PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell's 06' Top 25......Re-visited

Bullaholic
07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
I probably missed the thread, but I don't know that we had a really "proper" discussion of this season's DCTF Top 25 picks. Maybe the mods could combine all of the DCTF threads into (1) thread for the sake of convenience and discussion. This is the only pre-season poll we will have to cuss/discuss for a few weeks.
Most of my comments on these teams will be pretty general, as I don't have much first-hand info on most of them. Please tell me if you think I am way off.....or do I need to say this?

DCTF's 3A Top 25!!!

1. Gilmer - Everybody's prohibitive favorite
2. Cuero - Some say Gilmer & Cuero could interchange for #1.
3. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau - Lots of talent from last season.
4. Giddings - Got a "stud" at RB. Everything else?
5. West Orange Stark - Overdue for late playoff rounds. A "must" year for WO-S.
6. Cameron - Perennial Centex playoff power--can they get by Hutto this year?
7. Palestine - Big school with some talent.
8. Carthage - Dark horse this season?
9 Wimberely- Can they do it again? Many think so.
10. Hutto - "The little engine that could"---They know "how" now.
11. Snyder - Got to love being rated ahead of SWater. For real?
12. Sweetwater - If they stay injury free--lookout! Dynamic duo.
13. Bellville - Always plays "tough"---fitting name-"Brahmas"
14. Celina - We all know the history--can they "step up" classes once again and succeed?
15. Hondo - Everybody overlooks this team each season.
16. Dallas Madison - Lots of "speed". Do they have enough of everything else?
17. Medina Valley- Been out of the "hunt" for a while. Is this the year?
18. Abilene Wylie - Can never count these guys "out" in any sport.
19. Van - Lots of talent.
20. Gladewater -
21. Columbia - Good athletes again this season.
22. Ingleside - Can they get by Sinton?
23. Rusk - Some say almost as much talent as Gilmer this season.
24. Canyon - Perennial panhandle playoff power. Enough "horses" to take it deep this year?
25. Wharton - Hungry like the wolf? On the "outside" looking "in" the last few years.

44INAROW
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
this will be a good one.. Nice Post Bull!

DukeNukem
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
can't say much about who got left out across the entire state, but my thoughts are as follows;

monahans should have been in there,

greenwood will be alot tougher than most think and could make a run,

sweetwater is way better than # 12. probably # 2 imho.

to dave's credit most of their rankings are on what they receive from coaches. coaches often either over hype or downplay their teams.

Sweetwater Red
07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
can say much about who got left out across the state, but my thoughts are as follows;

to dave's credit most of their rankings are on what they receive from coaches. coaches often either over hype or downplay their teams.

DukeNukem for Governor !!! :clap: :D :clap:

Ranger Mom
07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
DukeNukem for Governor !!! :clap: :D :clap:

I second that!!:D :D

Phantom Stang
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Hey!!
I know just where in the heck Giddings is!! :D

big daddy russ
07-06-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know if you'd put them in front of Gilmer or Cuero, but have you seen either of these teams? And if so, why would you rank the Mustangs ahead of them?

tigerpride_08
07-06-2006, 05:04 PM
i agree we have been on the outside looking in last couple of years...but hopefully we break out of that this year

ILS1
07-06-2006, 05:32 PM

It's actually the QB who gets MOST of the carries!!

wos fan1
07-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I probably missed the thread, but I don't know that we had a really "proper" discussion of this season's DCTF Top 25 picks. Maybe the mods could combine all of the DCTF threads into (1) thread for the sake of convenience and discussion. This is the only pre-season poll we will have to cuss/discuss for a few weeks.
Most of my comments on these teams will be pretty general, as I don't have much first-hand info on most of them. Please tell me if you think I am way off.....or do I need to say this?

DCTF's 3A Top 25!!!

1. Gilmer - Everybody's prohibitive favorite
2. Cuero - Some say Gilmer & Cuero could interchange for #1.
3. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau - Lots of talent from last season.
5. West Orange Stark - Overdue for late playoff rounds. A "must" year for WO-S.
6. Cameron - Perennial Centex playoff power--can they get by Hutto this year?
7. Palestine - Big school with some talent.
8. Carthage - Dark horse this season?
9 Wimberely- Can they do it again? Many think so.
10. Hutto - "The little engine that could"---They know "how" now.
11. Snyder - Got to love being rated ahead of SWater. For real?
12. Sweetwater - If they stay injury free--lookout! Dynamic duo.
13. Bellville - Always plays "tough"---fitting name-"Brahmas"
14. Celina - We all know the history--can they "step up" classes once again and succeed?
15. Hondo - Everybody overlooks this team each season.
16. Dallas Madison - Lots of "speed". Do they have enough of everything else?
17. Medina Valley- Been out of the "hunt" for a while. Is this the year?
18. Abilene Wylie - Can never count these guys "out" in any sport.
19. Van - Lots of talent.
20. Gladewater -
21. Columbia - Good athletes again this season.
23. Rusk - Some say almost as much talent as Gilmer this season.
24. Canyon - Perennial panhandle playoff power. Enough "horses" to take it deep this year?
25. Wharton - Hungry like the wolf? On the "outside" looking "in" the last few years. WOS made it to the Semi's last Year.

Gobbla2001
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
If Gilmer and Cuero are for sure the top dogs, I just wish they could be able to play each other... I just do not see it happening... It just doesn't look like Palacios, Goliad OR Yoakum (who is still without and AD/HC) could beat Gonzales, which would put Gonzo at atLEAST second in this five team district (sticking Cuero in D2)...

But looking at everything else I was surprised when I saw that Bellville was so low considering how much they have been talked up, are they underrated, overrated or rated in the correct manner?

And Hutto, I wouldn't say they're the little engine that could, they had a great '04 season considering where they had been and they were a worthy team last year... They had great coaching, cornfed linemen who were tough as nails, a great secondary that hit like none other, rb's who wouldn't get stopped on the first two pops and a QB that knew where to go and could turn it up a notch when he got there...

Wimberly? Do any of us know what they will do? Hell last year they stormed through the playoffs, maybe the stuff they lost won't effect them much and they are the 'true' numbre uno?

Ingelside? I think they can get by Sinton... But after that man I can't tell you, it's one of those "up in the airs"... they can pass for sure and they look to be promising on D this year... they're a scrappy club...

Sweetwater? Do they need to be below Snyder?

Snyder? Do they need to be above Sweetwater? Who knows, but we'll see both sides of the story the next, I dunno, 4, 5 decades...

Medina Valley? Is it the 'drop-down' hype or are they for real? we'll see...

Other than that, hell, anything can happen...

3afan
07-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I love all the expert analysts ---- cliche' city

but oh well it passes the time i guess :p

Gobbla2001
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I love all the expert analysts ---- cliche' city

but oh well it passes the time i guess :p

I like when people call stuff cliche'... Now-a-days its cliche' itself :p :D

Gobbla2001
07-06-2006, 07:27 PM
And on the subject of Wharton - They do have some good kids coming back, but their best team was about 3 years ago and it still ended ugly for them... Their QB is good, I've seen him, but it was just for one game... in that game he was quick and could throw a dart, but he wasn't as impressive as the Edna QB in my honest opinion...

I'm not anti-Wharton or anything, but don't hold your breath, they've had more talented teams step up to the plate and they just don't ever show up... dunno if it's coachin' or the kids...

So I hope I got you Wharton fellers hyped up, so now that you're pissed, tell me why this year is different ha (no, seriously)

3afan
07-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I like when people call stuff cliche'... Now-a-days its cliche' itself :p :D

true, true

Ranger Mom
07-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
true, true

:eek: :eek: adidas is gonna be mad at you!!!! You stole his catch phrase!!!:D

Manck
07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
It makes me smile to see NOTHING next to Gladewater....:):):):):):):)

And I found Shiner in SC! YAYYYY!

Cameron Crazy
07-06-2006, 07:59 PM
True True..:D

Bullaholic
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
WOS made it to the Semi's last Year.

Indeed they did, wos fan1....I didn't remember correctly. Sorry. Anyhow, with the WOS tradition, I know they want it "all" this year.

Bullaholic
07-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Manck
It makes me smile to see NOTHING next to Gladewater....:):):):):):):)

Didn't really intend to "slight" Gladewater, manck....I just don't even know enough about their program to make a general comment.

Sandman
07-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Manck is a Gilmer fan if I remember correctly, so he would rather you slight Gladewater all day. No love lost between the Buckeyes and Bears.

Old Green
07-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Didn't Gladewater lose their coach ? Husmann I believe was his name.

Gobbla2001
07-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Manck

Yah, I think it's 34 different states now?

Now all you need is a East Coast Reckless Kelly show...

New Album the 8th of August I already preordered that sucker

Manck
07-07-2006, 09:51 AM

I pre-ordered mine on Wednesday.

FYI, Gladewater DID lose their coach, but picked up coach Callaway from Big Sandy. The way Callaway got the Big Sandy program rolling, I have no doubt in my mind that the Gilmer/Gladewater games will be as close as they were in the 80s and 90s VERY soon.

lostaussie
07-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Scott Calloway is full of life and energy which will spill over very quickly into the Bear program. He doesn't recruit quite as well as our staff:D so we should be good at least for the next couple of years.:thumbsup:

Adidas410s
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM

forget Reckless...get the new Micky & the Motorcars CD. It's greatness!

Gobbla2001
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
forget Reckless...

:eek:

That's like me tellin' you to forget RRB!!!

I don't want to speak to you:hand: :mad:

On a more serious note I haven't found "Careless" down here anywhere, but I really would like to go to the Braun Brother's Reunion deal they have in Idaho and see them all together with their father etc... Would be neat to see Reckless Kelly and Micky and the Motorcars in their own back yard... still haven't seen Micky and the Motorcars live yet...

In the future I will make this trip...

Cameron Crazy
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
coolc

Gobbla2001
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the new Micky & the Motorcars CD.

Got it this evening... minus the title track it's like recycled Reckless Kelly... I like it though... the little brother isn't doin' too damn bad...

Matthew328
07-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Here are some of my general thoughts on just Dave's top 10....I think I'll release my top 25 on July 17....

1. Gilmer: easily everyone's number 1....anything less than a title is a failure for this team...can they handle the hype and pressure?? If they can they will breeze to a title...

2. Cuero: is this the year the Gobblers break through? Division 2 is theirs for the taking...if by some weird reason they go D-1 the Gilmer-Cuero state title game would be one of the most anticipated in 3A ever.....

3. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau: made the big run last year, bullseye is squarely on them now..poised for another run but there is a problem...bi-district vs. Gilmer...someone really good will be home early

4. Giddings: not sure what to make of the Buffs I thought they'd have a big year but they exceeded expectations before falling to West Orange-Stark...they'll likely go D2 this year...does that spell a run? Fitzhenry and Johnson are a leathal combo line play is the question mark....4 is a bit high for them IMO

5. West Orange-Stark: like their SE Texas bretheren Jasper WOS has dropped to 3A but has yet to win the title many predicted...Jacoby Franks and Earl Thomas are as good as advertised but can the supporting cast step up?? WOS looks like they'll take their chances in D2 also this year in a LOADED Region 3

6. Cameron Yoe: Yoe came close to getting over the hump but ran into district rival Hutto in the regional final...the Yoeman as always have plenty of talent and this year they have experience and leadership...this could be the year for them to male noise BUT 18-3A is a bear....its not out of the realm of possibility for Yoe to not even make the playoffs

7. Palestine: PHS may have the best set of LB's in the state in Smith, Whitfield and Beckworth if the Wildcats find playmakers of offense they'll be dangerous....that potential Palestine-Hutto area matchup looks juicy of course that is if Palestine can get past Dave's #8 team

8. Carthage: the Bulldogs still haven't made the big playoff run that was predicted when they dropped to 3A in 2002....in fact their best chance may have been in 2002 when they lost in the area round to Forney on a last second hail mary....the Bulldogs have a solid QB in Marcus Bowman and 3 options at RB look for the 'Dawgs to spread it around...

9. Wimberley: the state champs are being overlooked...not a good idea the Texans lost a lot but they have some playmakers back..RB Buse is as good as anyone...offensive line and defense were the big reasons the Texans won it all in 2005 and those are the questions heading into 2006....

10. Hutto: everyone's underdog from 2005 is now the big dog on the block...this could be the Hippos last two years in 3A as explosive growth makes 4A a possibility in 2008....Kerley is a grown man at QB and he just does whatever it takes to win...the key for Hutto is replacing both lines that were so good in the run last year..

ILS1
07-08-2006, 03:09 AM
this could be the Hippos last two years in 3A as explosive growth makes 4A a possibility in 2008

It's a guarantee that it's Hutto's last 2 years in 3A!!! Heck,they might not even stay in 4A very long either and just go straight into 5A by 2010.

:eek: :eek:

piratebg
07-08-2006, 03:17 AM

This is definitely the big question in 30-3a right now. Can they get past Sinton? I certainly think that they are capable, but the question should be will they. They put up quite a fight last year, and are certainly poised to do it again. I go back and forth right now. This will be a great game.

lostaussie
07-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I think I'll release my top 25 on July 17....

1. Gilmer: easily everyone's number 1....anything less than a title is a failure for this team...can they handle the hype and pressure?? If they can they will breeze to a title...

can't wait for your top 25 so we can cuss and discuss some more.

as for "anything less than a title is a failure" i disagree whole heartedly. Trayler and company go into any season with their eye on the prize. He will tell you that himself. But Gilmer has 1 state title in its history and has played for another. i would assume every player in the state that comes out for football thinks about a championship. so do our kids. but they only give out 2. if we don't win it all and we very well may not, you base your season on how your kids played and how they acted. did they grow into young men? i really believe Jeff is more interested in what he produces off the field rather than what he produced on the field.

Black_Magic
07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
can't say much about who got left out across the entire state, but my thoughts are as follows;

to dave's credit most of their rankings are on what they receive from coaches. coaches often either over hype or downplay their teams. I agree with your when it comes to Greenwood. they are going to be good this year. they have alot coming back and had a good team last year.
Monahans lost everything. they are going to be good but not top 25 good.
Sweetwater is a big question mark. IF they can demostrate that they can throw the ball with some success. IF the have a respectible offensive and defensive lines( lost everyone last year except one on O and two on D ) they may be good IF they can develop 4 more O linemen. You gotta have more than a couple of runing backs to be a top notch team.. Heck, Clyde has more coming back on O than Sweetwater and they almost beat them last year... Ok Ponys come and get It... LOL:kiss:

Matthew328
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I guess we'll agree to disagree lostaussie...with the talent Gilmer has it is safe to think that IMO......with my team Everman in 2002 they had most of the team back after winning it all in 2001 and anything less than a title for that team would have been considered a failure...

I am sure Traylor and the staff won't tell the kids that, if they did it would turn the pressure up even higher....but realistically its all about winning the prize this year for Gilmer...they have that kind of talent to say that

whartontigerBDC
07-08-2006, 01:50 PM
And on the subject of Wharton - They do have some good kids coming back, but their best team was about 3 years ago and it still ended ugly for them... Their QB is good, I've seen him, but it was just for one game... in that game he was quick and could throw a dart, but he wasn't as impressive as the Edna QB in my honest opinion...

I'm not anti-Wharton or anything, but don't hold your breath, they've had more talented teams step up to the plate and they just don't ever show up... dunno if it's coachin' or the kids...

So I hope I got you Wharton fellers hyped up, so now that you're pissed, tell me why this year is different ha (no, seriously)

YEAH BUT KEEP IN MIND WHARTON'S BEST TEAM DID BEAT CUERO IN A PLAYOFF GAME AT MEMORIAL STADIUM REMEMBER THAT?

Gobbla2001
07-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by whartontigerBDC
YEAH BUT KEEP IN MIND WHARTON'S BEST TEAM DID BEAT CUERO IN A PLAYOFF GAME AT MEMORIAL STADIUM REMEMBER THAT?

Well yah... Didn't Palacios beat someone last year?

That year Cuero returned 2/3 starters from a 5-6 team and it was their first year in a new system... and we STILL took it down to the wire...

Gobbla2001
07-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by whartontigerBDC

And what in the hell is up with that statement in the first place?

It's like tellin' your pre-k buddy that your daddy could lift more weights than his or something...

Damn, talkin' about '03? This is '06 REMEMBER THAT???

wedo
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbla2001
And what in the hell is up with that statement in the first place?

It's like tellin' your pre-k buddy that your daddy could lift more weights than his or something...

Damn, talkin' about '03? This is '06 REMEMBER THAT??? [/QUOTE

I was on that '03 team and i have followed Wharton since i can remember. And IMO the '03 team had more athletes on that team than any other Wharton team ever!! 3 guys in that senior class play D1 ball right now!! And yeah we ended on a bad note!! I hated to go out like that but its in the past!!

LH Panther Mom
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Not sure about that, but I know that Smithville won two games. :eek: :eek: :D

neck_94
07-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Couldn't resist,

I think they beat "off" last year in week 5

Gobbla2001
07-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by neck_94
Couldn't resist,

I think they beat "off"

Not talking about what they do in their personal time man...

Sseriously, didn't they win like 3 games?

Phantom Stang
07-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Couldn't resist,

Is'nt that special!!:eek: :eek:
:D

44INAROW
07-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Couldn't resist,

The WHOLE team? All at the same time? :D :D

IHStangFan
07-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
This is definitely the big question in 30-3a right now. Can they get past Sinton? I certainly think that they are capable, but the question should be will they. They put up quite a fight last year, and are certainly poised to do it again. I go back and forth right now. This will be a great game. the key here is going to be if the new QB for Ingleside can step up and fill the shoes of the QB they just lost to the family moving outa town....it will not be the same QB at the helm as last year. He was a true QB, tall, big arm, able to break down a D....Ingleside hasn't had one of those in YEARS!! (Since Peel on the 95 team) the QB this year is a RB that had to fill the slot. That will be the diff. maker...if he can step up and BE a QB...they should be alright.