PDA

View Full Version : South Texas Sportsmen

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 01:11 PM
The latest rumor is that Academy Sports & Outdoors has bought the field next to the Wal Mart Supercenter in Portland.

Blastoderm55
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Would the store do much volume in Portland?

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Would the store do much volume in Portland?

Considering everytime I go to the one on SPID I see people I know from Portland, I would think so

Plus, Portland is growing fast and Academy might be trying to take advantage of what is fast becoming the shopping destination for the North Bay area.

Old Green
07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Academy is opening a new store in Victoria across from walmart soon.

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
The latest rumor is that Academy Sports & Outdoors has bought the field next to the Wal Mart Supercenter in Portland.

That would be great...hope it's true!

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
That would be great...hope it's true! No kidding...I'd rather drive to Portland than Corpus. :) Now if there were a way to bypass Taft...:thinking: :D

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
No kidding...I'd rather drive to Portland than Corpus. :) Now if there were a way to bypass Taft...:thinking: :D

But there is!!! It takes slightly longer though

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
But there is!!! It takes slightly longer though

and it probably requires a tractor.... ;)

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
and it probably requires a tractor.... ;)

No...FM roads all the way!! Not even a county road!

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
No...FM roads all the way!! Not even a county road! Yeah, I know but that takes too long and sometimes you do have to wait on those darn tractors!!! :D

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Two alternate routes from Sinton:

Route 1:
1) Take FM 2046 South to FM 631, turn left (East)
2) Take 631 to FM 1074, turn right (South/East, don't know what direction they use on the sign but it's really south)
3) Make sure when FM 1074 turns at the White Point Oil Field you turn as well...it's a left turn and you'll know it when you see it because if you go straight you are on a one-lane road
4) Follow FM 1074 to the intersection with FM 893. Continue straight, the road is now called FM 893
5) This puts you on Moore Avenue in Portland

Route 2: Go south (really east) on Hwy 181 to just east of Sinton, turn South (maybe it's called East) on FM 1074. Then follow directions 3 through 5 above

CalallenWildcat
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yeah, I know but that takes too long and sometimes you do have to wait on those darn tractors!!! :D

I was driving that way one time and a giant buzzard flew into my windshield! No joke!

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Route 1:
2) Take 631 to FM 1074, turn right (South/East, don't know what direction they use on the sign but it's really south)
3) Make sure when FM 1074 turns at the White Point Oil Field you turn as well...it's a left turn and you'll know it when you see it because if you go straight you are on a one-lane road
4) Follow FM 1074 to the intersection with FM 893. Continue straight, the road is now called FM 893

Route 2: Go south (really east) on Hwy 181 to just east of Sinton, turn South (maybe it's called East) on FM 1074. Then follow directions 3 through 5 above

:D :D :D :D I live right by FM 2046...well not RIGHT BY, but close enough. :D

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I was driving that way one time and a giant buzzard flew into my windshield! No joke! I have a funny story about a bird and driving, but it isn't board friendly...:evillaugh :evillaugh

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Route 1:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG....that post is like my worst nightmare. I would end up in San Antonio.:D

piratebg
07-19-2006, 04:37 AM
I was driving that way one time and a giant buzzard flew into my windshield! No joke!

That happen once to me and my mother. Scary as hell.

piratebg
07-19-2006, 04:38 AM

I've heard so many rumors at work about businesses looking to open in Portland. Home Depot, Best Buy, Macarroni Grill, and Academy are some names that I have heard floating around at city hall.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I've heard so many rumors at work about businesses looking to open in Portland. Home Depot, Best Buy, Macarroni Grill, and Academy are some names that I have heard floating around at city hall.

Mac Grill might be what is under construction on the restaurant pads in front of the Academy site right now.

I'm wondering where we would put Home Depot and Best Buy...Portland may have to start growing outside the Broadway/Buddy Ganem loop...

pirate4state
07-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Mac Grill might be what is under construction on the restaurant pads in front of the Academy site right now.

I'm wondering where we would put Home Depot and Best Buy...Portland may have to start growing outside the Broadway/Buddy Ganem loop... :eek: Best Buy would be cool, but a Home Depot (in GP) would kill that Lowe's in Aransas Pass. :(

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
The problem is I'll be off to college in a year and I won't ever get to see all of this happen, Portland is growing too late for me :(

Oh well, with the rate the GP area is growing and the new container terminal bringing in even more jobs to that area, could we see GP go up to 5A anytime soon?

My guess is no for at least 10 years, but I could be wrong. They added 80 students from the 2004 realignment to the 2006 one, but my calculations lead me to believe their current enrollment is higher than what they turned in. I know when I went to school there, there were 376 ppl in our class, and the two classes below us were both well over 400.

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Academy is opening a new store in Victoria across from walmart soon.

Yup, and I can't wait...

That sucker is huge... it will be the biggest in Texas and should be open next month ...:clap:

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yup, and I can't wait...

That sucker is huge... it will be the biggest in Texas and should be open next month ...:clap:

Actually, I think it will be 2nd biggest in Texas behind the CC location, which is the largest Academy anywhere.

Unless I heard wrong.

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
so we have the largest academy and HEB in the state... not bad :)

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:31 PM
should be great if it happens. but i heard a rumor a while back Lowes was opening up in the current k-mart location. i wonder if that will happen. Portland is sure going through a growth spurt.

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
should be great if it happens. but i heard a rumor a while back Lowes was opening up in the current k-mart location. i wonder if that will happen. Portland is sure going through a growth spurt.

k-mart is still open there...

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
k-mart is still open there...
yup. im a semi-frequent patron. gotta love the Martha stewart line of duvets

CalallenWildcat

I haven't heard that about Lowe's in the K-mart area. I know that Target was planning on swooping that store up about a year ago, but after it became clear that K-mart was going to stay open despite Wal-Mart opening the new Supercenter, they threw those plans out the window.

I'm worried that Portland may get over-retailed...we will have to see. Not like we have any "mom-and-pop shops" here anyway, I guess.

District303aPastPlayer
yup. im a semi-frequent patron. gotta love the Martha stewart line of duvets

they dont have a half bad electronics section... but i WILL go to walmart if need be..

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Actually, I think it will be 2nd biggest in Texas behind the CC location, which is the largest Academy anywhere.

Unless I heard wrong.

Yes, you heard wrong...

Actually when was the Corpus Christi one built?

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Yes, you heard wrong...

late last year i think... they took over a super k-mart and used up about 70-80% of it... it really is huge

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Yes, you heard wrong...

The new one opened less than a year ago, I know that they own the whole Super K-Mart building but their store is only in half of it; they might be expanding that location again in the distant future but I doubt it because the store they have now is too big!

EDIT: 60% of it.

pirate44
Yes, you heard wrong...

they just recently opened the new location (across s.p.i.d.) in the last year or so

Blastoderm55
Yes, you heard wrong...

They moved into the old Super K-Mart building on SPID a year or two ago.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, four posts that all say the same thing

Blastoderm55
I thought they were only leasing the location from Wal-Mart.

pirate44
I haven't heard that about Lowe's in the K-mart area. I know that Target was planning on swooping that store up about a year ago, but after it became clear that K-mart was going to stay open despite Wal-Mart opening the new Supercenter, they threw those plans out the window.

I'm worried that Portland may get over-retailed...we will have to see. Not like we have any "mom-and-pop shops" here anyway, I guess.
i have a question ive ben meaning to ask someone from portland. is there a "downtown"?

Gobbla2001
they just recently opened the new location (across s.p.i.d.) in the last year or so

Okay, then yah he heard wrong...

The Victoria Advocate article stated that when the Victoria location opened it would be the largest in Texas...

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Wow, four posts that all say the same thing
too many cheifs :D

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Okay, then yah he heard wrong...

The Victoria Advocate article stated that when the Victoria location opened it would be the largest in Texas...
yeah, but those victoria papers lie. :D

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:42 PM
yeah, but those victoria papers lie. :D

It's by square footage btw... my buddy from work who lives near there says it looks as if it will have a second floor, but I haven't been by there in a while, just knew it was big as hell...

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
i have a question ive ben meaning to ask someone from portland. is there a "downtown"?

LMAO...I've been living here my whole life and I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question. In the sense of really old buildings along a certain street, no. But the Olde Towne district, especially the part on the side of 181 where DQ is, still has some of the original 'character,' if Portland ever had one :D

I can tell you where the Bay View College was (now the site of GPISD administration and the old TM Clark Elementary) and where the main building of it now sits (private residence on Hawthorne Street)

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
It's by square footage btw... my buddy from work who lives near there says it looks as if it will have a second floor, but I haven't been by there in a while, just knew it was big as hell...

it wont, the corpus location looked that way for a while too... but its just a taller area for other stuff... its weird inside...

and downtown portland would be wildcat drive, from lang to the highway :)

Gobbla2001
just knew it was big as hell...

for an academy atleast...

I won't brag to the big cities though... you can tell 'em you have the biggest, but they'll just say "Yah, because we have 5 or 6 of them" ha...

pirate44
in you "sportsmen's/sportswomen's" opinion, which is beter, Cabellas or Bass Pro (im assuming academy is 2nd rate. correct me if im wrong)?

