PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush to re-enter next years draft?

Emerson1
07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a holdout with the New Orleans Saints, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

It seems unlikely the Saints will do that in time for Bush to report to training camp with the team on Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent.

On Wednesday, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters.

One of the sources took that a step further, saying Segal was considering not having Bush sign at all. Segal declined to comment when contacted Friday and messages left with multiple members of the New Orleans organization weren't returned.

While it appears unlikely on face value that Bush would sit out, he appears well-positioned to do so if he really wants.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

Next, Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.

Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans.

Bush has also worked hard to endear himself to fans in the city after it came out that he didn't want to play in New Orleans. Bush has made multiple donations to hurricane relief.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjFTMKF9fiMr5NxVlCydZTxDubYF?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If he did do this(which he likely won't) does he really think he would go #1. Sitting our a year and showing you are a selfish idiot doesn't bump you up to the #1 pick. I hope he gets arrested or something and is picked as Mr. Irrelevent in 07's draft.

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 01:03 PM
another reason i cant stand Reggie Bush. What a freaking idiot

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:04 PM
if this is true he might be the biggest baby drafted since Eli Manning.

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 01:10 PM
has Bush been paid anything by the Saints yet? How has he been able to make all these donations to Hurricane Katrina relief?

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:11 PM
5 mil in endorsements.

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
5 mil in endorsements.

well...is footall not like basketball? If he has been paid money can he re-enter the draft. I know you cant in basketball can you?

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:13 PM
he couldnt reenter college but the pros dont care that he is getting bucks.

kaorder1999
07-23-2006, 01:14 PM
he couldnt reenter college but the pros dont care that he is getting bucks.

gotcha...i was under the impression that he wouldnt be able to re-enter the draft. oh well. Who cares....hes an idiot

Emerson1
07-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Step 1 to him being a bust in the NFL.

District303aPastPlayer
07-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
well...is footall not like basketball? If he has been paid money can he re-enter the draft. I know you cant in basketball can you?

you can in basketball... the guys overseas are pro's, and are paid. they enter the draft. he hasnt been paid money by an NFL franchise, so theoretically... he is still an amatuer football player.

District303aPastPlayer
07-23-2006, 01:17 PM
and he wants more money than Mario Williams got this year. which is bananas....

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:18 PM
He should ahve been the first pick for the Texans but he was not even close to the best palyer in college football last season. He won the heisman based on one games performance and they should have lost that game.

District303aPastPlayer
07-23-2006, 01:19 PM
He should ahve been the first pick for the Texans but he was not even close to the best palyer in college football last season. He won the heisman based on one games performance and they should have lost that game.

are you talking about his 500 all purpose yard game vs Fresno State?

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:22 PM
yes i am. VInce Young could have obliterated that defense. It was the onyl defense i saw that was as bad as USC's (excluding Tech of course).

Emerson1
07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
He won because of ESPN's hype. The reggie bush highlight video is less than 30 seconds long, the same 5 plays are shown over and over and he is the most overrated return man in the NFL now.

gobbler grad
07-23-2006, 01:47 PM
if this is true he might be the biggest baby drafted since Eli Manning.

my thoughts exactly...

big daddy russ
07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
I hate to say I told you so (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44134&highlight=reggie+bush), but I had a feeling that this guy would be a bust. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44553&highlight=reggie+bush)

Step 1: skipping out on camp. It's hell on rookies, and most never recover after falling behind.

Special athlete? Absolutely.

Special NFL player? It won't happen.

Good move, Charlie.

AggieJohn
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
go vince young

(thought i would never say that)

griff
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
This should be a good reminder to many people who were upset at the Texans for not drafting Bush. The Texans made an offer to Bush which incuded an incredibly high signing bonus, ($26 million, I believe) and Bush insisted on more ($30 million, if I recall) . The Texans must have known this guy was heading for a holdout no matter what they offered. That's not the kind of start a losing team with a new head coach needs heading into the season.

This is one reason why I'm glad they drafted Mario Williams. He will turn out to be every bit the defensive player the Texans need. Houston's gain...New Orleans' loss.

big daddy russ
07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by griff
This should be a good reminder to many people who were upset at the Texans for not drafting Bush. The Texans made an offer to Bush which incuded an incredibly high signing bonus, ($26 million, I believe) and Bush insisted on more ($30 million, if I recall) . The Texans must have known this guy was heading for a holdout no matter what they offered. That's not the kind of start a losing team with a new head coach needs heading into the season.

This is one reason why I'm glad they drafted Mario Williams. He will turn out to be every bit the defensive player the Texans need. Houston's gain...New Orleans' loss. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cameron Crazy
07-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
another reason i cant stand Reggie Bush. What a freaking idiot Yup!

PHS Wildcats
07-23-2006, 03:17 PM
So happy the Texas did get him

STANG RED
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I cant imagine the companies that have paid him that $5million in endorsements can be too happy about this either.
I hope it all blows up in his/his agents faces.
What team in their right mind would want to take a chance on him with a high draft choice next year?

maestro
07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
If this is true, it is a darn shame.

Bad agent advice?????

heck, you're in the league.....getting paid good money....

Have the town of new orleans behind you.....

good grief.......

that's why most of the time i'm a college athletic fan.......and the BUSINESS of NBA and NFL just turns me off.

sahen
07-23-2006, 09:23 PM
so glad the texans didnt take him if he does that...

tigerpride_08
07-23-2006, 09:34 PM
that is a idiot move...now he cares about the money when he said he was hoping to turn it around over there...

IHStangFan
07-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Step 1 to him being a bust in the NFL. yup

Phil C
07-24-2006, 07:53 AM
I think the Texans are still going to look foolish not drafting Vince Young but they may look like geniuses by passing on Reggie Bush.

Phil C
07-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Now maybe New Orleans was foolish to not draft Vince Young.

Phil C
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
The serious thing about Bush that would worry me is that he takes to the air a lot. Just look at some of his highlights or even the td he scored against us in the Rose Bowl. Calvin Hill used to do that when he was in the NFL and he always had nagging injuries especially at the end of the season and in playoffs when they really needed him. Jim Brown said Calvin was great but he risked too much to injury by going into the air. He was right. Reggie better stay close to the ground with those NFL defenders.

BTEXDAD
07-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

From what I understand, HUGE majority of season ticket sales were done by corporations. Not a lot of individuals purchasing tickets.
Corporations were told unless they stepped up to put some money in for team, the team would be moving.
A lot of season tickets sold, but unless tickets are just given away every week, there won't be many people in stands. That's no way to build/maintain fan base.
Not looking good for the big easy.

JasperDog94
07-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Do you think he's doing this so he won't have to play for NO?

htowntransplant
07-24-2006, 09:08 AM
more like the big "uneasy"...and i dont mean that insensitively...things have been hard for that city, and to read all the stuff about the state of that franchise combined with how reggie bush is acting, i would just be sad as a saints fan. as if new orleans residents arent already angry and depressed, the one and only thing (other than the NBA hornets) that those people have to turn to to find relaxation and enjoyment and that may not even be around much longer. reggie bush ought to just help his image by accepting a contract and giving the people of NO something to get excited about.

Keith7
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
didn't elway sit out a year or something?? Is he a selfish idiot??

Bull Butter
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Elway didn't sit out a year, but he told the Colts if they drafted him, he'd play baseball instead. Colts drafted him anyway but traded him to Denver almost immediately.

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
didn't elway sit out a year or something?? Is he a selfish idiot??
No, he did what Eli Manning did-- wouldn't play for the first team that picked him (he was drafted by the Colts). A lot of times, teams pick players that don't fit into their system and Elway realized that the Colts' system and the direction of the franchise didn't fit with his abilities. So he refused to play for them, forcing them to trade him to Denver. The rest is history.

You may have been thinking of Jim Kelly. He sat out a year or two and played in the USFL. So did Herschel Walker, Reggie White, and Steve Young. The deal there is that there was a market for their services elsewhere and they chose it.

