PDA

View Full Version : I don't meant to stir the pot...

KTJ
07-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I've been reading on a few websites that the Kinne's weren't that well liked in Canton and that he and his dad caused a lot of problems? The word "jerks" and "a*****es" get thrown around a lot.

Anyone? Anything?

IHStangFan
07-20-2006, 11:44 PM
I have no facts on the subject, but it wouldn't suprise me either....there are aholes everywhere you look these days.

sahen
07-20-2006, 11:46 PM
i dont know anything but they are liked in the Baylor community....actually Kinne Jr. hasnt really been around the baylor community long enough to have an opinion about but most of the baylor family considers Kinne Sr. a standup guy....

Emerson1
07-20-2006, 11:48 PM
I've heard the samething.

eagles_victory
07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
If you remember everyone said Canton showed no class at all when Tatum knocked them out last year.

Emerson1
07-20-2006, 11:51 PM
I was gonna mention that, they racked up 45 yds of penalties on in 1 play and a player took a refs flag and threw it around.

KTJ
07-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I was gonna mention that, they racked up 45 yds of penalties on in 1 play and a player took a refs flag and threw it around.

Wow.

The community didn't see an issue with that?

IHStangFan
07-21-2006, 12:21 AM
sounds like it may be the other way 'round then?

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2006, 12:43 AM
I was broadcasting for Canton in Kinne's first year as HC for Canton and remained pretty close to the situation when I was working for Lone Star Teams because we were based in Canton.

Here is my take.

Canton is a strange town. They are NOT a football town in the middle of football crazy East Texas. They are a band and back then Girls Basketball town. The Band has won state titles, and when Kinne first started the Girls B-Ball team was a powerhouse who just could not get by Winnsboro( not many could).

When Kinne SR came in, he did so with the DFW 5A mentality of coaching. Canton was not use to that and IMO was a shock to the system. Canton over the years always seemed to have solid players, but to be honest the pure passion for football just was not there.

He tried to change that, and he did so with honestly very little tact. He is a pure old school coach for good or bad. So he was they type of coach you either hated or loved. I do know for a fact 95% of the players would have run thru a wall twice for him. They loved him/hated him, just like I did with my coach when I played, and alot of players and ex-players know what I mean.

The fact he he started his son as a frshman QB did not help with the community either.

The whole Kinne coached a thug team and allowed them to act that way is not an easy thing to really pin point. I have talked to MANY Canton fans who say that has been an element in the Canton programs for a good while, but since they never won, no one aid attention. Others say it was all Kinne. I honestly think it was a little of both.

Again Kinne coached in 5A in Dallas..things are just done different. Not saying it is good or bad, but I have broadcast MANY DFW games where things happen that is/was as bad as anything Canton did, and nothing is really said after the game. It is chalked up to, in the moment type of action and such.

I think ANY head coach will look back at his first HC position and say there were thngs I would have done different. I think one day Kinne SR might do that.

He came in loud, brash, and full of the belief he could take Canton and make them a good team, and he did. One thing people forget is that in his three years, they had a winning record every year, and were 5-2 in the play-offs with both losses coming to Tatum.

So it is a which would have been better..him being how hewas and his team taking on that attitude and believing they could actually win, or him being dialing it down and the community liking him more.

I always felt he was out of place in a town like Canton. I think he was made to coach either in College, or at a bigger school. I honestly just dont think his personality fit in a town that is not a football crazy town.

And in closing, for all the talk of how he was hated, Canton fans came out in droves when they started winning.

As for his son, I can only talk about my dealings with him, and he has always been very nice and cordial, but he has that gleem in his eye that star QBs have. The I know I can win type of attitude.

injuredinmelee
07-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I was broadcasting for Canton in Kinne's first year as HC for Canton and remained pretty close to the situation when I was working for Lone Star Teams because we were based in Canton.

Here is my take.

Canton is a strange town. They are NOT a football town in the middle of football crazy East Texas. They are a band and back then Girls Basketball town. The Band has won state titles, and when Kinne first started the Girls B-Ball team was a powerhouse who just could not get by Winnsboro( not many could).

When Kinne SR came in, he did so with the DFW 5A mentality of coaching. Canton was not use to that and IMO was a shock to the system. Canton over the years always seemed to have solid players, but to be honest the pure passion for football just was not there.

He tried to change that, and he did so with honestly very little tact. He is a pure old school coach for good or bad. So he was they type of coach you either hated or loved. I do know for a fact 95% of the players would have run thru a wall twice for him. They loved him/hated him, just like I did with my coach when I played, and alot of players and ex-players know what I mean.

