PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's sked for non-district best in area

Aesculus gilmus
07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.news-journal.com/sports/content/sports/stories/07112006_rick_3A_column.html

Gilmer's sked for non-district best in area

By RICK KRETZSCHMAR

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I've recently headed out on vacation, but one traveling luxury I can't afford is a recreational vehicle. That would be nice because I could sleep in my own bed, and those news reports in which ultraviolet lights are shined on hotel bed sheets are pretty scary and disgusting.

Once I come back to Longview, my next trip in my RV would be to Gilmer's Buckeye Stadium. I would get there sometime in early August with adequate food, drink and waste disposal.

I would stay put until Sept. 8. That's when Tatum's football team comes for a visit.

Camping for a month is a bit much, and the folks at Gilmer High School probably wouldn't be happy, but area football fans have had Sept. 8 circled on their calendars for some time now.

For those who haven't, please do so now. It's only Gilmer, ranked No. 1 in Texas Football's Class 3A preseason state poll, against the defending Class 3A Division II state champions and the top-ranked team in the 2A poll in Tatum.

Lennon Creer vs. Justin Johnson. Curtis Brown vs. Darnius Moore. G.J. Kinne vs. Cashas Pollard. I could go on for days.

It is the premier non-district matchup of the 2006 season, and even the playoffs may not be able to top it. I would recommend getting tickets as soon as possible.

And in a continuing series analyzing what area teams need in their non-district games, it's what Gilmer and Tatum need: an opponent that can give them a taste of a state championship game.

As for getting to Gilmer early, those who have been to Buckeye Stadium know it's a long walk if you don't get there soon enough for a parking place. I would love to relax in an RV for anticipation.

As far as food goes ... I make a mean pepper steak!

Here's a breakdown of area Class 3A teams with the 'What They Need' (WTN) scale of 1 to 10.

Spring Hill

Non-district schedule

Sept. 1 vs. Lindale

Sept. 8 vs. Daingerfield

Sept. 15 vs. Pleasant Grove

Sept. 22 at Chapel Hill

Sept. 29 vs. Winnsboro

What Spring Hill needs: Teams to get them better prepared compared to what happened last year.

Analysis: Spring Hill went winless in district play after a 4-2 record (including a forfeit over Whitehouse) in non-district last year, so were the Panthers tested enough? This year, it does look like Daingerfield and Winnsboro will be quality Class 2A teams, and Lindale is coming off a playoff season.

It's difficult to gauge how good Chapel Hill and Pleasant Grove will be, but Pleasant Grove does have a promising running back in Trey Reed. It's somewhat unconventional, but this schedule might just work.

WTN scale: 7.

White Oak

Non-district schedule

Sept. 1 at Winnsboro

Sept. 8 vs. Troup

Sept. 15 at Emory Rains

Sept. 22 at Bullard

Oct. 6 Texarkana Pleasant Grove

What White Oak needs: Toughening up to get an edge that gets the Roughnecks back into the playoffs.

Analysis: White Oak's enrollment is closer to more Class 2A than 3A schools. Games against Troup and Winnsboro are almost perfect. Rains is expected to be good, and Pleasant Grove is a nice wild card.

The only downside is a visit to what could be a weak Bullard squad, which White Oak whitewashed last year, 35-0. Still, it's close to the right schedule at the right time for White Oak.

WTN scale: 8.5.

Carthage

Non-district schedule

Sept. 1 at Henderson

Sept. 8 vs. Kirbyville

Sept. 22 at Pittsburg

Sept. 29 vs. Newton

Oct. 6 at Mount Pleasant

What Carthage needs: Avoiding overconfidence before the long District 20-3A road.

Analysis: Putting Carthage in District 20-3A was rough. Except for Center, all of Carthage's district opponents are at least 75 miles away. Only folks in West Texas have it worse at this level.

The non-district football games for Carthage are close enough to prevent road weariness, and since Carthage is used to Class 4A-level opponents, Henderson and Mount Pleasant are ideal. Newton and Kirbyville could be good home games as well.

WTN scale: 7.5.

Gladewater

Non-district schedule

Sept. 1 vs. Pine Tree

Sept. 8 vs. Emory Rains

Sept. 15 at Rusk

Sept. 22 vs. Wills Point

Sept. 29 at Lindale

What Gladewater needs: An aggressive adjustment period to new coach Scott Callaway's style.

Analysis: A coaching change usually isn't easy, so the Bears could use a game they win with relative ease that might help the transition. The trouble is that Gladewater may not get that easy non-district game.

Rains, Rusk and Wills Point could all make the playoffs in 3A (where they could run into Gladewater again?) and Lindale is coming off a playoff season. Pine Tree could be Gladewater's best chance for a non-district win (I'm sorry, Pine Tree fans).

It could have been worse. Callaway could have scheduled his old school: Big Sandy.

WTN scale: 6.

Gilmer

Non-district schedule

Aug. 31 vs. Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman (at Tyler)

Sept. 8 vs. Tatum

Sept. 15 at Daingerfield

Sept. 29 vs. Center

Oct. 6 at vs. Atlanta

What they need: Championship-caliber opponents to ready the Buckeyes for a state-title run.

Analysis: The first three games should be great. I've already mentioned Tatum, and Gilmer split two good games with Daingerfield last year. Out-of-state teams, such as Bishop Gorman, that travel to Texas should be good ... right? (Canton would have had more drama, but that topic has been well-covered).

Only a game against what could be a so-so Center team brings down the intensity level. If Atlanta regains the spark it had three years ago, it's the best non-district schedule of the area.

WTN scale: 9.

Sabine

Non-district schedule

Sept. 2 vs. Troup

Sept. 8 at Jefferson

Sept. 15 vs. Bullard

Sept. 22 at Brownsboro

Sept. 29 vs. Quitman

What Sabine needs: Confidence-building wins.

Analysis: Sabine has won just five games in the past three years, one winning season since 1998 and no playoffs since 1985. The Cardinals need to walk before flying.

Unfortunately, this schedule may not cooperate. Since Sabine is on the edge of being a Class 2A school, it's fine to schedule 2A schools, but Troup and Jefferson may be too much. Brownsboro looks tough, too.

On the good side, home games against Bullard and Quitman are ideal for Sabine's competition level. Kudos to opening on a Saturday against Troup. The only other area teams playing on Saturday in Zero Week are Longview and Paul Pewitt.

WTN scale: 4.5

Pittsburg

Non-district schedule

Sept. 1 vs. Jefferson

Sept. 8 at New Boston

Sept. 15 at Commerce

Sept. 22 vs. Carthage

Sept. 29 at Paris

Oct. 6 vs. Royse City

What Pittsburg needs: Momentum in a wide-open District 16-3A playoff race.

Analysis: Other than Liberty-Eylau, no other team in 16-3A had a winning record last season, so playoff berths appear to be up for grabs. Call Pittsburg the Goldilocks team, needing opponents that are not too hard, but not too soft.

In that regard, the schedule is almost perfect. Every team on the schedule should be a playoff contender, but none of them appear that they would overwhelm the Pirates. Depth could be a problem for Pittsburg against Paris and Carthage.

The only drawback is six non-district games courtesy of the UIL. There should be an amendment making every district have at least six teams, creating no more than five non-district games. The Pirates will need to keep something in reserve.

WTN scale: 8.5.

Sweetwater Red
07-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Sweetwater and Snyder both have pretty salty non-district
schedules. But, as for as their whole schedules...not very tough.

lostaussie
07-11-2006, 04:18 PM
our district not either. but our non-district is one of the best we have had in several years.