PDA

View Full Version : Player of the Year Award

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
The most highly-anticipated Lowie thus far, the POY is given to the Downlow member who was the best player this past football season. Remember, this is a player-first award given to the guy that you think was the best on the field, not the one that contributed the most to the board.

In case you are up in the air about which one to choose, other sports may be taken into consideration as a supporting factor, but NOT as the primary one. If that player was, let's say, the State MVP in baseball but didn't do anything in football, the vote would go to the ones who did better in football even if they did nothing in any other sport.

I know it's tough to follow, but feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Without further adieu, here's the three nominees PLUS ONE by presidential authority:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
JARED PEDDY, Sr. WR Canyon (football4life)- What else can you say for a guy who was robbed of a spot on the First Team All-State squad? Let's start with the fact that, to my knowledge, Peddy was the second-leading receiver in the state in both yards (1,103) and TD's (14), trailing only one of the first-teamers, Paul Quijano of Poteet. Quijano beat him out by exactly nine (9) receiving yards and three TD's. Furthermore, he LED THE STATE in receptions and was one of the keys of the most potent offense in the state. But you know what, it's alright. The Associated Press at least let him onto the first team as a DB.

Just to get everything straight, we're talking about a guy who was an honorable mention All State WR, a First Team All State DB, a second-team All State WR by the Texas Press Writers Association, and shot his first buck this season. Oh, and to top it off, some school is going to give him an education to play baseball.

Jared
senior
5'11, 170, 4.55

football (offense)
84 catches / 1,103 yds / 14 total TDs

(defense)
tackles ? maybe 25 / 10 INTs

(honors)
1st team AD WR/DB
1st team AP/tswa All state DB
2nd team tswa all state WR
hon mention AP all state WR
ama. globe news 3a player of the year

baseball
.510 BA, 2 HRs, 24 RBIs, 32 SBs
1st team THSCA all-state OF
GWTCA All-star game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kyle Noack, Jr. QB Cuero (We're Back)- Was the head of the most feared monster in the state in 3A. QB'd the number one team in the state and one of, if not the, best offense in the state throughout the year.

Noack was edged out by Abilene Wylie's Case Keenum and Canton's G.J. Kinne for a spot on the AP All-State squad (even though he made honorable mention), but was actually one of the finalists for Dave Campbell's 3A Player of the Year award. Taking it a step further, he was also voted the Victoria Area Offensive MVP by the Victoria Advocate and was a unanimous choice as the All District First Teamer out of District 26.

Led them to the State Semifinals where they were upset by Hutto, but is already getting ready for another run next year.

That's right: he still has another year.

The kid is only a junior, but has been contacted by two D-IA schools. While I'm not sure if he wants the specifics being discussed on a web board, I'll be more than willing to tell you that one is among the top scholastic universities in the nation and the other is a perennial top-25 team.

Kyle Noack
Height
6'0
Weight
40 Yd Dash
4.4 (run at Rice University Combine, electronic timed)
Vertical Jump
33"
GPA
Class

2666 pass yards, 34 TD, 4 INT
67.7 % passing completion
325 yards rushing, 10 TD

Victoria Area Offensive MVP
Unanimous 1st Team All-District QB
Finalist - DCTF 3A Player of Year
APSE Class 3A All-State HM QB

(Track)
I know in Track he was a regional Qualifier in the 400m and a state Qualifier in the 4x400 with the realy teamplacing 6th at state . Helped Cuero take the overall team gold in track .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shane Minks, Sr. QB West Columbia (Neck 06)- This guy may be the best overall athlete on the Downlow. Not only was he an All-District QB for the Roughnecks, he was also a stud on the basketball team and one of the most sought-after baseball prospects in the state, in the end opting to let Texas A&M shell out $50K so he can play baseball a couple more years.

Sorry bastard.

While his exact football stats are unknown, his accomplishments aren't. Was a standout at QB, made both the All-District and All-County teams in one of the toughest districts in the state, and pulled a looker for a girlfriend. What more could a man want?

Shane Minks
(Baseball- P/SS)
5-5 Record 1.32 ERA 109 Ks
.449 batting average 16 RBIs
.975 Fielding Percentage from shortstop

(Hoops)
Roughly 12 points 5 rebounds and about 3 or 4 steals a game throughout the year, turned it up a notch and averaged 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 or 6 steals per game in district play.

If anyone happens to have his football stats, let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Randall, Sr. DE (also started at FB and WB) Rockdale (BBDE)- You may be asking yourself how a guy who played on a team that finished with a losing record is in the company of all these guys who played on top-20 teams that advanced deep into the playoffs.

Here's how...

He was a Second Team TexasHSFootball.com All-State DE, coming from a team that went 3-7. Furthermore, he was honored as an All-Region 3 DE and one of the top vote-getters for 19-3A's All-District squad. Came up with 50 solo tackles, 38 assisted tackles (88 TOTAL AS AN END!!!), 2 sacks, a blocked FG and a blocked punt. According to a couple of people on this board, he was one of the most disruptive defensive players in the state.

Oh, and academics didn't fall behind, either.

Was a Second Team Academic All-State DE.

The single thing that stands out to me about this kid was that he ran a legit 4.6 at 6,' 215 lbs. When we were PMing each other, getting the stats straight, he told me that he was walking on to the football team at Texas A&M, but that he was worried.

You know, you hear a lot of people talk about how everyone on their team runs a 4.4 or 4.5 and begin to lose sight of exactly how fast a 4.7 second forty really is. So I responded to him with this PM:

big daddy russ wrote on 07-10-2006 10:10 PM:
Owed or not, I'm still pulling for you and I think you'll be fine as long as you keep your head up. A 4.6 is fast no matter who you are. If you can get up to 235 and stay below a 4.7, you'll be just fine.

Here's some food for thought. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/lb)

The 2006 crop of linebackers is very fast with eight running under 4.6. The average time of the 38 linebackers at the Combine was 4.69 with Stanford's Jon Alston running under 4.5 (4.40 and 4.46).

Just keep working at it. Emmitt Smith ran a 4.7. So did Michael Irvin. Jerry Rice was the 16th overall pick in the 1985 NFL Draft as a WR out of a tiny school in Mississippi. He ran a 4.6.

Gary Randall
88 Tackles
50 Solo
2 Sacks
Blk punt
Blk FG
4.6 Forty
4.20 Twenty-Yard Shuttle
34" Vertical
23 Reps @ 185 (Can max out @ roughly 315)
39th Highest National Nike Sparq rating out of over 10,500 athletes in America.

(Hoops)
Starter @ post
Team Captain

(Track)
Regional Qualifier

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other nominees included chubbed up, Magic Man, gobbler84, big papa, Tiger WR, two bills, JHS c/o 06, and Bootsy Hondo.

As always, you have 24 hours to vote. Voting will end at approximately 6:00 PM tomorrow (Tuesday).

If you have anything to add or any corrections, feel free. Just let me know and I'll change it, or you are welcome to post it under this thread.

Cameron Crazy
07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Kyle Noack baby!!

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Go gary

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:08 PM
What a great group of players, so honored to have shared thoughts via the downlow with these young men...

You don't need to ask who I voted for because you should know...

I will also vote for him next year :D

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm sure Holmes_Fan will be glad to pass this great honor to any of these players

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1607/playerfz2.gif

Old Tiger
07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Kyle

maestro
07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
minks played in our district.....

and excelled in all three major sports. Led all 3 to the playoffs and district titles.

the guy comes to play WHATEVER season it is.

he has my utmost respect.

gobbler grad
07-24-2006, 06:31 PM
great group of guys there, but got to go with my lil' gobbler...I see great things in this young man this year...

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 06:34 PM
We need some better choices to vote.

SintonFan
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I voted for Casey!:clap:

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
We need some better choices to vote.

They have to post here...

Do any better players post here?

Sorry this isn't a Snyder thread...

Minks would be my second choice... He is the most consistant in all sports for sure...

What got me was Kyle's percentages... the guy threw for so many yards yet it seemed it wasn't enough to be 2nd or 1st all-state... yet we had more rushing than he had passing it was so balanced... I'll be honest and say that if our running game wasn't as good as it was, the kid would have been pushing 3500 or so, but we didn't need him to, he did exactly what was needed...

RMAC
07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
It really doesn't matter who wins, b/c from what I've read from all these guys, they're all pretty good guys to get along w/ and talk to. What I'm saying is they're all class acts and will say that whoever wins deserves to win. So I vote for a tie.

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
c'mon :MINKS:

Old Tiger
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I voted for Casey!:clap: Score!

SintonFan
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
c'mon :MINKS:
I've met Kyle and while he had a great year(and if Casey doesn't get it) he still has two more years of eligability. I'd say Gary or Shane should be front runners since they had great seasons in all sports and they were seniors. But the homer votes will pervail here.:(

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Score!

I would have voted for ya too..... rats!!!

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
he still has two more years of eligability.

WHOA REALLY...... YESSSSSSSSSS... but dammit it's just one:(

And it wasn't a homer vote, you just see him play 14 games and you become a believer in the kid...

I voted for a non-Cuero guy in the receiver poll?:confused: :)

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
It really doesn't matter who wins, b/c from what I've read from all these guys, they're all pretty good guys to get along w/ and talk to. What I'm saying is they're all class acts and will say that whoever wins deserves to win. So I vote for a tie.

Looks like the POY for losers

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
If you were any good at sports you might of been able to make it on the ballot to.

BMOC
07-24-2006, 07:17 PM

I think he is a she, who doesn't play at all.