District303aPastPlayer
LMAO...I've been living here my whole life and I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that question. In the sense of really old buildings along a certain street, no. But the Olde Towne district, especially the part on the side of 181 where DQ is, still has some of the original 'character,' if Portland ever had one :D

I can tell you where the Bay View College was (now the site of GPISD administration and the old TM Clark Elementary) and where the main building of it now sits (private residence on Hawthorne Street)

i thought GP ISD's admin was still in Gregory

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:46 PM
it wont, the corpus location looked that way for a while too... but its just a taller area for other stuff... its weird inside...

and downtown portland would be wildcat drive, from lang to the highway :)

Well the ones I've been in look tall enough to have a second floor as well and don't... I need to ask him when I get back to work, he drives by it at about 30 mph every morning and evening back and forth from work because it's down from his road...

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
i thought GP ISD's admin was still in Gregory

No, moved a year ago, they are tearing down the old one to build a new elementary school to replace SFA.

pirate44 - Bass Pro. Just 'cause.

Gobbla - your source is the Victoria Advocate, mine is the Academy commercials :D

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
No, moved a year ago, they are tearing down the old one to build a new elementary school to replace SFA.

Gobbla - your source is the Victoria Advocate, mine is the Academy commercials :D
thats not very good post-padding strategy

CalallenWildcat
BTW, we need a Steve and Barry's in CC. Those stores are awesome.

You can buy a t-shirt for any college in America for like $7 bucks. Or even a heavy winter coat for less than $10.

CalallenWildcat
thats not very good post-padding strategy

I know...:D

But Flood control is enabled on this board...

Gobbla2001
in you "sportsmen's/sportswomen's" opinion, which is beter, Cabellas or Bass Pro (im assuming academy is 2nd rate. correct me if im wrong)?

I've only been to one Bass Pro and one Cabellas... the Cabellas in Buda had nice stuffed animals, but Bass Pro is Katy had just as much of a variety...

I hear the Bass Pro in Missouri (I forget exactly where I guy from work vacations there, near Branson) blows both the Buda Cabellas and Katy Bass Pro clean out of the water...

And yah Academy is kind of second rate to them, yet Academy covers track and disc-golf and karate etc... so they're almost in a different league, you know?

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:49 PM
BTW, we need a Steve and Barry's in CC. Those stores are awesome.

You can buy a t-shirt for any college in America for like $7 bucks. Or even a heavy winter coat for less than $10.

WOOHOO Gonzaga Gear!!

Gobbla2001
07-19-2006, 12:49 PM

My source is my brain, telling me that you're only using 60% of the building, so Academy told the Advocate "Your's is bigger"... :D

pirate44
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I've only been to one Bass Pro and one Cabellas... the Cabellas in Buda had nice stuffed animals, but Bass Pro is Katy had just as much of a variety...

I hear the Bass Pro in Missouri (I forget exactly where I guy from work vacations there, near Branson) blows both the Buda Cabellas and Katy Bass Pro clean out of the water...

And yah Academy is kind of second rate to them, yet Academy covers track and disc-golf and karate etc... so they're almost in a different league, you know?
i drove by the bass pro in grapevine (i think) and it seemed huge. but i have heard the Missouri location is the king of outdoor stores.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:51 PM

The Bass Pro in Grapevine and the one in Bossier City are both awesome. Especially the one in Bossier.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:52 PM
WOOHOO Gonzaga Gear!!

Yep!

vBulletin Message
Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Yep!

vBulletin Message
Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

i hate the flood control

IHStangFan
Would the store do much volume in Portland? oh yeah, definately. Everyone from Aransas Pass, Ingleside, etc. would LOVE to have one in Portland, as they wouldnt have to deal w/ SPID.

CalallenWildcat
My source is my brain, telling me that you're only using 60% of the building, so Academy told the Advocate "Your's is bigger"... :D

You see, they probably meant "bigger by space per shopper"

Since the CC one is always so crowded, it's one of the smallest that way :D :D :D

Seriously, I've driven by the one in Vic and while it's decent-sized, it's nothing impressive. Though I don't know how far it goes back.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
i drove by the bass pro in grapevine (i think) and it seemed huge. but i have heard the Missouri location is the king of outdoor stores.

Missouri one is the original one. Grapevine's is nice, but Bossier takes it anyday. Still, Missouri's is supposed to be awesome.

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:55 PM
i hate the flood control

You and me both...maybe they oughta set it to 5 seconds to guard against the double-post but oh well...

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
oh yeah, definately. Everyone from Aransas Pass, Ingleside, etc. would LOVE to have one in Portland, as they wouldnt have to deal w/ SPID.

SPID is terrible, but could 181 in Portland eventually get that bad? Me think so.

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 12:57 PM
SPID is terrible, but could 181 in Portland eventually get that bad? Me think so.

i do too... but once the by pass is finished, it will be alot different... more traffic, and even busier than the everhard exit on SPID heading towards the Bluff

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
i do too... but once the by pass is finished, it will be alot different... more traffic, and even busier than the everhard exit on SPID heading towards the Bluff

They need to put a light in at 181 & Buddy Ganem/Broadway now before it gets terrible.

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
They need to put a light in at 181 & Buddy Ganem/Broadway now before it gets terrible.

true

Blastoderm55
07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I'll take SPID over any street in Austin. I don't think I had ever been flipped off in traffic for waiting a second before gunning it on the green until I began driving in Austin three years ago. Idiots, I swear. :rolleyes:

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I'll take SPID over any street in Austin. I don't think I had ever been flipped off in traffic for waiting a second before gunning it on the green until I began driving in Austin three years ago. Idiots, I swear. :rolleyes:

What Red, Yellow, and Green mean in Austin

Green: Wait a few seconds, then look both ways before proceeding across the intersection
Yellow: Keep on going across the intersection
Red: Still time for two more cars to get through the intersection!

pirate44
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
i agree. spid is a pussycat compared to most big cities. the feeder roads and intersections on the other hand are saturated with idiot drivers. Christmas is coming and they still havent switched the on ramps and exit ramps like they planned.

Blastoderm55
07-19-2006, 01:08 PM
What Red, Yellow, and Green mean in Austin

Green: Wait a few seconds, then look both ways before proceeding across the intersection
Yellow: Keep on going across the intersection
Red: Still time for two more cars to get through the intersection!

If you don't put the pedal to the metal the instant the light turns green, you get jerks throwing diapers at your car. My fiancee even had some jerk get out of his running car and pound on her window because she refused to dart into oncoming traffic without checking her blindside. And she wonders why I'm not thrilled to be moving to Round Rock. :doh:

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 01:20 PM
If you don't put the pedal to the metal the instant the light turns green, you get jerks throwing diapers at your car. My fiancee even had some jerk get out of his running car and pound on her window because she refused to dart into oncoming traffic without checking her blindside. And she wonders why I'm not thrilled to be moving to Round Rock. :doh:

Yes, but the conundrum is that you can't floor it that very instant...

AggieJohn
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Portland is growing fast and Academy might be trying to take advantage of what is fast becoming the shopping destination for the North Bay area. that's a good joke

CalallenWildcat
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that's a good joke

Have you driven through Portland lately?

Recently completed/opened:
Wal-Mart Supercenter
Chili's
Northshore 8 Cineplex
KFC/Long John Silvers
Starbucks
Bad Brad's BBQ (which really is BAD)
Hu Dat Restaurant
several housing additions in the North Shore/Bay Ridge area
Gulf Compress warehouse at La Quinta

Under construction:
More housing in North Shore
More housing in Bay Ridge
3 banks
3 medical imaging centers
some restaurant in the front of the Academy site
La Quinta Container Terminal - estimated to bring in 7,000 jobs

The housing market in Portland is going crazy as well...

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM

The Bass Pro shop in SA is suppossed to be huge if they ever finish it.:nerd:

pirate44
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The Bass Pro shop in SA is suppossed to be huge if they ever finish it.:nerd:
where is that at?

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 02:52 PM
where is that at?
There will be a new shopping center next to The Dominion at I10 and 1604 on the NW side of town.:) They opened a new Best Buy there but are still building the place.

pirate44
07-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
There will be a new shopping center next to The Dominion at I10 and 1604 on the NW side of town.:) They opened a new Best Buy there but are still building the place.
i try to stay away from 1604, and i dont golf :( so i really wouldnt be familiar with out there

Old Green
07-21-2006, 02:59 PM
The new one opened less than a year ago, I know that they own the whole Super K-Mart building but their store is only in half of it; they might be expanding that location again in the distant future but I doubt it because the store they have now is too big!

EDIT: 60% of it. The new location threw me for a loop a few months ago. I didn't know they had moved to a new location. The store is huge.

But looking at the new Academy in Victoria, it looks a lot bigger than the CC academy.

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 03:01 PM
i try to stay away from 1604, and i dont golf :( so i really wouldnt be familiar with out there
That area is exploding. There is a new luxury shopping center at La Cantera featuring Nordstrums, Nieman Marcus and quite a few nicer stores.
I'm just happy I now have a Best Buy within five miles of my place. I used to have to drive 15 miles to the next closest one.:(

SintonFan
07-21-2006, 03:01 PM

I used to live on Daniel Moore.:cool: