PDA

View Full Version : The 3ADL Game of the Year

Adidas410s
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Now we get into the first of the major awards to be handed out in the next week or so.

Special thanks to poster from Gilmer, Cuero, and Hutto for helping direct me gather this information.

The finalists for 3ADL Game of the Year are...

Canton 61 vs Gilmer 58

In a game involving two completely different football traditions, the Canton Eagles shocked the defending state champion Gilmer Buckeyes 61-58 at TMF Rose Stadium in Tyler. Canton quarterback G.J. Kinne threw a touchdown pass to Houston Tuminello in the final minute to give the Eagles their game-winning points. The two teams, who combined for the third-highest scoring playoff game in Texas history (119), also combined for just under 1,200 yards in total offense. Both teams also combined to score seven touchdowns in the third-quarter. Canton rallied from down 14, 15, and 16-points throughout the game. Kinne threw for 432 yards and five touchdowns, and Tuminello finished with 202-yards receiving.

Cuero 21 vs Hutto 23

Down 21-20 in the closing seconds Saturday, the Hutto Hippos placed their season on the foot of senior kicker Jose Diaz and watched as his 24-yard field goal sailed through the uprights to give Hutto a 23-21 victory over the Cuero Gobblers. Down twice in the second half, the Hippos rallied both times to regain the lead and eventually come away with the win.

The Gobblers had 158 yards rushing and 183 passing for 339 yards of total offense.Olguin led Cuero in rushing yards with 84 on 18 carries, while Noack had 59 on nine carries and Latrael Cooper had 15 yards on three carries.Noack was 11-27 passing for 183 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

The Hippos' entire 278 yards of offense came on the ground, led by Kerley with 130 yards on 16 carries. Wampler had 98 yards on 21 carries and Jerrick Gauthier had 45 yards on 11 carries.

Tatum 38 vs Hutto 34

Hutto High School's Cinderella ride through the 3A football playoffs came to an end at Texas Stadium Saturday, where they were outscored 38-34 in a tough battle by the Tatum Eagles in the state title game.

A game that belonged to the Hippos but for a 30-second stretch late in the first half, a few bad breaks became the downfall of a Hutto squad that put up quite a fight against a team that, by some accounts, has as many as five NCAA Division I recruits.
With two teams that had given up less than 16 points per game in the playoffs this post season, a game that could have easily been a defensive struggle turned out to be a back-and-forth offensive shootout with the teams combining to gain more than 800 yards of total offense.
The Hippos picked up 372 yards of total offense in the game, 336 rushing and 36 through the air. Gauthier added 86 yards on 12 carries, Kerley had 15 yards on 10 carries and Ryan Dominguez had 11 yards on one carry.

The Eagles picked up 440 yards of total offense, led by Creer with 158 rushing yards. Pollard was 5-8 passing for 94 yards and two touchdowns.

For Hutto, it was the end of spectacular playoff run that saw the Hippos knock off the No. 6, No. 3 and No. 1 teams in the state.

Other nominees were: Wylie vs Gainesville, Wylie vs Canyon, Bridgeport vs Monahans, and Sweetwater vs Iowa Park

big daddy russ
07-20-2006, 05:09 PM
If it's not Canton/Gilmer, we're doing away with this award next year. We'll know it's rigged.

injuredinmelee
07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I am writing in Wylie/Gville. Of course i didnt see any of the three that are nominated.

And as far as first of the Major awards... I already won that one.

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 08:20 AM
These are all great games. My deal is, when i left the Canton/Gilmer I was in awe. I was sad because we had lost, but i knew in my heart i had just witnessed something special. Unbelievably, there were some big defensive plays in the game also. I also saw what a warrior young Kinne was. He just refused to let his team lose.

Adidas410s
07-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
These are all great games. My deal is, when i left the Canton/Gilmer I was in awe. I was sad because we had lost, but i knew in my heart i had just witnessed something special. Unbelievably, there were some big defensive plays in the game also. I also saw what a warrior oyung Kinne was. He just refused to let his team lose.