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by BMOC

If you think that, better get a new pair of glasses or you are ?????????:mad:

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
She is mad she had to play girl sports like volleyball, even though she looks like a man.

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BMOC

I think he might be a she

pirate44
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
im campaigning for Gary:clap:

tigerpride_08
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
come on..minks is the overall deal on the board and on the field..noack has a year left, so give it too him next year..

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
im campaigning for Gary:clap:
Me to, he has been a member the longest.

We're Back hasn't even posted since march and before that it was december.

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Remember guys, player-first vote. Doesn't matter if they don't have a single post under their name, only what they did on the field.

tigerpride_08
07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
i would want the player of the year to be the best and it seems to me that neck has a pretty good career in the sports he played...now i can't say much about the others maybe because i haven't seen them play except noack like twice...

pirate44
07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Gary's stats speak for themselves. :clap:

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If you were any good at sports you might of been able to make it on the ballot to.

I was a quarterback for a major Division I school:devil:

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
I've met Kyle and while he had a great year(and if Casey doesn't get it) he still has two more years of eligability. I'd say Gary or Shane should be front runners since they had great seasons in all sports and they were seniors. But the homer votes will pervail here.:( i'm afraid so, i've been a big fan of shane since, we'll since way back

neck_06
07-24-2006, 08:03 PM
you know who i voted for...............i just wish more people would........where are all the W.C. people and the FANTOM members????? ;)

tigerpride_08
07-24-2006, 08:05 PM
hey i did my part for you neck...

tigerpride_08
07-24-2006, 08:06 PM
there should have been a senior age limit..i know noack is good but like i said he still has another year left...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
there should have been a senior age limit..i know noack is good but like i said he still has another year left...
I voted for Noack just because he's a hell of a player. I know how hard he's worked, years of eligibility left or not, he plays every game like it's his last.

eagles_victory
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I voted for Noack just because he's a hell of a player. I know how hard he's worked, years of eligibility left or not, he plays every game like it's his last. BBDE cant get any votes bc hes not a republican is my theory

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I was a quarterback for a major Division I school:devil:
Ya, but Temple didn't win a game last season

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 08:30 PM
It's a nice idea and I get the warm fuzzies when I think about it, but that'd be like excluding Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Reggie Bush or Adrian Peterson from the Heisman race during their junior (or in Peterson's case, freshman) years.

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Ya, a high quality freshman player won the last POY award

Ranger Mom
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I have talked in depth with Kyle in IM's about his dreams for the future....and I have talked in depth with Gary in the chats about the same thing.

The other 2 in question, I have never talked to outside of posts on the board so I don't have the same "feel" on them as I do Gary and Kyle.

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
i just read all the stats. i want to say congrats to all the nominees. the numbers you guys put up for you teams were incredible. none of you are losers. won't say who i'm voting for, but i will ask a question? wheres my boy Kaeron? no love for the big uglies, getting it done down in the trenches. Kaeron for MVP. i love them big uglies:D

Ranger Mom
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i just read all the stats. i want to sat congrats to all the nominees. the numbers you guys put up for you teams were incredible. none of you are losers. won't say i'm voting for, but i will ask a question? wheres my boy Kaeron? no love for the big uglies, getting it done down in the trenches. Kaeron for MVP. i love them big uglies:D

He DOES have 2 years of eligiblity left...adidas would have really caught it for that!!:p

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
BBDE cant get any votes bc hes not a republican is my theory but he is a very well informed non-republican.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2006, 08:41 PM
but he is a very well informed non-republican.

:thumbsup:

pirate44
07-24-2006, 08:43 PM
i got a feeling thisll be a close one. another 1000+viewed threads

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
:thumbsup: i thought you would like that:D

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
i just read all the stats. i want to sat congrats to all the nominees. the numbers you guys put up for you teams were incredible. none of you are losers. won't say i'm voting for, but i will ask a question? wheres my boy Kaeron? no love for the big uglies, getting it done down in the trenches. Kaeron for MVP. i love them big uglies:D
He got nominated, but just couldn't push through this crowd. Heck, I had to force the nomination of a guy who was a Second Team All-Stater. On top of that, a couple of kids who will be playing Division I football next year were left out of the fold.

This is a really tough group. I'm not even voting simply because I can't decide.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
i thought you would like that:D
Oh, I definately got a good laugh out of that one. :D

pirate44
07-24-2006, 08:48 PM
this would be neck and neck if Gary would have voted for himself. i still think he can pull it out.

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He got nominated, but just couldn't push through this crowd. Heck, I had to force the nomination of a guy who was a Second Team All-Stater. On top of that, a couple of kids who will be playing Division I football next year were left out of the fold.

