PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 18

Phil C
07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
The race today is fairly flat and expects a sprinter to win at the end. There is a group of escapees right now that are 3'20" ahead of the peloton and I expect them to be caught. It looks like the contenders are satisfied to ride in the peloton and fight it out tomorrow as predicted by the experts but there could be an escape at the end. We will see. But right now it looks like the race will be decided tomorrow.

Adidas410s
07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
let's go Floyd!!!

Phil C
07-21-2006, 09:19 AM
McEwen is now at the front of the peloton and is waving at the other riders to not ride so close together. He is right of course. We don't need any accidents today. Right now the escapees are 4"25" ahead of them with about 25 miles to go. I think the peloton has a good chance to catch them though. We will see.

Phil C
07-21-2006, 09:19 AM
It is hard to believe that the Tour is almost over as it finishes up this coming Sunday.

Adidas410s
07-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
It is hard to believe that the Tour is almost over as it finishes up this coming Sunday.

sad times indeed...:(

at least TCM is 24/7/365 for ya! ;)

Phil C
07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Levi Leipheimer and Inaki Isasi are riding together about 20" ahead of the other escapees. They are 4'40" ahead of the peloton with about 22 miles to go. I still feel the peloton will make an effort to catch them soon. Levi was considered a contender at the start of the race but has had bad luck and is out of the race as far as the yellow jersey is concerned but still he would like to win a stage which is probably what he is trying for. Landis will be satisfied if everything stays the same today for the top leaders and fight it out tomorrow in the time trials where he is outstanding. McEwen and the sprinters would like to catch all the escapees and have one last bit of glory at the Tour. We will see. Excitement indeed.

Phil C
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Leipheimer and Isasi are caught by the other escapees with about 12 miles left so it looks like this group is going to fight for the stage win. The peloton is about 6 minutes behind and I am surprised that they didn't pick up the pace to catch them because now they may close the gap but I don't think they will catch them. The main contenders are satisfied so far to stay with the peloton even though there might be a sprint near the end to gain a few seconds but I don't think so.

Phil C
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Moreini, Tosatto & Scholtz are about 40 seconds ahead of the other escapees and about 8'25" ahead of the peloton. They are withing 10 miles of the finish line. Hang on to your hats!!

pirate4state
07-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Moreini, Tosatto & Scholtz are about 40 seconds ahead of the other escapees and about 8'25" ahead of the peloton. They are withing 10 miles of the finish line. Hang on to your hats!! :clap: :clap: I'm not wearing a hat!!! :(

Phil C
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
It looks like those three riders are going to fight it out at the end as they are now about 2 miles from the finish and 40" ahead of the rest of the escapees. The peloton is still over 8 minutes behind so it looks like they are satisfied with taking it easy and resting for tomorrow.

Phil C
07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
The escapees have crossed the finish line. The winner of the stage is Metteo Tosatto with Christian Moreni second and Ronny Scholtz third. We now await the peloton. A thriller indeed.

Phil C
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
The peloton is home now and everything is the same with the main contenders as expected.

turbostud
07-21-2006, 10:52 AM
The win is there for Landis to take if he wants its in the Time Trial. He is the better Time Trialist of the top 3 and should have no problem winning the TdF if nothing unusual happens.