I must say...that is exactly how I felt leaving the Wylie/Gainesville game. It was like "yeah we had lost...but man I just witnessed a great football game that included a play that I may never see again when Case Keenum hurdled a Gainesville on his way in for a touchdown in the 4th quarter." I may have to find the thread on here that has the link that radio call...it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it! :D

pirate4state
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I must say...that is exactly how I felt leaving the Wylie/Gainesville game. It was like "yeah we had lost...but man I just witnessed a great football game that included a play that I may never see again when Case Keenum hurdled a Gainesville on his way in for a touchdown in the 4th quarter." I may have to find the thread on here that has the link that radio call...it still gives me goose bumps thinking about it! :D Is there a video anywhere?? I mean if it was a great play I don't want to listen to it...I want to see it!!! :)

Sweetwater Red
07-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not going to vote because I didn't get to see any of those
games. Bridgeport vs. Monahans was good but was really a
case of poor defense by BP and Monahans not having an
answer for Colin Jones.
Sweetwater vs. Iowa Park was the best game I saw last year.

Adidas410s
07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Is there a video anywhere?? I mean if it was a great play I don't want to listen to it...I want to see it!!! :)

I've never been able to find one. Obviously the coaches have film on it..

Here is that audio clip...

http://mmslb.eonstreams.com/b/krrp/keenum.wma

injuredinmelee
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
thre wasnt anyone in Texas Stadium that night that wouldnt tell you that play was amazing znd beautiful. I think alot of peope had a whole new level of respect for the type of athlete that Case is.

Gobbla2001
07-21-2006, 12:07 PM
I dunno which way to go, only saw one of those games and it was a doozy...

3afan
07-21-2006, 02:14 PM
all of those games are NON-DISTRICT ... in essence they are just practice games ---- IMO you should have selected district games

kaorder1999
07-21-2006, 02:16 PM
gilmer will beat Canton by 50 so why is that considered one?

LH Panther Mom
07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
all of those games are NON-DISTRICT ... in essence they are just practice games ---- IMO you should have selected district games
I think all were playoff games, which isn't district, but certainly not practice. :thinking:

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
gilmer will beat Canton by 50 so why is that considered one? the post is for the game of the past year. not the upcoming year.

injuredinmelee
07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
didnt seem all that confusing....

Adidas410s
07-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

did you read the recaps that I gave on the games?? That might clue you in a little bit better.

DaHop72
07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
didnt seem all that confusing.... Boy I tell you. Sometimes simple minds like us figure things out better than other folks.:devil: :devil:

3afan
07-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
did you read the recaps that I gave on the games?? That might clue you in a little bit better.

yes I read the recaps - no doubt all were great games

guess i had a :nerd: moment ....

lostaussie
07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
didnt seem all that confusing.... not to me anyway:D

DU_stud04
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
what??? no survivor???:D

ILS1
07-21-2006, 08:38 PM
If it's not Canton/Gilmer, we're doing away with this award next year. We'll know it's rigged.

Well,if it's not Hutto/Tatum game for the Div. II 3A Championship then it was rigged!!! :eek: :D It was like watching two heavyweight champs hit each other in the jaw for 12 rounds!!! Just good old fashioned smash mouth football with speed!!!

:D

hutex04
07-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I agree ILS1, Even tho we lost the Tatum game. I thought that was the best game I saw last year for Hutto. It came down to the very last play and it hurt seeing us lose but at the same time we were all very proud of what the hippos accomplished last year.

HipposGitErDun
07-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Wow,, While I am sure that this was a fine contest, the Hutto/Tatum game was for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP and was back and forth the entire game. Hutto dominated most of the game, but the athletisism of Tatum resulted in 2 touchdowns in the last 50 seconds of the first half to boost them to the win. Shiloh Wampler, whose dad had passed away at the end of the season rushed for 226 yards for Hutto, scoring 3 touchdowns in a losing effort. While I am sure that Canton and Gilmer had a very entertaining contest, I doubt very seriously that it would rival the state championship game that was exciting and eventful as this one.

I am sure that there were some other non-significant games that were also exciting.

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 12:12 AM
sometimes the state title game just doesnt do it for ya... granted its for the state championship, that doesnt mean it was the best game played...

think about the 4OT thriller between Rice and Marlin. that would win game of the year any year, trust me...

LH Panther Mom
07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
think about the 4OT thriller between Rice and Marlin. that would win game of the year any year, trust me...
Rice and PI :nerd:

District303aPastPlayer
07-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Rice and PI :nerd:

i NEVER get that right :(
im still waiting for a DVD of the game from footballchik98