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/dinosaurs_0012.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/kruk3.jpg

CalallenWildcat
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I'd forgotten about that show. You're right! :D

GreenMonster
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
They should hire Lenny Dykstra to replace HR. Dykstra and Krukie back together would be great to see. No one played the game harder than Lenny Dykstra.

DaHop72
07-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
They should hire Lenny Dykstra to replace HR. Dykstra and Krukie back together would be great to see. No one played the game harder than Lenny Dykstra. Of course, Nails had (cough) a little help with his career.:devil:

eagles_victory
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Of course, Nails had (cough) a little help with his career.:devil: Is it too late to change it to needles and i know a lot of people r gonna be mad they let go HR i know im mad

griff
07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Lenny Dykstra speaks with too much of a lisp. I wouldn't want to hear him on ESPN.

htowntransplant
07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
if espn fires harold reynolds, TNT should fire charles barkley. that is insulting....

speaking of stephen a smith, ask D303aPP..he will tell u i have quite an impersonation of smith.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-25-2006, 03:30 PM
I liked Reynolds on BBTN. Smart guy, knew his stuff. He was a little bit too much of a players' analyst though. But that's just my opinion; I'd probably be one too if I was good enough to actually play in the majors during my career.

I absolutely COULD NOT STAND the man when he did color on the College World Series. He ran out of stuff by the 3rd inning. Completely numbing to listen to. Even though it's only once a year, I watch more hours of that than BBTN, so I guess I'm pretty neutral on the subject.

GreenMonster
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Of course, Nails had (cough) a little help with his career.:devil:

So did Krukie. That is if you consider hot dogs, beer, cigarettes, and more beer performance enhancers. :cool:

STANG RED
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Fire Stephen A. Smith

I'll 2nd that! Or 3rd it, or 4th it. Whatever it takes. I cant change the channel fast enough, when he comes on. I think I'd rather watch Icecapades, or a soap opera.

football4life
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Kruk has really started to look like one of those dinosaurs from that TV show

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/dinosaurs_0012.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/pattonwb/kruk3.jpg

aw man i loved that show, that baby was hilarious! anyway, i would like to know the real story behind all of this...

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
i really do wonder

TexasHSFootball
07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
there is no other source to go on but this...
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php

SWMustang
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TexasHSFootball
there is no other source to go on but this...
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php

no offense to Mathew328, but you don't poop where you work - er something like that...

KTJ
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Sources are now saying the sexual harrassment isn't true.

He got into arguments when ESPN wanted to play up the ARod thing, yet again, during the NY-Texas series.

Gobbla2001
07-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
when ESPN wanted to play up

that's what they do, play up...

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Sources are now saying the sexual harrassment isn't true.

He got into arguments when ESPN wanted to play up the ARod thing, yet again, during the NY-Texas series. wonder of A-rod should send him a check for all the fighting on his behalf while he was there

Maroon87
07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
He probably got sick of the nightly "A-Rod watch." Can't say I blame him.

maestro
07-25-2006, 07:39 PM
had to be something serious....

he was my favorite .....and absolutely made the college world series worth watching each year.....

Gobbla2001
07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
the nightly "A-Rod watch."

ESPN gets so rediculous with crap like that...

I remember the year Shaq went to Miami... for some reason they forgot to make a big deal about Shaq and Kobe's first time playing against each other, so they came around LATER that year (after they had already met once) and decided to hype up their meeting... "What will happen in pre-game when Shaq and Kobe go out on the floor for tip-off???"

What happened the FIRST time pretty much...

Bull Butter
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Are you guys implying that ESPN tends to over-hype certain things?????:eek:

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
ESPN gets so rediculous with crap like that...

I remember the year Shaq went to Miami... for some reason they forgot to make a big deal about Shaq and Kobe's first time playing against each other, so they came around LATER that year (after they had already met once) and decided to hype up their meeting... "What will happen in pre-game when Shaq and Kobe go out on the floor for tip-off???"

What happened the FIRST time pretty much... i thought i was the only one to notice that...

Gobbla2001
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

No... they don't tend do, they just do...

And they also come up with some rediculous stuff... I'm pretty sure they'll have a poll on their website pretty soon askingwhich PGA star will lose their father next'... whether that's before the "which PGA star who is fatherless will win a British Open in the near future" poll, I'm not sure...

Gp83
07-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I loved Harold Reynolds:mad:

eagles_victory
07-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I have baseball tonight autotuned to see if they address it tonight

Emerson1
07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Anything they overhype always comes true. Like USC being the best team ever..........

sahen
07-25-2006, 11:01 PM
See Reggie Bush for Heisman or as stated above USC is the best team ever, pretty much the pinnacle of their overhyping right there and really ridiculous how they do that.....

I liked Harold Reynolds hopefully there will be enough back lash to them firing him especially if it is because he refused to hype something that ESPN will stop doing it, though i seriously dobut that will happen...

maestro
07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
did baseball tonight address it???

