PDA

View Full Version : Question for the South Texas Folks...

Snyder_TigerFan
07-09-2006, 11:26 PM
We are planning a trip to Corpus in the next few weeks and I want to get a deep sea fishing trip in. Right now, I am planning on going with Dolphin Docks. Do any of you have an other suggestions or had any luck with any others?

I also want to do either some bay fishing or fishing off of the jetties, any suggestions there? If you don't want to give up your secrets, I'll understand!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

SintonFan
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for giving us time.:) I'll pm you who knows the best spots there in the next few days.:cool:

Snyder_TigerFan
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
ttt:)

big daddy russ
07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Dolphin Docks is cool if you're looking for snapper, grouper, etc. They have a couple of big party boats that go out with like 50 people and fish offshore. You hear about a couple of people bringing home some great game fish from time to time-- shark, wahoo and kingfish. If I remember correctly, they also do bay fishing trips. I know there's an old ferry out there that's been converted to a party boat and takes people bay fishing for reds nowadays.

Most of the good spots are only accessible by boat or swimming. I know if you feel like driving another 30-45 minutes farther south, Baffin Bay is great fishing. If you're looking a little closer to Port A Aransas and Copano Bays are also great. Here's (http://www.coastalbendhealth.com/fishing/fishingguides.html) a list of Coastal Bend fishing guides. I've been out with Mark Lyons once, and I know Doug Bowers, Pat Hunt, Tom Hall, and Mike Nugent are all good choices for the Ingleside/Aransas Pass/Rockport area.

If you're looking for big game fish offshore fishing (shark, mahi, marlin, sailfish, tuna, etc.) your best bet is to charter an offshore boat. It'll cost you, though. I know Ronand's Offshore Fishing services out of Ingleside is a great pick, but it'll run you anywhere between $600-$1000 to charter it, depending on how far you go out.

I didn't know if it was a trip with just you and your family or you and friends and what you're going for, but I hope this answered all your questions. If you have anymore, feel free to ask. I'll help you the best I can. I'm sure APPantherFan could also give you some help if you need it.

Good luck.:)

Gobbla2001
07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I'll get with a guy at work who knows more about the spots etc... than I do in that area...

Check out those guides and try to find a good kayak one... I so want to get into that...

Ranger354
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
These guys in San Antonio talk salt water fishing all the time. I know that some of them have used Capt. Black with good results. As for the Off-Shore, I haven't been in a while and would hate to give you bad advise. Register and post a question on here.

http://p088.ezboard.com/falamoareaanglersfrm7

Ranger

Maroon87
07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Here's the weekend fishing report from the CC Caller Times FYI...

Fishing Report: 07.08.06
July 8, 2006

Aransas/Redfish Bays and northward - Remember that uprooting seagrass with an outboard propeller is unlawful in the Redfish Bay State Scientific Area. Rain has kept many anglers off the water this week. But between showers, they've caught trout in the deeper reefs of Copano, Aransas and San Antonio bays with croaker. Back-bay waters have been stirred and fresh because of inflow, so the front bay reefs are best. Croaker also caught trout this week in Mesquite Bay, along the backside of the island. Waders used soft plastic or croaker. Boat anglers used croaker. The afternoon bite has been better than most mornings this week.

Port Aransas - Between rains, the jetties are producing a mix of Spanish mackerel, kingfish, trout, reds, pompano, sharks and other species. The Jetty Boat is running out of Fisherman's Wharf (749-5448). Edges of the Ship Channel and sections of the ICW were good for trout during moving tides this week. Most anglers used croaker. East Flats and Shamrock produced reds on live shrimp, croaker or soft plastics. Sections of Brown & Root Flats, Lighthouse Lakes and Stedmans continue to produce redfish in shallow water and trout in deeper sections. Horace Caldwell Pier reported whiting, small sharks, Spanish mackerel, kingfish, sand trout and reds. Call (361) 749-2828.

Gulf beachfront - Anglers on Bob Hall Pier this week caught whiting, shark, Spanish mackerel. Driving has improved along the National Seashore and other area beaches. Anglers caught a few sharks, jacks, pompano, trout, tarpon, reds, mackerel, ladyfish and whiting this week from area beaches and gulf piers. Bait is plentiful in the surf. Bob Pier's bait & tackle shop and Sunset Grill is open daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Call 949-8558 or check www.bobhallpier.net or www.corpusfishing.com.

Offshore - Party boats and charters brought in snapper, kingfish, wahoo, a few billfish, sharks, a few blackfin tuna, amberjack, grouper, vermilion snapper.

Corpus Christi/Nueces Bays - No report from Nueces Bay. Anglers had been catching trout in the front- and mid-bay reefs with croaker. The Portland shoreline of Corpus Christi Bay produced trout on croaker this week. Around Ingleside, Dagger Flats and Ransom Island had been producing trout and reds. Reds are along the backside of Mustang Island. Most fish were caught with live shrimp, croaker or soft plastics. At Clem's Pier (949-8445) this week anglers caught mostly schoolie t rout and mostly in the evenings.

Laguna Madre/Baffin Bay - Anglers spent time trying to outrun showers this week. They had been catching reds around seagrass and potholes of Yarborough and Nine-Mile Hole with soft plastics and live bait. Trout also have been good along the ICW and westward along Laguna Madre between Bird Island and Baffin. Trout are in Baffin Bay's mid-bay rocks and along the south shoreline near Penescal. Trout also were caught with croaker or shrimp in deeper water from Laguna Shores and Emmords Hole to Compuerta Pass, along the west-side grass beds. Mostly nighttime small trout and reds were caught this week at Marker 37 Pier (949-8037). Cos Way (939-7513) and Red Dot (937-5347) piers reported lots of keeper and small specks, keeper drum and nighttime reds.

Choke Canyon Reservoir - Chartreuse spinnerbaits caught fish from dawn to mid-morning along north shore points with grass. No big fish, but good numbers. Later, bass fishing was consistent in depths of nine to 12 feet in the same areas. Catfishing has been good this week with most fish coming from moving water in riverbeds and in nearby hardwoods. Crappie and white bass fishing has been spotty. Visit www.tpwd.state.tx.us/ park/choke/choke.htm.

Coleto Creek - Bass are being caught around island, grassy banks, and inside main- lake creeks. Early topwater and buzzbaits continue to work well on main-lake points in creeks and near the island. Later, outside grass lines produced with Carolina-rigged soft plastics. Deeper grass continue to produce bass consistently throughout the days. The hybrid bass fishing at the Dike II warm-water discharge has been good on Rat-L-Traps. Check out www.coletocreekcabins.com.

Lake Corpus Christi - The boat ramps at the state park, Camp Bells, Fiesta Marina, Webers and Arrowhead are operable. Anglers caught black bass with topwater plugs and live minnows along shallow banks near the bluffs of Carmel Hills & Lakeshore Gardens. Catfish and gaspergou also were caught there this week with shrimp, shad and clams. Fishing was best during early morning.

Compiled by David Sikes

Have fun!:cool:

Gp83
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Bahhh...Fishing? People come to Corpus to see some of the finest hookers south of Pleasenton on Leopard street.:inlove:

Adidas410s
07-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Bahhh...Fishing? People come to Corpus to see some of the finest hookers south of Pleasenton on Leopard street.:inlove:

ROFL...

Snyder_TigerFan
07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Wow, thanks for the information guys!

BDR, it's going to be a family trip. I would love to do the big game fishing, but it's probably not going to happen $$$. I haven't decided yet on doing the 5 or 8 hour trip (since the family is going). After looking at their website again, I see that they do have a bay fishing charter for 4 hours. That may work better for the family, so that might take the place of the deep sea fishing. Also, we will probably just do some fishing off the jetties since that's easy to find, and after looking at the fishing report, there is alot of potential there. It's going to be a weekend trip, so time is of the essence.

Gobbla, Kayak? That does sound like fun, but that might have to wait until its a "just the guys" trip!

Snyder_TigerFan
07-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Well, the trip is this weekend, and I went ahead and went with the 8 hour trip. They said they are catching king fish and shark, so maybe we'll get into some.

Now I'm looking for a few suggestions on some good local (reasonable $) seafood eatin's in the Corpus/Port Aransas area? Anyone have any suggestions?

CalallenWildcat
07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Reasonable seafood...

Snoopy's Pier - under the JFK causeway between Padre Island and Flour Bluff (kindof hard to explain, ask around)

Virginia's - in Port Aransas next door to Trout Street. If fried food isn't your thing, don't go to Virginia's.

I could give you a couple of places in Rockport but that's quite a drive from Port A and especially Corpus.

Snyder_TigerFan
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks for that restraunt info, sounds like we will be eating at Snoopys.

Got one last question (I think). Got any suggestions on what the women folk (and kids) could do while we're fishing? They were talking about going to some Celena musuem http://forums.dragid.com/images/smilies/puke.gif. Any suggestions on cool local shops/specialty shops? Prefer not to tell them to go to the mall. We've been on the Lexington and to the Aquarium.

pirate4state
07-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Thanks for that restraunt info, sounds like we will be eating at Snoopys.

Got one last question (I think). Got any suggestions on what the women folk (and kids) could do while we're fishing? They were talking about going to some Celena musuem http://forums.dragid.com/images/smilies/puke.gif. Any suggestions on cool local shops/specialty shops? Prefer not to tell them to go to the mall. We've been on the Lexington and to the Aquarium. If they like antiques they could do that in Rockport. :thumbsup: When is your trip?

Snyder_TigerFan
07-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
If they like antiques they could do that in Rockport. :thumbsup: When is your trip?

We're leaving tomorrow.

AP Panther Fan
07-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
We're leaving tomorrow.

A day trip to the beach in Port A, lunch and shopping at all the surf shops would be fun.... :thinking: