PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 16

Phil C
07-19-2006, 09:11 AM
This is the second day and the Alps and is considered the most brutal of the race. Already 4 riders today have abandoned the Tour. Of the 179 riders 30 have dropped out due to injuries, illness or fatigue leaving 149 left in the Tour.
There is a group of escapees right now but we will see how it turns out. Today's stage has 4 brutal climbs. Floyd Landis is satisfied being in the Peloton as of right now.

Adidas410s
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Somebody go tell Floyd Landis to Live Strong!!!

http://www.alltherage.ca/productimages/LiveStrong%20Bracelet.jpg

Phil C
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Rasmussen is ahead of the peloton by 7'20" with about 20 miles left to go. I don't know if they are going to try to catch him or not. We will see.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Rasmussen on final climb of the day to the finish line. He is about 12 miles from the finish line but the peloton has gained a little on him being 6'20" ahead of them. I think the peloton has decided to let him go so if he isn't caught by any of the other escapees he should win this stage.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
The Flying Chicken has finished the stage and has won it in grand style. Mickael Rasmussen has won most agressive rider in the stage today as well as the stage winner and is the new King of the Mountain leader. A job well done. It looks like American Floyd Landis has lost his yellow jersey in a bad way and could be in jeopardy in this year's Tour. More details to follow.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Oscar Pereiro comes in third during today's stage and will go from second to first. The main point of concern is how far behind will Landis be.

Adidas410s
07-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Floyd Landis cracked on the final climb of Stage 16 and fell out of the overall leader's yellow jersey Wednesday in the Tour de France.

Michael Rasmussen of Denmark won the 182-kilometer Alpine stage of the Tour de France from Bourg d'Oisans to La Toussuire with a long, solo breakaway.

Landis, who lead by 10 seconds at the start of the day, lost several minutes in the overall standings.

Carlos Sastre finished second, followed by Pereiro, the new overall leader. Before the teams entered the Alps, Pereiro had not been considered a contender.

Rasmussen took over the lead for the polka-dot king of the mountains jersey.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
This may be the first time in 7 years that an American has not won the yellow jersey. Landis has had a disasterous day and may not recover. What is amazing is that at one time he was 28 minutes ahead of Pereiro but let Pereiro gain 29 minutes on him in one stage which now may have been an error. Landis will need a super effort tomorrow to regain the jersey or even to get close. We will see but the Tour may have been won on today's stage.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
The main hope is that maybe the ones ahead of him will have tired themselves out with their great effort but Landis will need a super day tomorrow nevertheless. He will need to escape from the peloton sometime tomorrow and be very agressive. That is the only way it can be won. We will see.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Landis not only lost the yellow jersey but probably the whole Tour de France since he dropped from first out of the top ten. Look for someone else other than an American to wear the yellow jersey this year but this is still a great race and worth watching.

Phil C
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I know everyone is sad that it looks like someone other than an American is going to win the Tour de France but don't give up on this great race because it is terrific. We can't win everything all the time so let's stick with it even in bad times. Who knows - maybe Floyd can pull a miracle and win it anyway but this race is worth watching and staying with. The OLN staff and commentators work hard to bring us this race so let's not give it up yet. Vive Le Tour! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Besides it would make the Sinton GodFather very happy for you to stay with it. :)

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Do you always talk to yourself???? :thinking:

Phil C
07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Do you always talk to yourself???? :thinking:

Well I am in good company all the time! :D

Adidas410s
07-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Phil...party of 1!!!

Phil C
07-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I know everyone is sad that it looks like someone other than an American is going to win the Tour de France but don't give up on this great race because it is terrific. We can't win everything all the time so let's stick with it even in bad times. Who knows - maybe Floyd can pull a miracle and win it anyway but this race is worth watching and staying with. The OLN staff and commentators work hard to bring us this race so let's not give it up yet. Vive Le Tour! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Besides it would make the Sinton GodFather very happy for you to stay with it. :)

Floyd may have pulled off the miracle in today's race (Stage 17). I am glad I wrote that yesterday even though I wouldn't have put money on a bet on it. Let's just hope he isn't too tired out for the next two races! Way to go Floyd! Keep it gong!