Maroon87
07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
ESPN is so full of themselves it isn't even funny. I'll watch ESPN News if anything so I can steer clear of "catchphrase hell.":rolleyes: Just tell me what happened in the game and I'm fine...

BTEXDAD
07-26-2006, 08:30 AM

Reynolds was good, IMO. I'm not sure who Phillips slept with to get so much air time on espn.
Back in winter, when they had Phillips playing the part of different MLB GMs, and doing "interviews" about what each team was needing and what they were doing to get it, was a total waste of air time.
I'd definitely agree about getting rid of Stephen A. Smith before Reynolds.
Phillips apparently slept with someone high up in ESPN and Stephen A. has the pictures. That would explain it.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 08:37 AM

Absolutely! Let me give an example...

Just before a commercial break the guy from ESPN news says
"You won't believe what T.O. has done now!"..."stay tuned". After
the commercial what T.O. has done was practiced with the
Cowboys. ***?

DaHop72
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Absolutely! Let me give an example...

Just before a commercial break the guy from ESPN news says
"You won't believe what T.O. has done now!"..."stay tuned". After
the commercial what T.O. has done was practiced with the
Cowboys. ***? Kept you around to find out didn't it. Most news and sports shows leave you with a hook before a commercial for that very reason.

pirate4state
07-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I have baseball tonight autotuned to see if they address it tonight I love how these guys keep quoting, "ESPN has confirmed that Harold Reynolds has been fired." ***? Funny stuff.

DaHop72
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
From MSNBC

ESPN's Reynolds fired for sexual harassment?
'I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted,' ex-analyst says

BRISTOL, Conn. - Harold Reynolds was fired by ESPN from his job as a baseball analyst after he was accused of sexual harassment, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

The former Gold Glove-winning second baseman, a member of the “Baseball Tonight” team for 11 years, said he didn’t do anything to warrant his dismissal and wants his job back.

“It was a total misunderstanding,” Reynolds told the Post. “My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted.”

The newspaper, quoting sources, reported that the woman is an ESPN employee.

On Tuesday, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said Reynolds, 45, made his last on-air appearance for the network Sunday night. ESPN refused to comment on previous reports that Reynolds was dismissed, or to provide any details regarding his departure.

“All I can say is he is no longer working here,” Krulewitz said.

Reynolds, who played 12 major league seasons, joined ESPN in 1996. In addition to his work on “Baseball Tonight,” he also covered the College World Series and the Little League World Series.

ESPN already was dealing with the loss of another baseball analyst, Peter Gammons, who has been off the air since he was stricken with a brain aneurysm on June 27.

pirate4state
07-26-2006, 09:25 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm...:thinking: Wonder who he was hugging? Who saw it and who misinterpreted it? Answers people, I want answers!! LOL! I hate this about the media. When you want to know they have "no comment", but when you could give a crap they bombard you with "comments". :foul: :foul:

Wonder who is gonna call the Little League World Series now? :(

SWMustang
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
I thin k there's more to the story than HR's account. Typically you don't fire someone for a first offense as questionable as this. I'm guessing he's been talked to about this before. And I would think the "hugee" would have to be the one to lodge the complaint.

A message to all: Keep your hands (and hugs) to yourself. It doesn't matter what your intent is, but rather how the other party perceives your actions. You can't control how others feel, but you can control yourself.

CalallenWildcat
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I read something on this yesterday - apparently HR is known as one of the "ladies' men" in Bristol.

maestro
07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
thanks for the updates.

i agree...if this is first offense, it is too severe.

if he was on " double secret probation"...then that's another story.

the man could do his job.....and i enjoyed listening to him.

Keith7
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Him and Peter Gammons are the only ones who really know what they are talking about on Baseball Tonight and now neither are on the show?? I know Gammons is sick, but Harold Reynolds never should have been fired.. boycot Baseball Tonight!!!

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Him and Peter Gammons are the only ones who really know what they are talking about on Baseball Tonight and now neither are on the show?? I know Gammons is sick, but Harold Reynolds never should have been fired.. boycot Baseball Tonight!!!

I would but I can't. I have suffered since '84 for being a Detroit
Tiger fan. I am going to watch every highlight I can because
after this year it might be another 22 before they're this good
again. :(

Phil C
07-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I would but I can't. I have suffered since '84 for being a Detroit
Tiger fan. I am going to watch every highlight I can because
after this year it might be another 22 before they're this good
again. :(

Are you a Detroit Lions fan too?

Snyder_TigerFan
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I would but I can't. I have suffered since '84 for being a Tiger fan.

Ahh hah!;) A closet Tiger FAN!

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Are you a Detroit Lions fan too?

Can I answer that in a PM???:D

Yes, but I have the Mustangs and the University of Michigan to
help ease the pain. Except when Michigan played UT in the Rose
Bowl. I ran my mouth for a month at work before the game...
only to have Dusty Mangum rip my heart out. :(

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Ahh hah!;) A closet Tiger FAN!

Busted! :doh:

DaHop72
07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I have been a closet Snyder Tiger fan. I am going to watch every highlight I can. :devil: :devil: