PDA

View Full Version : Since it's all that's been argued about for 3 days. . .

RMAC
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Let's, as a whole board, define a "winning" team and a "successfull" team.

big daddy russ
07-20-2006, 12:08 AM
These are describing "successful" teams. To me, a team that makes the playoffs every 3 of 5 years and may have one run of 3+ rounds can be considered "successful."

A "winning" team, on the other hand, is one that goes every year and throws in a little run every now and then. The Sintons, Celinas, Vernons, Jaspers, Sweetwaters, Canyons, Hondos, etc.

GreenMonster
07-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I choose not to vote on this for one very big reason. It fails to take into consideration that not every school keeps the Athletic Director / Head Coach for 10 plus years. You must give the new man time to implement his program.

SintonFan
07-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
Let's, as a whole board, define a "winning" team and a "successfull" team.
All this is subjective toward who roots for what they tend to root for and against. ie. the homer/anti-homer vote.
You need to add a "Championship team" to add an extra element and level to this and we need to to decide what constitutes even that. I do love philosophy. :)
And to make this fun, do those who had success in 4A or 2A really pertain to what 3A is now all about?:nerd: I say a resounding MAYBE!

IHStangFan
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
its all relative to the consistancy, timeframe, and arena you are discussing.....district? regional? state? 5yrs? 10yrs? 15yrs? do they make a run EVERY year, is it hit or miss come playoff time?? lots of factors and many different levels of "successful"

kepdawg
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
It seems to me that much of the argument has been about the relevance of tradition/long term history versus short term history. I don't see a differentiation with the terminology "successful" and "winning." Perhaps other terms need to be introduced to better differentiate between the types of teams being argued over.

SintonFan
07-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Perhaps other terms need to be introduced to better differentiate between the types of teams being argued over.
I see RMAC's point of view as it pertains to very very recent behavior here. Lots of arguing and "potshotting" going on before the season really starts now. This topic is fascinating.
I think the pre-season(of the low) might now have officially began considering it's now about 1.5 months away?:cool: :clap:
And kep, make sure you let us know when KEPBALL begins, please?:)

kepdawg
07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
And kep, make sure you let us know when KEPBALL begins, please?:)

There should be an announcement made within the next week.

SintonFan
07-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
There should be an announcement made within the next week.
That was the best thing ever on the "Pig"!:)

Adidas410s
07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
That was the best thing ever on the "Pig"!:)

true...true...

and I sucked at it!!! :thumbsup:

AggieJohn
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
my high school went to the playoffs every year and occasionaly would go two deep. don't consider them successful, they just were able to slide into that third spot in the playoff picture.

3afan
07-20-2006, 08:33 AM
I think a team can be successful without even making the playoffs ... it al depends on your individual perspective

Snyder_TigerFan
07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I think a team can be successful without even making the playoffs ... it al depends on your individual perspective

I'll buy that. If a team goes 2-8 one year and the next year they go 8-2, that's pretty successful.

As far as Snyder goes, they have had recent success, and as a fan, it feels like the program (which was mediocre in the past) might be making a turn for the better. I give alot of the credit to Coach Rogers and the coaching staff that he has brought in. The recent success started about the time that he came in. The jury (at least mine) is still out. I'm anxious to see how the next couple of years go, although I don't see any down time coming. I think there is a new excitement in Snyder about their football program, one that hasn't been around in a while.

Sweetwater Red
07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I'll buy that. If a team goes 2-8 one year and the next year they go 8-2, that's pretty successful.

As far as Snyder goes, they have had recent success, and as a fan, it feels like the program (which was mediocre in the past) might be making a turn for the better. I give alot of the credit to Coach Rogers and the coaching staff that he has brought in. The recent success started about the time that he came in. The jury (at least mine) is still out. I'm anxious to see how the next couple of years go, although I don't see any down time coming. I think there is a new excitement in Snyder about their football program, one that hasn't been around in a while.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

STANG RED
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM

As bad as I hate to admit it, I think your right Snyder_TigerFan. They seem to be moving in the right direction. Do you think Rogers will stick around for a long time? I know very little about him. Is he a family man, with kids in school in Snyder?
I just hate that the UIL screwed up our old district!

Tiger Baseball
07-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Very Good Point!!!!!!!!!!!

CalallenWildcat
07-20-2006, 09:04 AM
"Successful Program" -

A program that encourages the players to give 100% effort in everything they do. Usually marked by the academic successes of the players, as well as the gratifying effect of playing football on Friday nights. Ultimately, a successful program is one that encourages the players to have fun, inspires them to excel at everything they do, and builds lasting friendships. Successful programs teach valuable, lifelong lessons. A successful program may be 0-10 for 50 years straight, or it may be one of the best in the state. But even if you go 16-0, if the kids get nothing out of it other than stress, it is NOT a successful program.

LH Panther Mom
07-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
"Successful Program" -

A program that encourages the players to give 100% effort in everything they do. Usually marked by the academic successes of the players, as well as the gratifying effect of playing football on Friday nights. Ultimately, a successful program is one that encourages the players to have fun, inspires them to excel at everything they do, and builds lasting friendships. Successful programs teach valuable, lifelong lessons. A successful program may be 0-10 for 50 years straight, or it may be one of the best in the state. But even if you go 16-0, if the kids get nothing out of it other than stress, it is NOT a successful program.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Especially the last part..... :thumbsup:

DaHop72
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
As bad as I hate to admit it, I think your right Snyder_TigerFan. They seem to be moving in the right direction. Do you think Rogers will stick around for a long time? I know very little about him. Is he a family man, with kids in school in Snyder?
I just hate that the UIL screwed up our old district! Yeppers he is a family man. He also has to children in the school system as well.