PDA

View Full Version : Secretary Williams Rules on Ballot Names

AggieJohn
07-13-2006, 09:35 AM
AUSTIN, July 10, 2006 - Secretary of State Roger Williams today notified independent candidates, Richard “Kinky” Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn, on his final determination of how their names will appear on the November ballot. Secretary Williams ruled that both candidates’ names will appear in accordance with the election code as it pertains to the form of name on the ballot.

“Your letter does not articulate any facts that would counter my interpretation that the use of ‘Grandma,’ in the context of Carole Keeton Strayhorn’s name appearing on the ballot, is a slogan and as such is prohibited by the Texas Election Code,” Williams stated in a letter to Ms. Strayhorn’s attorney Roy Minton. “In compliance with Section 52.031 of the Texas Election Code, Carole Keeton Strayhorn’s name will be certified for the November 2006 General Election Ballot as Carole Keeton Strayhorn.”

The Secretary of State took into account several factors in making this ruling, including:

Ms. Strayhorn has never appeared on the ballot under the name “Grandma”
Ms. Strayhorn’s declaration of intent lists her name as Carole Keeton Strayhorn
Ms. Strayhorn’s petitions list her candidate name as Carole Keeton Strayhorn
The only reference to “Grandma” in communication with the Secretary of State’s office appears on Ms. Strayhorn’s campaign literature
The term “Grandma” is not found on any of Ms. Strayhorn’s official letterhead or communication with the Secretary of State
Williams also notified the campaign of Mr. Friedman that his name will appear on the ballot as Richard “Kinky” Friedman in accordance with Texas law.

“The Texas Legislature has designated me to serve as the Chief Election Officer of the State of Texas and, in that capacity, I am vested with the authority to obtain and maintain uniformity in the application, operation and interpretation of the Texas Election Code,” stated Williams letter to Friedman’s General Counsel Blake Rocap. “In compliance with Section 52.031 of the Texas Election Code, Mr. Friedman’s name will be certified for the November 2006 General Election Ballot as Richard “Kinky” Friedman.”

duckbutter
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
C'mon Kinky!!!!!

CHS_CG
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
C'mon Kinky!!!!!

that just sounds so wrong in many ways!