PDA

View Full Version : Any Car Mechanics on board?

bccards
07-23-2006, 05:20 PM
My 2003 Chevy truck A/C just suddenly quit working. It was working when I stopped at the gas station to get some more gasoline, then when I started the truck back up, the A/C wouldn't come on. I turned the controls to off, then back to on to see if it'd kick on, but it'd never come on. The compressor does come on, because you can hear it and the RPM's go up. Obviously, I didn't leave it like that at all because I don't want to damage anything, so I just turned it all off. The problem is going to be the blower, definitely, but I can't get the 40AMP fuse out from under my hood to check it! Any other suggestions on what it could be for any car folks out there?

Chief Woodman
07-23-2006, 05:21 PM
possibly buy a Ford?

gobbler grad
07-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
possibly buy a Ford?

yeah right, talking about car trouble...:doh:

STANG RED
07-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bccards
My 2003 Chevy truck A/C just suddenly quit working. It was working when I stopped at the gas station to get some more gasoline, then when I started the truck back up, the A/C wouldn't come on. I turned the controls to off, then back to on to see if it'd kick on, but it'd never come on. The compressor does come on, because you can hear it and the RPM's go up. Obviously, I didn't leave it like that at all because I don't want to damage anything, so I just turned it all off. The problem is going to be the blower, definitely, but I can't get the 40AMP fuse out from under my hood to check it! Any other suggestions on what it could be for any car folks out there?

It could possibly be in your ignition switch. I had a truck one time that would do something like that occasionally. After starting, I would have to turn the ignition ever so slightly towards off, and everything would come on. After finally changing it out, I never had the problem again.
Why cant you get the fuse out? That's really the first thing you need to check. If it is blown though, it's blown for a reason. Even if you put a new one in it, and it works, it'll probably happen again someday, until you get the real problem fixed.

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 06:34 PM
how about WARRANTY

bccards
07-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Won't ever see me owning a FORD, Chief ;) I don't want to have to fix major mechanical problems every year. Chevy's don't have this issue :D

Can't get the fuse out because it's one of those big 40A fuses, I've tried to get it out using every method I know how to do. IT's not one of those tiny fuses you can buy at a regular store.

Warranty work would be nice, but i'm out of warranty. Doh!

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 07:58 PM
gotcha....that sucks...

sinton66
07-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Won't ever see me owning a FORD, Chief ;) I don't want to have to fix major mechanical problems every year. Chevy's don't have this issue :D

Can't get the fuse out because it's one of those big 40A fuses, I've tried to get it out using every method I know how to do. IT's not one of those tiny fuses you can buy at a regular store.

You should be able to pull the fuse out if you have a pair of needle nosed pliers. If the fuse is bad, you gotta think what made it blow. Could be pinched wires somewhere causing a short. Could be the blower motor itself going bad.

By the way, I've had Fords all my life and have never had major trouble with any of them. My 98 F150 just went over 110k, and I've not done anything except change the oil and add gas. Oh wait, I did change the spark plug wires about 2 months ago.

Old Green
07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Some of those large fuses have little retaner clips that hold them in place . Check to see if yours has it.

I had AC troubles last month. It kept leaking freon. Turns out the compressor on my GMC had a small leak. The Ac would cycle and do everthing yours is doing. I got it fixed to the tune of $800.00.:(

Chief Woodman
07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Replace the blower motor and the fuse.

Ranger Mom
07-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
You should be able to pull the fuse out if you have a pair of needle nosed pliers. If the fuse is bad, you gotta think what made it blow. Could be pinched wires somewhere causing a short. Could be the blower motor itself going bad.

By the way, I've had Fords all my life and have never had major trouble with any of them. My 98 F150 just went over 110k, and I've not done anything except change the oil and add gas. Oh wait, I did change the spark plug wires about 2 months ago.

I have never had any problems with any Fords I have owned either.

In the past month, we have replaced a starter and a fuel pump in one Chevy and another fuel pump just went out in another Chevy we own!!

Old Green
07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

In the past month, we have replaced a starter and a fuel pump in one Chevy and another fuel pump just went out in another Chevy we own!! Well we've had a Sweetwater- Wylie- Snyder feud. Let's have a Ford-Chevy-GMC feud.:devil: :D

sinton66
07-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

In the past month, we have replaced a starter and a fuel pump in one Chevy and another fuel pump just went out in another Chevy we own!!

My boss has a new Avalanche with only 30k on it and it's been in the shop four times already. Twice for the AC blower, and twice for transmission problems. Last year we had a customer's vehicle come in for radio install. It was a brand new Chevy Heavy Duty 4x4. He parked it in our shop for the install, and when we went to move it out, It wouldn't start. Starter went out with less than 30 miles on it.;)

DU_stud04
07-23-2006, 08:41 PM
....never worked on an ac unit....hahaha sry i cant help

3afan
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM

i've driven a Ford truck (3 of 'em) since 1986 --- 100% satisfied!

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 10:07 PM
my AC is my car was doing the same thing. There were some times when the unit was not working at all...no blowing...no nothing! I thought the gear on the compressor was going out....as did a couple of mechanics and come to find out I was just low on freon. (spell) Mine is a 2002 and there is a sensor there that kicks the unit off when it gets low on freon.