PDA

View Full Version : Right or Wrong???

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Just thought I would get some of yalls input on this.

Thursday on my way to Dallas, I passed an "Abortion Shame" van (while eating a fried burrito, I might add).

It had a completely dismembered fetus plastered on the back of the van.

On the drivers side of the van there was a fetus' head being held with a pair of forceps....you could tell the head had been "ripped" from the body....and there seemed to be a look of agony on its face.

I noticed all this with just a glance.

My question to you is......should this be allowed??

Frankly, it made me sick. I know what point they are trying to make, but I would hate to have to answer a little child's question as to what it was.

I read this on FOX News Friday:

"Democrats pulled an Internet ad that showed flag-draped coffins Friday after Republicans and at least two Democrats demanded it be taken down on grounds the image was insensitive."

I don't see how flag draped coffins of a fallen soldier can be insensitive, but a billboard size picture of a mutilated aborted fetus isn't!!

NOTICE - If this thread starts turning in anyway form or fashion political, I will close it.

I am just curious to know what yall think about this kind of "advertisement"....I'm not interested in your beliefs about abortion, etc.

CalallenWildcat
07-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes, it's wrong. Why would anyone show something that sickening to the entire public? That's disturbing. It's very indecent. And quite honestly, a lot of advertisements are becoming indecent. It's getting really bad.

pirate4state
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Yes, it's wrong. Why would anyone show something that sickening to the entire public? That's disturbing. It's very indecent. And quite honestly, a lot of advertisements are becoming indecent. It's getting really bad. ITA!!

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I'd have thrown the burrito at the van, a la Ron Burgundy

Emerson1
07-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Was it an anti-abortion van or a pro-abortion van?

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

:doh:

Adidas410s
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
:doh:

+1

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Please don't tell me you are serious!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I'd have thrown the burrito at the van, a la Ron Burgundy i would have done the same thing. infact when i read she was eating a burrito, i immediately thought that.

Bullaholic
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
I hope the younger folks will induldge me and bear with me on my reply to this thread because it is definitely going to be written from the viewpoint of an "old" guy.

RM, the anti-abortion graphics on the van you encountered are just more of a sign of the changing values of our society. It seems that any means to achieve one's end is permissible now. "Shock" is a permissible form of advertising and expression. There used to be "unwritten" rules of conduct in our society. I can remember a time when adult men in a restaurant would get up and confront anyone using excessively foul language in front of women and children, not because they were on a "power" trip, but because they felt it was wrong and not acceptable. I remember times when businesses tried to make a profit by hard work and good customer service and would not "cross" unwritten gray areas of conduct just to "pad" the bottom line.

I won't go on--I think everyone gets the idea of I think the values in our society have eroded---again, I am old enough to say this. On the other side of the coin, I see a whole generation of the best and brightest young minds in history about to achieve wonderous things for the betterment of mankind. Man, in his greatest incarnation, will seek knowlege for knowledge's sake, but I hope and pray in our zeal of this pursuit that we do not "strip" ourselves of our core values which brought us to this point.

pirate44
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I hope the younger folks will induldge me and bear with me on my reply to this thread because it is definitely going to be written from the viewpoint of an "old" guy.

RM, the anti-abortion graphics on the van you encountered are just more of a sign of the changing values of our society. It seems that any means to achieve one's end is permissible now. "Shock" is a permissible form of advertising and expression. There used to be "unwritten" rules of conduct in our society. I can remember a time when adult men in a restaurant would get up and confront anyone using excessively foul language in front of women and children, not because they were on a "power" trip, but because they felt it was wrong and not acceptable. I remember times when businesses tried to make a profit by hard work and good customer service and would not "cross" unwritten gray areas of conduct just to "pad" the bottom line.

I won't go on--I think everyone gets the idea of I think the values in our society have eroded---again, I am old enough to say this. On the other side of the coin, I see a whole generation of the best and brightest young minds in history about to achieve wonderous things for the betterment of mankind. Man, in his greatest incarnation, will seek knowlege for knowledge's sake, but I hope and pray in our zeal of this pursuit that we do not "strip" ourselves of our core values which brought us to this point.
no need for me to post on here. nice work Bull. especially at the risk of a Lowie.:clap:

Adidas410s
07-17-2006, 10:30 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This post right here should make everybody change their Lowie vote to Bullaholic!!! Great job!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Bullaholic, you bring up some outstanding points. Let's go back in time to say, 1965. Do you think you would see a van with that sort of stuff painted on it? (Yes, I know Roe v. Wade didn't come until 1973)

You hit the nail on the head when you mention that values in our society have eroded. I'm old enough to remember (barely) when things like class and decency mattered. But these days there is a constant "pushing the envelope", a "let's see what we can get away with" type of mentality in society.

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 10:34 AM
On a lighter note...

You say you were driving down the road eating a burrito...

What were you doing with your other hand? Talking on a cell phone,
brushing your hair, putting on make-up, or digging in your purse?
Typical woman driver...:D

Phil C
07-17-2006, 10:35 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

pirate44
07-17-2006, 10:40 AM
just being devil's advocate ( i still think it was wrong of the van), would people be upset if it were 1939 (or whatever the year was before we got in the war in europe and anti-nazi groups in the U.S. had huge signs showing Jews being starved and then the ashes of the incinerated bodies?

CalallenWildcat
07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
just being devil's advocate ( i still think it was wrong of the van), would people be upset if it were 1939 (or whatever the year was before we got in the war in europe and anti-nazi groups in the U.S. had huge signs showing Jews being starved and then the ashes of the incinerated bodies?

Yes!

Adidas410s
07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

and this post alone should have Phil removed from the Sportsmanship Lowie competition!!! :mad:

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM

How can we possibly answer that...it's NOT 1939! I don't wanna look at dead or dying people at any time!!

Phil C
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and this post alone should have Phil removed from the Sportsmanship Lowie competition!!! :mad:

why? :confused:

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
On a lighter note...

You say you were driving down the road eating a burrito...

What were you doing with your other hand? Talking on a cell phone,
brushing your hair, putting on make-up, or digging in your purse?
Typical woman driver...:D

I said I "passed" this truck....I never said that I was the one driving!!

The driver of the vehicle I was riding in passed the truck, therefore, I had to pass it also!!!

Since you are curious about what I was doing with the other hand....I will tell you!!

I was squirting ketchup on my beef and bean burrito!!!:p :p

CalallenWildcat
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM

:D

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
How can we possibly answer that...it's NOT 1939! I don't wanna look at dead or dying people at any time!!

Word...

Adidas410s
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
why? :confused:

because you weren't SHOWING ANY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!! :mad:

Phil C
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
because you weren't SHOWING ANY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!! :mad:

Oh. Ok. It is good to be politically correct! :)

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
I said I "passed" this truck....I never said that I was the one driving!!

The driver of the vehicle I was riding in passed the truck, therefore, I had to pass it also!!!

Since you are curious about what I was doing with the other hand....I will tell you!!

I was squirting ketchup on my beef and bean burrito!!!:p :p

Ketchup on a burrito !?! :eek:

pirate44
07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
you did answer it...i guess

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Ketchup on a burrito !?! :eek:

Hey...you asked!!:D

I don't eat taco sauce (or any of that kind of hot sauce)....always ketchup.

Eat ketchup on my corndogs too.....I hate mustard!

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey...you asked!!:D

I don't eat taco sauce (or any of that kind of hot sauce)....always ketchup.

Eat ketchup on my corndogs too.....I hate mustard!

OMG!

I almost hate to ask this. But do you eat ketchup on your hamburgers also?

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
you did answer it...i guess

I anwered it from my point of view.

Let me throw this out at you. My husbands dad (who I never knew and who died when my husband was 16) served in WWII.

When the war was over...he brought back two ears that he cut off a Japanese man. Somewhere in my house is one of those ears.....I don't wanna know where it is and I don't wanna see it.

I think even if the man was already dead....that is just a sick thing to do anyway, but evidently, that's just how it was then.

We have agreed to disagree on this matter!!

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 11:04 AM
OMG!

I almost hate to ask this. But do you eat ketchup on your hamburgers also?

Ewww...NO!! (you think I am weird or something???):D :D

Mayonaise....I actually prefer Miracle Whip, but that's kinda hard to get on a "take out" burger!

Big Papa
07-17-2006, 11:04 AM
ketchup on hamburgers is acceptable to me.......but on a burrito no that is just wrong

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Big Papa
ketchup on hamburgers is acceptable to me.......but on a burrito no that is just wrong

I always HAVE been a rebel!!;) :p

pirate44
07-17-2006, 11:09 AM
I anwered it from my point of view.

Let me throw this out at you. My husbands dad (who I never knew and who died when my husband was 16) served in WWII.

When the war was over...he brought back two ears that he cut off a Japanese man. Somewhere in my house is one of those ears.....I don't wanna know where it is and I don't wanna see it.

I think even if the man was already dead....that is just a sick thing to do anyway, but evidently, that's just how it was then.

We have agreed to disagree on this matter!!
why do you think i disagree? re-read my (devil's advocate) post.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 11:12 AM
why do you think i disagree? re-read my (devil's advocate) post.

LOL!! I am talking about my husband!!

I think it was wrong to cut the ears off a man you just killed....and then keep them in a jar of formaldehyde for however many years.

He sees nothing wrong with and thinks it's a great souvenier from his dad!

pirate44
07-17-2006, 11:15 AM

I think it was wrong to cut the ears off a man you just killed....and then keep them in a jar of formaldehyde for however many years.

:doh: yeah, i think its all pretty sick.

:doh: stupid stupid stupid :doh:

vet93
07-17-2006, 11:23 AM
While I may agree that people should be aware of the brutality of abortion...I also agree that this was inappropriate and as Bullaholic mentioned...it it a sign of the coarsening of our society. The end does not always justify the means.

vet93
07-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree RM...however, the depth of hatred towards the Japanese for the way they attacked and the way that they treated our servicemen who were captured is a very strong emtotion for those who served in the war.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I agree RM...however, the depth of hatred towards the Japanese for the way they attacked and the way that they treated our servicemen who were captured is a very strong emtotion for those who served in the war.

