PDA

View Full Version : Michael Young All Star MVP; Best Player in the MLB?

Keith7
07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
The Texas Rangers Mike Young won the game for the American league with a clutch hit in the 9th inning with guys on second and third with two outs. With two strikes on him, Young took a Hoffman fastball to the right center ally for a triple, and making the score 3-2.
Anyways after all of this, Young was named MVP of the All-Star game. So that got me thinking, if Michael Young is the best player in a game with all of the best players in it, wouldn't that mean that he is the best player in the league??

Emerson1
07-11-2006, 10:49 PM
2nd time in the past few years a Texas Ranger has hit a game winning homerun. I'm gonna have to catch sports center tonight.

GreenMonster
07-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, tonight he was anyways. Remember about 10 1/2 years ago a Cowboy cornerback named Larry Brown? No????? He was the MVP of the Super Bowl vs. the Steelers. Never heard from him again. Hope ol' Mike Young has better luck than that guy.

Bull Butter
07-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...........

Albert Pujols or Michael Young?

I think I'll stick with Pujols:)

Buccaneer
07-11-2006, 11:00 PM
How could he be the best player in the league when he plays for a team that is not even the best in Texas.

Keith7
07-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
How could he be the best player in the league when he plays for a team that is not even the best in Texas.

Valid point!

htowntransplant
07-12-2006, 02:57 AM
i think the NL is cursed. 1 out away from a win and they blew it....gaaaaahhh. alot of guys are better than michael young. the game winning triple could have been hit by anyone in the game, and it just happened to be young....but it doesnt make him the best player. david wright may be the best player in baseball judging by his first half numbers and gold glove caliber defense playing for the best team in the NL right now...

DU_stud04
07-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Hmmmmmmmm...........

Albert Pujols or Michael Young?

I think I'll stick with Pujols:)

pujols is a beast. he hands down is the best player playing right now. young is a canidate for a good 3rd or 4th

JasperDog94
07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Phil Garner has had terrible luck with closers. Want a closer to blow it? Just let Garner manage for a few games.:doh:

Macarthur
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
i think the NL is cursed. 1 out away from a win and they blew it....gaaaaahhh. alot of guys are better than michael young. the game winning triple could have been hit by anyone in the game, and it just happened to be young....but it doesnt make him the best player. david wright may be the best player in baseball judging by his first half numbers and gold glove caliber defense playing for the best team in the NL right now...

You are showing your bias. There are not "alot" of guys better than Mike Young. I'm not saying he's the best in the game, but to say there are "alot" better is crazy. However, I do think he's probably the most underrated and overlooked player in the league. I don't believe anyone could have done what he did. The only 2 strike hitter better is Ichiro. He is absolutely clutch. David Wright is having a great year, but it's way too early to call him the best player. I think we need to see a body of work before someone can get that title.

Snyder_TigerFan
07-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
So that got me thinking, if Michael Young is the best player in a game with all of the best players in it, wouldn't that mean that he is the best player in the league??

I think that title is reserved for the NL/AL MVP at the end of the season and not the Allstar Game MVP.

Rabbit'93
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Quick question? Are we determining the best player based on hitting alone?

Try this

Who has the better glove Pujols or Young?

Macarthur
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

Try this

Who has the better glove Pujols or Young?

Young is probably an average to slightly below average defensive SS. He was a very solid second baseman. His range is limited.

Edge Pujols.

Cameron Crazy
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Go Rangers!

JasperDog94
07-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Most fans tend to looking at hitting alone. But hey, if you play in the AL you don't have to be a complete ball player. All you have to do is be the DH.:rolleyes:

Macarthur
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Most fans tend to looking at hitting alone. But hey, if you play in the AL you don't have to be a complete ball player. All you have to do is be the DH.:rolleyes:

So are you one of these baseball purists? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I want to pay astromical ticket prices to go see pitchers hit 5-6 times a game. Gimme a break.

Bull Butter
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

Yeah, I want to pay astromical ticket prices to go see pitchers hit 5-6 times a game. Gimme a break.

Hey! You didn't see that awesome double that Oswalt smoked down the line the other night???? Now if he had only learned that he has to touch first base.........:eek:

JasperDog94
07-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

Yeah, I want to pay astromical ticket prices to go see pitchers hit 5-6 times a game. Gimme a break. Yes. I think you should be a baseball player to play baseball. Not just a hitter.

htowntransplant
07-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
in that case, u should just hand the MVP trophy to big papi.

htowntransplant
07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Hey! You didn't see that awesome double that Oswalt smoked down the line the other night???? Now if he had only learned that he has to touch first base.........:eek:

that was about the story of the first half of the season for the astros. sure it was hilarious, but thats the kind of luck and hard times the astros have fallen under.

JasperDog94
07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
in that case, u should just hand the MVP trophy to big papi. If it were up to me I'd only allow baseball players to receive the MVP, not just hitters. You gotta show me that you can play the game day in/day out.