PDA

View Full Version : Very best coach in 3A?

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Who is the best coach in the 3A ranks? I don't mean a guy that took a cinderella team to the title or something like that. IMO, I don't even think he has to have won a state title, but just a guy that does everything that has to do with coaching football, and doing it well. Taking the down year's in talent and overachieving, winning the BIG games, replacing key staff members with great coaches and of course the main ingredient, JUST WINNING. Their names will be good, but in depth credentials are what I'm looking for. I know of a few in 3A that I would rank way up there, but I'm not really familiar with all their credentials, just their win/loss ratios and such. Give me some names and info, please.

Homer picks are welcome 'IF' they are warranted...:)

IHStangFan
07-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Craig Hesseltine HC of the Ingleside Mustangs

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Hugh Sandifer (A. Wylie)...He's a master of motivation.

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Sandifer is definately one of my top picks. Hesseltine from Ingleside can gain alot of my respect this season if they live up their billing. They made great strides last year. Does anyone know Sandifer's overall record at Wylie? Consecutive playoff berths?

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Sandifer is definately one of my top picks. Hesseltine from Ingleside can gain alot of my respect this season if they live up their billing. They made great strides last year. Does anyone know Sandifer's overall record at Wylie? Consecutive playoff berths?

I'm sure Adidas410 does. But, he's gone til Monday.

IHStangFan
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Sandifer is definately one of my top picks. Hesseltine from Ingleside can gain alot of my respect this season if they live up their billing. They made great strides last year. Does anyone know Sandifer's overall record at Wylie? Consecutive playoff berths? BDR will probably have stats, but I BELIEVE Hesseltine took a 2-8 team to the playoffs the very next year. totally turned around IHS's program.

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
BDR will probably have stats, but I BELIEVE Hesseltine took a 2-8 team to the playoffs the very next year. totally turned around IHS's program.

Turn arounds tend to happen when a class full of athletes come
in. Not so much what the coaches do.

Sandifer plays with what he's got year in and year out. His teams
are always competive. Wylie never gets blown out.

gato 76
07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Hart
[B]Who is the best coach in the 3A ranks? I don't mean a guy that took a cinderella team to the title or something like that. IMO, I don't even think he has to have won a state title, but just a guy that does everything that has to do with coaching football, and doing it well. Taking the down year's in talent and overachieving, winning the BIG games, replacing key staff members with great coaches and of course the main ingredient, JUST WINNING. Their names will be good, but in depth credentials are what I'm looking for. I know of a few in 3A that I would rank way up there, but I'm not really familiar with all their credentials, just their win/loss ratios and such. Give me some names and info, please.

I can think of 3 coaches,Dale Keeling from Everman he won when they were in 3a,Mark Reeve from Cuero,Dan Hooks from WOS,the last two have great programs and could win in 4a.

injuredinmelee
07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Sandifer hands down. He has taken kids that are mostly just average and turned them into consistent winners.

IHStangFan
07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

exactly, just the opposite happened...all of the "studs" graduated and he had a bunch of freshmen and sophs. w/ the exception of a big lineman in Michael Mosmeyer. Ingleside was LOADED w/ talent when Lewis was the HC, he just didn't utilize it......it was actually pretty pathetic. Hesseltine on the other hand is a credit to Ingleside's program, and will no doubt have his team ready dispite losing their QB. Will they be the same? Probably not, but he will find a way to make it work. That being said, I like your pick as well :)

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 10:21 PM
The one guy that really amazed me was Coach Barbay from Newton. I know they're 2A now and they've played in the last two state title games, winning one of them. But, being a yearly threat the way they were in 3A and consistently being on the low end of the numbers was truly amazing. I'm sure there are a few more like that in 3A that I'm not remembering, that's why I'm trying to get some names and info to jog the memory a bit...

Crimestick
07-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Dan Hooks at WO-S:

Overall record of 225-58-2 (accounting for WO-S's top winning percentage in TX - over Permian)
Two state titles in 4A
Four state finals appearances in 4A (2-2 record, 86, 87, 88, 2000)
Seven 10-0 regular seasons
Two 15-win seasons
One undefeated season
Last losing season was 1983 in 5A
Average of 9.3 wins per season
Also very successful in having players recruited to D1 teams, including four in the classes of 06 and 07 and 11 since 1999 (Kerry Franks at A&M, Deon beasley and Earl Thomas at UT, Tommy Chavis at Missouri, Gayron Allen at Oklahoma, LaDarius White at UH, Jacoby Franks at Texas Tech, Joey Byerly at North Texas and the trio of Michael Ledet, Jermaine Hope and Jeff Thibodeaux at Tulsa).

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:28 PM
The one guy that really amazed me was Coach Barbay from Newton. I know they're 2A now and they've played in the last two state title games, winning one of them. But, being a yearly threat the way they were in 3A and consistently being on the low end of the numbers was truly amazing. I'm sure there are a few more like that in 3A that I'm not remembering, that's why I'm trying to get some names and info to jog the memory a bit...

Last year, Tatum was one of the smallest 3A schools in the state.
They beat us 32-19 in the semi's before beating Hutto for the
title. On paper, they should run through 2A next season.

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
exactly, just the opposite happened...all of the "studs" graduated and he had a bunch of freshmen and sophs. w/ the exception of a big lineman in Michael Mosmeyer. Ingleside was LOADED w/ talent when Lewis was the HC, he just didn't utilize it......it was actually pretty pathetic. Hesseltine on the other hand is a credit to Ingleside's program, and will no doubt have his team ready dispite losing their QB. Will they be the same? Probably not, but he will find a way to make it work. That being said, I like your pick as well :)

Gotchya. He sounds like a top notch HC.:D

Bull Butter
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Not sure about WOS, but Everman and Cuero are loaded with athletes. Great coaching involves taking kids who are not gifted physically and winning with them.

Monty Stumbaugh of Port Isabel takes teams that are not as big, not as fast as others and usually makes deep playoff runs with them. An old coach told me once "If you can coach in the valley, you can coach anywhere" This is not to say all RGV coaches are great coaches. What he meant was that coaches down here have to work harder, especially in the playoffs, to make up for their teams' lack of size and speed.

Another reason, I bring up Stump is that his teams peak at the right time. They almost always play their best football late in the season. In the 5 years he has been at Port Isabel, the Tarpons have a record of 9-12 in games before Oct. 1. After October 1, they are 34-8, including a playoff record of 11-5.

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Last year, Tatum was one of the smallest 3A schools in the state.
They beat us 32-19 in the semi's before beating Hutto for the
title. On paper, they should run through 2A next season. Who's their coach? I don't have my DCTF handy. Good example though, that's what i'm talking about...

injuredinmelee
07-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I like what Kent Jackson has done in Sweetwater over the last few years. Instilled a renewed sense of pride.

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:35 PM
That record could be a sign of tough non-district scheduling.:D

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Not sure about WOS, but Everman and Cuero are loaded with athletes. Great coaching involves taking kids who are not gifted physically and winning with them.

Monty Stumbaugh of Port Isabel takes teams that are not as big, not as fast as others and usually makes deep playoff runs with them. An old coach told me once "If you can coach in the valley, you can coach anywhere" This is not to say all RGV coaches are great coaches. What he meant was that coaches down here have to work harder, especially in the playoffs, to make up for their teams' lack of size and speed.

Another reason, I bring up Stump is that his teams peak at the right time. They almost always play their best footballlate in the season. In the 5 years he has been at Port Isabel, the Tarpons have a record of 9-12 in games before Oct. 1. After October 1, they are 34-8, including a playoff record of 11-5. Good stuff Bull Butter! When you stop and think about it there are some really GREAT coaches in 3A that you seldom hear about. Not taking anything away from the great coaches like Hooks, Sandifer, Keeling and Reeves, but they usually play with a pretty stacked deck(except Sandifer). Although, what Hooks did in 4A was impressive. ..

lostaussie
07-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Jeff Traylor took the Gilmer program from an afterthought to a 3A powerhouse. His only head coaching job, Jeff has "come home" to post a remarkable 61-13 record with a state championship in only six years. That record will only improve by seasons end.

Sweetwater Red
07-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Who's their coach? I don't have my DCTF handy. Good example though, that's what i'm talking about...

Got it right here!

Andy Evans is his name. They are returning 20 lettermen and
6 offensive and 6 defensive starters from the 3A DII State
Championship team.:eek:

gato 76
07-08-2006, 10:40 PM

Another reason, I bring up Stump is that his teams peak at the right time. They almost always play their best football late in the season. In the 5 years he has been at Port Isabel, the Tarpons have a record of 9-12 in games before Oct. 1. After October 1, they are 34-8, including a playoff record of 11-5.

Was this coach there when they had those playoffs games with Sealy during the TJ Mills era.

Chris Hart
07-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Jeff Traylor took the Gilmer program from an afterthought to a 3A powerhouse. His only head coaching job, Jeff has "come home" to post a remarkable 61-13 record with a state championship in only six years. That record will only improve by seasons end. That is impressive Lostaussie. I remember him taking some real flack a few years back saying " we will win state" before the season even started. I personally liked it. I don't think that was the year you guys won it, but it wasn't long after when yall did. It takes guys with some stones, so to speak to make a statement like that. I'm sure the people in Gilmer have forgiven him for lying to them that season, lol:D

Bull Butter
07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Was this coach there when they had those playoffs games with Sealy during the TJ Mills era.

No, that was Tony Villarreal who went on to PSJA North, Brownsville Hanna and now is at Weslaco. Gabe Pena was the coach the 2nd time they played Sealy. Pena struggled at PI, only having a .500 record in 5 years as Head Coach. Stump followed Pena and has restored PI to it's glory.

lostaussie
yep, we only went 13-1 that season. folks around here are pretty sure we were the 2nd best team in the state. that Atlanta buzz saw worked us over.

Crimestick

I don't really think you can downgrade a coach just because he's got a lot of talent to work with - at least not if his winning is consistent. A bad or mediocre coach can bomb even loaded with talent. Just look at what Dean Colbert did at 5A Port Arthur Memorial. He had TONS of talent - possibly the overall most TALENTED team in the state (including Jamaal Charles) - and couldn't do ANYTHING.

smustangs
07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
i think sandifer he is a great guy great motivator and very smart and not scared to take a couple chances and they usually pay off big

Manck
07-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm incredibly biased, but seeing first hand what Jeff Traylor has done at Gilmer is WAY impressive to me.

I graduated in 2001 with some of the best athletes that have ever come through the Gilmer ISD. Paul King, Dustin Wilson (who moved out in 2000 or 1999), Olan Johnson, and a host of other guys in the skill position roles, along with some BIG boys on the lines. There is not a doubt in my mind that the guys on the football teams that graudated from 1997-2001 were better than some of the big recruits these days.

But for some reason, the entire 12 years I spent in the Gilmer school district, I never saw a playoff football game until I graduated.

Traylor, along with the system he uses, has EVERYTHING to do with this. Last year, I was sitting around talking with him during an eighth grade (or something) game, and we both conceded the fact that the class of 2001 had a crop of AMAZING athletes with no discipline.

Coach Mike Mullins (who is now successful at Cameron Yoe) was the coach from about 1995 or 1996-2000, and there's no reason Gilmer shouldn't have made the playoffs in those years. We finished in a four-way tie for first in 4A in 1997 and lost ALL THREE tiebreakers, but I can't explain it.

Jeff Traylor turned a team that spoiled people's playoff hopes into one of the most feared 3A teams in East Texas in four years.

He gets my vote.

Bull's-eye
07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Don't know the name of the coach at Wimberley, but that was the best coached team that I watched last season.

The Red Mustache really likes the coach at Tatum and also the coaches at Hempstead and Navasota.

ILS1
07-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I believe these names are correct:

Weldon Nelms- Wimberley

Andy Evans- Tatum

Lee Fedora- Navasota

:D

WOS1
07-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Although, what Hooks did in 4A was impressive. ..

I don't usually comment on threads like this because I try to stay away from being a homer, but I have to this time...

You are correct, what Hooks has done is incredible. He won for several years in 4A and went to the 4A state final with one of the top ten smallest enrollments in all of 4A. While in 4A (18 years) he never had a losing season. He had only one losing season in his whole career at WO-S (3-7 in 1983 5A). Yes, we have had great athletes, but going 26 years and only one losing season goes way beyond just having athletes. He will, no doubt, be in the Texas coaches Hall of Fame.

PlayaJBiehl20
07-09-2006, 02:00 AM

are always competive. Wylie never gets blown out. Coaches can make all the difference in the world sure you can win if you have talent but good coaches are what makes state champions

DU_stud04
07-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Sandifer hands down. He has taken kids that are mostly just average and turned them into consistent winners.

i will second, third and fourth that! hes a heck of a guy, great person. if sweetwater had a coach like that maybe we could have had a state here or there. always had the talent.

Aesculus gilmus
07-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Manck
I'm incredibly biased, but seeing first hand what Jeff Traylor has done at Gilmer is WAY impressive to me.

I graduated in 2001 with some of the best athletes that have ever come through the Gilmer ISD. Paul King, Dustin Wilson (who moved out in 2000 or 1999), Olan Johnson, and a host of other guys in the skill position roles, along with some BIG boys on the lines. There is not a doubt in my mind that the guys on the football teams that graudated from 1997-2001 were better than some of the big recruits these days.