That's what I gather from listening to my husband....he is an avid fan of anything WWII! I guess that's why I don't make too big of a fuss about it, as long as I don't have to see it all the time.

I think all my boys took the ear to school at least once for "Show and Tell" when they were studying WWII (I think it was 7th grade). When it came time for my daughter to study WWII, the teacher called me and asked that she not bring it up there, she didn't think she could handle seeing it again...LOL!!

Like my daughter would have ever brought a "dead ear" (as she calls it) to school anyway!!:D

AP Panther Fan
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
RM, I agree that the anti-abortion pictures on the van are totally inappropriate. Not only would I not want to be subjected to them, as you said, I sure wouldn't want to have to explain them to my children nor should I have to. I think "those people" have crossed a line and if they think it is their constitutional right....well, I think they are infringing on mine. You can control your children when it comes to viewing an r-rated movie, but you can't control the pictures on the vehicle next to you at a stop sign.

As a side note, same goes with the photos of Al-Zarkawi (sp)....even though I think he was an evil man and deserved what he got.....I still didn't like looking at the picture of him deceased.

JMHO

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Well said. :clap:

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I find it hypocritical that our leaders allow pictures of dead fetuses to be displayed for anti-abortion advertisement, yet do no allow photos of our fallen heroes in order to further the anti-war movement. Both abortion AND war are acts that come as a result of irresponsible parties who cause others to pay the price for their own selfish actions.

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I say show these kinda pics however and whenever possible.....too many kids think abortion is nothing and doesn't really mean anything, since it's so easy to get one. We have to get ALL the info out there, so taking a life doesn't come without some thought. Too many important issues are swept under the carpet just because we "can't stand to look" at them.
FYI......probably weren't too many abortions in 1939 or 1949 or 1959....or even 1969! I raised two girls and I have always pointed out the horrible consequences of bad choices. I agree some things out there are put out there purely for "shock" but I think in this case it's educational and worth it. I would rather my kid see this van and ask me the hard questions, but that's just me.

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:23 PM
It's hard for me to say which way I would go on this matter... I mean was it a REAL picture or a drawing??? Even if real I'm pretty sure that baby didn't want to die...

Soldier's coffins being used in an anti-war advertisement really doesn't bother me IF that soldier said "Hey, I'm against the war, so when I die, you can use a picture of my coffin with the flag on it..."

But if the soldier was for the war, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to be a part of the ad, you get what I mean???

We should really be worried about the myspace.com site, "F%%% The Troops"...

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It's hard for me to say which way I would go on this matter... I mean was it a REAL picture or a drawing??? Even if real I'm pretty sure that baby didn't want to die...

Soldier's coffins being used in an anti-war advertisement really doesn't bother me IF that soldier said "Hey, I'm against the war, so when I die, you can use a picture of my coffin with the flag on it..."

But if the soldier was for the war, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to be a part of it, you get what I mean???

We should really be worried about the myspace.com site, "F%%% The Troops"... I'm with ya on the soldier thing....but does it really matter if it was a pic or a drawing?? I mean real fetuses get ripped apart....not drawings......I mean it's a hard thing to have to see, but it's reality, it's happening, it's the facts.

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I'm with ya on the soldier thing....but does it really matter if it was a pic or a drawing?? I mean real fetuses get ripped apart....not drawings......I mean it's a hard thing to have to see, but it's reality, it's happening, it's the facts.

Well the question of the "real picture" or drawing was because I knew where I was going with the Soldier thing, and in order to avoid contradicting myself I had asked if it was real or drawn...

BUT, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure the baby didn't want to die...

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Well the question of the "real picture" or drawing was because I knew where I was going with the Soldier thing, and in order to avoid contradicting myself I had asked if it was real or drawn...

BUT, as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure the baby didn't want to die... I gotcha!!! :D

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
I gotcha!!! :D

And where in the hell have you been, Miss... or are you not a Miss anymore??? ;) :D

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I highly doubt any soldier has ever defended his or her country with aspirations of death, either.

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
And where in the hell have you been, Miss... or are you not a Miss anymore??? ;) :D It's "Ms." to you, Buster!!! Keeping busy and running around like my head's off!!! I'm never at home!!! How are you??????? Dang it's been hot lately...thank goodness dancing around the mighty oak requires no clothes!!!! :D

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I highly doubt any soldier has ever defended his or her country with aspirations of death, either.

:confused: Are you serious? :rolleyes:

(Compare apples to apples, not to oranges)

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
I highly doubt any soldier has ever defended his or her country with aspirations of death, either. I certainly agree with that!

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:41 PM
thank goodness dancing around the mighty oak requires no clothes!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: haha.....yeah well, least we do it at nite.......and we finish it off with a nice dip in the back pool..... :D :D :p :kiss:

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 12:48 PM
:confused: Are you serious? :rolleyes:

(Compare apples to apples, not to oranges)

Hell, I gotta go back to worth, but to explain this before I leave...

Apple: Baby that has no choice

Orange: Young man or woman who walked into a recruiters office and pledged their services to the United States Military (which we all know and what THEY know sometimes brings death)...

Another Orange: Young man or woman who has the choice to either fight, or run away from the conflict... 99% of them would rather fight and risk death, it is their choice...

And if they DID believe in what they were doing and this war, then they wouldn't want pictures of their coffin (that is a pretty big deal) used to go against their efforts...

If it makes you feel any happier, we can maybe get them to sign papers that say they do not want their pictures used for PRO-war services...

SPF25
07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
i think that their are better ways, positive ways to show their feelings aginst abortion. Here is one example that may not have ment to be one but became one:

In August of 1999, freelance photographer Michael Clancy captured a remarkable image: The hand of a 21 week-old prenatal baby holding a surgeon's finger. Clancy thought the photo might win a Pulitzer Prize. Instead, the picture has generated a lot more controversy than awards.

if you care to see the pic here is the link:

http://www.justfacts.com/clancy.htm

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
It was a real picture...a photograph!!

I can see where YaYa is coming from too....it certainly packs the shock value, that's for sure.

On the other hand, I know what happens during an abortion, I got to see an entire video of one in progress.....by mistake!!

When I lived in California I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. At the time, I didn't have the money to go to the Dr.

My mom set up an appointment for me in Texas because I was coming to visit. They specified I HAD to have a confirmed pregnancy test though. I just went to Planned Parenthood because it was free.

I had my 2-1/2 y/o son and my 9 month old son.....(and I was 4 mo's pregnant). I couldn't understand why they were so shocked that I had my kids with me....nonetheless, they sat me in this room and told me to watch a video....it was of an abortion.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why they had me watch it....but then again, I thought everything was weird in California. They then sent me in to talk to the "Dr"....who went on to explain to me in graphic detail how they would perform MY abortion and what they would do with the fetus (slap it on a cold metal tray and send it off to a lab for experimental testing)!!

You can imagine the shock I felt....I was only there for a pregnancy test.

To this day, all I can think of is how grateful I am that all I had to have for the Dr. in Texas was a positive urine or blood test. If I would have had to have had a pelvic exam...there is no telling what could have happened before I realized they had me mixed up with someone else.......

Then we might not have Ranger Rebel!

pirate44
07-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by SPF25
i think that their are better ways, positive ways to show their feelings aginst abortion. Here is one example that may not have ment to be one but became one:

In August of 1999, freelance photographer Michael Clancy captured a remarkable image: The hand of a 21 week-old prenatal baby holding a surgeon's finger. Clancy thought the photo might win a Pulitzer Prize. Instead, the picture has generated a lot more controversy than awards.

http://www.justfacts.com/clancy.htm
:clap: :clap:

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by SPF25

http://www.justfacts.com/clancy.htm That's a fuzzy warm picture......and I get it....but it hardly shows the true picture of what is happening.......it's easier on the eyes, that's for sure, just not convincing.

pirate44
07-17-2006, 12:57 PM
That's a fuzzy warm picture......and I get it....but it hardly shows the true picture of what is happening.......it's easier on the eyes, that's for sure, just not convincing.
that convinces me of a baby being a living human in the womb more than the van photo would.

pirate44
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
that convinces me of a baby being a living human in the womb more than the van photo would.
by the way, i dont need any photos to convince me, i was speaking as a generality

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
that convinces me of a baby being a living human in the womb more than the van photo would. Oh ok, I'm with ya ........yes it does.

STANG RED
07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
So whats next? A billboard of a fully erect penis, with a condom on it, to advocate birth control?

griff
07-17-2006, 01:37 PM
RangerMom, can you post a picture of the Japanese ears? If not, print a copy and mail it to me. I'd like to make a decal and stick it on my car. :D

IHStangFan
07-17-2006, 01:42 PM

I won't go on--I think everyone gets the idea of I think the values in our society have eroded---again, I am old enough to say this. On the other side of the coin, I see a whole generation of the best and brightest young minds in history about to achieve wonderous things for the betterment of mankind. Man, in his greatest incarnation, will seek knowlege for knowledge's sake, but I hope and pray in our zeal of this pursuit that we do not "strip" ourselves of our core values which brought us to this point. as always Bull, well thought out & well presented accessment, and I couldnt agree more.

spiveyrat
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM

I don't know if there has or hasn't been any American soldiers that had aspirations of death, but I do know the Kamakazi pilots that flew for the Japanese in WWII were volunteers. And then there's the crazy fringe Islamists who want to be martyred. They're not fighting for a country per se as much as they are for a religion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning either!

griff
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
There needs to be more education about the horrors of abortion, however, I would agree that posting pictures on your car is not the right way to do it. I'm particulary opposed to this because of subjecting children to it. In addition, I hate the decals that have become far too common on vehicles, such as...

...the "SH_T happens" slogan

..."If you don't like my driving, call 1-800-EAT-SH_T"

...you've all seen them. I have young children and it burns my hide to see people be so disrespectful. Bullaholic, I'm with you man. I'm one of those "old timers" (only 40 or so) who will make a beef with someone in a restaurant if they use vulgar language within earshot of my children.

Whatever happened to common courtesy and respect for others?

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't know if there has or hasn't been any American soldiers that had aspirations of death, but I do know the Kamakazi pilots that flew for the Japanese in WWII were volunteers. And then there's the crazy fringe Islamists who want to be martyred. They're not fighting for a country per se as much as they are for a religion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning either!

I see where you're coming from, but in both your cases, the cultures of said soldiers glofiy the sacrifice of one for the betterment of the many. We're not really on par with that here in the U.S., thankfully.

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I find it hypocritical that our leaders allow pictures of dead fetuses to be displayed for anti-abortion advertisement, yet do no allow photos of our fallen heroes in order to further the anti-war movement. Both abortion AND war are acts that come as a result of irresponsible parties who cause others to pay the price for their own selfish actions.

Leave it to Blastoderm to try and hijack this thread into a political rant. The topic here was fringe lunatics using tasteless methods to further their cause. The point of the thread was the decline of morality and decency in this country and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the war.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Leave it to Blastoderm to try and hijack this thread into a political rant. The topic here was fringe lunatics using tasteless methods to further their cause. The point of the thread was the decline of morality and decency in this country and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the war.

Exactly....I brought up the flag draped casket for comparison purposes only.....and put a notice that I would close the thread it I didn't like the direction it was going.

That's enough of the talk about the war!!:mad:

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Exactly....I brought up the flag draped casket for comparison purposes only.....and put a notice that I would close the thread it I didn't like the direction it was going.

That's enough of the talk about the war!!:mad:

All I wanted to do was talk about people putting ketchup on
their burritos. :(

spiveyrat
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
All I wanted to do was talk about people putting ketchup on
their burritos. :(

Strange days these are, eh? :D

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 02:21 PM

There was no political agenda behind my initial reply. I merely posted an opinion considering both examples listed by RangerMom.

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
There was no political agenda behind my initial reply. I merely posted an opinion considering both examples listed by RangerMom.

That's the way to add credibility.:clap:

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
So whats next? A billboard of a fully erect penis, with a condom on it, to advocate birth control? Now you're talking!!!! :D

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Is that how you always go about getting your point across? With vulgarities? Nice show of class and decency:clap:

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Leave it to Blastoderm to try and hijack this thread into a political rant. The topic here was fringe lunatics using tasteless methods to further their cause. The point of the thread was the decline of morality and decency in this country and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the war. I have to ask you....what's more indecent and tasteless.......showing pics of what an abortion does or the deed itself?? I guess I know your answer and it's amazing to me.....
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Is that how you always go about getting your point across? With vulgarities? Nice show of class and decency:clap:

There was no vulgarity in my opinions of the topic, so the point should have gotten across nicely. However, don't assume I'll keep my fingers off my keyboard if you continue to pigeon-hole me.

As for class and decency, well, I'm not the one putting pictures of aborted fetuses on my van, so I suppose I'm in the clear. The thing that gets me is the complete lack of privacy these women are receiving. How does a free-lance photographer get into Planned Parenthood and get a glimpse of a fetus on a metal tray? Ladies, does this not concern you? What's next? Shall they photograph your mammograms?

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
As for the pictures on the van, I am in complete agreement with you. It is tasteless, sick and disgusting and is a vivid example of the decline of decency in this country.

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
There was no vulgarity in my opinions of the topic, so the point should have gotten across nicely. However, don't assume I'll keep my fingers off my keyboard if you continue to pigeon-hole me.

As for class and decency, well, I'm not the one putting pictures of aborted fetuses on my van, so I suppose I'm in the clear. The thing that gets me is the complete lack of privacy these women are receiving. How does a free-lance photographer get into Planned Parenthood and get a glimpse of a fetus on a metal tray? Ladies, does this not concern you? What's next? Shall they photograph your mammograms? Are you kidding me?? What the heck is decent about an abortion? A woman might deem it necessary, that is her decision....but we sit here and say pictures on a van is classless and indecent??? I give up....keep them rose colored glasses on America.......outta site, outta mind......

:rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
As for the pictures on the van, I am in complete agreement with you. It is tasteless, sick and disgusting and is a vivid example of the decline of decency in this country. The decline of decency in this country has nothing to do with what's painted on the side of a van......wake up people!!!!

Sweetwater Red
07-17-2006, 03:45 PM
The decline of decency in this country has nothing to do with what's painted on the side of a van......wake up people!!!!

So what do you suggest we do? What steps would you take to
resolve this problem?

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
The thing that gets me is the complete lack of privacy these women are receiving. How does a free-lance photographer get into Planned Parenthood and get a glimpse of a fetus on a metal tray? Ladies, does this not concern you? What's next? Shall they photograph your mammograms?

I may be way off base here, but if a woman makes this choice, I'm sure the picture of the "after effect" is the last thing on her mind.....she obviously didn't care about it inutero.....why should she care now??

AP Panther Fan
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I still don't have to like the idea of pasting pictures of an aborted fetus on the side of a van....it is one example of many indecencies in today's society. Two wrongs won't make it right.....

Rabbit'93
07-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Great topic RM! I had an encounter with a situation like this a while back.

Off of Greenville Ave, close to 635 in Dallas some "protesters" were carrying around signs of dead fetuses and grisly images of babies. I was in one car and my wife and 2 sons, at the time, were in another behind me. Just so happens the place we were going was next to an "abortion" clinic. I pull in to a spot away from the crowd and my wife (god love her) pulls into one close to the clinic. I guess the morons holding the signs thought she was heading into the clininc and bombarded her car. Needless to say my two sons(7 & 3 at the time) were scared to death. Only after pulled my wife away from the dude in the grim reaper costume, did they realize we were not going where they thought. Some "preacher" then proceeded to tell us that we(including my kids) needed to see those images. Instead of apologizing for traumatizing my kids.

Long story short. There are better, usually less offensive ways to get your point across. resulting to something of that nature means you either ran out of ideas or are not that smart to begin with. Needless to say I will always protect my kids from idiots when their agendas have nothing to do with my family. They're not the ones sleeping with them at night because they still see "all the bloody babies".

Bandera YaYa
07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
So what do you suggest we do? What steps would you take to
resolve this problem? That's a hard question, but what I have been responding to, is the notion that this van is the devil, instead of what the real problem is.....Education, education, education I guess is a start.....everything is too dang easy to fix these days, without little or no concern. That's all I am saying. I could never have an abortion, but I think it's a personal choice and we all have to live with our choices. I agree the van is showing a horrible reality, I cringe at those pics too...but harsh reality is harsh reality.

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 03:57 PM
I may be way off base here, but if a woman makes this choice, I'm sure the picture of the "after effect" is the last thing on her mind.....she obviously didn't care about it inutero.....why should she care now??

So you wouldn't mind some stranger taking pictures of you next time you were at the doctor's office? I sure would. Put your disagreement with her choice aside. Patients shouldn't have to deal with papparrazzi.

Big Papa
07-17-2006, 04:02 PM
im sure that photographer didn;t just force his way into the room...that lady made the choice to let him in and take the picture just like she made the choice to get an abortion..and i don;t agree with either of those choices

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 04:04 PM
So you wouldn't mind some stranger taking pictures of you next time you were at the doctor's office? I sure would. Put your disagreement with her choice aside. Patients shouldn't have to deal with papparrazzi.

Did you not read the post I made about my encounter with Planned Parenthood???

You have to sign a release, after you abort the fetus, you no longer have any say so about what happens to it.

And, nowhere on that van did I see a picture of a disgraught and/or relieved woman....all I saw was mangled babies.

QUOTE FROM BAKERSFIELD CA PLANNED PARENTHOOD: "The fetus will be slapped on a cold metal tray and sent to a laboratory to be used in medical experiments"...(or something like that is...it's been 17 years)!!

Had I signed the release, I would have no say so WHAT they did with the baby.....I don't see how my privacy would be invaded at all!!

Blastoderm55
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Did you not read the post I made about my encounter with Planned Parenthood???

You have to sign a release, after you abort the fetus, you no longer have any say so about what happens to it.

And, nowhere on that van did I see a picture of a disgraught and/or relieved woman....all I saw was mangled babies.

QUOTE FROM BAKERSFIELD CA PLANNED PARENTHOOD: "The fetus will be slapped on a cold metal tray and sent to a laboratory to be used in medical experiments"...(or something like that is...it's been 17 years)!!

Had I signed the release, I would have no say so WHAT they did with the baby.....I don't see how my privacy would be invaded at all!!

Oh ok, I thought the photos included the process of the abortion. I was mistaken. So are the aborted fetuses the test samples for current stem cell research?

spiveyrat
07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Oh ok, I thought the photos included the process of the abortion. I was mistaken. So are the aborted fetuses the test samples for current stem cell research?

I think in some cases, they are.

spiveyrat
07-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't like the word fetus. It's a baby.

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Oh ok, I thought the photos included the process of the abortion.?

You're probably the only one, it was pretty clear what she was talking about... but I guess folks add a little to every story to gain their own edge on the arguement (And you couldn't even do that)...

But back to the topic I can honestly see how people can be offended by the picture... maybe a less offensive way can be used...

I personally enjoy the signs in between Victoria and Hallettsville (and one in Shulenburg and one in Hallettsville)... basically it just says "Respect Life" with a picture of a fetus-baby....

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't like the word fetus. It's a baby.

I agree...but technically, while inutero, it's a fetus!

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Listen here, Ms. Technical, stop being specific :p :p :p :D :D

Ranger Mom
07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
You're probably the only one, it was pretty clear what she was talking about...

In his defense, I DID make a post about having to watch a film of an abortion in progress at one time...that may be where he got that from.

Gobbla2001
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
In his defense, I DID make a post about having to watch a film of an abortion in progress at one time...that may be where he got that from.

Yah, I read that, that is crazy, glad you did the right thing..... Ms. Technical :D

SWMustang
07-17-2006, 09:57 PM

inutero - I thought that was one of Nirvana's best...

big daddy russ
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
I only read the first post, but I have this to say: I'm pro-life. Always have been, always will be. On that note, what was on the side of that van was horrible. There are some people out there who go Nazi with that stuff and take it way overboard. MANY of the pro-life groups use 'hate' campaigns instead of information campaigns, and that makes me angry to no end.

To me, it's a group that's a lot like MADD. It's a group that many politicians are scared to stand up to because of the public relations nightmare and the money. Who wants to tell the mother of a child that was killed by a drunk driver that he won't vote for a bill that brings back prohibition?

Let's imagine for a moment that it's the year 2030, this representative is Catholic, and that the reason he's against this prohibition bill is because it interferes with mass. Unfortunately, by this time MADD has systematically (over the course of 24 years) convinced everyone that it is better that alcohol just go away.

Just one example, and maybe a little far-fetched, but this is the same thing.

You could say the same about the pro-life groups and the religious right, especially here in Texas.

Sorry if that's a little too political mods. You're welcome to delete the post if you like.

Bull Butter
07-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I only read the first post, but I have this to say: I'm pro-life. Always have been, always will be. On that note, what was on the side of that van was horrible. There are some people out there who go Nazi with that stuff and take it way overboard. MANY of the pro-life groups use 'hate' campaigns instead of information campaigns, and that makes me angry to no end.

To me, it's a group that's a lot like MADD. It's a group that many politicians are scared to stand up to because of the public relations nightmare and the money. Who wants to tell the mother of a child that was killed by a drunk driver that he won't vote for a bill that brings back prohibition?

Let's imagine for a moment that it's the year 2030, this representative is Catholic, and that the reason he's against this prohibition bill is because it interferes with mass. Unfortunately, by this time MADD has systematically (over the course of 24 years) convinced everyone that it is better that alcohol just go away.

Just one example, and maybe a little far-fetched, but this is the same thing.

You could say the same about the pro-life groups and the religious right, especially here in Texas.

Sorry if that's a little too political mods. You're welcome to delete the post if you like.

Not that far fetched. I've always been of the opinion that while MADD has done many good things, their ultimate goal is to bring back prohibition.

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I've always been of the opinion that while MADD has done many good things, their ultimate goal is to bring back prohibition. Are you kidding me???? Wow....... That's a pretty lame thing to say about this group. Amazing...... :(

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Are you kidding me???? Wow....... That's a pretty lame thing to say about this group. Amazing...... :( Not everyone has to agree. MADD has ALOT to be proud of, but I agree with BDR & Bull if it were left up to MADD they'd wipe out alcohol.

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Not everyone has to agree. MADD has ALOT to be proud of, but I agree with BDR & Bull if it were left up to MADD they'd wipe out alcohol. If someone killed a child or loved one of mine, you can bet your booties, I'd feel the same damn way, and I would hope you would too! THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING......too many people put something like alcohol and getting wasted above a precious life....SELFISH SELFISH world.
:mad:If I had to vote on doing away with alcohol, knowing that a life was going to be taken because of it....well that's a no brainer in my book!

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 09:33 PM
If someone killed a child or loved one of mine, you can bet your booties, I'd feel the same damn way, and I would hope you would too! THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING......too many people put something like alcohol and getting wasted above a precious life....SELFISH SELFISH world.
:mad:If I had to vote on doing away with alcohol, knowing that a life was going to be taken because of it....well that's a no brainer in my book! I have had someone taken by a drunk driver. So just chill out. I don't put alcohol and getting wated above life. :rolleyes:

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have had someone taken by a drunk driver. So just chill out. I don't put alcohol and getting wated above life. :rolleyes: I didn't mean YOU ...I was saying people in general......

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-18-2006, 09:58 PM
If someone killed a child or loved one of mine, you can bet your booties, I'd feel the same damn way, and I would hope you would too! THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING......too many people put something like alcohol and getting wasted above a precious life....SELFISH SELFISH world.
:mad:If I had to vote on doing away with alcohol, knowing that a life was going to be taken because of it....well that's a no brainer in my book!

What I think is selfish is for you to put your personal beliefs in front of the beliefs of others. You are saying that there should be a ban on alcohol because someone used it irresponsibly. The same principle can apply to someone who is a negligent driver and causes an accident that causes a fatality because they weren't paying attention. You cannot allow the irresponsible actions of one person build your beliefs and have your beliefs go ahead of the beliefs of others. For the record I do not drink alcohol, but you have to look outside of yourself and the possibility of your problems to the beliefs and rights of others every once in a while.

mustang04
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What I think is selfish is for you to put your personal beliefs in front of the beliefs of others. You are saying that there should be a ban on alcohol because someone used it irresponsibly. The same principle can apply to someone who is a negligent driver and causes an accident that causes a fatality because they weren't paying attention. You cannot allow the irresponsible actions of one person build your beliefs and have your beliefs go ahead of the beliefs of others. For the record I do not drink alcohol, but you have to look outside of yourself and the possibility of your problems to the beliefs and rights of others every once in a while.

yall see that right there???? ^

thats why he's my cousin:)

pirate4state
07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
What I think is selfish is for you to put your personal beliefs in front of the beliefs of others. You are saying that there should be a ban on alcohol because someone used it irresponsibly. The same principle can apply to someone who is a negligent driver and causes an accident that causes a fatality because they weren't paying attention. You cannot allow the irresponsible actions of one person build your beliefs and have your beliefs go ahead of the beliefs of others. For the record I do not drink alcohol, but you have to look outside of yourself and the possibility of your problems to the beliefs and rights of others every once in a while. :clap: nice post! :thumbsup:

piratebg
07-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
inutero - I thought that was one of Nirvana's best...

I firmly agree. Inutero was one kick @$$ album.

My name is piratebg and I approve this message. :thumbsup:

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
What I think is selfish is for you to put your personal beliefs in front of the beliefs of others. You are saying that there should be a ban on alcohol because someone used it irresponsibly. The same principle can apply to someone who is a negligent driver and causes an accident that causes a fatality because they weren't paying attention. You cannot allow the irresponsible actions of one person build your beliefs and have your beliefs go ahead of the beliefs of others. For the record I do not drink alcohol, but you have to look outside of yourself and the possibility of your problems to the beliefs and rights of others every once in a while. Oh lordy.....yes I would ban alcohol to save a life, but that is not reality and not going to happen, I know that. I was just saying if I had powers to stop a senseless drunk related death, like I had a magic wand, to get rid of all the alcohol to prevent it, then yes I would do it.
I didn't say that all people who drink are going to hell and are going to end up killing someone...did I?? You say I can't have my befiefs go ahead of the beliefs of others??? What the hell are you trying to say?? That's what a belief IS.....geezzzzzz.....???? But you are correct about one thing.....if a drunk driver would look outside of his/her self, and the possibility of his/her problems.... and actually give a damn about the beliefs and rights of others driving on the same road as him/her.....now that wouldn't that be something!! :thinking: :thinking: I do appreciate your belief and the right to say it.......... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
like I had a magic wand, to get rid of all the alcohol to prevent it, then yes I would do it.

There's always the mighty oak tree and eye of newt!!:p :p

Just trying to add a little humor here!!

I never meant this thread to go on like this...I was just curious how everyone else thought about driving innocently down the road and seeing THAT all the sudden!!

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
There's always the mighty oak tree and eye of newt!!:p :p

Just trying to add a little humor here!!

I never meant this thread to go on like this...I was just curious how everyone else thought about driving innocently down the road and seeing THAT all the sudden!! No, it's good to think about such important issues......just didn't know it was so selfish to have your own beliefs......yeah I thought about throwing a newt into the pot...but I have my last one reserved for someone special!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

Ranger Mom
07-19-2006, 01:03 PM
No, it's good to think about such important issues......just didn't know it was so selfish to have your own beliefs......yeah I thought about throwing a newt into the pot...but I have my last one reserved for someone special!!!! :eek: :eek: :D

Then I guess I am selfish then....I believe what I believe, and I may not try to shove those beliefs down anyone's throat, but I stick by them, no matter what.

BBDE does too, as we well know!!;)

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Then I guess I am selfish then....I believe what I believe, and I may not try to shove those beliefs down anyone's throat, but I stick by them, no matter what.

BBDE does too, as we well know!!;) I didn't think I was shoving my beliefs down anyone's throat, but maybe it looked that way......if so, my bad.....I thought I was merely stating my befief on the subject....but I am very passionate about what I believe in and what I think hurts us a human beings. (still saving that newt......!!) :D:eek: :D

Ranger Mom
07-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I didn't think I was shoving my beliefs down anyone's throat, but maybe it looked that way......if so, my bad.....I thought I was merely stating my befief on the subject....but I am very passionate about what I believe in and what I think hurts us a human beings. (still saving that newt......!!) :D:eek: :D

Oops...I didn't mean for that to sound like I thought that was what you were doing.

That was mainly for BBDE....he is one of the most passionate kids, as far as what he believes, I think I have ever met!

I just found it rather ironic that he would post what he did!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Yaya, I was never saying that you are wrong for having your beliefs, only that you trying to make it out like the beliefs of other people are inferior to your own is. The only reason I posted was to make it evident that your logic was not tolerant of the beliefs that others might have. I never said that you were damning anyone to hell because they drank alcohol, you threw that out there yourself. Negligence and irresponsibility cannot result in the loss of rights and beliefs of the masses only because you want it to. It's not always going to be how you want it, when you want it. You have to learn to respect the wishes of other people and be tolerant of the beliefs of others, not simply assume that the world revolves around you and your train of thought is superior to everyone elses.

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Yaya, I was never saying that you are wrong for having your beliefs, only that you trying to make it out like the beliefs of other people are inferior to your own is. The only reason I posted was to make it evident that your logic was not tolerant of the beliefs that others might have. I never said that you were damning anyone to hell because they drank alcohol, you threw that out there yourself. Negligence and irresponsibility cannot result in the loss of rights and beliefs of the masses only because you want it to. It's not always going to be how you want it, when you want it. You have to learn to respect the wishes of other people and be tolerant of the beliefs of others, not simply assume that the world revolves around you and your train of thought is superior to everyone elses. Ok I see what you are saying, but I never think the world revolves around me......that would be kinda boring!!! I think we both kinda misunderstood each other to some extent, but I gotcha now. Peace!! :)

mustang04
07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
...i LOVE ALL of YOU:( :(

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
...i LOVE ALL of YOU:( :( No you don't......you were mean to me!!! :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping: