PDA

View Full Version : Best Baseball Announcers

Bull Butter
07-23-2006, 09:45 PM
1. Vin Scully--the standard by which ALL announcers should be measured
2. Jack Buck- "Go crazy, folks, go crazy! It's a home run by the wizard!"
3. Jon Miller- the best current announcer BAR NONE
4. Harry Kalas- began as an Astros voice, moved on to th Phillies in '71. Also the voice of NFL films following the death of John "the Frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" Facenda.
5. Bob Uecker- aside from the Miller Lite commercials and Mr. Belvedere, the guy is a top notch announcer.

This list may be a little biased toward current times as I never got to hear guys like Red Barber, Mel Allen, and Ernie Harwell. I was too young for Dizzy Dean, Jack Brickhouse and only got to hear Harry Caray during his drunken "Cub Fan, Bud Man" days:mad:

your thoughts????

neck_06
07-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Harry Doyle.......;)

Bull Butter
07-23-2006, 10:23 PM
"Jussssssssssst a bit outside!"

AggieJohn
07-23-2006, 10:56 PM
HALL OF FAMER Milo Hamilton

Old Tiger
07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Joe Buck should stick to baseball and leave football alone.

Gobbla2001
07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

God bless you!

Hell, I guess I'm biased but "Holy Toledo"...

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I like Eric Nadel but loved listening to Vin when i was in LA. Uecker who i met at an Astros game earlier this year does a good job.

District303aPastPlayer
07-23-2006, 11:08 PM
juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside :D LOVE ITTT!!!

Bull Butter
07-23-2006, 11:19 PM
On a down note, for Cowboys fans, Vin Scully was the CBS-TV announcer during the 1982 NFC Championship game.

".........and for Montana and the upstart 49ers, they're 6 yards away from Pontiac!"

We all know what happened next:(

Keith7
07-24-2006, 01:38 AM
1. Josh Lewin
2. Tom Grieve
3. Harold Reynolds
4. Harry Carry
5. any one who isn't Joe Buck

Astrosdawg07
07-24-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
1. Josh Lewin
2. Tom Grieve
3. Harold Reynolds
4. Harry Carry
5. any one who isn't Joe Buck

Keith a little biased towards the Rangers are we?

sahen
07-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Milo all the way....it just sounds weird now when u listen to road games on teh radio and he isnt on there....

3afan
07-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

agree with that .............

pirate44
07-24-2006, 05:53 AM
ditto

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 06:50 AM
IT'S GONE, IT'S GONE, IT'S GONE

gotta love milo

pirate44
07-24-2006, 06:57 AM
IT'S GONE, IT'S GONE, IT'S GONE

gotta love milo
my favorite moment was when he yelled "SING IT LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN!!" to a national anthem singer who tried to add to much to the rendition.

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
my favorite moment was when he yelled "SING IT LIKE IT WAS WRITTEN!!" to a national anthem singer who tried to add to much to the rendition. I bought his book this past fall, I hope to get to it later this year

pirate44
07-24-2006, 07:11 AM
I bought his book this past fall, I hope to get to it later this year
did you get to see him when he came down for the hooks game?

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
1. Vin Scully--the standard by which ALL announcers should be measured
2. Jack Buck- "Go crazy, folks, go crazy! It's a home run by the wizard!"
4. Harry Kalas- began as an Astros voice, moved on to th Phillies in '71. Also the voice of NFL films following the death of John "the Frozen tundra of Lambeau Field" Facenda.
5. Bob Uecker- aside from the Miller Lite commercials and Mr. Belvedere, the guy is a top notch announcer.

This list may be a little biased toward current times as I never got to hear guys like Red Barber, Mel Allen, and Ernie Harwell. I was too young for Dizzy Dean, Jack Brickhouse and only got to hear Harry Caray during his drunken "Cub Fan, Bud Man" days:mad:

your thoughts????

1. Harry Cary
2. Jack Buck
3. Vin Scully
4. Mel Allen
5. Red Barber

AggieJohn
07-24-2006, 07:31 AM
harry cary is the most over-rated in my opinion........half the time he missed calling thegame to go on personal rants

maestro
07-24-2006, 07:31 AM
unlike most....I like listening to joe morgan and jon miller.....

Snydertigersrul
07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
harry cary is the most over-rated in my opinion........half the time he missed calling thegame to go on personal rants

Harry was the best announcer ever, no question about that. He was the greatest. If you don't believe him, ask him when you get to Heaven.

Buccaneer
07-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Loel Passe and Gene Elston

lostaussie
07-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Mark Holtz. I can't believe nobody has remembered him. It was a sad day when he had to leave the Rangers.

Buccaneer
07-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Loel Passe and Gene Elston
Gene and Loel were a perfect ying-yang for Astro fans back in those 90-loss days. Gene had the smooth delivery reporting the game like a traffic cop giving you the details of an accident. Precise. Factual. Little opinion and little hype. Some tension to the voice for drama but not enough to make you think he was exaggerating the moment. When Gene raised his voice, you knew something important was going on in the game. Gene let baseball itself be the star of the show.

Loel, on the other hand, reported with boundless optimism, enthusiasm and a southern drawl. He was a favorite of Judge Roy Hofheinz when he called minor league games and that became Loel's ticket to the big leagues. Loel was "hot ziggetty dog and sassafras tea", "now you chuckin' 'em in there" and "he breezed him one more time". A diving catch by Jimmy Wynn would be "the greatest catch you'll ever see in the fabulous Astrodome" coming from Loel's microphone. If the truth wasn't exciting enough, Loel would sometimes embellish as he went along. Loel took care of the postcards, letters, well-wishers and glad-handers all with the charm of a southern gentleman. He was the homer and the huckster which blended well with Gene's no-nonsense style.

It's cliche to say "it was a simpler time then", but it was. The Astros appeared on tv only on road Sundays so if you wanted to actually see the Astros you had to go to the ballpark. If you couldn't, Gene and Loel were the next best thing. There was no internet, no SportsCenter. No fantasy leagues or sabermaticians. There was just live baseball and if you missed it the first time, you missed it. That's probably one reason why Gene has such a loyal following today (as do many of the broadcasting greats of his generation). We needed Gene to describe what we couldn't see, to explain what we didn't know and provide context when needed. Gene did that superbly. Astro fans like me are immensely thankful

Phil C
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Gil Stratton was a popular radio and tv annoucner for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was also an actor that appeared in many television programs and movies. He was an actor by profession at first and his main movie was wheh he played Clarence (Narrator) in Stalag 17 as William Holden's sidekick. This movie was about POWs in WW2 Germany. His voice caught the attention of the local tv and radio stations and in the mid fifties he became their announcer for the Dogers for many years. He continued to make many appearances on tv since he lived in LA and it was easy for him to do so. He is now retired and living in Hawaii.

htowntransplant
07-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Milo all the way....it just sounds weird now when u listen to road games on teh radio and he isnt on there....

HOLY TOLEDO! Put a blue star all over that baby!

htowntransplant
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
two others i enjoy or did enjoy are john buck and bob costas calling world series games.

griff
07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Harry Karay was beloved by Cubs fans, but as an announcer he was overrated. Half the time he was drunk on the air...sloppy with pronunciation of words and names...once I heard him call Bobby Abreu by the name of "Bobby uh-BOO". Too much Wild Turkey...

What's really funny about this list is that Jon Miller can do an excellent impersonation of both Harry Karay and Vin Scully. Roy Firestone used to have him as a guest often and he broke lose on these two every time he was on.

Sweetwater Red
07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Ernie Harwell.

Bull Butter
07-24-2006, 10:16 AM
That's why I left Harry off my top 5. He was probably a decent announcer inhis Cardinals days in the 50's & 60's. By the time he got to the Cubs in the early 80's, he was a drunk borderline senile old man who was horrible on pronouncing names.

In Harry's defense, I will give him one thing. He made it fun to be a Cubs fan. In the late 70's- early 80's, average attendance at Wrigley was in the 10-15,000 range. Harry, with his "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" 7th Inning stretch routine along with the 1984 team's rise to the top made Wrigley the place to be in Chicago.

JasperDog94
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I've lost a ton of respect for Milo when his book came out. He holds a lot of grudes and refuses to let them go. (Harry Carry) Now he carries that grudge against Carry's sons. Dude, let it go.

To me he's just a bitter old man now.:(