PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Old Hymn

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
I am listening to a guy that put a decent twist on old hymns. Now i'm an old hymn, old baptist church type of guy. It got me thinking, what is your favorite and why?

District303aPastPlayer
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
listen to an amazing grace a capella by destiny's child or boyz II men...

CenTexSports
07-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Just as I AM.

Probably only someone over 45 and a Southern Baptist will understand this. I was at a revival many years ago and the evangelist got up after the offertory song and said: "There are two things in this world I would never want to be; 1) An unsaved sinner 2) The third verse of a Baptist hymn.

STANG RED
07-20-2006, 08:39 AM
For me, it all depends on how it is being preformed.
For a solo, my favorite would be Amazing Grace. But I love to hear a big chior do "Onward Christian Soldiers". Some I like best, when done by an all male quartet. I also grew up in a strong fundamental Baptist church, so all of those bring back alot of memories for me. It seems like we sang most of them almost every Sunday. Great memories!

YoePride05
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
I'll fly away
has always been my fav.

Adidas410s
07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Amazing Grace, It Is Well, and Old Rugged Cross are all very special to me as I can apply them to a lot of major instances in my life. A tough choice indeed...

pirate4state
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by YoePride05
I'll fly away
has always been my fav. Same here, but you can never go wrong with Amazing Grace & Old Rugged Cross. :thumbsup: :)

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Just as I AM.

There are two things in this world I would never want to be; 1) An unsaved sinner 2) The third verse of a Baptist hymn.

i like that, and i totally understand that

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 09:03 AM
i always though that a guitar and a simple guy singing "it is well" was just so powerful

CalallenWildcat
07-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Gave my vote to "How Great Thou Art"

Ranger Mom
07-20-2006, 09:21 AM
This poll needed to have more than one choice.....I had a hard time between The Old Rugged Cross and Amazing Grace!

JasperDog94
07-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Gave my vote to "How Great Thou Art" I love this one as well. Especially now since it leads right into Chris Tomlin's "How Great is Our God".

Ranger Mom
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I always liked "Heaven Came down (and glory filled my soul)....it was always in the Old Baptist Hymnal, but I very seldom heard it sung in church!

JasperDog94
07-20-2006, 09:28 AM
My true favorite wasn't listed..."God of Earth and Outer Space"

(This was a real hymn back in the 75 baptist hymnal. At least I think it was 75.)

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
This poll needed to have more than one choice.....I had a hard time between The Old Rugged Cross and Amazing Grace! i thought that, but i wanted to make it hard

pirate44
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
you missed "Rock of Ages"!!:mad:

that's my favorite. i love Def Leppard

shellman54
07-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Holy Holy Holy. When I was in high school, and in choir, we would sing this in church, i would sing tenor, my friend would sing bass, and my other female friend would sing the melody. It would give me goosebumps to hear the different sounds come together for such a great song.

big daddy russ
07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
I was raised in the most Southern Baptist Church you'll ever come across. Went there until HS. We had a congregation of about 40 members and our preacher was straight out of the Deep South circa 1900... straight up fire and brimstone, with the handkerchief and all.

CenTexSports, I understand exactly what you're talking about and I know that song very well.

On that note, I can't stand a single one. Not one! Been pounded into my head all day everyday for about 15 years, and I never really liked them to begin with. Mercy Me, Chris Tobin, some of the newer guys- I like. But leave the Hymnal in the bookcase. (And what a coincidence... my dad was the music minister at our church in pinches... They actually have a few on the bookshelf.)

District303aPastPlayer
07-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Kanye West's Album... the College Drop Out has an acapella of "I'll Fly Away" by the Blind Harlem Men's Choir (i think its them), it sounds good... i like that one too

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I was raised in the most Southern Baptist Church you'll ever come across. Went there until HS. We had a congregation of about 40 members and our preacher was straight out of the Deep South circa 1900... straight up fire and brimstone, with the handkerchief and all.

CenTexSports, I understand exactly what you're talking about and I know that song very well.

On that note, I can't stand a single one. Not one! Been pounded into my head all day everyday for about 15 years, and I never really liked them to begin with. Mercy Me, Chris Tobin, some of the newer guys- I like. But leave the Hymnal in the bookcase. (And what a coincidence... my dad was the music minister at our church in pinches... They actually have a few on the bookshelf.) i like old hymns, however there's new stuff, almost what you would call "the underground" stuff that most christian stations don't play that i am a fan of

big daddy russ
07-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i like old hymns, however there's new stuff, almost what you would call "the underground" stuff that most christian stations don't play that i am a fan of
One of the best bands I've ever heard was a Christian Alternative band during the 90's called Grammatrain. I've also always liked Third Day and Jars of Clay.

Tiger Baseball
07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
Holy Holy Holy. When I was in high school, and in choir, we would sing this in church, i would sing tenor, my friend would sing bass, and my other female friend would sing the melody. It would give me goosebumps to hear the different sounds come together for such a great song.

I totally agree this hymm can give you goosebumps, we sing it almost every sunday and it gets to me every time.

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
One of the best bands I've ever heard was a Christian Alternative band during the 90's called Grammatrain. I've also always liked Third Day and Jars of Clay. i remember grammatrain, i had a couple of their songs.....i liked dc talk before they went HUGE and was a fan of jars of clay when they had the FLOOD song

DaHop72
07-20-2006, 10:07 PM
.....i liked dc talk before they went HUGE I think Toby outgrew dc talk and when he did the solo album while he was still with them, after that I thought they went a little down hill.

mustang04
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
"When we all get to Heaven"
i love it

i dont like most the newer stuff...i like the older hymnals

LHMom
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I have an awesome Willie Nelson Gospel CD. He does a superb job on How Great Thou Art, one of my favorites.

Leopards,class of 75
07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
"When we all get to Heaven"
i love it

i dont like most the newer stuff...i like the older hymnals a very good one! I do love so many of them and some of the new ones like "Shout to the LORD"

BJG40
07-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow. I've had this discussion before and its almost way too hard to narrow it down. However, I've narrowed it down to two.

1) It is Well With My Soul-(is this the same as the It Is well you were referring to?) If so, not only are the music and words so powerful but the story behind the composer is amazing. I forget his name but he wrote this song right after he had lost his wife and daughter. For him to be that close to God and realize his amazing power and love at that time in his life is one that has been an immense encouragement to me.

2) How Great Thou Art- I grew up listening to my dad lead this song, and eventually learned to lead it myself. That is one reason it is special to me. Also, the words are so eloquent and humble. " O Lord my God , when i in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made...Thy power through out, the universe displayed." Not much else holds a candle to this song.

Thanks for startin this thread aggiejohn, good stuff!

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 11:08 AM
i remember grammatrain, i had a couple of their songs.....i liked dc talk before they went HUGE and was a fan of jars of clay when they had the FLOOD song
I loved "Jesus Freak". Used to listen to that and the Flood song.:thumbsup:
I also like the Newsboys.
My vote up top went to "How Great Though Art":clap:

Bullaholic
07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
"How Great Thou Art"- Statler Bros.
"The Lord's Prayer"- Il Divo
"Was It a Morning Like This"- Sandi Patti
"A Closer Walk With Thee"- Patsy Cline
"The Old Rugged Cross"- Ricky Van Shelton

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I think Toby outgrew dc talk and when he did the solo album while he was still with them, after that I thought they went a little down hill. actually Kevin Max went insane and that's why DC TALK broke up......that and some other stuff that's not board appropriate

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by BJG40
Wow. I've had this discussion before and its almost way too hard to narrow it down. However, I've narrowed it down to two.

1) It is Well With My Soul-(is this the same as the It Is well you were referring to?) If so, not only are the music and words so powerful but the story behind the composer is amazing. I forget his name but he wrote this song right after he had lost his wife and daughter. For him to be that close to God and realize his amazing power and love at that time in his life is one that has been an immense encouragement to me.

2) How Great Thou Art- I grew up listening to my dad lead this song, and eventually learned to lead it myself. That is one reason it is special to me. Also, the words are so eloquent and humble. " O Lord my God , when i in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made...Thy power through out, the universe displayed." Not much else holds a candle to this song.

Thanks for startin this thread aggiejohn, good stuff! yeah, we are talking about the same sonce...and how great thou arts words are just so big when you have a full choir singing it

Sweetwater96
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I like Amazing Grace, Holy Holy Holy, and the Aggie War Hymn...

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater96
I like Amazing Grace, Holy Holy Holy, and the Aggie War Hymn... you just became my favorite poster

Sandman
07-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
My true favorite wasn't listed..."God of Earth and Outer Space"

(This was a real hymn back in the 75 baptist hymnal. At least I think it was 75.)

My youth group used to always request this one on "request" Sunday nights. Our music minister eventually just quit calling on us.

AggieJohn
07-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Sandman
My youth group used to always request this one on "request" Sunday nights. Our music minister eventually just quit calling on us. we always called on our music minister on those nights for number 579 Shine jesus shine

Sweetwater96
07-21-2006, 03:50 PM
you just became my favorite poster

LOL - Gig'em

44INAROW
07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
"Here I am Lord"

AggieJohn
07-22-2006, 02:09 PM
what's that one that goes like this;

"we are standing on holy ground...."
" and we know that their are angels all around"

i think it's "on holy ground" but i'm not sure

AggieJohn
07-30-2006, 05:39 PM
ttt

gobbler grad
07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
too many great songs to choose from...

Phantom Stang
07-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
listen to an amazing grace a capella by destiny's child or boyz II men...
The Blind Boys of Alabama singing Amazing Grace to the tune of "House of The Rising Sun", sounds really cool.

bobcat1
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
I Cherish that old Rugged Cross and cling to it.

Chris Hart
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
My all time favorite has to be 'There is a fountain filled with BLOOD' drawn from Immanuel's veins, and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.

You just can't go wrong with any of the traditional old hymns!:)

AggieJohn
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
My all time favorite has to be 'There is a fountain filled with BLOOD' drawn from Immanuel's veins, and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.

You just can't go wrong with any of the traditional old hymns!:) so true

AggieJohn
08-29-2006, 11:24 PM
ttt

PPHSfan
08-29-2006, 11:33 PM
In the garden

MHSvarsity2007
08-29-2006, 11:35 PM
my favorites are step by step and i will call upon the lord. :)

AggieJohn
08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
my favorites are step by step and i will call upon the lord. :) i think "i will call upon the lord" doesn't consitute as old baptist hymns of the faith

TheDOCTORdre
08-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I voted How Great Thou Art because I love to think of the greatness of my God and there isnt a time when a thunderstorm starts to conjure up at night that these lyrics dont run through my head "I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, thy power throughout the universe displayed. Then sings my soul my saviour God to Thee, How Great Thou Art, How Great Thou Art"

of course I have to mention one that isnt on the list I love the words to it, and I always remeber that no matter what people do to you you always have someone who care for you
"I would like to tell you what I think of Jesus, Since I've found in Him a friend so kind and true, I would like to tell you how He changed my life completely, He did something that no other friend could do, No one ever cared for me like Jesus, theres no other friend so kind as He, no one else could take the sin and darkness from me, Oh how much He cares for me.

some other one, I'll Fly Away, In the Garden, When the Roll is Called Up Yonder, and Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

Highschoolfan78
08-30-2006, 12:19 AM
will the circle be unbroken

on eagles wings

I'll fly way

Seek ye first

Lord of the Dance

formermbcouns
08-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Anybody remember "One Day at a Time" by Christi Lane?

hereandnow
08-30-2006, 08:14 AM
What about "Because He Lives"?

AggieJohn
08-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by hereandnow
What about "Because He Lives"? i like that one, but it kind of gets on my nerves

HAN SING
08-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I like Uncloudy Day sung by Willie Nelson:wave:

AggieJohn
09-29-2006, 10:40 AM
ttt

pero chato
09-29-2006, 11:02 AM
"Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" is upbeat, great lyrics and melody.

3afan
09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
my favorite is the closing hymn .......

JOKING!

AggieJohn
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
my favorite is the closing hymn .......

JOKING! hahaha

JR2004
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
The Blind Boys of Alabama singing Amazing Grace to the tune of "House of The Rising Sun", sounds really cool.

For folks who have never heard it sang to that tune by The Blind Boys of Alabama, it's an amazing rendition of the song in my opinion. Jay Leno had them on a couple of years ago to sing it and they sounded awesome.

I didn't really see any of the songs on that list that we sing at church, but I attend an all-black church in Oak Cliff and they sing a few different songs that aren't on that list. Well it becomes multi-ethnic when I show up on Sunday mornings. :)

Reverend James Cleveland singing Get Right Church and Let's Go Home is a favorite of mine, but I like anything he sings.

Beverly Crawford singing Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus is cool too.

Clay Evans and the AARC Mass Choir singing I've Got a Testimony is great. I remember when I joined the choir at church six years ago I got them to add this as a song that we sing when we go to other churches for performances. Probably my favorite song.

bulldogman06
09-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Has anyone heard "I can only Imagine"? i cant remember who sings it, but they played it at one of my friends funerals and every time i hear it i get goosebumps

vet93
09-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Great song...Not a hymn...but the message is great!

Originally posted by bulldogman06
Has anyone heard "I can only Imagine"? i cant remember who sings it, but they played it at one of my friends funerals and every time i hear it i get goosebumps

AggieJohn
09-29-2006, 03:21 PM
by mercy me.....good song, not great though...over played in my opinion

Milk That Cow
09-29-2006, 08:53 PM
I am listening to a guy that put a decent twist on old hymns. Now i'm an old hymn, old baptist church type of guy. It got me thinking, what is your favorite and why?

AJ, who is the guy you were listening to?