PDA

View Full Version : Kinne Chooses Baylor

CalallenWildcat
07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Thoughts?

Snydertigersrul
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
No big surprise since they hired his daddy last spring. Of course, his daddy is a alum and former Bear.

Emerson1
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
So that's why daddy went to coach there.

sahen
07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
as i said in teh other thread.....

his dad was a great player here and a pretty good highschool coach, if his dad can coach the linebackers to play like he did then we r gonna be pretty darn good and if his son has an impact on baylor football like his dad did then watch out for the bears in a couple years....

Emerson1
07-16-2006, 10:20 PM
He isn't that good, he won't take a recruiting class that's dead last in the big12 to greatness.

injuredinmelee
07-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by sahen
as i said in teh other thread.....

his dad was a great player here and a pretty good highschool coach, if his dad can coach the linebackers to play like he did then we r gonna be pretty darn good and if his son has an impact on baylor football like his dad did then watch out for the bears in a couple years....

would be good if yall had something to go along with Kinne.

wildstangs
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Great pickup for Baylor. I dont ever see Baylor winning the Big 12 South while he is there, but the Bears are definitely improving. He will lead them to a couple of bowl games.

sahen
07-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He isn't that good, he won't take a recruiting class that's dead last in the big12 to greatness.
our recruiting class isnt dead last in the big 12 this year....we r getting better, the days of Baylor being a bye week are over....

Fal44
07-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I am rooting for Baylor this year hopefully they can get into a bowl

kaorder1999
07-16-2006, 10:28 PM
get into a bowl....? now that would be wild

sahen
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
get into a bowl....? now that would be wild hide and watch next year, we were 1 win from getting in one last year with 2 of the losses in OT, one at college station and a double OT loss to the sooners in norman....we get 7 games at home this year, it can happen....

KL3
07-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Solid, not great pickup for Baylor. The kid is ranked the #5 QB in the state according to Rivals and the #69 player overall in the state. He is a 3 star. Pretty funny to see recruits ranked where he is having their committments on t.v. now-a-days.

kaorder1999
07-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Solid, not great pickup for Baylor. The kid is ranked the #5 QB in the state according to Rivals and the #69 player overall in the state. He is a 3 star. Pretty funny to see recruits ranked where he is having their committments on t.v. now-a-days.

that is exactly what i thought....the 69th best player in the state getting to make ther announcement on FSN. that is funny

sahen
07-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Solid, not great pickup for Baylor. The kid is ranked the #5 QB in the state according to Rivals and the #69 player overall in the state. He is a 3 star. Pretty funny to see recruits ranked where he is having their committments on t.v. now-a-days. if you would see our recruiting classes from the past couple of years then you would think a great pickup for the bears...i thought it was kinda weird he had in on tv but oh well, still any texas top 100 players for baylor is a huge improvement on waht we were getting say 3 or 4 years ago....

kaorder1999
07-16-2006, 10:40 PM
true....

sahen
07-16-2006, 10:41 PM
nm

IHStangFan
07-16-2006, 10:49 PM
interesting, I'll have to keep an eye on this guy.

44INAROW
07-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Dangit, I've always been a Baylor fan (Cuero connections in the past) Oh well, we'll see what happens..... it's a LONG time before Feb OFFICIAL signing day :eek:

sahen
07-16-2006, 11:19 PM
im confused Cuero....r u mad we got Kinne or happy?

big daddy russ
07-16-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Solid, not great pickup for Baylor. The kid is ranked the #5 QB in the state according to Rivals and the #69 player overall in the state. He is a 3 star.
Couple of things I picked up on:

1. When you're the fifth-best QB in the state (well, he's actually the sixth best... two prospects ahead of him are listed as QB's, three are athletes who could play QB) but you're the 69th-best prospect, that's more of an indication of the level of QB's in Texas this year than it is of the talent level of the kid himself.

2. I know there's a growing resentment towards Kinne, but he'll be a great college QB, whether you want it to happen or not. The key word there is what you want. Root for or against him, HE IS THE GUY who will turn that Baylor program around.

Originally posted by Emerson1
3. This year's class, combined with last year's class, is shaping up to be a solid two years of recruits. They have a great corps of OL in '07. They have one of the most underrated prospects in the state at DT. They also got a great athlete out of Marlin last year who can play QB, WR, or DB and play them all at a high level, along with track star WR David Gettis (who should be one of the best WRs in the Big XII before it's all said and done) and a couple of nice DB's.

4. The keys to these recruiting classes are Gettis, Kinne, and that DT I was talking about. He's a 300+ lb. recruit out of tiny Iola, TX. A coach's son who's listed as a DT, but plays RB and LB on his HS team. Rivals says he runs a 5.26 40. My eyes said differently (Iola was one of the only teams I got to see last year... he's definitely under a 5.0, maybe even in the 4.8-range). Mark it down right now... he will be a first team All-Big XII player by his senior year. Rex McDougal is his name.

While the Sooners, Longhorns, and Aggies laugh at all the three-star recruits that Baylor's hauling in, it's those kinds of recruits that build a team. If you can get three-star prospects who live up to their three-star billing at every position on the team, you're going to have a damn tough squad. That's what Auburn did to Alabama under Pat Dye in the early 80's. While the Crimson Tide was only worried about all the high-profile recruits, Dye went after all the three-star prospects, including a Crimson Tide fan who was rejected by Coach Bear Bryant. Vincent Edward Jackson went on to become one of the top two or three college RB's of all time, and became known to the rest of the world as "Bo." Dye systematically turned all those three-star recruits into a team that had no glaring weaknesses and was one of the dominant teams of the 1980's. To me, it looks like Morriss is doing the same thing.

sahen
07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
big daddy i hope you are right, i see it that way as well and i really hope we can keep morriss....he is doing some good things at baylor right now....

big daddy russ
07-17-2006, 12:38 AM
big daddy i hope you are right, i see it that way as well and i really hope we can keep morriss....he is doing some good things at baylor right now....
Definitely. I have two big sticking points as to why I think Baylor may be rising in a conference (the Big XII South) where upward movement is damn-near impossible.

1. He's recruiting athletes-- If you're the head coach of a Vanderbilt, Northwestern, or, let's say, a Baylor, how could you get some phenomenal athletes on your team without competing as hard against the A&M's and UT's? You recruit athletes. Morriss sees guys (like Marlin's Jeremy Sanders) that are just so athletic they can play either their HS position (Sanders was a QB) or can slide somewhere else. The thing is, you get a bunch of guys like that who played one position in HS but project even better at another, and you're effectively recruiting blue chip prospects. Take a look at quite a few of Baylor's recruits. Rivals may say they're a DT or a LB, but most of these kids played somewhere else in HS and therefore are less-recruited to play their projected positions in college. The perfect examples, IMO, are either playing or used to play for the University of Texas-- Henry Melton and Aaron Harris. Both were three-star recruits who took starting jobs away from blue chip prospects.

2. He's building from the inside out--- By pretty much all accounts, these recruits are Baylor's best since the late-80's or early-90's. Hell, this (http://texas.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1330) website says that Lonnie Edwards (53rd-ranked prospect) is the best OL prospect to come through Waco since 1997. You always build from the inside out. If you get caught up in the flash and ego of the skill kids, you sometimes lose sight of the guys who protect them. Just look at what it did to Oklahoma last year (although I think Stoops realized how light he was on the OL and fixed it... a nice group of kids should mature this year). Morriss is building the foundation of his house before he gets to the details. He has three 3-star OL lined up in the class of '07 and one that committed this past year. Furthermore, he has two 3-star DT's and one 3-star DE between the classes of '06 and '07. Combine that with the fact that he's shored up the defensive secondary and the QB situation (three 3-star DB's in '06, Kinne and Sanders both can play QB) and he has the makings of a nice little squad.

...which brings me to my next huge deal. They have the next stud DT (one of those 3-stars) coming to Waco in the fall of '07. If you want to watch him, he's playing in Iola in between Waco and here. This kid will be better, will be more disruptive than Rodrigue Wright or Frank Okam when it's all said and done. Morriss knows what he's doing.

sicem74
07-17-2006, 12:41 AM
great to hear this news ssssssssssssssic em lol

sahen
07-17-2006, 01:01 AM
wow first i have heard from sicem for a while......i have heard that Sanders is a beast russ and i hope that he turns out, i think he is supposed to be a defensive back for us so we will see waht happens.....i'll keep my eyes opened for the McDougal kid and if i get some free time i'll see if me and some friends can go watch him, we have done that on bye weeks before but normally we just go to Waco ISD stadium, one year we had 3 recruits from Waco High so we went and watched them...it might take a bit more convincing to get them to go watch Iola than to go watch Waco High haha, but if he can run as fast as you say he can and is really that big then he will be a beast at DT....

big daddy russ
07-17-2006, 01:17 AM
If you get a chance you should check him out. An absolute beast. Here's (http://texasprepxtra.rivals.com/hsHighSchool.asp?Year=2006&School=1269) Iola's schedule. If none of these work, you'll probably be able to catch them in the playoffs.

sahen
07-17-2006, 01:44 AM
just to let u know russ, Sanders isnt on the roster this year on baylor's site so i dont think he qualified, though hopefully im wrong....maybe he can go to a juco and get his grades up so he can qualify to play next year if he didnt make the grades this year....

big daddy russ
07-17-2006, 01:46 AM
just to let u know russ, Sanders isnt on the roster this year on baylor's site so i dont think he qualified, though hopefully im wrong....maybe he can go to a juco and get his grades up so he can qualify to play next year if he didnt make the grades this year....
Oh, that sucks. Hopefully, he gets his grades up. He was still probably a year or two away from playing anyways, but he was a nice player.

Aesculus gilmus
07-17-2006, 07:13 AM
I wish Kinne great success against everyone but the Longhorns.

As for why this would be worthy of television, you have to think back over the last 15 months or so. He and his father have literally lived the "Kinne saga" with all they have been through. It is a great human interest story.

AggieJohn
07-17-2006, 07:26 AM
morriss is smart for picking up athletes, cause fran just picks up head cases

KTJ
07-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Good pickup for Baylor.

Dogman_1969
07-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Remember 2 things

1. Recruiting rankings don't mean much. There are thousands of ranked players that never turn out.

2. Baylor isn't a bye week. Just ask the Ag's...........

KL3
07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Big Daddy, you mean to tell me that having a class filled with 2 and 3 star committs is going to do big things for Baylor. Sure, they probably are going to get them back to respectability, but the committments they are getting right now will get them .500 seasons, nothing much more.

That big time Dtackle you are talking about from Iola, I think Baylor might have been his only offer. Don't kid yourself thinking Baylor is recruiting well. Better than they have, sure, but they are still getting leftovers.

KL3
07-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Thought this was pretty funny. Seems Florida never even offered Kinne either. So pretty much he had 1 school that wanted him as a QB....Baylor.

This is from Smoaky.com....

"Thanks for your interest...but unless I've missed something, there's really no reason to announce anything.

After numerous phone calls, and a lot of "digging", if you look at G.J.'s list of "favorites", the only school that I know for a fact has offered him a scholarship, is Baylor.

Tennessee never did, USC and UT never did...OU never did...and based on conversations with members of the Gilmer coaching staff, Florida never did.

It's common procedure and protocol for a college recruiter to contact the high school football coach when they're about to, or have already offered a scholarship.

The only program on record that's done so is Baylor.

The previously reported visit to Gainesville, Florida mentions July 21st weekend, but if you read anything out of UF...Kinne is rarely mentioned, plus they have two highly-ranked blue-chips who've just arrived on campus (remember, Jevan Snead changed his commitment from Florida to UT after another blue-chip QB committed to Florida). July 21st is "next" weekend...and that trip might never occur.

I like G.J. quite a bit...he and I have a solid relationship...but there's something weird going on.

Back in the early-Spring, a family member told me G.J. would make his announcement on my afternoon sports talk show...and then, while I was on vacation, I was told about the FSN press release about Sunday night's announcement.

When I contacted G.J. about a week ago, he said he'd call me on Sunday afternoon and allow me to release the information on Smoaky.com.

Since then, my calls to him and calls to other members of the family haven't been returned, and they've ALWAYS returned my calls throughout the past year. In fact, not even his high school coach has had phone calls returned for about a week.

I still might get that call on Sunday afternoon, but based on the past week, I'm not expecting anything.

Quite frankly, based on my previous information, I'm not sure there's a reason to make the announcement anyway, there doesn't appear to be a choice, other than the one offer we know about.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Thanks for your interest, and have a great summer.

Smoaky"

Also, Kinne's HS coach wrote on Rivals this morning admitting that Florida never offered him.

yoemenkracker30
07-17-2006, 12:39 PM

District303aPastPlayer
07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
bye bye :)

KL3
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by yoemenkracker30
thats one hell of a ***** 3 star to be recruited by
Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee, USC, and Texas A&M

yoemen, all of those schools send out letters and invite hundreds and hundreds of kids to camps every year. To say that you are getting recruited is not much these days.

Get a clue.

And, Kinne is not a "*****" 3 star. He is a good pickup for Bayor, but there was not a decent program that wanted him to be their QB.

District303aPastPlayer
07-17-2006, 01:04 PM
uhhh bye bye the two of you

yoemenkracker30
07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by KL3
yoemen, all of those schools send out letters and invite hundreds and hundreds of kids to camps every year. To say that you are getting recruited is not much these days.

Get a clue.

And, Kinne is not a "*****" 3 star. He is a good pickup for Bayor, but there was not a decent program that wanted him to be their QB.

by calling him that I was referring to I think he is underrated

JasperDog94
07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
You guys are just missing the real story here. It's obvious that Kinne just feels safer at Baylor. Now if Baylor can just keep him off the field for most of the pregame warmup time so that nobody threatens him, he'll do just fine.

panther power
07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
well....atleast he will get an education?

big daddy russ
07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Big Daddy, you mean to tell me that having a class filled with 2 and 3 star committs is going to do big things for Baylor. Sure, they probably are going to get them back to respectability, but the committments they are getting right now will get them .500 seasons, nothing much more.

That big time Dtackle you are talking about from Iola, I think Baylor might have been his only offer. Don't kid yourself thinking Baylor is recruiting well. Better than they have, sure, but they are still getting leftovers.
As far as the three-stars, that's exactly what Auburn did in the early-80's. Get the guys you can to fit the system you want.

The DT may have only had one major offer, but that doesn't mean much. He'll be a hoss. You can bank on it.

KL3
07-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
uhhh bye bye the two of you

What are you talking about? All I did was quote what he said to make my point. To be totally honest, I don't even know what those symbols are meant to stand for.