PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stages 7 & 8.

Phil C
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry I haven't updated but over the weekend the Tour had two great races. There was a time trial on Saturday and it was an bad day for most Americans. George Hincapie was a disappointment but he is still in stricking distance but he must have fantastic mountain races. Floyd Landis has done the best and is considered a favorite but not definate. He is in second place overall and with the mountains coming up he could take charge. We will see.
Unfortunately, Jan Jullich crashed and is out of the race. He would have been considered a possibility winner but I think Landis is the one who might be able to pull it off.

On Sunday there was basically a sprinters race but some escapees hit early and since they were no threat for the yellow jerseys the peloton basically let them go and they won the first three places. Hence there was no change in the overall standings.

Adidas410s
07-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
there was no change in the overall standings.
yawn....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phil C
07-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Today is a rest day and tomorrow will be one more sprinters' race and then the mountains start!

turbostud
07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Phil its Bobby Julich that crashed and is out of the race with a wrist injury and Floyd Landis announced he is having hip replacement surger after the season. Thats the same surgery that ended Bo Jackson's career. I dont think Landis will race again after that surgery but we will see.

Phil C
07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Phil its Bobby Julich that crashed and is out of the race with a wrist injury and Floyd Landis announced he is having hip replacement surger after the season. Thats the same surgery that ended Bo Jackson's career. I dont think Landis will race again after that surgery but we will see.

You may be right turbo. I think his coach was quoted as saying he will have the operation after the tour and expects him to race again but as you said we will see. He may be waiting till after the tour to get the surgury done and he probably wants to win it since it is possible this may be his last chance.

Phil C
07-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I forgot to mention it that Sehiy Hochar of the Ukraine won the Stage 7 time trial and still holds the yellow jersey but the experts don't consider him an overall contender.

Some good news for France even though it lost the World Cup in Soccer is that Sylvain Catzati of France won Stage 8 of the Tour de France.