This is a really tough group. I'm not even voting simply because I can't decide. i agree..........excellent group and i could not be prouder for all of them:clap::clap:

pirate44
07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
i agree..........excellent group and i could not be prouder for all of them:clap::clap:
i agree, its a great group of players. the downlow has alot to brag on these guys. but i voted for the one who i would pick first to be on my team.

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
i was gonna vote for the Aggie. but there is gonna be 2 of them:doh:

tigerpride_08
07-24-2006, 09:17 PM
i was gonna vote for the Aggie. but there is gonna be 2 of them:doh:

who's the other one?...

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
who's the other one?... i'm pretty sure BBDE told me he was gonna walk on at A&M.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
i'm pretty sure BBDE told me he was gonna walk on at A&M.
Yes, I am walking on to play football at A&M.

District303aPastPlayer
07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
its pretty obvious i voted for a friend of mine. but yeah, throwing for almost 2700 yards in like 14 games, and only throwing 4 INTs... and if you have ever talked to Noack before... he preps each game like he wont be her saturday... and then takes a look at his film, and critiques EVERY SINGLE SNAP...

Ranger Mom
07-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
and then takes a look at his film, and critiques EVERY SINGLE SNAP...

He is SOOO hard on himself too!!

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
for some reason i think that this is the proudest i've ever been of the downlow

sicem74
07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
wow derek evans is not on here so this poll is rigged!

Gobbler Fan
07-24-2006, 10:34 PM
My vote goes to JT. Rudd ....how many times does a kid get placed on 1st team all-state on offense and defense ........but since he was left off this list for some reason Kyle get's my vote .

SintonFan
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
BBDE cant get any votes bc hes not a republican is my theory
ROFL!:D :inlove:
Political deviation aside noone is looking at politics when it comes to these guys.:p

SintonFan
07-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
WHOA REALLY...... YESSSSSSSSSS... but dammit it's just one:(

And it wasn't a homer vote, you just see him play 14 games and you become a believer in the kid...

I voted for a non-Cuero guy in the receiver poll?:confused: :)
I'm so ashamed. I then remembered he was a junior last year. I do remember he was very mature for his age.
I'd still vote for Shane or Gary. Those three sport stats on both stand out to me.:cool: :clap: :)

Emerson1
07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
BBDE should win just because he didn't vote for himself.

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
My vote goes to JT. Rudd ....how many times does a kid get placed on 1st team all-state on offense and defense ........but since he was left off this list for some reason Kyle get's my vote .
You should've nominated him. One more nomination and he would've been in the fold.

There's your reason.

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
wow derek evans is not on here so this poll is rigged!
Does he post on the DL??? If so, why didn't you nominate him?

Gobbler Fan
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
It's still a great group of kid's BDR .....:cool:

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Absolutely. All four were All State-caliber players.

Rudd, Cooper, and a couple of your OL also post on here from time to time. If I could've put them all on there, I would've. Great group... and what's scary is that you get a bunch of those kids back next year.:eek:

SintonFan
07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
All are great, I agree! Too bad I gave my vote already.:(
And while I didn't get to vote for Casey this year I did vote for who I thought shoud get it.:cool:

injuredinmelee
07-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Jared was the most fun and gutsy player I saw in all classifications last year. I watched at least one game every week and sometimes two and he stands out as the MAN!!!

Old Green
07-25-2006, 05:16 AM
This is the hardest poll that has ever been posted. I wish there was another option. Like all of the above. I didn't vote. I like all these kids.

Adidas410s
07-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
This is the hardest poll that has ever been posted. I wish there was another option. Like all of the above. I didn't vote. I like all these kids.

I'm right there with ya. I'm can't decide between two of the guys. I have a bit longer to think about it so I'll figure it out. :thinking:

GreenMonster
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I have to admit, I voted for Kyle. I felt he was the most valuable player to his team of the nominees. That's my opinion. One of my biggest questions is how in the world did Neck_06 only go 5-5 with that ERA??? :eek: Sounds like he was in serious need of offensive support. Those numbers are unreal. Congrats to all you guys. I wish we could give you all a Lowie for making it this far. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and hope to see continued posts from all. :clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I would like to congratulate Kyle, you earned it bro. Keep working hard and take it to state this year, no excuses.

AggieJohn
07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
where is Noack leaning?

Gobbla2001
07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
One of my biggest questions is how in the world did Neck_06 only go 5-5 with that ERA??? :eek:

The UIL made him lose games so that he could look human...

According to section B, no C, ahh whatever section, it is illegal for aliens and/or super-humans to compete in UIL sanctioned competitions...

tigerpride_08
07-25-2006, 09:09 PM
he lost a game against us and gave only one run on a sac bunt...

rockdale80
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I didnt even get to vote....oh well. Congrats to all the guys. Looks like you all have bright futures in front of you. Keep up the good work.

pirate44
07-26-2006, 05:52 AM
congrats to Kyle as well as the rest. great group of athletes:clap: