PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else make $15 an hour at their summer job?

football4life
07-13-2006, 04:45 PM
well i have to say that i am very fortunate as far as my summer job. i work my own hours, schedule my own clients, and didn't have to pay for my equipment. I run "The Car Spa - Mobile wash and detail." I have a small trailer, a 300 gallon water tank, a generator, and power washer, along with chemicals such as glass cleaner, armor-all, soap, stuff like scents and bug remover, and the all-mighty all purpose cleaner. all i pay for is the refills on some of the chemicals. Everything is owned by my aunt and uncle, and since my cousin no longer runs it, it was passed down to me. i charge $25-35 per car, inside and out, and it takes about 2 hours per car. This week i have worked about 17 hours and made $280, most people pay me $5-10 extra than what i charge! if there is nothing like this in your town, i would strongly recommend looking into this, as the business is non-stop and the money is very good. i don't even work afternoons, since it's hot and i'm lazy.

DU_stud04
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
i get 15 an hour when its a nonevent hours....which basically is all of my hours cause i work in the wharehouse pretty much only now. not bad when your getting 40+ in. keep my pocket content for now.

AggieJohn
07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
i made 230 an hour one time when i sold tickets to a roger clemens game...
too bad i only had the ability towork for an hour

olddawggreen
07-13-2006, 07:15 PM
My oldest son is working as a "Trainee" Assistant Landman this summer, based on an 8 hour day he's being paid $15.00 per hour, plus $30.00 per day for meals, $0.445 per mile and is reimbursed for motel and all expenses. I told him if he didn't eat, he would be making $18.75 per hour:D He hasn't bought into that yet.:eek:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm my father's indentured servant, and I don't get paid at all. I did get to haul 150 square bales in the other day, all by myself...no driver or anything. Now that is fun, especially when you don't get paid! :D

Bulldog_12
07-13-2006, 09:32 PM
GEEZ, you guys lucked out. I am making 6.15 an hour for four days a week.:(

neck_06
07-13-2006, 09:33 PM
i make $30 in 45 minutes to an hour..............does that count?

Bulldog_12
07-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
i make $30 in 45 minutes to an hour..............does that count?

wow. Mine sucks because all I do is sit behind a desk at the 12th Man Foundation and call people all day. Boring as crap, but easy money I guess.....

olddawggreen
07-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm my father's indentured servant, and I don't get paid at all. I did get to haul 150 square bales in the other day, all by myself...no driver or anything. Now that is fun, especially when you don't get paid! :D

I fondley remember my hay hauling days;) One of the biggest regrets that I have for my boys is the invention of the round bale:D :D I think every young man should haul hay ar some point in their early years. It not only builds character, it gives you direction:) :)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I fondley remember my hay hauling days;) One of the biggest regrets that I have for my boys is the invention of the round bale:D :D I think every young man should haul hay ar some point in their early years. It not only builds character, it gives you direction:) :)
We have round bales, my dad just wanted to stock up on square ones before I head off to college. He's always looking out for me. I can't complain, I know that rockdale80 has hauled more in his lifetime than I have, but I'm pretty sure he got paid for his efforts, not saying that I expect or demand the money.

AggieJohn
07-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
It not only builds character, it gives you direction:) :) "to the shed" is not the direction i'm looking for

pirate44
07-14-2006, 06:23 AM
soudns like a great job. im all for, paying well for hard work. sounds like BBDE has the same type of employer as i did growing up :D it all pays off in the end though

olddawggreen
07-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
We have round bales, my dad just wanted to stock up on square ones before I head off to college. He's always looking out for me. I can't complain, I know that rockdale80 has hauled more in his lifetime than I have, but I'm pretty sure he got paid for his efforts, not saying that I expect or demand the money.

Instead of paying you, your dad is probably giving you free lessons ;)

There was an old retired coach in the Bertram area that I knew when I was growing up, that while he was still coaching, used to "teach" his players how to build fences. From what I heard, he never charged his players a dime for the lessons.:D (I got to where I would run and hide somewhere when I saw him coming up the road)

Unfortunatly, I never had the opportunity to play for him, or take fence building lessons from him ( We had pleanty of our own fences to build and hay to haul):(

And by the way, when we had the opportunity to haul hay for other's to make our spending money, we usually got 8 cents a bale for hauling from the field to the barn. That was $80.00 for every 1,000 bales we hauled. We split that between the 2 ot 3 of us that were hauling. Man, we hauled a lot of hay. Ahhh the good old days:)

olddawggreen
07-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
"to the shed" is not the direction i'm looking for

Actually for me it was the direction to the Navy so I could go to college:)

44INAROW
07-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by football4life
well i have to say that i am very fortunate as far as my summer job. i work my own hours, schedule my own clients, and didn't have to pay for my equipment. I run "The Car Spa - Mobile wash and detail." I have a small trailer, a 300 gallon water tank, a generator, and power washer, along with chemicals such as glass cleaner, armor-all, soap, stuff like scents and bug remover, and the all-mighty all purpose cleaner. all i pay for is the refills on some of the chemicals. Everything is owned by my aunt and uncle, and since my cousin no longer runs it, it was passed down to me. i charge $25-35 per car, inside and out, and it takes about 2 hours per car. This week i have worked about 17 hours and made $280, most people pay me $5-10 extra than what i charge! if there is nothing like this in your town, i would strongly recommend looking into this, as the business is non-stop and the money is very good. i don't even work afternoons, since it's hot and i'm lazy.

that's a great idea........ I assume "word of mouth" is working? Do you go around looking for jobs or do folks call you and you'll set up a time etc?