PDA

View Full Version : Interstate 35

CalallenWildcat
07-22-2006, 09:36 AM
So we were going up to Fort Worth on Thursday and we get just north of Temple. All of a sudden we see brake lights in front of us...well they had closed every lane of I-35 except for one, for a stretch of oh, about 8 miles or so, then they reopen the entire interstate. For about 10 miles. Then they have another stretch down to one lane for about 5 miles. Then, we get north of Waco and almost to Hillsboro, and the interstate is torn up again. At the fork of 35E and 35W, there is no warning leading up to it. Just all of a sudden, the road forks. Oh yeah, there's signs but there at a point where you can't see them at night until you already commit to one of the forks.

So my complaints...
1) Why not shut down one stretch of the interstate and get work done on that, then move on towards the north?
2) Why CAN'T PEOPLE DRIVE slowly and safely in construction? One guy in a U-Haul almost rolled his vehicle over because he was getting onto the on-ramp so fast and then he had to stop quickly to avoid hitting anyone in the backup
3) Why aren't there signs at one of the most important freeway intersections in the state?

District303aPastPlayer
07-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
So we were going up to Fort Worth on Thursday and we get just north of Temple. All of a sudden we see brake lights in front of us...well they had closed every lane of I-35 except for one, for a stretch of oh, about 8 miles or so, then they reopen the entire interstate. For about 10 miles. Then they have another stretch down to one lane for about 5 miles. Then, we get north of Waco and almost to Hillsboro, and the interstate is torn up again. At the fork of 35E and 35W, there is no warning leading up to it. Just all of a sudden, the road forks. Oh yeah, there's signs but there at a point where you can't see them at night until you already commit to one of the forks.

So my complaints...
1) Why not shut down one stretch of the interstate and get work done on that, then move on towards the north?
2) Why CAN'T PEOPLE DRIVE slowly and safely in construction? One guy in a U-Haul almost rolled his vehicle over because he was getting onto the on-ramp so fast and then he had to stop quickly to avoid hitting anyone in the backup
3) Why aren't there signs at one of the most important freeway intersections in the state?

because all of those make too much sense...

CalallenWildcat
07-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
because all of those make too much sense...

Yeah, you're right...what is wrong with people today? LOL no common sense at all!

piratebg
07-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I went through I35 between Austin and Temple a couple of months ago, and the traffic was horrendous. All of the construction and lane closures only led to traffic accidents that closed more lanes. Sometimes I think TXDOT has no brain.

Matthew328
07-22-2006, 11:18 PM
the interchange in Hillsboro were 35 splits going northbound and merges going southbound was in bad need of being redone..traffic was getting bad at the interchange there....I was coming home from Waco last week and I noticed how bad it was and how there aren't any signs telling you the right lane is for I-35E heading to Dallas and the left lane is for I-35W to Ft. Worth...lucky for me I have drove that road enough to know to stay left when heading to Ft Worth....I can easily see how someone who doesn't drvie that road often could get confused...

Driving I-35 from DFW to Austin or San Antonio is a beating either way most of the time..about 7 different snag spots you can hit....

CalallenWildcat
07-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
the interchange in Hillsboro were 35 splits going northbound and merges going southbound was in bad need of being redone..traffic was getting bad at the interchange there....I was coming home from Waco last week and I noticed how bad it was and how there aren't any signs telling you the right lane is for I-35E heading to Dallas and the left lane is for I-35W to Ft. Worth...lucky for me I have drove that road enough to know to stay left when heading to Ft Worth....I can easily see how someone who doesn't drvie that road often could get confused...

Driving I-35 from DFW to Austin or San Antonio is a beating either way most of the time..about 7 different snag spots you can hit....

Oh, I know that left is FW and right is Dallas, but they didn't even have the distance to the interchange marked, so I was in the far right lane and all of a sudden the road split, I had to cross to the far other side of the road to go to FW, luckily there was a strange lack of traffic. It was too dark to see the interchange until you were actually in it

sahen
07-22-2006, 11:32 PM
yah 35 has been crappy lately, you should see the traffic get backed up in Waco when they work on the road there....they do the whole close all but one lane thing, it can get pretty bad...

Fal44
07-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Hopefully My family and I dont get backed up into to much traffic.. heading up north

sinfan75
07-23-2006, 08:06 AM
I went to Denton last Sunday and the traffic was surprisingly light.Now coming back was a different story. I guess everyone decided to head south at the same time. I don't know why they don't just make 35 six lanes from Austin to the 35 split.

LH Panther Mom
07-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
So we were going up to Fort Worth on Thursday and we get just north of Temple.
You're lucky that you made it all the way to Temple without getting jammed up. Any time I have to use 35, especially in the early evening (rush hour time), I usually have to add an hour to my predicted drive time, depending on where I'm going. :doh:

Phil C
07-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I can understand your frustration. I remember years ago when they paved the streets in Freer and later in Kingsville they would just tear up all the streets and then pave them and of course this resulted in delays by rain which would also cause messes. I moved to Tyler for a few years and the way they did it there is they would tear up one road and then repave it usually all within the same day or two.

Aesculus gilmus
07-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Texas Segment of NAFTA Super Highway Nears Construction

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15682

Read this article. Then you'll know why they are not going to do any more improvement of I-35.

By the year 2010 or so, TPTB will announce that we are now to be known as the North American Union (analogous to the European Union) with a new currency called the Amero. This is why, IMHO, they are not serious about border enforcement. To them, there ARE NO BORDERS between the three NAFTA countries.

Ranger Mom
07-23-2006, 10:11 AM
When I was in the DFW area last week, I didn't have any trouble with I-35.

My "Map Quest" map didn't have the turns have the entrances/exits that I needed marked like they actually were on the freeways though.

I got to spend a dollar to drive into DFW airport and turn around and leave.

Their charges are $1 for 8 minutes to an hour. They must time that crap, I took the very first "leave the airport" exit and it took me 9 minutes to get back.

At that point I was going back the way I came from with no idea where I had gone wrong....I found a sign that said Arlington, so I just followed that and found my way.

I can't believe how many new roads and mixmasters were there just since I went to the State Championship games at Tx Stadium in December.