PDA

View Full Version : The big wreck on 181 yesterday...

CalallenWildcat
07-20-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_news/article/0,1641,CCCT_811_4857551,00.html

Man killed in accident involving three vehicles
Crash damages pipe on tanker trailer causing vapor leak

By Mary Ann Cavazos Caller-Times
July 20, 2006

PORTLAND - A San Antonio man was killed in a crash on Wednesday afternoon involving two vehicles and a tanker truck on U.S. 181.

Portland Police Lt. Juan Cano said a Ford F-150, traveling north in a center lane on 181 in Portland, rear-ended a Ford sedan. After the collision near the Buddy Ganem Road exit ramp, the truck continued across a median, struck a light pole and hit the rear tires of a tractor-trailer traveling south.

The pickup's driver died at the scene. His name and age were not released late Wednesday, pending notification of his family.

Three occupants of the sedan, two women and a teenager, were taken to Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial, according to emergency medical officials. Their condition, ages and names also were not released. The driver of the 18-wheeler was not injured.

The crash damaged a pipe attached to the 18-wheeler's tanker trailer, causing vapor to leak from its load of liquid nitrogen, which police and fire officials said was not harmful or explosive.

Portland Assistant Fire Chief Jim Leahey said a hazardous-materials team responded, and officials with Air Liquide Co., which owns the tanker truck, were called to the scene.

"(The driver) did exactly the right thing and brought the semi to a stop without flipping it. We lucked out because it was nitrogen and not some other gas," Leahey said.

The southbound and northbound lanes from Wildcat Avenue to Buddy Ganem were closed for at least two hours. All traffic was diverted to access roads. Officials opened northbound lanes about 4:45 p.m. and one southbound lane at 7 p.m. All other lanes were opened soon after 10 p.m.

Contact Mary Ann Cavazos at 886-3623 or HYPERLINK mailto:cavazosm@caller.com cavazosm@caller.com

http://www.caller2.com/2006/pics/ap/0720fatal.jpg

pirate44
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
my wife called me to warm me about that yesterday. luckily i have 2 ways to get home. i just went through odem instead.

luvhoops34
07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I know that vehicle is an F-150, but you sure can't tell bc it's smashed up so bad!

Gp83
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I was there 5 mins after it happened and saw them pull the bodie. The mans legs remained in the truck while his torso was laying on the pavement. That was as bad a wreck as I have ever seen. And yes...It was a new body style F-150

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
my wife called me to warm me about that yesterday. luckily i have 2 ways to get home. i just went through odem instead. smart

pirate44
07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
I was there 5 mins after it happened and saw them pull the bodie. The mans legs remained in the truck while his torso was laying on the pavement. That was as bad a wreck as I have ever seen. And yes...It was a new body style F-150

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1948/3281/78969.jpg
:(