I'm not saying that RB is a low-character guy by any stretch of the imagination. All I'm saying is that rookies need to be in camp, especially one who will be used in as many different ways as Bush. He's one of those guys who will be more of an 'athlete' than a RB. A lot like Rocket Ismail and Desmond Howard were supposed to be.

My biggest knock on RB is that he will have to make his living on the outside. He can't create his own hole like an Emmitt Smith, a Shaun Alexander, or a Jerome Bettis. He's not an inside runner, and the outside has been closed for business in the NFL for the last 30 years. Well, except for Barry Sanders.

Look at Tiki Barber. Sure, he may not be the athlete that RB is, but he came into the league as a back who needed sweeps and pitches to be effective. He was supposed to be the lightning to Ron Dayne's thunder. Well Dayne never panned out, so Barber bulked up learned to run inside. Look at what it did for him last year.

The Texans are smart for not taking Bush. They gave a contract to him and Williams, found out that Bush would be difficult to negotiate with, and went with Williams, who was a better football choice in the first place. Bush would've been a lateral move for the team.

Phil C
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Elway didn't sit out a year, but he told the Colts if they drafted him, he'd play baseball instead. Colts drafted him anyway but traded him to Denver almost immediately.

The thing is that the Colts didn't get enough for him and they suffered for many years for that goof up.

Keith7
07-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
No, he did what Eli Manning did-- wouldn't play for the first team that picked him (he was drafted by the Colts). A lot of times, teams pick players that don't fit into their system and Elway realized that the Colts' system and the direction of the franchise didn't fit with his abilities. So he refused to play for them, forcing them to trade him to Denver. The rest is history.

You may have been thinking of Jim Kelly. He sat out a year or two and played in the USFL. So did Herschel Walker, Reggie White, and Steve Young. The deal there is that there was a market for their services elsewhere and they chose it.

I'm not saying that RB is a low-character guy by any stretch of the imagination. All I'm saying is that rookies need to be in camp, especially one who will be used in as many different ways as Bush. He's one of those guys who will be more of an 'athlete' than a RB. A lot like Rocket Ismail and Desmond Howard were supposed to be.

My biggest knock on RB is that he will have to make his living on the outside. He can't create his own hole like an Emmitt Smith, a Shaun Alexander, or a Jerome Bettis. He's not an inside runner, and the outside has been closed for business in the NFL for the last 30 years. Well, except for Barry Sanders.

Look at Tiki Barber. Sure, he may not be the athlete that RB is, but he came into the league as a back who needed sweeps and pitches to be effective. He was supposed to be the lightning to Ron Dayne's thunder. Well Dayne never panned out, so Barber bulked up learned to run inside. Look at what it did for him last year.

The Texans are smart for not taking Bush. They gave a contract to him and Williams, found out that Bush would be difficult to negotiate with, and went with Williams, who was a better football choice in the first place. Bush would've been a lateral move for the team.

Reggie Bush should just sit out a year and play arena football

JasperDog94
07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
didn't elway sit out a year or something?? Is he a selfish idiot?? Elway may not have sat out a year, but yes he is a selfish idiot. You play for the team that drafts you. Period.

big daddy russ
07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Elway may not have sat out a year, but yes he is a selfish idiot. You play for the team that drafts you. Period.
You know what, let's divide this into a two-part answer.

Selfish? Definitely.

Idiot? Heck no.

Would you want to play QB for the Texans next year? I think I'll put off the weekly CAT Scans.

Sweetwater Red
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You know what, let's divide this into a two-part answer.

Selfish? Definitely.

Idiot? Heck no.

Would you want to play QB for the Texans next year? I think I'll put off the weekly CAT Scans.

True.

You can't argue his courage (Carr). At the snap of every pass play he
is running for his life.

District303aPastPlayer
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Elway may not have sat out a year, but yes he is a selfish idiot. You play for the team that drafts you. Period.

ask JD Drew about re-entering the draft and how its working out for him

Adidas410s
07-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Reggie Bush should just sit out a year and play arena football

I hear the Toronto Argonauts (sp) need a new RB now...

Phil C
07-24-2006, 11:50 AM
John Elway didn't want to go to the Colts. They should have drafted Eric Dickerson or Jim Kelly.