PDA

View Full Version : Houston Drivers

mac77
07-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Last evening, I was driving home down US 59 through Sugarland and I realized why I hate going into Houston so much! Drivers in Houston think they are the only people on the road. From the guy on the Tollway buzzing through traffic going about 90mph to the lady on her cell phone who nearly takes the front end off of her car trying to squeeze back into the lane after going around people who are waiting patiently.

I have driven in all the largest cities in Texas and even lived and drove in Seoul, Korea for over 5 years. I mention Seoul because Koreans have a very high traffic fatality rate. In all these cities, only in Houston are there drivers that are oblivious to what's going on around them. Hell, even in Seoul, when the idiot cuts you off, he at least aknowledges you. Folks in Houston don't even seem to realize that anyone else is around. I don't care what you do, just look at me, flip me off, or OMG, even apologize!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

kepdawg
07-22-2006, 01:10 PM
DFW isn't any better!

Bull Butter
07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I've driven in all the major cities too, and I don't think Houston drivers are that much worse than anywhere else. It's just that there's so darned many of them!:mad:

Gobbla2001
07-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I've driven in every major city myself and yes those Houston drivers are bad...

It seems every time I drive in Houston there is only one good driver on the road..... and that'd be me :D

SWMustang
07-22-2006, 01:22 PM
houston drivers acknowledge you - with a one finger salute! One of the few places where someone's dumb driving almost causes an accident and they have the nerve to flip off the responsible drivers. I personally believe Austin drivers are far more aggressive than the Houston variety.

Gobbla2001
07-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Aw heck yah... Austin drivers are very aggressive, I am too when I drive in that place though...

But I know my surroundings...

Maroon87
07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I live in Houston and yes some of the drivers are pretty bad. I especially can't stand the ones that don't use their turn signals and won't let you over on the freeway when you're signaling that you need to exit...:mad:

mac77
07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
I hear ya Maroon!
I hope you are not one of those drivers who is in the far left lane and suddenly realizes his exit is coming up. I watched one yesterday who made his exit from the left lane in about 50 feet of travel!

My point of all this is that I'm considerate and if they would just turn on their blinker, roll down their window and wave their hand, and at least say thanks when I let you in, it would be great for everyone. Jeez, some common courtesy would work wonders!

Maroon87
07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mac77
I hear ya Maroon!
I hope you are not one of those drivers who is in the far left lane and suddenly realizes his exit is coming up. I watched one yesterday who made his exit from the left lane in about 50 feet of travel!

LOL no I've never done that but I've seen it plenty of times...:eek:

We were watching that high speed chase on TV yesterday and one of my co-workers said "The only difference between that guy and most other Houston drivers is that the cops are chasing him.":D :clap:

AggieJohn
07-22-2006, 01:58 PM
you think 59 is bad during the day, try at night

injuredinmelee
07-22-2006, 02:09 PM
DFW is the worst place I have driven in my life.

sinton3055
07-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I feel the pain, I have lived in houston for over a year and they can't drive. I have hit 2 cars from the back lol but nothing was ever done they probably didn't have insurance. Good thing I live outside the beltway in Jersy Village, I love my side of town.

DU_stud04
07-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
DFW isn't any better!

dfw is a breeze to drive in rather than houston, ill stick with the traffic here if i had an option.

kepdawg
07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
dfw is a breeze to drive in rather than houston, ill stick with the traffic here if i had an option.

I guess that makes one person that likes it. I've only driven in Houston a dozen times or so and never had any problems. Driving in the DFW mess everyday I have problems everyday.

injuredinmelee
07-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by mac77
I hear ya Maroon!

My point of all this is that I'm considerate and if they would just turn on their blinker, roll down their window and wave their hand, and at least say thanks when I let you in, it would be great for everyone. Jeez, some common courtesy would work wonders!

that was probably my brother. He is easily the worst driver in Harris County.

sahen
07-23-2006, 01:40 AM
im a houston driver....i guess we have some crazy traffic but i learned to drive in it so it doesnt bother me too much, you just have to remember to be aggressive and have a car that no one wants to hit...oh yah and u need to know what time to travel places, it helps if you arent taking off through houston at peak traffic hours...it sure makes driving in the rest of the state easy though :)