The fact he he started his son as a frshman QB did not help with the community either.

The whole Kinne coached a thug team and allowed them to act that way is not an easy thing to really pin point. I have talked to MANY Canton fans who say that has been an element in the Canton programs for a good while, but since they never won, no one aid attention. Others say it was all Kinne. I honestly think it was a little of both.

Again Kinne coached in 5A in Dallas..things are just done different. Not saying it is good or bad, but I have broadcast MANY DFW games where things happen that is/was as bad as anything Canton did, and nothing is really said after the game. It is chalked up to, in the moment type of action and such.

I think ANY head coach will look back at his first HC position and say there were thngs I would have done different. I think one day Kinne SR might do that.

He came in loud, brash, and full of the belief he could take Canton and make them a good team, and he did. One thing people forget is that in his three years, they had a winning record every year, and were 5-2 in the play-offs with both losses coming to Tatum.

So it is a which would have been better..him being how hewas and his team taking on that attitude and believing they could actually win, or him being dialing it down and the community liking him more.

I always felt he was out of place in a town like Canton. I think he was made to coach either in College, or at a bigger school. I honestly just dont think his personality fit in a town that is not a football crazy town.

And in closing, for all the talk of how he was hated, Canton fans came out in droves when they started winning.

As for his son, I can only talk about my dealings with him, and he has always been very nice and cordial, but he has that gleem in his eye that star QBs have. The I know I can win type of attitude.

well done.

injuredinmelee
07-21-2006, 12:52 AM
classy even. Phil will be proud.

Fal44
07-21-2006, 01:17 AM

Here is my take.

Great post man I read it from star to finish..

District303aPastPlayer
07-21-2006, 04:11 AM
im going to agree with you on this... i have heard from different sources on different boards that in Gilmer, GJ isnt really in the running for Prom King if you know what i mean. From the word i have recieved, he isnt that well liked as everyone would have you believe. But its just rumours like everything else we post on this board.

Ranger Mom
07-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Wasn't that thrown by that second Canton kid that transferred to Gilmer??

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Wasn't that thrown by that second Canton kid that transferred to Gilmer?? that would be correct:doh:

injuredinmelee
07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
has that transfer been approved?

JasperDog94
07-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
has that transfer been approved? Does a bear poop in the woods?

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
has that transfer been approved? not that i am aware of.

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Gobbla2001
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Does a bear poop in the woods?

When it comes to the subject of Gilmer, your posts crack me up...

A town that isn't a football town really doesn't show too much respect for their coaches, and a town that is a football town will show less if you make your son the star...

That's just how it goes... A coach can do what he can to get his kids to want to win and act respectful, but those guys are individuals so they'll do what they do, I'm pretty sure he wasn't happy about the flag throwing etc...

chit happens...

Txbroadcaster
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
When it comes to the subject of Gilmer, your posts crack me up...

A town that isn't a football town really doesn't show too much respect for their coaches, and a town that is a football town will show less if you make your son the star...

That's just how it goes... A coach can do what he can to get his kids to want to win and act respectful, but those guys are individuals so they'll do what they do, I'm pretty sure he wasn't happy about the flag throwing etc...

chit happens...

not sure he "made" his son a star..it is not like Canton had a QB coming back who was as good or better. Until Kinne Canton had been a run fisrt second and third down type of team. He actually would have preferred Kinne Jr start on defense his freshman year then make move to QB( for those that dont know Jr IMO will be a college safety before he is a college QB), but they did not have a QB that could run the spread, so he started his son a year early than he wanted.

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
not sure he "made" his son a star..

That's not what I meant at all, but a town that isn't a football town doesn't like seeing a coach show favoritism... though he was most-likely not showing favoritism here, the community can look at such things through their preferred color of glasses, which is most cases is not the color the coach looks through... meaning the community saw it the way it really wasn't... the best choice just happened to be the coach's son...

Old Tiger
07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Does a bear poop in the woods? Didn't you watch Without a Paddle?

Gobbla2001
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Didn't you watch Without a Paddle?

Wow, would any of you consider "Does a bear poop in the woods?" as a cliche???

I consider "Without a Paddle" as a cliche.... So if both are cliches, a cliche was responded to with a cliche...

BINGO, it should be a new "Whose Line is it Anyway" game... :D

JasperDog94
07-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
BINGO, it should be a new "Whose Line is it Anyway" game... :D I'm in!:)