PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Two Quarterbacks

Phil C
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
A lot of this information I got from another web site but it is an interesting analysis.

Rhett Bomar was one of the most highly recruited quarterbacks from the State of Texas. He chose to go to Oklahoma. Another highly recruited quarterback from the State of Texas was Bobby Layne who went to UT in the 40s.

Many Oklahoma fans point out that Bomar is young and has great years ahead of him which he probably does. But it is interesting at age 21 (he turned 21 on 7-2-06) he has played one year for Oklahoma and still has three years left to play for Oklahoma if he doesn't try to go to the NFL early which I doubt will but I could be wrong.

Now Bobby Layne turned 21 on December 19, 1947. He had gone to UT from 1944 to 1947 and had played three years on the varsity (freshmen weren't eligible so he didn't play for the varsity in 1944 and back then players only had 3 years on the varsity). In three years until his 21st birthday he was quarterback for UT and led them to a 27 - 4 record till then and had won a Cotton Bowl, mastered two different offenses, and outdueled the other stars of his era (except for the great Doak Walker and they broke even). He had only one college game to play when he turned 21 and that was in the Sugar Bowl game against Alabama which UT won 27 - 7. That win brought him up to 28 games which stood as most wins by a UT QB until Vince Young won 30 games. (Bomar might edge them out if he plays 4 years instead of 3 like I think he will). Also of note before his 21st birthday Bobby had served his Country in the Merchants Miranes during WW2 in the first half of 1945 but when the war ended he returned for UT for his 3 varsity years. He had a great pro career and led Detroit to 3 NFL championships before the Super Bowl existed.

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
If the Chief was here he would back Bomar up the whole way.!:D

Phil C
07-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
If the Chief was here he would back Bomar up the whole way.!:D

It would be interesting Cameron! :D

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
To tell you the truth i think he is wondring around here but im not sure...:D

Adidas410s
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
is there supposed to be some sort of link between the two guys...cuz I'm not getting it!:thinking:

Cameron Crazy
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
What do you mean? About the Qb's?

Rabbit'93
07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Don't think I follow either.:confused: The only thing I see they have related is they are/were both DI QB and both are/were 21 years old. Hmm another pointless UT thread. Nice:) ;)

Emerson1
07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Don't think I follow either.:confused: The only thing I see they have related is they are/were both DI QB and both are/were 21 years old. Hmm another pointless PhilC thread. Nice:) ;)

fixed

Phil C
12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Ironic the things that have passed since this post was first done.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-16-2006, 04:53 AM
IDK about similarities, but it seems one of the QB's was an honorable person, the other no so much. both had great promise and were highly recruited, but one held a level head the other let it encompass him and he is paying for it.

Phil C
01-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Also as we know now that Bomar had to transfer to Sam Houston State and sit out a year. He should be playing next year at the age of 22 for the Bearcats with at least 2 and maybe 3 years of eligibility.

Phil C
01-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
IDK about similarities, but it seems one of the QB's was an honorable person, the other no so much. both had great promise and were highly recruited, but one held a level head the other let it encompass him and he is paying for it.

Actually I didn't really intend it to be about who was good or bad or honorable or whatever. Just some interesting analysis for the most part was intended.

Bearkat
01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Also as we know now that Bomar had to transfer to Sam Houston State and sit out a year. He should be playing next year at the age of 22 for the Bearcats with at least 2 and maybe 3 years of eligibility.

That's Bearkats.
Sam Houston State University, Spelling cats with a "K" since 1879.

Phil C
01-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
That's Bearkats.
Sam Houston State University, Spelling cats with a "K" since 1879.

Oops! :(