PDA

View Full Version : For you History Buffs

hawkfan
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Since this is a football websight and we are all going through major football withdraws right now,I'm going ask y'all something and see what y'all say thats kinda connected to football. I'm going to take my love for Football and My love for History and combine and pose a question to you all. In your opinion, what figure in History do you think would make the best football Coach? For me, My opinion it would have to be Robert E. Lee for one reason: The man was not afraid to take a chance when he had to. Do you know of somebody historical who could win out on a football field?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I would have to say that I think that George Washington would have done well. I'm sure he would have pulled some risky trick plays out of his hat. For the record, your signature line is awesome. Cyanide and Happiness....can't beat it.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Patton. He had a winner's mentality, and he showed he could lead on a battlefield.

bulldogbark
07-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Moses cause he could part the defence and collaps the offence. If he can lead his people out of Egypt he could surley lead a football team to the championship ;)

Old Dog
07-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Stonewall Jackson

sahen
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Teddy Roosevelt, overcame adversity with bad health problems when he was young and helped lead the Rough Riders in Cuba to prove he is a natural born leader.....

slpybear the bullfan
07-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Genl. Patrick Cleburne, CSA.

He had a tremendous belief in practice, practice, practice leads to discipline, discipline, discpline, which lead to victory after victory after victory.

Shamefully underrated... since this thread is primarily about history buffs... check out this character and let me know what you think.

Runners up...

Maj. Dick Winters - E/506PIR
Meriwether Lewis

mustang04
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
napoleon.....c'mon, he'd be good at designing plays....i'd have Ghengis Khan as the team captain tho....all his "teammates" listened to him haha:D

Tweeder215
07-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
napoleon.....c'mon, he'd be good at designing plays....i'd have Ghengis Khan as the team captain tho....all his "teammates" listened to him haha:D

Boy I'm glad you said it. I was reading all of these like "WHAT THA......Where's Napoleon" Not only would he have been good at designing plays but Napoleon taught that whole "Walk with a Swagger" mentality i.e.- In Napoleons day the Pope was the most powerful person on the planet and crowned kings and such. But when Napoleon was crowned Emperor, he invited the Pope who brought the crown foward, then looked the Pope square in the eye, grabbed the crown and placed it on his own head. That's walking with a swagger (of course when you are 4 foot tall you have to do that)

sahen
07-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
Boy I'm glad you said it. I was reading all of these like "WHAT THA......Where's Napoleon" Not only would he have been good at designing plays but Napoleon taught that whole "Walk with a Swagger" mentality i.e.- In Napoleons day the Pope was the most powerful person on the planet and crowned kings and such. But when Napoleon was crowned Emperor, he invited the Pope who brought the crown foward, then looked the Pope square in the eye, grabbed the crown and placed it on his own head. That's walking with a swagger (of course when you are 4 foot tall you have to do that)
so he is the ultimate example of little man syndrome?

GreenMonster
07-19-2006, 02:07 AM
I'd have to go with Tom Landry!

sahen
07-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'd have to go with Tom Landry! Now green i know that he didnt specifically say you couldnt name old football coaches but my guess is he meant people that werent a football coach that might have been good at it....we all know Landry was a great coach, the fun here is speculating w/ people we will never know....:)

piratebg
07-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Adolph Hitler

He was a great motivational speaker who enjoyed crushing opponents.

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by sahen
so he is the ultimate example of little man syndrome?
They don't call it "Napoleon complex" for nothing. :D

hawkfan
07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Adolph Hitler

I thought about that too, except Hitler would have a habit of incenerating the defeated team.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Well I don't know about good, but one bad one would be Niccolo Machiavelli. He'd have every player on his team arguing with each other.

hawkfan
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Well I don't know about good, but one bad one would be Niccolo Machiavelli. He'd have every player on his team arguing with each other.

Just arguing? Id think they would be trying to kill each other.

BullFrog Dad
07-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Attila the Hun

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
Just arguing? Id think they would be trying to kill each other.

It'd be a team full of T.O.'s and Donovan McNabb's for sure :D

slpybear the bullfan
07-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Adolph Hitler

Throwing the ethical problem to the side (that whole problem of madman, murder, director of genocide, etc.) he was a lousy strategist. No concept of logistics. No concept of sustained conflict. Ego the size of earth and lived in la la land where he thought if he willed it it was so.

slpybear the bullfan
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
:clap:

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I think Vince Lomba... wait he was a coach...

I agree with Lee And Patton...

Another thing you have to like about Lee is that he was asked by Abe to lead the North, but he chose the South because his home state was in the South and he would not fight against it...

DU_stud04
07-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Adolph Hitler

hey, i was going to say that too...hahaha

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
he was a lousy strategist. No concept of logistics. No concept of sustained conflict. Ego the size of earth and lived in la la land where he thought if he willed it it was so.
Wait a sec.....he might've been a coach at a few places. :thinking: ;)

GreenMonster
07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Now green i know that he didnt specifically say you couldnt name old football coaches but my guess is he meant people that werent a football coach that might have been good at it....we all know Landry was a great coach, the fun here is speculating w/ people we will never know....:)

Dangit!!! I thought I had the perfect answer. :D In that case I say Big Daddy Russ. He's been an excellent leader for FANTOM and I think he would make an excellent football coach as well.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Someone once told me I was Vladimir Lenin in a past life...in that case Lenin would have been a great coach :D

GreenMonster
07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
In all actuality, I had several college history classes with the author of this thread and I have to admit he knows his Civil War history. We sat in the back of the class and the Prof liked to open his book, throw his head back to look at the ceiling, and then close his eyes through his "sermon". All class, every class. Well, like I said we sat in the back of the class and Hawkfan could tell us the next event that happened before the Prof could get to it. It was great. Took better notes because Hawkfan told me the really important things to remember. I'm not exactly sure but for some reason I feel like one of Hawkfan's favorite moments in the Civil War was when the Union tunneled under the Confederate base, loaded the tunnel with dynamite directly beneath the base, and then set it off. Goota admit, that's a pretty cool thing!

Bullaholic
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I don't know that some of the traits of some of the following historical characters would be acceptable examples for leading young men, but their succeses are undeniable:

Napoleon
Julius Caesar
Alexander the Great

Perhaps more acceptable:

General Douglas McArthur
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Omar Bradley
Admiral "Bull" Halsey
General Frank Merrill
General Norman Schwarzkopf

slpybear the bullfan
07-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
In all actuality, I had several college history classes with the author of this thread and I have to admit he knows his Civil War history. We sat in the back of the class and the Prof liked to open his book, throw his head back to look at the ceiling, and then close his eyes through his "sermon". All class, every class. Well, like I said we sat in the back of the class and Hawkfan could tell us the next event that happened before the Prof could get to it. It was great. Took better notes because Hawkfan told me the really important things to remember. I'm not exactly sure but for some reason I feel like one of Hawkfan's favorite moments in the Civil War was when the Union tunneled under the Confederate base, loaded the tunnel with dynamite directly beneath the base, and then set it off. Goota admit, that's a pretty cool thing!

GM, you are talking of the infamous battle of the Crater at Petersburg. Pennsylvania miners tunneling under the Confed lines... it is a pretty interesting story. One of the interesting bits of trivia... during the explosion, a negro cook was blasted from the confederate lines into the Union lines and landed unhurt, (100's of yards... wow!) The Union soldiers who found him promptly put him in a tent and charged a nickel a head for others to come and gaze at their marvel of "modern aeronautics."

GM, I am an absolute Civil War Buff... I would probably love to visit with Hawkfan. Ask him his opinion of ol Pat Cleburne.

Great thread guys... I have thoroughly been enjoying it. I would love to see something like this from time to time.

kepdawg
07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.beyondbooks.com/ush12/images/00012268.jpg