But for some reason, the entire 12 years I spent in the Gilmer school district, I never saw a playoff football game until I graduated.

Traylor, along with the system he uses, has EVERYTHING to do with this. Last year, I was sitting around talking with him during an eighth grade (or something) game, and we both conceded the fact that the class of 2001 had a crop of AMAZING athletes with no discipline.

Coach Mike Mullins (who is now successful at Cameron Yoe) was the coach from about 1995 or 1996-2000, and there's no reason Gilmer shouldn't have made the playoffs in those years. We finished in a four-way tie for first in 4A in 1997 and lost ALL THREE tiebreakers, but I can't explain it.

Jeff Traylor turned a team that spoiled people's playoff hopes into one of the most feared 3A teams in East Texas in four years.

He gets my vote.

Mike Mullins is a good guy and a good coach, as he has proven at Cameron Yoe. A coach like Traylor only comes around once in a generation or more. It is obvious he has a natural gift from God for the job he has. I'm not saying he and his staff do not work hard and all that, but Coach Traylor's charisma and dedication and heartfelt concern for his teams is the key.

Now I'm not saying he could go 12 miles west and duplicate his achievements with the Buckeyes at Harmony. You have to have the athletes and "team speed" and all that. Harmony will never have that. No coach can remedy the athleticism deficits caused by someone slew-footed and slow like me.

Chris Hart still thinks Traylor predicted Gilmer would win state in 2003. I do not think this is the case. It is out of character to begin with. Traylor usually does just the opposite. He "sandbags" and claims there is hardly any way we can win. If a girls' team showed up to play us, he would no doubt claim he is "really worried" as the Buckeyes would not be able to focus because of the distractions.

One reporter claims he heard Traylor say that and got it printed in two newspapers. Traylor to this day denies he ever said it. Since there exists no tape of the incident, I'm going to go with Traylor on this one.

3afan
07-09-2006, 06:38 AM

that 34-8 mark is mostly due to playing very weak district opponents every year, don't ya think? 23-3 in district the past 5 years if my math is right. FYI I'm not knocking the coach at all .........

gtownpoke
07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
actually that was my senior year and coach traylor kinda hinted along the lines of our plans were to go to state. the reporter from the gilmer mirror got it to the longview paper and it blew up bigger then expected. it was okay with us because that really was our goal and our plans. like you said though we ran into atlanta and they were amazing that year.

gtownpoke
07-09-2006, 10:48 AM
by the way was the Fedora mentioned earlier related to Fedora the OC at Oklahoma State?

Ranger Mom
07-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
actually that was my senior year and coach traylor kinda hinted along the lines of our plans were to go to state. the reporter from the gilmer mirror got it to the longview paper and it blew up bigger then expected. it was okay with us because that really was our goal and our plans. like you said though we ran into atlanta and they were amazing that year.

Isn't that...or shouldn't that be every single coaches goal or plan??

ILS1
07-09-2006, 11:15 AM
by the way was the Fedora mentioned earlier related to Fedora the OC at Oklahoma State?

Yeah,I think it's his brother or some relative. Kinda cool!!!

:D

Bullaholic
07-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I can only make a "homer" post on this thread because I do not know enough about other coaches to make an "informed" opinion other than their records.

Coach Danny Henson of Bridgeport has probably done more with less talent in his 13 year tenure than most coaches in 3A. He took a 0-10 "doormat" program in 92' and took them to 11-2 in his first season of 93'. Bridgeport has been a perennial playoff team each season since, except 2 seasons and has been among the leaders in passing/receiving stats many seasons. I think it is probably recognized that Coach Henson is one of the best "Offense" minds in 3A and this has caused the Bulls to field a powerful spread offense each season that causes problems for defensive co-ordinators. If the Bulls ever get a "D" (and I take nothing away from our boys on defense---they play their hearts out) to match the "O" ---the Bulls will be a December team. I will only say that the Bulls are one of the most "exciting" HS teams I have ever watched---year in year-out, and I practically every game leaves fans on the edges of their seats and needing a de-fibrilator. We don't win em' all, but it is one heckeva ride. Hope some of you can take in a Bulls game sometime----c'mon down---it will be my pleasure to welcome you to Bull Stadium.

Ranger Mom
07-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I can only make a "homer" post on this thread because I do not know enough about other coaches to make an "informed" opinion other than their records.

Coach Danny Henson of Bridgeport has probably done more with less talent in his 13 year tenure than most coaches in 3A. He took a 0-10 "doormat" program in 92' and took them to 11-2 in his first season of 93'. Bridgeport has been a perennial playoff team each season since, except 2 seasons and has been among the leaders in passing/receiving stats many seasons. I think it is probably recognized that Coach Henson is one of the best "Offense" minds in 3A and this has caused the Bulls to field a powerful spread offense each season that causes problems for defensive co-ordinators. If the Bulls ever get a "D" (and I take nothing away from our boys on defense---they play their hearts out) to match the "O" ---the Bulls will be a December team. I will only say that the Bulls are one of the most "exciting" HS teams I have ever watched---year in year-out, and I practically every game leaves fans on the edges of their seats and needing a de-fibrilator. We don't win em' all, but it is one heckeva ride. Hope some of you can take in a Bulls game sometime----c'mon down---it will be my pleasure to welcome you to Bull Stadium.

I know the one game I watched them play was a barn burner!!:eek:

Aesculus gilmus
07-09-2006, 11:38 AM

I am sure that in his comments and motivational talks with the team that year, it was all about going to state. As Ranger Mom says, what coach would NOT want to have that as a goal for his team.

The story that made it into the Longview paper, in particular, though, absolutely infuriated Traylor. I know because he told me about it. There was some headline about how "Coach guarantees Buckeyes will win state" or something outrageous like that.

It was as if Jeff Traylor had started channeling QB Joe Namath before Super Bowl III in 1969 when he guaranteed his NY Jets, champs of the American Football League, would beat the Baltimore Colts and said there were five or six QBs in the upstart AFL (now AFC, more or less) which were better than the NFL champ Colts' QB named Earl Morrall. All of it was true and he backed it up on the field. Jets 16, Colts 7. Damn, I'm old. I remember that game like it was yesterday.
Here's an account of it, third story down on this page:
http://www.ravensnests.com/playoffs/po1968.htm

Manck
07-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Jeff will do some sandbagging on ya. Even when you're off the record and live out of town.

Maroon87
07-09-2006, 11:58 AM
It may have been only one year but I thought what Penland did at Hutto last year was pretty impressive. Not that I think he ranks with some of the other coaches mentioned, but they really came out of nowhere IMO.

gtownpoke
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
the reporter got it from the meet the buckeyes event that we had. coach traylor told the gilmer fans that were in attendance what we thought we could do and the reporter made it a lot more public.

RMAC
07-09-2006, 12:36 PM
My vote still has to go to Sandifer. Wylie's made the playoffs every year since I've been in grade school. They've had 2 or 3 10-0 seasons and he knows how to take teams that my have 2 or 3 stars on it and take them 2 or 3 deep almost every year. I know the kids that are coming up next year compared to the kids in my grade this year, and by comparing size and athleticism, if Sandifer can take these kids 3 deep, them I will be amazed.

bobcat1
07-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Butch Ford in Celina deserves mentioning after taking over for Coach Moore and getting moved to 3A, then back down to 2A and winning it all, now back to 3A. If you meet him and his staff, you will understand the reason those kids play all out for him. :thumbsup:

lostaussie
07-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Butch Ford in Celina deserves mentioning after taking over for Coach Moore and getting moved to 3A, then back down to 2A and winning it all, now back to 3A. If you meet him and his staff, you will understand the reason those kids play all out for him. :thumbsup: hey bobcat, i'm kinda thinking maybe ya'll could take up a collection and send my way to keep me away from Celina games:D. a very unique and storied program that is the envy of all the state. i have seen them play twice. they lost both times. you can make the check out to..............:D

bobcat1
07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Hey Aussie, Things will change for you this year. Come see...........;)

injuredinmelee
07-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
My vote still has to go to Sandifer. Wylie's made the playoffs every year since I've been in grade school. They've had 2 or 3 10-0 seasons and he knows how to take teams that my have 2 or 3 stars on it and take them 2 or 3 deep almost every year. I know the kids that are coming up next year compared to the kids in my grade this year, and by comparing size and athleticism, if Sandifer can take these kids 3 deep, them I will be amazed.

this wont be the most athletic class that Sandifer has ever had this year so I am interested in seeing how they pull together. The last time i felt this way about a team going into the season we lost to Gainesville in the semis at Birdville (2003). Of course Gary Edwards is still there and Matt Smith who has seen a ton of playing time as an underclassman. Every year at Wylie is a rebuilding year as srs get the nod in almost every case.

big daddy russ
07-09-2006, 02:12 PM

are always competive. Wylie never gets blown out.
I haven't read the entire post, but in the 1998 football season we had two players who should've been D-I prospects (senior Paul Campbell- 6'3" 230 lbs. 4.5 forty and junior DeWayne Jones- about 5'10" 180 lbs. 4.4) and about three or four kids who should've played D-II (Casey Dohogne, Steve Younk and Jensen Lockhart come to mind). I'm sure 303apastplayer remembers some of those Ingleside teams. We went 1-9 that year with a team that had about ten times the talent of the '95 team that went three deep in the playoffs. What's even worse is that only one of those kids wound up getting a scholarship, and he wound up ripping up the D-III ranks.

Talent was never an issue in Ingleside until recently. 2002 was the first year that there was a true lack of talent, but Ingleside rebounded the next couple of years.

When Hesseltine got there in 2004, he inherited a team that had gone 2-8 the year before and had graduated most of their studs. Because he had a big, brass set, he put in a bunch of sophomores and freshmen. His team went 9-3 the next year.

big daddy russ
07-09-2006, 02:13 PM
By the way, my vote is split between Sandifer and Jerry Vance of Liberty Hill.

Sweetwater Red
07-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Where is your awards thread? I wanted to get my nominations in.

big daddy russ
07-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Where is your awards thread? I wanted to get my nominations in.
I brought it back up to the top of the page for you. Just PM me your nominations. I don't really check out the thread for them.

BU97
07-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Yeah,I think it's his brother or some relative. Kinda cool!!!

Yes it is his brother. I knew Larry when he coached at Baylor in the late 90s.

BU97
07-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Who's their coach? I don't have my DCTF handy. Good example though, that's what i'm talking about...

Andy Evans is his name. He was a great coach when he was at East Chambers, he just finally got a team that landed him some recognition. The truth is that there are a LOT of great coaches out there they aren't recognized because their chips have not ever fallen in the right place. How many people said that Mack Brown was not a good coach this same time last year?

Gobbla2001
07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Yah, Cuero has a lot of talent so I guess I can see everyone's point with not having guys like Reeve as a top coach... but Cuero has always had talent, it finally took a guy like Reeve to know what he is doing with it... going from 5-6 in '02 under the Littleton Administration to 9-2 under Reeve in '03 in his first year with just 2/3 starters returning and 27-2 the last couple of years shows how well he utilizes the talent here...

Sweetwater Red
07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, Cuero has a lot of talent so I guess I can see everyone's point with not having guys like Reeve as a top coach... but Cuero has always had talent, it finally took a guy like Reeve to know what he is doing with it... going from 5-6 in '02 to 9-2 in '03 with just 2/3 starters returning and 27-2 the last couple of years shows how well he utilizes the talent here...

That's only because ya'll play in a weak region...:D .

Gobbla2001
07-09-2006, 04:06 PM
That's only because ya'll play in a weak region...:D .

Yah, the Region Wimberly came out of :D

wordonthastreet
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I will nominate Mickey Owens and his entire staff at Monahans. They went 13-1 this past season after being 4-6 the year before. According to Texas Football magazine, the single biggest turnaround of any 3A team in Texas. Thats the word on the street in West Texas.

Chris Hart
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

Chris Hart still thinks Traylor predicted Gilmer would win state in 2003. I do not think this is the case. It is out of character to begin with. Traylor usually does just the opposite. He "sandbags" and claims there is hardly any way we can win. If a girls' team showed up to play us, he would no doubt claim he is "really worried" as the Buckeyes would not be able to focus because of the distractions.

One reporter claims he heard Traylor say that and got it printed in two newspapers. Traylor to this day denies he ever said it. Since there exists no tape of the incident, I'm going to go with Traylor on this one. Hey Aesculus gilmus, I seriously didn't mean that as a slight to coach Traylor at all. I guess i should have said I remember reading where Coach Traylor said "we will win state" instead of typing I remember him saying it. But, like I said, I would've liked the comment even if that were exactly how he said it. That lets your team know exactly what their coach thinks they are capable of. I personally like that kind of talk much better than the sandbagging "we're going to give it our best this season" stuff. I know it may not be politically correct, lol, but then again I seldom am politically correct. Just thought I would clarify that I wasn't knocking your coach, but, rather complimenting him. I think he's a great coach!

Cameron Crazy
07-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I think Coach Bourquin lol but he is in 4a now..

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I think Coach Bourquin lol but he is in 4a now..

Bourquin had a great run in 3A. He had good teams every year. He has my vote. (I was tired of losing to him).

I nominate Leo Brittian. He coached Vernon to 4 semi finals (two of which he won -- 1 state finalist and 1 state championship team). He racked up something like 12 years of district championships in a row (I think they shared two with Graham). Then he left Vernon and took Wichita Falls Old High to the semi finals before he retired as a head coach. He has served as an assistant coach at Old High over the past few seasons. Not sure if he has actually retired all the way yet.

I'm surprised they haven't named our football stadium after him.

Cameron Crazy
07-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Vernon has some good coaches...and they have the talent!:clap:

Aesculus gilmus
07-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Hey Aesculus gilmus, I seriously didn't mean that as a slight to coach Traylor at all. Just thought I would clarify that I wasn't knocking your coach, but, rather complimenting him. I think he's a great coach!

I know you didn't mean it as a slight, but thanks for the clarification anyhow. Traylor can be cocky at times and, like you, I enjoy watching coaches and athletes like that, but he's not stupid. That was my main point.

As he explained it to me at the time, what possible motive would he have had to say that and cause the article to be posted as "locker room bulletin board material" for every upcoming opponent?

This year he could be quoted or misquoted as saying something like that and it would almost be irrelevant as every team is going to be gunning for the top-ranked 3A team. Back then, though, Gilmer wasn't that well known yet.

STANG RED
07-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by wordonthastreet
I will nominate Mickey Owens and his entire staff at Monahans. They went 13-1 this past season after being 4-6 the year before. According to Texas Football magazine, the single biggest turnaround of any 3A team in Texas. Thats the word on the street in West Texas.

That may be a great nomination. Only time will really tell. He certainly had one great year, but let's see what he does over the long haul. At least, it appers he has it headed in the right direction.
Personally, I'll have to go with Sandifer. He can do more, with less true talent, than any coach I have ever seen. Not that Wylie has'nt had some great talent, but I'm more amazed at the less talented, that he somehow manages to get so much overachievment out of.

Tiger Baseball
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Sandifer all the way. But what helps his program is he has the numbers to come out and play for him and that is what a good program will do.

LH Panther Mom
07-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
By the way, my vote is split between Sandifer and Jerry Vance of Liberty Hill.
I don't know if Coach Vance would be "very best in 3a", but he definitely "fits" us and has turned us from a "basketball" town (sometimes) into a competitor in all sports. :cool: We're no longer other teams homecoming game. :D

Sweetwater Red
07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I don't know if Coach Vance would be "very best in 3a", but he definitely "fits" us and has turned us from a "basketball" town (sometimes) into a competitor in all sports. :cool: We're no longer other teams homecoming game. :D

Wow! Actually being someone else's home-coming game...:(

Thankfully, Sweetwater never has that problem.:D

maroonpunt
07-10-2006, 10:28 AM
What about the job Coach H. did at his previous school, he had good talent and went 2-8, the new guy came in when talent was supposed to be gone according to Coach H, and he has gone 8-4 and 11-2 with back to back district championships...so whats the deal, has to be the talent...

STANG RED
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
Sandifer all the way. But what helps his program is he has the numbers to come out and play for him and that is what a good program will do.

Very true! It seems like every kid at Wylie comes out and plays at least one or more sports.
Sandifer is great, and still gets my vote, but lets be fair, and also mention, he doesnt have to face many of the problems that alot of coaches have to face daily. The vast majority of the kids at Wylie come from good stable homes, which makes his, and all Wylie teacher's jobs, alot easier to do than many others have it.

Sweetwater Red
07-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Very true! It seems like every kid at Wylie comes out and plays at least one or more sports.
Sandifer is great, and still gets my vote, but lets be fair, and also mention, he doesnt have to face many of the problems that alot of coaches have to face daily. The vast majority of the kids at Wylie come from good stable homes, which makes his, and all Wylie teacher's jobs, alot easier to do than many others have it.

Uh-oh !!!

thewyliefan
07-10-2006, 12:26 PM
you would be surprized that a majoratiy of kids dont play sports at wylie we just have kids that like to play multiple sports

and wylie isn't the only place in texas with kids having stable homes im sure so i don't think you can really count that in

Haunta Yo
07-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
...has turned us from a "basketball" town (sometimes) into a competitor in all sports.

...no problem with "basketball towns", but the worst town out there is one that "thinks" it's a basketball town.

STANG RED
07-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan

and wylie isn't the only place in texas with kids having stable homes im sure so i don't think you can really count that in

I never said they were!
There are good stable homes in all towns. And usually those kids from those homes tend to perform better academically & socially, because they have a good support structure around them. Wylie just happens to be in the unique position of having the majority of their students come from these types of homes. Wylie isn’t the only community that benefits from this. Every sizeable city has area/area’s that are in the same demographic, and it has been proven time and time again, those kids have a better chance of excelling.
I don’t see how anybody cannot know this.
Of course it makes difference!!!
It’s amazing how much better a child can perform, when not having to worry about where their next meal is coming from, or if the electricity or water is still going to be working when they come home, to a very hot, or very cold house. And these are some of the milder problems some of these kids may face on a daily basis.

Butkus
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Stang ole son did ya catch a big ole shark while ya was gone.

Sweetwater Red
07-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I never said they were!
There are good stable homes in all towns. And usually those kids from those homes tend to perform better academically & socially, because they have a good support structure around them. Wylie just happens to be in the unique position of having the majority of their students come from these types of homes. Wylie isn’t the only community that benefits from this. Every sizeable city has area/area’s that are in the same demographic, and it has been proven time and time again, those kids have a better chance of excelling.
I don’t see how anybody cannot know this.
Of course it makes difference!!!
It’s amazing how much better a child can perform, when not having to worry about where their next meal is coming from, or if the electricity or water is still going to be working when they come home, to a very hot, or very cold house. And these are some of the milder problems some of these kids may face on a daily basis.

Is this a case of comparing middle class kids to low-income
kids?

STANG RED
07-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Stang ole son did ya catch a big ole shark while ya was gone.

Nope! But I sure got sun burned. I saw lots of people fishing, but didnt see a single thing reeled in. I was hoping to see somebody wrestle a 4 or 5 ft shark in, but no luck. I guess they just werent bittin.
I even saw one of them thong bathing suits down there.
Problem was, it was on a man almost as big as me. Eeeewwww!!! What tha hell was he thinking?!?!

STANG RED
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Is this a case of comparing middle class kids to low-income
kids?

Income has very little to do with it!!!
It's usually just a byproduct of the condition.

Butkus
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Nope! But I sure got sun burned. I saw lots of people fishing, but didnt see a single thing reeled in. I was hoping to see somebody wrestle a 4 or 5 ft shark in, but no luck. I guess they just werent bittin.
I even saw one of them thong bathing suits down there.
Problem was, it was on a man almost as big as me. Eeeewwww!!! What tha hell was he thinking?!?! Gee old Stang that might blind a man if he wasnt careful now wouldnt it. Now it that hada been on a lil fillie it mighta been different.

Sweetwater Red
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Income has very little to do with it!!!
It's usually just a byproduct of the condition.

OK, then I am misinterpreting your original post my bag.

Butkus
07-10-2006, 01:17 PM
OK, then I am misinterpreting your original post my bag. Whats ya bag youngun.

Bullaholic
07-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Whats ya bag youngun.

Tiger bag limit? (apologies to the board....and away we go--again:D )

Butkus
07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Tiger bag limit? (apologies to the board....and away we go--again:D ) Thats a goodun Bull.:D Wonder what that limit would be.

footballgal
07-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
that 34-8 mark is mostly due to playing very weak district opponents every year, don't ya think? 23-3 in district the past 5 years if my math is right. FYI I'm not knocking the coach at all .........
What he did with last year's team confirmed even more about how good of a coach he is. You can say what you want about a weak district, besides few districts have strong district schedules. Oh what about he's playoff record?

neck_94
07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
hooks at WOS (long time)

Reeve at CUERO (short time-but good everywhere he has been)

Snydertigersrul
07-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Chad Rogers at Snyder

Adidas410s
07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Chad Rogers at Snyder

http://home.wtal.de/homer/home/ho_smile.gif

pirate4state
07-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Here is the Sinton homer vote everyone is so fond of: Jimmie Mitchell!! :clap: :clap: woo-hoo!!! :D

pirate44
07-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Here is the Sinton homer vote everyone is so fond of: Jimmie Mitchell!! :clap: :clap: woo-hoo!!! :D
:clap:

maestro
07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
thois of course is now outdated....but offensively game scheming...
my money was always with Coach Crow of Yoakum.

hawkfan
07-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Don't know the name of the coach at Wimberley, but that was the best coached team that I watched last season.

The Red Mustache really likes the coach at Tatum and also the coaches at Hempstead and Navasota.

Your talking about Weldon Nelms at Wimberley. Me and GreenMonster are former players of his. In My opinion, you will not find a finer coach anywhere in the state of Texas, Period. he cares deeply fopr every kid that comes through his Program. He takes weak programs and turnes them into winners. My Freshman year at Iowa Park, We were 0-10. four years later, we were 9-2 and would have 5 year stretch ofplayoff appearences. He is one of the main reasons why I am in the coaching profession today.