PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

luvhoops34
07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I keep getting the message that my computer is low on virtual memory. Is this something I can fix?

Keith7
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
don't run so many programs at once

AggieJohn
07-13-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah he's basically right

big daddy russ
07-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Run a spyware/adware sweep. If there's a whole lot of background programs running, that's your problem. If not, either do what Keith said or get some more memory.

Emerson1
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Go to the control panel then to add/remove programs and delete stuff you never use.

big daddy russ
07-13-2006, 11:44 PM
One more thing I almost forgot about...

-Click on the "Start" menu at the bottom left of Windows.

-Then click on "Run" and type in "msconfig."

-Click on the "Startup" tab at the top of the popup window, and uncheck every box except for your utilities (adware sweepes, anti virus, etc.).

-Another popup will come up asking if you want to restart your computer. Do it.

These are all the programs that your computer starts up everytime you turn it on. When you restart your computer, you'll notice that Windows boots up much quicker.

A lot of times, programs will install themselves into the backgrounds of computers and bog down your memory. AIM and Yahoo IM are notorious for this--- that's why I have neither.

Actually, AIM installs spyware onto your computer when you download the program. Ever have that "Weatherbug" program that you have to accept in order for AIM to run? It's a double whammy- both adware and spyware. For that matter, AIM is a double whammy. It installs both itself and several spyware programs.

Also, anytime you start up AIM, it installs itself into your startup options and also puts all that spyware (I'm not sure exactly how many programs you get, but I know it's at least four) into your startup menu, too. That means that everytime you use AIM, you have to go back to the "msconfig" menu and take it out of your startup options.

AIM and all the components that are installed with it are memory eaters even when they're idle (when they're not running up on your screen) and that's probably taking up tons of memory.

Emerson1
07-13-2006, 11:56 PM
If you do that, only uncheck things you recognize. There will be alot of things and most of them need to start.

AIM shouldn't add adware/spyware if you have the latest version. I know limewire bogs down the computer alot and it most likley starts up at launch.

big daddy russ
07-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
AIM shouldn't add adware/spyware if you have the latest version.
Weatherbug isn't on there anymore, but a new version of Gator has taken its place.