PDA

View Full Version : Where do You Play Your Best Athletes?

Bullaholic
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
This has been discussed before, but I would like the opinions of many who were not on the site the last time this thread came up as well as the "regulars".

Where do you play most of your best athletes? On Offense or Defense? Or both ways? "Platooning" is getting more common in 3A, and many games have been won in the later quarters by wearing down opponents who go "both ways". Conversely, many state title teams with really good athletes have played them "both ways" and come away with titles.

big daddy russ
07-10-2006, 02:45 PM
In Ingleside, we've had a small group of guys who are just absolute studs for a while now, so about half of our players go both ways. The very best athletes, though, usually play more offens, but our offense requires all our speed on that side of the ball.

Old Tiger
07-10-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm going to go with the generic answer...

Where they best help the team.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm going to have to say both ways. As a player, knowing that you're better, you do not want to stand on the sidelines and watch even if you're tired, especially when you're losing. If I were a coach I would much rather lose with my best 11 players on the field than having them stand on the sidelines, worrying if they might get a little winded.

tigerpride_08
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
our best players also go both ways...

CHS_CG
07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
our best players also go both ways...

:thinking: :thinking: really now interesting.. even though thats a tad bit more than some of us needed to know!:D

Sweetwater Red
07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Most teams best athletes play multiple positions. Those are
usually the skill postions.

tigerpride_08
07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
well this year they will have too...use to not have to but looks like we will have too...oh well its no secret if you knew how small we are...but we make it up with speed...

Haunta Yo
07-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
...worrying if they might get a little winded.

Been on both side of the arguement. Won with both and have lost with both.

Winded ain't the problem, but if you're planning on playing into December injuries are BIG. You'll need your studs on both sides at certain times during the playoff games, but everydowing them is just just as bad a "platooning" without exception.

Better get some depth developed by week 10 or it's gonna be a short playoff run. When you lose 1 player to injury you lose 2 positions.

At the same time, the level of playoff talent can get you in some pretty big mismatches as a "Platooner".

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Ours plays both sides also.

Emerson1
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Playing both ways an entire game shouldn't be hard for a HS player. I played a couple games where I never stepped off the field. But then again I wasn't running the ball like most 2 way players would.

If you have players going both ways the entire game, they should be good enough that they don't have to play the second half.